The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

+31
Chazfazzer
spuranik
djlovesyou
HarpoMars
JuliusHMarx
prostaff85
laverfan
Jahu
LuvSports!
hawkeye
sirfredperry
lags72
time please
Henman Bill
amritia3ee
Josiah Maiestas
Jeremy_Kyle
banbrotam
summerblues
legendkillar
lydian
ryan86
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
CaledonianCraig
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
gallery play
Tenez
noleisthebest
35 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 2 Empty ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

At last!

Tennis is back in town. And sleepless nights, and bags under the eyes in the mornings.

For a fortnight or so, we'll forget about fast courts and GOATs and watch some good tennis for a change.

Indian Wells first 1000 Masters event of the year, first "big" tournament after AO.

All players are there, fit and raring to go, the "come-backers": Davydenko, Querrey, Simon, the "newcomers": Tomic (I think he's already out), Raonic, Dolgopolov, and last , but not the least the "big" 4.

I'm sure you'll forgive me for focusing on the top 4 players, because at the moment, they all seem be pretty keen to win this tournament (which is not always the case when it comes to non-slam tournaments).

Nole, who loves slow hard-courts of IW, will want to continue where he stopped in Melbourne, and should he bump into Murray in the semis, show him who's the boss.

Nadal, match-free for nearly 6 weeks, must've worked on his game or serve in the meantime, 2012 is his make or break season in many ways, and it's usually this time of the year he gets going as a warm-up for clay season.

Federer, on a good winning streak since last autumn (lost only two matches, one to Nadal one to Djokovic), will want to get a good result and possibly close the points gap between him and Nadal, or at least keep Murray at bay.

Murray, with, I believe Lendl again by his side, must be hoping that this 2012 is his slam-break-through year: he has been working very hard for several years and generally improving his game and shots. His win over Novak in Dubai must have boosted his confidence immensely, still, he failed to capitalise on it and win Dubai, failing to Federer.
He has few points to defend in IW and Miami, and a great opportunity to move up the rankings.

The players have had a party last night, and all seem to be happy to be there and play.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv8T10SOE

Indian Wells has apparently continued to improve their facilities and make life nicer both for players and fans :

( http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/03/nice-work-if-i-can-get-it.html )

In today's order of play, we have some interesting matches, and Novak and Murray out on central court.

Order of play for Friday, 16th of March:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/404/op.pdf

So, let's enjoy the return of tennis and may the Best win Bubbly

Finally, last but not the least:

GO NOLEEEEE Yahoo

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : update of the order of play link)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:51 pm

6:3 6:2 win for Nole. Time for bed (I did drop off at the desk during the match laughing )

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence! - Page 2 Empty Re: ATP MASTERS 1000 Indian Wells: Let The Party Commence!

Post by socal1976 Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Djoko looked really good calm and relaxed. Not a good day for the Americans. Querrey out, Roddick should have been out Kubot basically choked that one away.

Very dissapointed for Richard Gasquet. He just is not a good player on outdoor hardcourts. He stands way too far back and lets his opponents dictate. He has had a nice career so far but really would have expected more from him by now. Especially, in terms of hitting the forehand earlier and solidifying the second serve by now. I am still a believer that maybe the best is still yet to come with one of my favorites on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:37 am

Bad result for Andy Murray overnight losing in straight sets to Garcia Lopez 4-6 2-6. I never saw the match as Sky weren't covering it due to its late start (UK time) but going purely on stats it looks like his poor first serve stats was a big reason for the defeat. I would now fancy Djokovic to take the title now as his half is opening up very nicely to him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:52 am

Djo draw well open now. His path is nearly clear to the finals. Fun times for nitb Very Happy
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 am

Whats the problem with Andy's consistency? he never consistendly keeps his level up like the top 3 and ends up losing matches which he would have on normal days.

There is something seriously wrong with his approach.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:04 am

No I don't think its the approach. Its just this is how is Andy Murray. I earlier in Feb before Dubai was asked by CC what would be my prediction for Murray this year, if CC may not feel offended, I might like to bring out that quote of mine.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:29 am

Sorry I can't recall that but just suffice to say one early Masters Cup exit is not going to send me into a panic but feel free to spread your personal glee rotla.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:11 am

It must be flawed technique, in variouspartsof the game. Inconsistency is most usually found when the technique is fundamentally flakey.

One step forward beating Djokovic, one step backwards.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 am

In all Murray's first round matches so far this year (against Berrer, Harrison, Garcia-Lopez and Kukushkin), he has lost at least a set, on 3 occasions the first set, and two slams last year Gimeno-Traver and Haase spring to mind as well.

Obviously this is just noticing what may be a trend, I have no idea how to stop it.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:37 am

bogbrush I feel that Andy's game is going through transition. He is clearly been playing a more aggressive style of game in the last couple of months or so and that means hitting more risky shots etc and means more unforced errors and if his first serve is off (like it was today) coupled with unforced errors you run a big risk of losing and that happened. I suppose it depends on what direction he feels his game has to go as in by all accounts Lendl is encouraging a more aggressive game which he is trying now whilst Murray's natural game is as a counter-puncher which has served him so well. Almost like a stick or twist situation in a game of cards.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:03 am

Maybe. I hope you're right. I'd rather he progress, especially if it was towards a more aggressive game.

The only thing I'd say is that this sort of terrible result is not new. Also, the serve and forehand have been off and on for years. I'd say, taking everything into consideration, there's more likelihood that this is just another day when parts of his game have cracked. Can he, at 24, really take his technique back to basics? I'd say no, so this is probably something he has to live with.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:11 am

I'd agree with that BB...he does have inherent weaknesses in his technique which require hi to keep on top of his timing more consciously than innately.
His 2nd serve is still not even top 20...he's still throwing it too much straight up at times, quite a basic error really, and the FH gets dumped into the net alot when he doesnt seem to get under it enough...its like he has SW grip technique (ala Federer) but with a W grip so he can end up "topping" the ball a fair bit. At the age of near 25 he hasnt got long to iron these things out...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:31 am

Murray's aftermatch comments all point to him not having adequately acclimatised to the slower court conditions at Indian Wells, after having competed in Dubai. This coupled with his known technical deficiencies and an inherent passive, counterpunching approach to the game, would appear to have led to this rather tame loss to the World No 92 player 6-4 6-2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:32 am

ps NITB: Maybe you might consider changing the title - some might consider that Mr Garcia-Lopez has pooped on the party parade. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 am

Looking at the match report another poor performance. When he plays bad it is on par with the performance of player ranked in the 200's!!!

He rarely plays poorly and pulls a victory out of the bag. Take Djokovic. Wasn't at the races, but still beat Gobulev in 2.

One of the reasons for me especially why Andy will endure a slamless career.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:36 am

legendkillar wrote:Looking at the match report another poor performance. When he plays bad it is on par with the performance of player ranked in the 200's!!!

He rarely plays poorly and pulls a victory out of the bag. Take Djokovic. Wasn't at the races, but still beat Gobulev in 2.

Regrettably this is looking probable rather than possible now.

All it would take is some sign of life from the next generation and you could make it almost certain. Fortunately for Murray no such signs of life are apparent.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 am

bogbrush wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Looking at the match report another poor performance. When he plays bad it is on par with the performance of player ranked in the 200's!!!

Regrettably this is looking probable rather than possible now.

All it would take is some sign of life from the next generation and you could make it almost certain. Fortunately for Murray no such signs of life are apparent.

Looking at the likes of Raonic, Dolgopolov and Tomic, if they can generate any form of consistency over long periods they could surpass Murray. Del Potro, Tsonga and Berdych for me look the most threatening to Murray at the moment.

IW looks dreadfully slow. Up there with Paris. Roddick must've counted his blessings because his performance was that of a hitting coach!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 am

Yep, its known for being slow LK...probably the slowest HC all year, and its the slower variant of Plexipave (ITF2)...the quicker one being used at AO.
Worryingly, even more HC events are now moving to this Plexipave ITF2 surface...great! Sad
(e.g. Delray, Memphis and some others)
The tour is not speeding up any time soon.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 am

Oh dear. Did not see this coming. Let's hope he picks himself up sooner rather than later.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 am

lydian wrote:Yep, its known for being slow LK...probably the slowest HC all year, and its the slower variant of Plexipave (ITF2)...the quicker one being used at AO.
Worryingly, even more HC events are now moving to this Plexipave ITF2 surface...great! Sad
(e.g. Delray, Memphis and some others)
The tour is not speeding up any time soon.
TV will force it.

Either that or stand by for no-advantage games and three set Slams. What a pity.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 am

You'd think the world at ended, judging by some of the comments following Murray's defeat

He just played bad

The reason he hasn't won a slam is because;-

1) The GOAT is still around and has been for all his career
2) There are two other players, who will go down as the two of the best of all time

No credit is given to the fact that Andy is comfortably better than the rest, because he's genuinely a great player

Hence, even at 28 - I do not envisage him not being in contention for a Slam

Or maybe he's just going to be unlucky - if so then he becomes the best never to win a Slam

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 am

Spot on banbrotam.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 am

I must say I was surprised to see the result this morning. But not shocked.
GG Lopez is no pushover, he beat Nadal in , I think Bangkok two years ago in the final.
He is a mature guy who can play well.

Murray probably underestimated him.

I'm not complaining Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:30 am

Hello

Very Happy

Banbro would you now like to revise your opinion regarding Murray and Federer.

I distinctly remember you saying that you think Murray would be the favourite against Federer if/when they were next to meet (post AUS open) and that he (Murray) was now above Fed in the pecking order. I questioned it at the time and of course Federer won in Dubai. Now it appears that TMF is once again starting to widen the gap between himself and Murray.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 am

Great win for Harrison against Troicki.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Seems to be a lot of the cold reality of 'Murray played bad' comments.

Almost like this is what to expect of British players. Like Henman one year going out in the Semi's of Wimbledon and then going out in round 2 the following year. Like status earns you entitlement.

It is like the everylasting bandwagon of Murray can win a Slam despite playing so poorly in matches. Did anyone of the Murray fans see the Djokovic match last night? The first set no doubts he should've lost and didn't. He upped his level considerably and stormed through in the 2nd set.

The problem with Murray is that the gearstick in his arss cannot shift from 1st gear to 4th like the others above him. It is either play really poorly and stink the court out in 2 or go passive and go out in 3. You can't tell me that when playing poorly in a shorter format that the way to turn the match around is just play junk and hope. Incentive is what the boy needs and until he figures that out, he will always be the ugly bridesmaid!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 pm

emancipator wrote:Hello

Very Happy

I distinctly remember you saying that you think Murray would be the favourite against Federer if/when they were next to meet (post AUS open) and that he (Murray) was now above Fed in the pecking order. I questioned it at the time and of course Federer won in Dubai. Now it appears that TMF is once again starting to widen the gap between himself and Murray.

ghost

emancipator

LOL very good question emanci, I was going to ask as well, btw it's unlikely you get much of a response from banbro for obvious reasons..... Wink
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 pm

legendkillar wrote:
The problem with Murray is that the gearstick in his arss cannot shift from 1st gear to 4th like the others above him. It is either play really poorly and stink the court out in 2 or go passive and go out in 3. You can't tell me that when playing poorly in a shorter format that the way to turn the match around is just play junk and hope. Incentive is what the boy needs and until he figures that out, he will always be the ugly bridesmaid!

Murray's problem is that his edge over the players like Lopez, although existing, is not huge, certainly not as big as the likes of Federer and nadal.....
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Very Happy

ghost

emancipator

I agree that Murray still has the edge.

Federer overachieved in Dubai.

Says the SA in me.

Lucky result for the Shanky Swiss.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:23 pm

legendkillar wrote:

Very Happy

ghost

emancipator

I agree that Murray still has the edge.

Federer overachieved in Dubai.

Says the SA in me.

Lucky result for the Shanky Swiss.

I think if it wasn't for Fed's block towards a pumped up spaniard, his outlook would look pretty bright for the next two seasons at least, question is: will he finally get over it!!!!!!!!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Gaschoke what a melon head he is losing to Ramos...least Garcia Lopez took out the WTA forehander Smile
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Murrays 2nd serve stats were terrible for a number 4 player... GGL also did not allow Murray many points at all on his own 2nd serve, a real ownage. Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Well, interesting as i looked at some of the comments about Murray's defeat. When Murray doesn't serve well he becomes a very average player since his second serve is relatively weaker than the rest of his game. Murray when he can't get his first serve in gets into trouble real fast. In Dubai we saw it, he served poorly against Roger in terms of first serve percentage and lost, hit a high first serve percentage against Novak and won. That is why I think Murray can have so many days where he looks so up and down.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm looking forward to Davydenko-Monfils. Starts in 20 mins

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:45 pm

That is a real nice match there emancipator. On current form would have to go with the old bald guy. Monfils is another one like Gasquet who has all the talent in the world but is seemingly incapable of delivering match in and match out.

Can't wait to watch tennis all day today, god I love sunday's and the fact that IW is in my time zone.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Haha, yeah lucky you. Today's the last day that I can watch this tournament
Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Cheers I have the same problem with all the tourneys in europe or Asia, so what goes around comes around.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks like Monfils had to pull out. Or did he lose beforehand?

Anyway it's Davy vs Phau

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:28 pm

This Mayer guy is getting spanked.

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:35 pm

4 points in the first 4 games for Mayer.
4-0 Nadal
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:37 pm

4 points in the first 5 games for Mayer. And 2 of those 4 have been nadal double faults, so really 2 points in 5 games.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Tuned in at 5:0, I thought Nadal was playing that German guy, Florian Mayer, so had some hope, THIS Mayer on the other hand is an utter joke, one look at his service motion says all.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:58 pm

An old, long grey-haired shirtless bloke flaunting his droopy chest and gut always in the screen , yuk!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:06 pm

His parents must have had a good sense of a humour calling him Leo Mayer.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Mayer refusing to lie down, good stuff!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 pm

ryan86 wrote:His parents must have had a good sense of a humour calling him Leo Mayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEflECtfBM

mu favourite is this one though (just gives me that fuzzy feeling of being 6 again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDdYlyLRoI&feature=related

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 pm

noleisthebest wrote:An old, long grey-haired shirtless bloke flaunting his droopy chest and gut always in the screen , yuk!

He's the tournament owner laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 pm

emancipator wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:An old, long grey-haired shirtless bloke flaunting his droopy chest and gut always in the screen , yuk!

He's the tournament owner laughing

That explains why he hasn't been arrested an taken away Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Baghdatis wins 1st set against Delicano. 6:3

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I must say I'm grateful to Nadal for wearing his hair shorter and sleeves longer these days

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next