The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How should England have packed down.....

+4
yappysnap
Manu's Boxing Coach
HammerofThunor
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

How should England have packed down..... Empty How should England have packed down.....

Post by LondonTiger Sun 11 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

... on that scrum when Dowson went off ro be replaced by Webber?

Sat in a room with rather a lot of fans - including fromer pros - not one of us felt it was right for Webber to pack down on the blindside as he did. A crucial defensive scrum and a big blindside needed an experience player to defend it - not a hooker.

We were however split as to how they should have gone. Me I felt that Webber should have gone to 8 with Croft and Robshaw staying in their normal positions. Some wanted Webber on openside to strengthen the blindside defence - but I was worried what that woudl do if they span it the other way. Some argued that Robshaw shoudl defend that channel as Croft is quicker (something Croft used to great effect in defence while sharples was in the bin) and could cover openside. I felt that if they were going to do that - they should do it throughout the game.

Whichever way you cut it, Webber was exposed and went for the wrong man - not his fault, he is a hooker after all.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

How should England have packed down..... Empty Re: How should England have packed down.....

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

Robshaw hesitated. If he hadn't Sharples could have pushed out more and had more chance at the tackle. England also put the twist on the scrum, which should have been an advantage.

Webber's job on the blind side was to close in on 8 straight away, which he did. Not sure what anyone else would have done. Arguably if Dowson was at 8 he would have handled it better.

This is just the musing of someone clueless so probably wrong

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

How should England have packed down..... Empty Re: How should England have packed down.....

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

The wheel of the scrum caused the try more than Webber being on the blindside IMO

Also I think all of the back row are needed to defend a 5m scrum Webber would have been caught out where ever he was and on the flank might have been better than eight as he would have had to cover the nine coming round, which is a harder tackle.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 11 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

Webber should have been at openside, Croft at 8 to cover either way with his extra speed.

The scrum needed to stay straight and not twist as well so Youngs could try to interfere at the back.

Or don't make a change at 60 minutes for changes sake and bring off one of your best forwards.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm

Webber did everything he could do in the situation. His job was to take the first man, he did. It was wrong to go on about it as an excuse for the try, lazy unimformed commentary

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm

by the commentary team, btw, not anyone on here!

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:59 pm

I dunno...from what I can see the French do a great job of shuffling the srum across. Hairydonkey has come right around off the base, so he clearly doesnt have the ball..hes just blocking webber.
The ball comes out and Webber still bound and fixed on 8, whos screening him . He can see the backs have the ball and even flaps at them as they go by but for some reason is intent on trying to walk through Hardon.
Its a great play by France really, they did Webber up like a kipper and never really gave him a chance. Id question why Downson hasnt seen this since surely the move was telegraphed and why he too hasnt come across to that side.
Credit to France, but how often do you see sides concede tries direct form a scrum 5 when their front 5 is holding firm? I can only conclude that the changes did affect Englands defence there and that it was foolish for them to leave that side so exposed.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

Dowson? He was off for Webber. Robshaw was at 8 and Croft on the openside.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm

sorry yes him too, i took a blow to the head earlier Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGuinness69 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

Yappysnap 100% correct.

SuperGuinness69

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:10 am

Webber shouldn't have been on at all ! They should have brought morgan back on at 8 which i think is allowed when a player gets injured ?

Also yes webber closed down the 8 but he didn't tackle him, you could see he looked lost as what to do...he rushed up and stood thier waiting for the 8 to do something which he did...pass it

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:13 am

Webber shouldn't have been on at all ! They should have brought morgan back on at 8 which i think is allowed when a player gets injured ?

Also yes webber closed down the 8 but he didn't tackle him, you could see he looked lost as what to do...he rushed up and stood thier waiting for the 8 to do something which he did...pass it

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:21 am

I assume Morgan being dragged of fearly was a fitness issue. He'd put in a lot of work.

With regard to Dowson being off, Id be surprissed if hes made available for the next match. He was well out of it even when he came round and apparently wasnt fully aware what was going on and where he was. Theres no way the doctors could have allowed him back on the pitch straight after that, and even had he been he wouldnt have been able to function properly.

They didnt have a choice but to bring Webber on unfortunatly.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down