The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer.

+16
Breadvan
thebluesmancometh
bluestonevedder
Casartelli
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
Scrumdown
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
wales606
welshy6
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
bsando
onlyonewelshregion
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer. Empty Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer.

Post by onlyonewelshregion Mon 14 Jan - 3:00

This isn't a dig at other players or other Welsh regions. This is common sense.

Gatland started 13 Ospreys against England in 2008 because he was unfamiliar with the Wales squad and the Ospreys squad at the time was packed with household names. The gamble paid off. It also worked because that entire team would have been used to playing with each other week in week out.

We have seen some ridiculous selections from Howley and Gatland since Wales won the grand slam. OK we are not coaches but we can see on a weekly basis who are consistent performers and who are not. We can also see which region is consistently playing youngsters that are punching above their weight and have a maturity beyond their years.

This season all the Welsh regions bar the Ospreys are ABSOLUTELY terrible. There is no hiding from this. Many of the Wales players in the dragons, blues and Scarlets are also playing distinctly average. The Ospreys have lost nearly all their big names but are still on a very good run in the league and have beaten several european heavyweights. The biggest downer would be Leicester's comeback in Welford road. The Ospreys are the only Welsh side who can still qualify while the others are a million miles away.

Someone please explain to me how these players can be ignore at present?

BIGGAR
TIPURIC
HIBBARD
BEVINGTON
BEARMAN
KING
BISHOP
FUSSELL
WALKER

These players plus many more should walk into the Wales squad. Hook is the most talented player now that Shane Williams is gone, but Biggar is by FAR the best 10. Fussell or Lee Byrne are the best 15's. Halfpenny is a wing. Liam Williams just likes a fight he isn't as good as people say. I want to see this Wales team play Ireland. I have to be realistic about what talent is still in the other regions, but this is who is playing well at the moment.

15. Richard Fussell - He's amazing. Sick of this rubbish "he's a club player at best BLAH BLAH"
14. George North
13. Jon Davies
12. Andrew Bishop
11. Leigh Halfpenny
10. Dan Biggar
9. Mike Phillips

8. Toby Faletau
7. Justin Tipuric
6. Ryan Jones
5. Ian Evans
4. Alun-Wyn Jones
3. Adam Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
1. Paul James

16. Ryan Bevington
17. Ken Owens
18. Dan Lydiate (if fit)
19. Sam Warburton
20. Rhys Webb / Gareth Davies
21. James Hook
22. Cuthbert / Eli Walker

onlyonewelshregion

Back to top Go down

Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer. Empty Re: Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer.

Post by bsando Mon 14 Jan - 3:45

I agree! After watching ospreys vs leicester today there must be a heap of players up for selection!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer. Empty Re: Wales team MUST be packed with Ospreys. It's a no brainer.

Post by bsando Mon 14 Jan - 3:48

Walker, Bearman, Tiperic, Fussel all had amazing game.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 14 Jan - 4:06

biggars kicking makes him a must pick

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 14 Jan - 4:11

Ryan Jones went off with a hand injury. How bad is it any one know?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 5:36

AWJ and Evans are injured Fussell shouldn't be anywhere near the Welsh side Bearman is hardly a pick with future in mind James is better scrummager than Bevington.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Mon 14 Jan - 6:04

Some of these players warrant selection. However there are some slightly (in my opinion) strange selections, Personally I would with this side for Ireland

1) James
2) Hibbard
3) Jones
4) Well whoever is available!
5) Same as 4!
6) Lydiate/Shingler/Jones/Evans (personally I would go for Evans if Lydiate is injured!)
7) Tipuric/Warburton
8) Faletau (regaining some form at dragons)
9) Phillips
10) Biggar
11) North
12) Roberts (starting to regain form)
13) JD2
14) Cuthbert
15) Halfpenny

16) Owens
17) Jenkins (if fit!)/Bevington/ or Rhodri Jones
18) Mitchell/ Andrews
19) Whoever is available
20) Warburton/jones/Shingler
21) Still up for grabs
22) Hook (if fit)/ Patchell (if you are good enough you are old enough!)
23) Scott Williams

For me while Fussel is improving he does make a brain fart every game and still think his defence isint good enough for international level, also Byrne, Liam Williams, Prydie or even Dan Evans are ahead.
Same for Walker (will go to japan though)
Bearman while can play brilliantly often tries the miracle pass and is the wrong side of 30 to be getting caps
Bishop is a very good defensive player and never lets anyone down, however I don't think he offers as much in attack compared to Scott Williams and Roberts who both themselves are very good defensive centres

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan - 6:10

I agree about
Tipuric
R.Jones
Biggar
Hibbard
and to an extent, King

But not
Walker - his defence is dire
Fussell
Bearman
and Bishop
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Jan - 6:12

wales606 wrote:I agree about
Tipuric
R.Jones
Biggar
Hibbard
and to an extent, King

But not
Fussell
Bearman
and Bishop

Ditto...!

Plus Bearman isn't Welsh.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan - 6:34

I would call Walker into the squad though, so Shaun Edwards can spend an afternoon shouting at him, or whatever it is he does.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Jan - 6:52

I think a lot of young lads who should go to Japan this summer should be in the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 7:07

Maes,

Bearmans Welsh qualified but hardly a selection for the future. I think a lot will hinge on the fitness of Evans and Lydiate.

R Jones is the obvious choice to go upto 2nd row but if Lydiate isn't fit maybe needed at No 6 though Shingler more than capable of doing job there and Lewis Evans has been in fine form again of late
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Jan - 7:08

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:I agree about
Tipuric
R.Jones
Biggar
Hibbard
and to an extent, King

But not
Fussell
Bearman
and Bishop

Ditto...!

Plus Bearman isn't Welsh.

Bearman is time served though so can play if called up. It's something he says he'd be honoured to do (said when he played for the Dragons). He's a bit too old for a first call up now for me. Should have been a few years back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 Jan - 7:49

BIGGAR - Should start on current form.
TIPURIC - Should start on current form.
HIBBARD - Injured today.
BEVINGTON - Average at best.
BEARMAN - Should have been selected years ago, as he also played this well for the Dragons. They considered him too old back then and that was 3-4 years ago...
KING - A bit raw, but should make the squad due to injuries. Not a bad player either.
BISHOP - Too slow, bit rubbish. Nuff said.
FUSSELL - Too slow, dull, liability under the high ball, liability when taking it into contact. Can only score if there is nobody in front of him. Very overrated by Ospreys fans.
WALKER - Very gifted attacker. Defence is terrible. Currently behind Prydie, North, Cuthbert, Williams, Halfpenny. Not really needed for this 6 Nations but should get his chance on the summer tour when some of the above are with the Lions.

So that is two starters from the list who would get in on current form. There would be more if Ospreys didn't have so many injuries.

I can tell you are new to this sport so I hope I've cleared some blatantly smack bang obvious things up for you.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 Jan - 8:00

After reading the article and seeing Webb in the 23, I realise this is just a joke. A very bad one. This bit is the worst though:

These players plus many more should walk into the Wales squad. Hook is the most talented player now that Shane Williams is gone, but Biggar is by FAR the best 10. Fussell or Lee Byrne are the best 15's. Halfpenny is a wing. Liam Williams just likes a fight he isn't as good as people say. I want to see this Wales team play Ireland. I have to be realistic about what talent is still in the other regions, but this is who is playing well at the moment.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Mon 14 Jan - 8:08

Morgannwg wrote:BIGGAR - Should start on current form.
HIBBARD - Injured today.
BEARMAN - Should have been selected years ago, as he also played this well for the Dragons. They considered him too old back then and that was 3-4 years ago...
KING - A bit raw, but should make the squad due to injuries. Not a bad player either.
FUSSELL - Too slow, dull, liability under the high ball, liability when taking it into contact. Can only score if there is nobody in front of him. Very overrated by Ospreys fans.
WALKER - Very gifted attacker. Defence is terrible. Currently behind Prydie, North, Cuthbert, Williams, Halfpenny. Not really needed for this 6 Nations but should get his chance on the summer tour when some of the above are with the Lions.

So that is two starters from the list who would get in on current form. There would be more if Ospreys didn't have so many injuries.

I can tell you are new to this sport so I hope I've cleared some blatantly smack bang obvious things up for you.

If you cannot see that walker is a class above our current wingers then you really shoudn't be posting on this board.

North and cuthbert both use the same instruments to break defences so howley needs to make a choice and include walker on the left wing. It is all about Balance.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 14 Jan - 8:12

Oh jeez, an Ospreys fan stating their players is a class above everything else that ever lived. There is something you don't see often... It wouldn't surprise me to see him get in ahead of better players though, he does ply his trade at the right region afterall. I wouldn't have thought there wouldn't be much change to the backs, they're good enough as they are. The forwards were the issue in the autumn.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Mon 14 Jan - 9:16

Scrumdown wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:BIGGAR - Should start on current form.
HIBBARD - Injured today.

If you cannot see that walker is a class above our current wingers then you really shoudn't be posting on this board.

North and cuthbert both use the same instruments to break defences so howley needs to make a choice and include walker on the left wing. It is all about Balance.

not quite sure about that mate, I mean North's offload for JD2 Try v Ireland in the six nations wasn't exactly rubbish, also while walker in attack this season is proving very good you have to remember it is not just all about tries but also defence, after all a wise man once said defences win you games, and has been proven by teams previously such as Saracens and England.

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 14 Jan - 16:03

From what I saw as a neutral yesterday I would say the following are international class:
Bevington - just, needs to work on scrum
Hibbard
Jones
King
Gough
Jones
Tipuric
Bearman
Biggar
Bishop
Walker
Fussell

However, that does not mean they would/should all be in the squad as obviously there are international class players elsewhere.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 19:19

Fussell is nowhere near test level and never has been.

I have not got a problem with a National coach picking the bulk of the side from one Region if they are the best about but Fussell isn't the best about.

Bearman isn't one for the future then again that said neither is Goughie but I would give him a shout due to current 2nd row crisis.

Bishop is solid at best but soilidity in the centre isn't our problem at the moment, creativity is.

Walker has something that frightens any team, pure speed. I wouldn't be surrpised to see him included and think he deserves it but his defence is still a bit raw and doubt he would get much game time but the experience will be crucial.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Jan - 19:23

wales606 wrote:I would call Walker into the squad though, so Shaun Edwards can spend an afternoon shouting at him, or whatever it is he does.

Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 14 Jan - 19:35

Looking decent/competent in the Rabo is no indicator of test match credentials.

Tipuric, Walker, Bishop and Fussell(?) may be tidy enough for the region, but the step to international rugby is huge. When Tipuric came on against the All Blacks they were literally throwing him out of the way at rucks.

Sadly, it's not enough to be ultra fit and skillful any more, you also have to be fast and powerful for test rugby, otherwise you're just making up the numbers.

Best thing you can say about the current situation is that at least the pesky distraction of the Heineken Cup is out of the way - so Welsh rugby can concentrate on what it (every so often) does well - the 6N.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 14 Jan - 20:33

Watched the Leicester Ospreys game, and Tipuric was superb. He's a class act, and every facewt of his game is top notch. I didn't appreciate his speed until I saw him play yesterday- but he was picking lines and breaking the gainline wonderfully.

I rate Warburton, but how Tips isn't starting for Wales blows my mind.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 20:38

blue,

Warburton was named as captain for the AIs and likely to be for the 6 Nations and coaches don't like dropping their skipper.

He has of late been finding some form in a poor Blues side but agree Tips should start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 14 Jan - 20:55

I guess that's the problem when you're skipper plays in a highly contested position! Such a shame for Tips, he must be pretty frustrated.

I know it's been discussed, and I think it has been put in practice once or twice, but what about Warbs at 6 and Tips at 7?

Obviously, I know there's Lydiate a few other guys who are putting their hands up for the blindside position such as Ryan Jones, Shingler, etc, but Tips' class is very hard to ignore.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Jan - 20:59

bluestonevedder wrote:I know it's been discussed, and I think it has been put in practice once or twice, but what about Warbs at 6 and Tips at 7?

Warburton is (or will be) in the squad as an openside, so if he isn't good enough to be selected there, then so be it. It would be just as bad if he took the place of a more deserving (and genuine) blindside.

Pick your best players in their best positions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 14 Jan - 21:18

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I know it's been discussed, and I think it has been put in practice once or twice, but what about Warbs at 6 and Tips at 7?

Warburton is (or will be) in the squad as an openside, so if he isn't good enough to be selected there, then so be it. It would be just as bad if he took the place of a more deserving (and genuine) blindside.

Pick your best players in their best positions.

I agree. So who would you pick for starting 7 for the 6 Nations at the moment LP?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Jan - 21:27

Tipuric has to start at openside for me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Warburton there. As 6, with Dan Lydiate unlikely to be fit (is that fair to say?), I'd want to have Ryan Jones, but he might need to be switched to the second row. I like Aaron Shingler at 6, but a backrow featuring him and Tipuric might be considered by the Welsh management to be too lightweight.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 14 Jan - 21:32

Think it's fair to say Lydiate is a doubt, especially for the opener. I'd agree about Ryan Jones at 6, but now he's an injury doubt with his thumb! Wales' injuries are getting ridiculous. Shingler and Tips would be rapid and cover a lot of ground, but like you say, maybe considered lightweight, although there are no huge backrows in the 6 Nations teams.

Like you, I'd like to see Tips start, but think Warbs probably will.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 14 Jan - 22:24

Shingler and Tipuric are both excellent footballers, too. I suppose it depends on what sort of game Howlers wants us to play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 14 Jan - 22:35

Shingler is unlikely to be fit
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Jan - 22:39

I think Warburton is still ahead of Tips, blindside is a tough call. Lyds and possibly Ryan injured, Shingler would be my favourite though Warburton was good with Tips before against the Aussies.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 22:51

In the past I have dis-agreed wtih Warburton playing just to accomodate Tipuric and if any of Lydiate, R Jones or Shingler are fit then I stick by that.

BUT, if none of the above are fit then I think we have little option other than to go with Warburton and Tipuric, Lewis Evans possibly at 6 who has been in fine form for us.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 14 Jan - 22:54

That's my thinking too mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 14 Jan - 23:00

Evans would be good bench cover as he covers 7 as well. 2nd row still big worry especially if we are down to the likes of King Peers etc starting then bench cover be really thread bare
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 14 Jan - 23:40

Evans would make my bench easily, especially with injuries!!

I did call for Tipuric/Warbs 6/7 for a while, and would be excited by the prospect, but wouldn't be surprised if it failed miserably.

The 2 opensides arent doing too badly for the Blues though, although they are severely lacking muscle in the backrow and defencive nous, just straight up brutality! and thats whats going to be Wales problem I think especially with no fit locks or natural 6's!!!

This 6N is getting scarier and scarier as a welshman, and the Lions could be a disaster for welsh players with a number not being able to get much gametime/platform at their clubs to claim a spot!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 14 Jan - 23:50

Fuss has been superb for us sice he signed and had Made the Fb shirt his own recently but Wales class? Nah. Bishop is Mr solid and reliable. King, Sam Lweis, Moragn Allen not yet. However Tips, Hibbard, Biggar MUST be starters. Eli Walkers worth a squad place, if not, susrely hes' worth a place on the summer tour..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 14 Jan - 23:59

If we play two 'finesse' backrowers in Tipuric and Faletau, will we change the tactics to make the most of their skills?

Or continue with pick & drive/kick & chase, trying to smash holes down the middle?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 15 Jan - 0:14

We may have to move Warbs to 6 if Lydiate isn't fit, because it looks likely that Ryan Jones will be covering second row if he's fit. Warbutons been playing well lately, but in more of a blindside role so I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world.

How people can justify Cuthbert being in the squad but not Walker is beyond me! Yes he scores tries but he's by far the laziest and technically awful defensive player in the team.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan - 0:19

Curly,

Right or wrong Cuthbert is a big part of the Welsh plans but for me it has been the continued inclusion of Harry Robinson that is the baffling one.

For me Walker and Prydie deserves inclusion ahead of Robinson
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 15 Jan - 0:26

I agree that Cuthbert is going to be a good player for Wales, but he needs to sort his defence out (as does Walker), a man of his size and speed should be a brick wall.

I'd start with North, Halfpenny and Williams in some order at the moment, Prydie needs to be brought along, purely to improve depth at fullback.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 15 Jan - 0:32

Yh I would go with that back 3 I would even give Williams and Halfpenny a bit of free reign to swap about a bit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 15 Jan - 1:26

I think it's no.8 where we are lacking option, not 6 and 7. If we played two open-sides then we would need a bruiser at 8 like Spies or Read. Not quite sure if Faletau is there yet. As it stands, Lewis Evans could be picking up his first cap.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 15 Jan - 1:41

Cuthbert has to start for me. For his defensice frailties the fact is he's a finisher, a natural finisher who can pick a gap and hit it. In Oz he was looking for the ball constantly and looked threatening every time he got it.

He's been scoring for the Blues also this season so for me he deserves his test spot.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 15 Jan - 5:36

With all these 6s injured, if Navidi doesn't get a call up it will be a joke. The Blues best player and captain recently.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Tue 15 Jan - 6:04

We've heard George North being compared to Jonah Lomu, Rhys Patchell to Stephen Larkham.

So I wanted to be the first to compare Eli Walker to Joe Rokococo and there are definitely similarities.

The regions may be struggling but there is some serious talent coming through.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan - 6:32

CurlyOsp wrote:I agree that Cuthbert is going to be a good player for Wales, but he needs to sort his defence out (as does Walker), a man of his size and speed should be a brick wall.

I'd start with North, Halfpenny and Williams in some order at the moment, Prydie needs to be brought along, purely to improve depth at fullback.

Good call on Prydie. Very happy to see him and Walker both prove their doubters wrong this season.

Prydie is a talent and a great goal kicker. Be great to see him back in the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 15 Jan - 6:38

Why don't Wales just go back to their tried and tested formula which works of having 4 fly-halves in the back division just as was the case in 1988 V England at Twickenham when Jonathan Davies played at 10, with Bleddyn Bowen at 12, Mark Ring at 13 and Tony Clement at 15.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 15 Jan - 6:42

gboycottnut wrote:Why don't Wales just go back to their tried and tested formula which works of having 4 fly-halves in the back division just as was the case in 1988 V England at Twickenham when Jonathan Davies played at 10, with Bleddyn Bowen at 12, Mark Ring at 13 and Tony Clement at 15.

Because we don't have four fly halves that good.

Mind you neither does anyone else in the championship.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 15 Jan - 6:53

maestegmafia wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:Why don't Wales just go back to their tried and tested formula which works of having 4 fly-halves in the back division just as was the case in 1988 V England at Twickenham when Jonathan Davies played at 10, with Bleddyn Bowen at 12, Mark Ring at 13 and Tony Clement at 15.

Because we don't have four fly halves that good.

Mind you neither does anyone else in the championship.

I'm sure you still do. What about Priestland, Biggar, Hook, Sweeney and that young precocious talent Rhys Patchell? Biggar can play the Jonathan Davies starring role at 10, with Priestland at 12, Hook at 13 and Patchell at 15 to play the same role at full-back that Tony Clement played that day V England.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next