The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition.

+6
Kay Fabe
Shot 21 LCFC
Hulking_up
NickisBHAFC
Dolphin Ziggler
Samo
10 posters

Go down

Best WWE Iron Man match.

Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap25%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 7 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap29%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 8 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap0%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap25%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 7 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap4%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap7%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap4%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap6%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_lcap0%Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 28

Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Empty Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition.

Post by Samo Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:42 pm

With all the different gimmick matches in pro wrestling these days I wanted to know what you, the good guys of 606V2 think are the best of their type. Kicking it off with the Iron Man match.

For arguements sake, I'm only using WWE matches that were on air, not including any house show matches, these rules will apply to future polls.

I had no recollection of the two tag ones. Whatsoever. Weird to think we havent seen an Iron Man match in 4 and a half years.

My vote goes to Triple H and The Rock. I'd just got into wrestling that year and was already a major Rock fan. I remember the debut of the American Bad Ass Undertaker vividly, and remember freaking out when HBK DQ'd the Rock in the last minute. Quality stuff.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Empty Re: Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition.

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm not sure who to vote for, but how mental and bad that ending was in the Rock/HHH makes me think less of it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition. Empty Re: Best match of a Gimmick - Iron Man match edition.

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:24 pm

I really liked the Lesnar vs Angle match on Smackdown, so that gets my vote.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 pm

HBK/Bret for me.
The video packages were great.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:25 am

Triple H v The Rock at Judgment Day gets my vote. Watched that again last week as well.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm really surprised Shawn & Bret are doing so well on this poll, it'd be interesting to hear from the voters on why they choose that particular match and what was so good about it.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:26 pm

I've never been the biggest fan of the HBK v Bret match, it was technically executed very well but it was pretty dull.

Contrast to the Angle vs Lesnar match which was much more exciting and never had a dull moment.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I choose Shawn and Bret because I think it tells a good story which they were able to carry through the match. Shawn the underdog, the showstopper, was he now mature enough to realise his dream by curtailing his high risk style or would the champion and master be too good for him over the 60 minutes.

Unliek a lot of people, I don't think the alledged refusal of either to take the first fall hindered the match at all. It played into the story quite well that neither wanted to lose. The ending was also well done in that it looked fairly certain Bret would beat Shawn as his back who so badly hurt by the sharpshooter yet he was able to overcome it and win in the end.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Last edited by liverbnz on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duiplicate post!)

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for that liverbnz, I disagree about the match but its good to see a different prespective on that match, I personally felt it was far to slow paced to be considered a great match let alone the greatest Iron Man match, my opinion of the match may have changed if it wasn't an Iron Man match, if it was a normal match that coulda been over at anytime yet went that distance might have gave me a better appreciation for it but when you have constant reminders of the time I felt that the match needed far more action, particularly in the secondl half of it when these two guys shpuld be tiring so naturally susceptible to pin falls or submissions than they would when they were fresher.

I also wasn't a fan of the finish, never was and never will, Bret Hart was told he had to be beaten within 60 minutes, he wasn't, infact he was the one who had the match won when the bell rang, I remember at the time comparing it to a football team being given a penalty in the last minute but the referee blowing for full time before they're allowed to take it and the opposition scoring a golden goal after the re-start.

I wanted Shawn to win that match at the time, I felt it was his time but at the time I felt the victory was cheap as Bret had completed the match without losing, I'm not a fan of matches being restarted unless its an obvious screwy finish and its early enough, after 60 minutes I felt it was a bit of a mess.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:58 pm

I can understand why the ending would not sit that well with some but at the end of the day it's wrestling and the rules seem to change as they go along. Anyway I think theat Bret having Shawn in the sharpshooter with the clock running down showed just how much Shawn wanted to win (or not get beaten). The only way the sharpshooter could have been broken is by the time running out.

They could have had Shawn breakout of the sharpshooter I guess, but it was a heavily protected hold and he had just gone 60 minutes so I suppose they thought it was the best way to pull off that particular finish to the match.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I think a lot of people probably view the Bret/HBK match differently now to what they did when watching it live. The Iron Man match hadn't been seen before, the concept was exciting and everyone was glued to it to see who would get the first fall, the longer it went on the more engrossed you were and although it was 0-0 it was the equivalent of an 'exciting 0-0 football match'. In hindsight when I look back as a grown adult and having watched more and better Iron Man matches the Bret/HBK match doesn't seem quite as good, very dull in fact. But I can see people would vote for it. It depends on whether you want to vote on the basis of comparing all the matches with eachother or vote on how you felt watching a particular match at that given time.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

With Bret being the Champion I never understood why he had Shawn in the Sharpshooter anyway, he couldn't lose in the final 20 seconds or so, either Shawn gave up or the time would run out, I didn't feel any real suspense to the proceedings for me, if it had been the Champ holding on at the end I think it would have added more drama.

awck I find it hard to really see many positives in this match, I've always been highly critical of it, I watched it again a few years ago incase I was overly critical of it but if anything it just came across worse than I initially remembered, like I say, if it was just a straight up match that lasted the hour I tjink it'd have been remembered more fondly because any minute could be the last minute, I also think Gorilla Monsoon calling for Overtime would also have made more sense but from the 15 minute mark onwards it was a long slow slog until the last 10 minutes.

Any two guys who can do a Broadway deserve immense credit for having the physical and mental strength to carry it off but I just don't feel the match stood the test of time and I never felt other than the result that the match was memorable at all, i feel sometimes these types of matches can go too OTT in the other direction as well, the Cena/Orton match had far to many falls in it for my liking, it was hard to buy into the two top guys dropping so many pin falls in such a short space of time but I feel Bret/HBK would have been so much better visually and dramatically if it finished maybe 2-1 to Shawn

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:49 pm

I remember being bored off my t*ts during the Bret vs Shawn match. Not one sodding fall throughout? Yawn.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down