The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match?

+4
Samo
Perry Groves is my dad
Shot 21 LCFC
legendkillar
8 posters

Go down

Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match? Empty Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match?

Post by legendkillar Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

Last night I treated myself to watching HBK v HHH Non-Sanctioned match at Summerslam 2002. Story telling at it's best in a match, and JR reminding me why he is the greatest commentator in wrestling. During the match HBK reached for the ladder under the ring and this prompted JR to remark "The innovator of Ladder Match, Shawn Michaels has reached for the ladder" after the match I reflected on that remark and thought yes when I think of the Ladder Match, yes I think of HBK v Razor Ramon at WM10 1994. It's strange in a sense that despite the fact that HBK didn't wrestle many Ladder Matches in his career compared with wrestlers like Jeff Hardy, Edge and RVD.

Then I thought of Hell In a Cell and I think of the Undertaker. The Hell in a Cell is often likened as the 'Devil's Playground' and that in itself affiliates itself with the Deadman. When I think of HITC I think of Taker and Michaels at Badd Blood 1997. HHH and Taker will go at it in a HITC at Wrestlemania 28 for the first time and it is a shame that this match wasn't 10 years young.

I thought of the Cage Match and drew a blank. Who epitomises the Cage Match? So many classic encounters have taken place in it. Jimmy Snuka for the high splash from the top of the cage on Don Muraco in 83, Dusty Rhodes v Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy's whisper in the wind on Umaga 2008. Still I can't find that wrestler that innovated the Cage Match.

Who does it for you?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match? Empty Re: Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match?

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Gotta be Snuka for me...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match? Empty Re: Match Innovators - Who Made The Cage Match?

Post by Perry Groves is my dad Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

I dont think its an innovator but i loved the superplex off the top of cage in the match between Hulk Hogan and the Big Boss Man on Saturday Night Main Event.

Perry Groves is my dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

Snukas splash of off the top is a defining moment in wrestling history. You could argue that people have done more impressive feats since, but Snuka certainly raised the bar for the cage match.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

My answer on this would be there simply isn't one.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

Spot wise there is some stand out candidates but agree with Bret that there isn't a match that defined it.

Best spot would have to be Jeff Hardy's Whisper in the Wind to Umaga. Sick, sick spot.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

I liked it when Big Show (or Paul Wight as they were calling him) threw Stone Cold through the Cage at St Valentine's Day Massacre

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:23 pm

King Beer wrote:Best spot would have to be Jeff Hardy's Whisper in the Wind to Umaga. Sick, sick spot.

I like the whisper in the wind attempt he did at Survivor Series 01 where he went through the table.

Other spots I can think of off the top of my head are:

Kurt Angle moonsault attempt to Chris Benoit
Rikishi body splash to Val Venis
Big Show Chokeslamming JBL through the ring from near the top of the cage
Big Show throwing Austin through the cage
Not in WWE but Elix Skipper doing the Hurricanrana off the top of the cage
Also not in WWE but Raven going through the table stack against Jeff Hardy.

(not saying they are better than the whisper just stoking people's memory)

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:24 pm

I miss the old school cage with the thick steel bars instead of the crappy mesh cage they have nowadays

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

One thing that bugs me with cage matches is that you can still win by pinfall, even going through the door is a ridiculous notion when you really think about it, it should be climb to get out is the only way to win.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

I hate cage matches where you can pin. That's not the point of a cage match!

And I bet the door was added for fatties

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Mon 12 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

Electric Demon wrote:I hate cage matches where you can pin. That's not the point of a cage match!

And I bet the door was added for fatties

Yea good point Demon, for Bundy or someone

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

bretmeharty wrote:One thing that bugs me with cage matches is that you can still win by pinfall, even going through the door is a ridiculous notion when you really think about it, it should be climb to get out is the only way to win.

OK

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down