The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goal line technology

+2
azania
Ent
6 posters

Go down

Goal line technology Empty Goal line technology

Post by Ent Sat 10 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

A quick topic to point out that QPR have just scored a goal which was not give, the ball was at least 1 foot (closer to 2) over the line before the goalkeeper clawed it out - with both linesman and referee missing it.

A few points I'd like to make:

This really matters, it is a crucial relegation tie - I would like it to receive large media attention.

I won't be holding my breath as it does not involve a glamour club, contrast this to Mendes at Old Trafford in a nothing game - because a high profile club was involved this was a disgrace and it should never be allowed to happen again, a bandwagon was formed.

But when the issue raised its ugly head again, in a relegation battle (West ham vs Bolton IIRC) and an FA cup final (United vs Chelsea) - games where this actually mattered, we got very little fall out.

This is a trend that is constantly repeated, people only care about issues with football in this country when it benefits the current top club, and in the last 20 years that has been Manchester United.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Goal line technology Empty Re: Goal line technology

Post by azania Sat 10 Mar 2012, 2:43 pm

I think its absolutely amazing that goal line tech is not used. The probable loss of two points because of a referee error and the lack of proper technology may cost QPR millions. Totally wrong. They could use hawk-eye which will resolve any problems in 30 seconds.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat 10 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

Football has to move with the times, cricket, tennis and rugby have all implement 'technology' into the sport to great effect and there's no reason why football can't do the same. It wouldnt slow the game down so IMO that argument is void!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 10 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

MtotheC wrote:Football has to move with the times, cricket, tennis and rugby have all implement 'technology' into the sport to great effect and there's no reason why football can't do the same. It wouldnt slow the game down so IMO that argument is void!

A decision would be made quicker than when some players writhe in supposed agony.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 11 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

If some players get paid many £10,000s per week it really ought to be possible to put in some goal line technology.

I suppose they are worried about knock on consequences. Where there may be perhaps one or two premiership games per season with a genuinely disputed goal line problem there are numerous games - far more - which turn on whether an incident was a foul or a dive and where it can be really difficult for the ref and linesmen...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:If some players get paid many £10,000s per week it really ought to be possible to put in some goal line technology.

I suppose they are worried about knock on consequences. Where there may be perhaps one or two premiership games per season with a genuinely disputed goal line problem there are numerous games - far more - which turn on whether an incident was a foul or a dive and where it can be really difficult for the ref and linesmen...

Following on from the Corporal's thoughtful post, I don't claim to have answers but wonder how far do you go and where do you stop. The decision yesterday about Hill's 'goal' was clearly unsatisfactory. However, it should also be noted that tv replay showed QPR should never have been awarded the corner in the first place.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:If some players get paid many £10,000s per week it really ought to be possible to put in some goal line technology.

Following on from the Corporal's thoughtful post, I don't claim to have answers but wonder how far do you go and where do you stop. The decision yesterday about Hill's 'goal' was clearly unsatisfactory. However, it should also be noted that tv replay showed QPR should never have been awarded the corner in the first place.

Interesting point. But I believe the technology should be used for the incident in question. Had the Bolton players disputed the corner, then the issue would be the corner. If it is found that the ref got the call wrong, then the corner would never have been taken.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

That linesman in the QPR/Bolton game was an embarrassment to the game. Saying that I don't believe it will have much difference come the end of the season as it only cost them 1 point, they will be about 5 pts or more adrift come the finish.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down