The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

+31
Chazfazzer
spuranik
djlovesyou
HarpoMars
JuliusHMarx
prostaff85
laverfan
Jahu
LuvSports!
hawkeye
sirfredperry
lags72
time please
Henman Bill
amritia3ee
Josiah Maiestas
Jeremy_Kyle
banbrotam
summerblues
legendkillar
lydian
ryan86
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
CaledonianCraig
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
gallery play
Tenez
noleisthebest
35 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 3 Empty ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

At last!

Tennis is back in town. And sleepless nights, and bags under the eyes in the mornings.

For a fortnight or so, we'll forget about fast courts and GOATs and watch some good tennis for a change.

Indian Wells first 1000 Masters event of the year, first "big" tournament after AO.

All players are there, fit and raring to go, the "come-backers": Davydenko, Querrey, Simon, the "newcomers": Tomic (I think he's already out), Raonic, Dolgopolov, and last , but not the least the "big" 4.

I'm sure you'll forgive me for focusing on the top 4 players, because at the moment, they all seem be pretty keen to win this tournament (which is not always the case when it comes to non-slam tournaments).

Nole, who loves slow hard-courts of IW, will want to continue where he stopped in Melbourne, and should he bump into Murray in the semis, show him who's the boss.

Nadal, match-free for nearly 6 weeks, must've worked on his game or serve in the meantime, 2012 is his make or break season in many ways, and it's usually this time of the year he gets going as a warm-up for clay season.

Federer, on a good winning streak since last autumn (lost only two matches, one to Nadal one to Djokovic), will want to get a good result and possibly close the points gap between him and Nadal, or at least keep Murray at bay.

Murray, with, I believe Lendl again by his side, must be hoping that this 2012 is his slam-break-through year: he has been working very hard for several years and generally improving his game and shots. His win over Novak in Dubai must have boosted his confidence immensely, still, he failed to capitalise on it and win Dubai, failing to Federer.
He has few points to defend in IW and Miami, and a great opportunity to move up the rankings.

The players have had a party last night, and all seem to be happy to be there and play.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv8T10SOE

Indian Wells has apparently continued to improve their facilities and make life nicer both for players and fans :

( http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/03/nice-work-if-i-can-get-it.html )

In today's order of play, we have some interesting matches, and Novak and Murray out on central court.

Order of play for Friday, 16th of March:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/404/op.pdf

So, let's enjoy the return of tennis and may the Best win Bubbly

Finally, last but not the least:

GO NOLEEEEE Yahoo

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:04 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : update of the order of play link)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 3 Empty Re: ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Dolgopolov Nadal two matches away could be potentially interesting.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 3 Empty Re: ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm

Ferrer Dmitrov a funny match, keep breaking each other....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:07 pm

They keep showing the women on my broadcast, switch to the mens tour for the love of god.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:11 pm

Watching Dimitrov and Ferrer and it looks fast..ball penetrating through the court. This is not the main stadium court. Main stadium court didn't look so fast...or is it the way they are hitting, or the camera angle...

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

socal1976 wrote:They keep showing the women on my broadcast, switch to the mens tour for the love of god.

they're showing women and YOU are complaining laughing

I'm watching Dimitrov Ferrer, pretty boring, Dimitrov wilting away fast....his tennis looks so lightweight compared to Ferrer. He really needs to improve his strength/fitness to be able to compete with "men".

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

Really funny: Dimitrov fans in the crowd (apart from Bulgarian flag), all wearing RF t-shirts Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm

By the way, this month was supposed to be when Murray takes Federer for 3. Looked that way for a while. Instead he has defended his zero from last year, and Federer looks set to continue at 3.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:45 pm

Murray brothers win their doubles match Smile against Ross/Fleming broken

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 12:24 am

Easy for Johnny DelPo really, the 4th best player in the world.

Watch and learn, Andy.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 12:34 am

Early break to the Dolgoku vs Darcis. Excellent.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:03 am

Nalby vs Cilic at the mo

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:33 am

bs tiebreak goes the way of Darcis (15-13). I am pisssed eman. Pray for me.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:50 am

Oh child Josiah, son of Maiestas,

do not be sad. It is the way of the world. The wheel turns, ages come and go.

A brisk wind is blowing.. I can feel it

There is a change in the air

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:54 am

Raonic vs Berlocq about to start, Fed too in about 20 mins

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la--sp-sn-iw-tennis420120311,0,7848267.story

Fed through safely 6-4, 6-1 but according to reports he was also looking a little washed out in post match interview and needed a 'comfort break' at the end of the first - though it sounds as if his family have a slightly different, less virulent, virus.

Quite a few spectators stricken as well as a few players.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

I heard Federer seemed quite more sweaty than is normal, must be an allergic reaction going round as a few others complained on day 1 or 2. Has to play Raonic next which should be tight affair and not many chances for breaks.

Consume that Chinese herbal remedy Mr Fed. Thou shalt recover efficiently.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

Players, ball boys,spectators - lots have been hit by the virus apparently

BBC courtside reporter on Five Live this morning reckoned that Federer, despite his seemingly smooth passage into R3, is quite badly affected by the virus (Mirka + daughters even more so). The very fact that he-who-barely-perspires has been noticeably sweating is itself evidence that all is not well !!

Raonic has all the armoury to put up a seriously tough fight, regardless of whether Federer is in good form or not. After a series of impressive wins so far this year, might this be Raonic's big 'break-through' tournament? Could be a close one......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

lags72 wrote:Players, ball boys,spectators - lots have been hit by the virus apparently

BBC courtside reporter on Five Live this morning reckoned that Federer, despite his seemingly smooth passage into R3, is quite badly affected by the virus (Mirka + daughters even more so). The very fact that he-who-barely-perspires has been noticeably sweating is itself evidence that all is not well !!

Raonic has all the armoury to put up a seriously tough fight, regardless of whether Federer is in good form or not. After a series of impressive wins so far this year, might this be Raonic's big 'break-through' tournament? Could be a close one......

Thats good get those excuses in. Hmm perhaps it is contagious and spread to Andy Murray. Rolling Eyes
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

Could be a close one......
It all really rests on whether Federer can get a good read and feel for the Raonic serve. This has 3 setter written over it and I hope it is not played at a silly time like 4AM again.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

Thats good get those excuses in. Hmm perhaps it is contagious and spread to Andy Murray
The only thing that spread to Murray was too much hype after a w/o win over a semi-injured/not trying his best Djokovic. Continuing the pusher trend against a player outside of top 50 is just tickling my ribs. I can see Lendl moving on to better players such as Dolgopolov in a few weeks time.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

I would be gobsmacked if Raonic beats Federer. After all he is a product of this supremely weak era playing on supremely slow surfaces with his best weapon being his serve (surface speed blunts that) so what weapons does he have to beat Federer the GOAT.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

CC - You've got the wrong man here.

The Book of Excuses - which periodically gets used as a handy reference tool by some posters here - is of no interest to me, never has been.

I follow the old-school philosophy that if you walk out on to the court, then you're fit to play. And I also made it clear that Raonic is the sort of player who could upset an in-form Federer, regardless.

All that apart, not sure where Andy M comes into a Fed v Raonic match .........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

Why even bother mentioning it then? And by the way if all the ball boys have it then surely Raonic and every other player could have it as well so lets rule that one out.

My point about ruling out Raonic was a bit tongue in cheek as lets remember to many misguided souls on here that this is a weak era and Raonic is a product of this weak era whilst Federer comes from an age that borne tennis players who are superior in every way to today's crop. Also Raonic's chief weapon is his serve but again we have those nagging voices telling us how slow these courts are so his chief weapon is negated leaving the way open for a straight-forward win for Roger Federer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:59 am

how slow these courts are
He hit 19 aces in rusty form with a decent percentage so I don't think the slow surface bothers him as he hits through it. Just because Murray lost yet another final to Federer on hard courts doesn't mean the Scot is a terrible player, he just doesn't have the talents that the top 3 possess.

I'm sure Roger would rather be playing Murray than Raonic anyway as he's got less weapons than Milos.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
lags72 wrote:Players, ball boys,spectators - lots have been hit by the virus apparently

Thats good get those excuses in. Hmm perhaps it is contagious and spread to Andy Murray. Rolling Eyes

From the man who is very sensitive to any such comments about AM Rolling Eyes

All over a topical piece of news about how a virus has hit some players, some of the spectators and 'the crew' of the tournament. I think Andy is holding up so far because he is still in the doubles and he and Jamie won their match yesterday - hopefully he will remain healthy.

PS I have to admit the idea that TMF needs any excuses - ever -made for him is a little absurd. I think acknowledging a player has an injury (ie AM at MC in 2011) is a little different to an excuse?

For the record, I'm with lags - if you step onto court you are fit to play.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:05 am

ORDER OF PLAY FOR TODAY Smile

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/404/op.pdf

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

timeplease - I have to say that, judging by his remarks, CC does indeed seem overly-sensitive to straightforward news reports of a widespread virus.

In respect of the Fed vs Raonic upcoming match, nobody here or in the media had made any mention of 'excuses' (and certainly not of AM either!) until CC did. And then having chosen to introduce the matter himself - along with a seemingly irrelevant reference to AM - he then tells us all to "rule that one out" ...

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:33 am

lags72 wrote:I have to say that, judging by his remarks, CC does indeed seem overly-sensitive to straightforward news reports of a widespread virus.

Agreed - a bit of a strange reaction Craig!

CaledonianCraig wrote:Why even bother mentioning it then? And by the way if all the ball boys have it then surely Raonic and every other player could have it as well so lets rule that one out

It is worth mentioning because it is the Indian Wells thread and the US newspapers are reporting it.

This forum purports to be about topical tennis news so a virus spreading through the current tournament would seem something that might just come up in conversation Rolling Eyes

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

Virus or not virus- does Raonic have a chance against Fed ? Rog does like to put up and coming players in their place. I seem to remember he dished out a fearful beating to del Potty at the AO a few years ago, although HMDP got his revenge later.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:38 am

sirfredperry wrote:Virus or not virus- does Raonic have a chance against Fed ? Rog does like to put up and coming players in their place. I seem to remember he dished out a fearful beating to del Potty at the AO a few years ago, although HMDP got his revenge later.

He has to have a chance I think sir fred, though if Fed is moving his feet well I think Raonic is too lumbering sometimes around the court to hurt him.

It would be great to see a closely fought match and the young player really stepping up to the plate and taking it to TMF.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

After Federer losing to Isner on his home soil, I am prepared to anything.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:48 am

yes indeed (ouch and triple ouch!) - still not completely over that one! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:48 am

sfp - IMO, yes he certainly does. Not just because he's on a bit of a roll as he moves up the rankings, but because these things happen in tennis and in sport generally

If they were to play each other five times this week, I'd pick Federer to win at least four, I think anyone would. But tomorrow could just be the day it all comes good for Raonic .....

If it does happen, it would surely be Federer's first loss to a non top 20 guy for quite some time .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

He is currently on a run of 74 straight wins to guys outside the top 20.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:55 am

As I see Raonic as the new Sampras, I woudl not be surprised if soon Raonic were to beat Fed like Fed did beat Pete 11 years ago. If not in IW in an important slam (Wimbledon?) in the next 2 years.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

Hmmm ... quite a run ! Can any active player boast anything comparable I wonder...??

And therefore still a big scalp for any of the new breed of youngsters, even if their odds of an 'upset' gradually increase in the twilight of the Federer career.....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

Can someone update me about this virus? What one is doing the rounds?

I haven't actually watched anymore of IW after the Murray, Djokovic and Roddick matches.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20120312/indian-wells-sunday/

There you go legend - everyone seems to have a different bug! Wink

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:34 am

Thanks for that TP. Very Happy

The players would actually be inhuman if they didn't suffer from the cold virus or any other virus of any kind.

I am not watching IW because the courts disgust me as the surfaces are offering the players absolutely nothing.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:45 am

lk - proof once again (not that it were ever needed, in truth Wink ) that you can't please all the people all the time

We had a series of complaints about the Dubai court. and now the roadshow has moved over to California but you don't like what's on offer there ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:48 am

I haven't watched at all yet - certainly can't summon the energy so early in the season do stay up and watch afternoon and evening matches.......

gotta pace myself Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:57 am

lags72 wrote:lk - proof once again (not that it were ever needed, in truth Wink ) that you can't please all the people all the time

We had a series of complaints about the Dubai court. and now the roadshow has moved over to California but you don't like what's on offer there ......

lags,

The IW courts are crap. Not even Nadal or Djokovic who 'supposidly' fancy slow courts are really at one with the court. For the players with lungs, serve, shotmaking are truly rogered by this event.

Dubai courts were fine.

IW is below park worthy courts!

Not even the pretty flowers give it any form of gloss.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

LK,

I think you're a bit over the top regarding the courts . There is nothing wrong with them.
I saw a few matches and thoroughly enjoyed the Bitd Strakhovski one . Tennis was great.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

NITB not at all. Roddick/Kubot match was awful. Your man Djokovic even struggled with the conds. I watched Nadal/Mayer and even Nadal had to exert more effort than normally.

The courts are eating up the FH's and the serves. It is truly dreadful.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

Do we know if any of the players have made any critical comment - either directly or by implication - about the supposed ("dreadful" ....?) quality of the IW courts...??

For us it's just a topic for harmless debate, and when all said & done none of us has any first-hand experience of what the courts are like anyway. But for them .... it's their place of work, is it not...

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

“We are very happy with the Pro-Purple as it provides great contrast which is critical for viewing the ball. The special colors and speed of play showcase the ultimate in tennis entertainment to the fans and consistent playability for the men’s and women’s competition. We have worked seamlessly with Plexipave to create the very best in tennis court performance.”

So with that comment what do you judge as to be of the highest importance to the tournament?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

legendkillar wrote:“We are very happy with the Pro-Purple as it provides great contrast which is critical for viewing the ball. The special colors and speed of play showcase the ultimate in tennis entertainment to the fans and consistent playability for the men’s and women’s competition. We have worked seamlessly with Plexipave to create the very best in tennis court performance.”

So with that comment what do you judge as to be of the highest importance to the tournament?

That old Satan - Television, well the lovely generous advertisers that flock to it! furious

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

mad

Aye indeed TP. For me they have failed with that one with a court playing like taffy!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

legendkillar wrote:NITB not at all. Roddick/Kubot match was awful. Your man Djokovic even struggled with the conds. I watched Nadal/Mayer and even Nadal had to exert more effort than normally.

The courts are eating up the FH's and the serves. It is truly dreadful.

Serves you right for watching Roddick laughing

Try to watch more even match-ups, there'll be plenty of good ones today.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

Looking forward to Simon Wawrinka match the most. I hope Ebden takes advantage of the poor form Mardy Fish is in he could potentially be a more solid player for Australia than the police dodger Tomic. Knowing the immoral bad karma of tennis these days it would not surprise me if Ebden and Wawrinka have caught the bug.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next