The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =)

+17
Morgannwg
ME-109
samuraidragon
Cymroglan
SecretFly
TycroesOsprey
Biltong
ChequeredJersey
Knowsit17
Seagultaf
wales606
maestegmafia
manofgwent
SubsBench
TBJ9625
bedfordwelsh
Shifty
21 posters

Go down

Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =) Empty Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =)

Post by Shifty Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm

What team would you play for the big one?

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Alex Cuthbert
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Luke Charteris
4 Ian Evans
3 Adam Jones
2 Matthew Rees
1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Scott Williams
17 James Hook
18 Rhys Webb
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Alun-Wyn Jones
21 Ken Owens
22 Paul James

I like the Welsh team as it is, but I'd love to have Charteris back alongside Ianto for a massive pair of locks, to secure more line out ball.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =) Empty Re: Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =)

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Alyn,

For me pretty much spot on, I would be tempted to swap Owens and Rees and I would definately have R Jones ahead of AWJ on the bench.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =) Empty Re: Welsh Team for France, who would you pick? =)

Post by Shifty Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:28 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Alyn,

For me pretty much spot on, I would be tempted to swap Owens and Rees and I would definately have R Jones ahead of AWJ on the bench.

I like Ryan too, and it is unfair to leave him out, but I'd rather have the solid line out for France and the option on the bench. Ryan is not a great lock he can play there but he is much better at 8 or 6.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Alyn,

I agree that I wouldn't like to see him start in the 2nd row next week though he could do job if need be due to injury.

My worry would be is that if Lydiate or Faletau got injured then AWJ is no where near good enough to play in the back row and Tips is an out n out 7.

It will be an interesting call between AWJ Ryan and Charteris as there not room for all 3 of them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Alyn, i cant believe you've dropped the one player who has been outstanding all competition. Ryan needs to be on the bench at least. Going on the last 2 games he should have started at either 4 or 8
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Alyn, I agree with Bedford. With AJW instead of R Jones on the bench we look light on backrow cover. I know AJW could cover 6 if needed but not ideal. R Jones has played very well in each game IMO and could have had MOM in the Ireland game. If the coaching team think Charteris is match fit I'd therefore go for R Jones on the bench unless you drop Tupuric which would also be harsh.

The rest of the team picks itself, though Priestland is lucky we havent really got a viable option.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm

That team works for me. Id give Ryan jones a place on the bench, as he can cover several positions. He's not a lock, he's not athletic enough anymore to play 8. I'd say his best position is 6, but there's no way he'd get in ahead of Danny Lydiate. Lydiate's work rate, tackling and work at the breakdown is quite phenomenal. It's great to see such competition for places. It makes everyone raise their game.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

mog,

I posted similar after the game about Jones, I wouldn't like to see him start in 2nd row against France and he won't get in over Lydiate which leaves bench or No8 slot.

For me its the bench but that said I think Toby has had two quiet games the last two so Jones could well push him for the No8 slot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 pm

I think Toby's got no 8 nailed on. He had a quiet 2nd half yesterday, but I thought he had a really strong 1st half. He carried well and was everywhere in defence. There's no doubting Jones gets through a huge amount of work, but Toby's a class act and to be honest he should have played 8 in last years 6 nations. We had Ryan Jones in that position when he wasn't playing in that position for his region. The balance we currently have in that back roe is perfect.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Feel free to write your own teams down too guys. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:07 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Feel free to write your own teams down too guys. Whistle

There you Alyn, as Isaid not much difference

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Alex Cuthbert
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Luke Charteris
4 Ian Evans
3 Adam Jones
2 Ken Owens
1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Scott Williams
17 James Hook
18 Rhys Webb
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Ryan Jones
21 Matthew Rees
22 Paul James
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:Feel free to write your own teams down too guys. Whistle

There you Alyn, as Isaid not much difference

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Alex Cuthbert
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Luke Charteris
4 Ian Evans
3 Adam Jones
2 Ken Owens
1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Scott Williams
17 James Hook
18 Rhys Webb
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Ryan Jones
21 Matthew Rees
22 Paul James

Thats the team I'd go with, and I don't know about any one else but after the semi final match at the world cup, I would love to see Wales smash France, but they would need to actually start shifting through the gears.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 am

Dont think we will smash them and I will be happy with a 1 point win but think we will be to good over the 80.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:45 am

Good question but I think I'll watch this afternoons game before answering it...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Dont think we will smash them and I will be happy with a 1 point win but think we will be to good over the 80.

I dont think so either, just want revenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:53 am

11. George North
14. Alex Cuthbert

Id keep them on the same wings they have been on all competition Wink

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Ken Owens
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ian Evans
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathon Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Matthew Rees (Huw Bennett)
18. Ryan Jones (Dropping him for the 15 is bad enough)
19. Justin Tipuric
20. Lloyd Williams/Rhys Webb
21. James Hook
22. Scott Williams
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 am

IronMike wrote:I dont think so either, just want revenge.

Hang on, I thought you was an English poster! Headscratch
aren't you normally moaning that the Welsh have all the referees in their back pocket? Erm

I think Wales should look forward not backwards, looking backwards and for revenge was why the Irish lost to us in Dublin.
New competition, new prizes nothing can change what happened at the World Cup now, so forget about it! thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:41 am

AlynDavies wrote: aren't you normally moaning that the Welsh have all the referees in their back pocket?

I think in future I'll put [sarcasm] in my posts Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 am

AlynDavies' 15 is also the one I would pick.

If Warburton is not fit the Tipuric starts but if Warbs is fully fit I would have Ryan Jones on the bench ahead of him. I know Gats wont do it but I would have Peel on the bench, because I suspect that will also bring the best out of Phillips.

I am not a fan of Hook at 10 (particularly against France) and with Priestland not on top form at present I would replace Hook with Jones or Tovey on the bench.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 am

Well I said I would pick my team after watching that match but god knows.

Beauxis was awful cost France the game. Dupey wasn't great either but Parra was.

The French outside backs don't tackle. The pack are good in the scrum, very good.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 am

Charteris and Warburton (if fit) in. Priestland and Halfpenny have been poor with ball in hand for two games in a row now but unfortunately I don't see where else to turn. I wouldn't start Hook after the mare he had last time against the French. And no matter how poor 1/2p has been in possession the vast majority of his kicks have been on target, more than one even from difficult positions.

Something tells me Warbs' leadership is a must for this one. Never underestimate Les Bleus, they're in a similar position now to last year when we faced them. Straight off a defeat, nothing to win but the game itself and on that occasion they spanked us. France can be deadly without expectation on their shoulders!

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 am

Is Warbs meant to be fit then?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 am

AlynDavies wrote:
15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Alex Cuthbert
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Luke Charteris
4 Ian Evans
3 Adam Jones
2 Matthew Rees
1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Scott Williams
17 James Hook
18 Rhys Webb
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Alun-Wyn Jones
21 Ken Owens
22 Paul James

This is basically your first choice , isn't it? thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 am

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Luke Charteris
5. Ian Evans
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Rhys Preistland
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathon Davies
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Ken Owens
18. Ryan Jones
19. Justin Tipuric
20. Lloyd Williams if he is fit
21. James Hook
22. Scott Williams

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 am

Warburton back in training tommorow according to Scrum V - Great news.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 am

On the evidence of today's French performance, I wouldn't actually get your first teamers out of bed. Just call up the U20 side to take home the Slam. It'll be good experience for them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 am

wales606 wrote:Warburton back in training tommorow according to Scrum V - Great news.

I don't want him playing unless he is 100% fit any late changes will be disruptive.
It's brilliant news if he has made a full recovery.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 am

Think France will be better next week. PSA made a poor selection , particularly at half-back. Trinh-Duc and Parra are the best in the NH.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 am

Its probably more important for Wales who the ref is. The two you had in the England and Ireland games handed the game on a plate to you in both cases so if you get one of those you will have no problems...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 am

DOD wrote:Its probably more important for Wales who the ref is. The two you had in the England and Ireland games handed the game on a plate to you in both cases so if you get one of those you will have no problems...

DOD stop the nonsense please, You also said the same thing on another thread.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 am

Truth hurts...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 am

The truth is a Munsterman got dominated in round one and went off crying. Munster fans are still moaning about it.

How many on the bounce? TREE that is how many.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 am

The truth is a Munsterman got dominated in round one and went off crying. Munster fans are still moaning about it.

How many on the bounce? TREE that is how many.

Was that a spruce or an oak?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 am

DOD wrote:Its probably more important for Wales who the ref is. The two you had in the England and Ireland games handed the game on a plate to you in both cases so if you get one of those you will have no problems...

Stop stalking welsh threads with the envious bile you're spouting.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

DOD wrote:Truth hurts...

No It's just that most of us are fed up of the childish nonsense that goes on this site.
You came here to bait when there was no need for it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 am

Consider yourself 'outbaited' dod Wink.

Doh
Yahoo
Laugh
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 am

Brynmor suggested Ryan jones at eight and Faletau as an impact player. Interesting call but I think warren sees it the other way round.

Tough calls in the second row. Charteris and AWJ look very good, Ian Evans has lived up to his youthful promise finally. Plus a possible Ryan Jones too...?

What a head ache.

I wouldn't change the backs.

Gethin
Rees
Adam
AWJ
Evans
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton - in training tomorrow apparently.
Phillips
Priestland
North
Roberts
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

James
Owens
R Jones
Tuperic
Webb
Hook
Williams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:42 pm

I don't think we should start Ryan at lock against the French. I fear our scrum would be too underpowered, Maestri and Pape are bloody big boys! I would prefer him to come on as an impact lock or 8, or to start at 8.
But then where does that leave Charteris, who made a big impact when he came on! If Warburton is fit, i would leave out Tipuric

Touch calls for Gatland to make.

As you say the backs pretty much pick themselves.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Innit good to have strength in depth:) Warran has done wonders but made it far more difficult to pick a team. Bloody wonderful position to be in.

Must admit I liked the style of Webb when he came on, may be able to give him the last 20 if things go our way.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm

I agree i really like the way Webb plays. I think hes a step ahead of Lloyd at the moment and i hope they keep him on the bench.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 pm

gowales wrote:I agree i really like the way Webb plays. I think hes a step ahead of Lloyd at the moment and i hope they keep him on the bench.

Lloyd has struggled for form all season, Webb has been on fire for the Osprey's. His ball distrbution is very fast and ideal for the latter stages of the game. He also makes some great breaks and is incredibly fast. He should definately be on the bench. I think Hook should have had 15-20 min run out at 10 against Italy. If he comes on he'll be a little undercooked and I think Warren made a mistake by not bringing him on.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Yea i was surprised he didn't give Hook a run out. Pretty pointless to give him 7 minutes or whatever it was. Although i suspect it might have been because Halfpenny received a yellow card he wanted Priestland to stay on to control the game and he didn't trust Hook doing that possibly.
But i think that would have been the perfect game to get Hook back into playing flyhalf internationally.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

gowales wrote:Yea i was surprised he didn't give Hook a run out. Pretty pointless to give him 7 minutes or whatever it was. Although i suspect it might have been because Halfpenny received a yellow card he wanted Priestland to stay on to control the game and he didn't trust Hook doing that possibly.
But i think that would have been the perfect game to get Hook back into playing flyhalf internationally.

I'd say that Priestland was doing well considering nearly every time he received the ball at the pivot he had three defenders targeting him trying to restrict his decisions.

The opposition no exactly how valuable a player he is. I don't think Hook would have been any better than Priestland at the task at hand.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down