The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Undertaker

+9
Don Caboose
Beer
James_182
Y2James
djcc2004
Crimey
Aaronb33
psycho-gooner
Mark_Seven
13 posters

Go down

The Undertaker Empty The Undertaker

Post by Mark_Seven Thu 15 Mar 2012, 5:26 pm

What do you lot think of the reactions 'Taker has been getting on his return? Though he's come out to decent pops, some of the crowd have heckled him when he's been promoing- very audable shouts of 'Boring' and 'Retire' in the last few weeks- and he's getting 'What'-ed everytime he speaks too.

Though some people might be tired of him, you would expect that a live crowd would be pretty chuffed to have the exclusive Undertaker show up at their town for Raw. He's bound to hear it too and by all accounts he's not the kind of guy that takes being disrespected lightly.

Might this prompt him to call time on his career earlier than he might have?

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

The Undertaker Empty Re: The Undertaker

Post by psycho-gooner Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

It's just smark fans thinking it's cool to be a minority, probably the same lot that think it's now cool to hate the rock.

I still love hearing the Undertaker promo

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:54 am

Everyone except the Rock it seems gets the "What" chants. Austin, for this reason alone, you suck.

I don't think Taker is the type of guy who will let a minority affect his career decsions. From what I've heard and read, he's a guy who has massive input regarding his chartacter's direction, and I don't believe anyone except him will make the decision to retire. I can't see the WWE telling him to retire, he's far too respected in the locker room for that. Same goes for other wrestlers telling him to retire. If his boss and his peers can't make him retire, and I'm sure some have tried nudging him towards it, then there's no way a minority section of fans will influence it.

That said, Mick Foley was massively respected and certain people in the then-WWF influenced his decision to retire in 2000. Fair enough, he mainly did it to spend more time with his family, but in his book, he describes Vince telling him that he needed to at least slow down a bit.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:06 am

I assume it's only because he's going up against the equally respected Triple H and Shawn Michaels that some members of the crowd are reacting like that, most likely, had The Undertaker been facing anybody else, bar possibly CM Punk (?) he would be getting a much more positive reaction.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djcc2004 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:36 am

psycho-gooner wrote:It's just smark fans thinking it's cool to be a minority, probably the same lot that think it's now cool to hate the rock.

I still love hearing the Undertaker promo

totally agree with this.

iv never been a big undertaker fan but respect him.

i had noticed alot of smarks now turning on the rock because its cool to be in a minority, yet prior to 14th Feb 2011 they would of been moaning its not been the same since he was gone and wish he would come back.

djcc2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:16 am

Can't say I'm really that bothered about him, but I think thats only because it's mania season and despite them throwing all these gimmicks at the taker match it doesn't change the fact that Taker will leave Mania streak intact. It's predictable and boring. It would be different of this was at a different ppv and there was a chance that taker could lose, but that's never gonna happen

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

Aaronb33 wrote:
That said, Mick Foley was massively respected and certain people in the then-WWF influenced his decision to retire in 2000. Fair enough, he mainly did it to spend more time with his family, but in his book, he describes Vince telling him that he needed to at least slow down a bit.

From my recollection of the book it wasnt to spend family time, Foley describes telling VKM about the chronic pains he was getting in his back and knees from the years of abuse and Vince suggested he called it a day offering him a much lighter role after giving him a big send off with the street fight, HIAC and WM main event.

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:11 am

The Deadman gimmick is on the most recognisable in Pro Wrestling and would say most people who don’t care for wrestling have heard of him, and think its quite disrespectful to heckle someone who has dedicated their life and health to the business.

Though not a massive mark of him myself he is one of the greatest ever and is always capable of putting on a quality match.

His match’s for the last 3 Mania’s have stole the show and I am personally looking forward to his match with HHH the most this year.

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

I actually am more looking forward to seeing him with no hair.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

No Hair = American Bad A$$??

It would be a mark out moment if Trips is in the cell waiting for Taker to come out and instead of the Dong of the bells and the arena getting a black out, we hear ‘ All Right Partner, keep on rolling baby, you know what time it is!’

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:41 am

Y2James wrote:
Aaronb33 wrote:

From my recollection of the book it wasnt to spend family time, Foley describes telling VKM about the chronic pains he was getting in his back and knees from the years of abuse and Vince suggested he called it a day offering him a much lighter role after giving him a big send off with the street fight, HIAC and WM main event.

That's partially true, but if you remember, the theme of wanting to spend more time with his family was present throughout the entire book. It definitely played a role in his decsion. He even said that the moment he decided to retire was when he realised his knees wouldn't let him play football with his son.

My point was though, yes Mick told Vince about the pain and yes Vince agreed to let him retire...but in the end it was Mick's decision alone, just like it would be Taker's alone.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

Aaronb33 wrote:Everyone except the Rock it seems gets the "What" chants. Austin, for this reason alone, you suck.

Yeah it is a shame that one of his lasting legacies will be that ruddy chant. It absolutley destorys promos of less over guys, or those more softly spoken than the usual shouty promo style.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

It really winds me up. I mean, can you imagine Foley's "Cane Dewey" promo, one of the best of all time while the crowd are chanting that flippin' awful chant. Or promos by Dusty, or Terry Funk, or Raven? I have literally no idea what the bloody hell was going through Austin's head when he thought it would be a good idea.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

James_182 wrote:No Hair = American Bad A$$??

No Hair = American Bald Ass

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Caboose Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:12 pm

Aaronb33 wrote:It really winds me up. I mean, can you imagine Foley's "Cane Dewey" promo, one of the best of all time while the crowd are chanting that flippin' awful chant. Or promos by Dusty, or Terry Funk, or Raven? I have literally no idea what the bloody hell was going through Austin's head when he thought it would be a good idea.

Well from what I've read and seen on his DVD, it started as a joke between Austin and Christian, then he added it as a quirk of his heel persona during the InVasion to talk down to people and finally the crowd just took to it.

I hate it as much as you do, but on the other hand, the promo style of Miz, Jericho, HHH, Undertaker etc, the slow drawl that they all talk in has encouraged it greatly. Talk more fluently like Punk and the "What?!"s seem to go away.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

I wish the old man would just call it a day.

I still have no interest in their match at wm

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:44 pm

bretmeharty wrote:I wish the old man would just call it a day.

I still have no interest in their match at wm

Partially agree with you. Taker is my fave of all time but I do want him to call it a day soon. His matches aren't what they used to be. My only interest in his match is that I dont want the streak to end.

Personally i'd love to see him form a stable, and somehow pass part of his gimmick onto a youngster if that's possible. (that way i still get to see Taker without worrying for his health)

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

For me there's no intrigue for this match, last year there was but that has all gone now.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

I love Taker but he does worry me nowadays. I would prefer him to finish on 20-0 as I do think he will hurt himself soon. Thankfully the HIAC will stop him doing the dive over the top rope, however I can imagine him and Trips ending up on the top of it *stressed*

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:35 pm

It's almost as if Undertaker has become our favourite grandad who isn't as mobile as he used to be so we're all scared when he does anything remotely energetic Sad

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jai.roberts Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

Taker should end it here at mania 20 - 0 .... he only comes out for mania season now anyway so i can see him calling it a day now....

Even if they end upon top of the cage i can't see no major bumps happening ....Personally i can't see em escaping the cage... i think it will be a PG cage match as brutal as no blood will allow

jai.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Seven Sat 17 Mar 2012, 12:13 am

psycho-gooner wrote:It's almost as if Undertaker has become our favourite grandad who isn't as mobile as he used to be so we're all scared when he does anything remotely energetic Sad

Haha I like that analogy. During their match last year I spent a fair bit of time worrying that one of them was seriously hurt and that the match would be ruined and one of them might have to retire forever or something- I was convinced for a bit that Triple H had broken his arm when he kept holding it after getting backdropped off the announce table early on and I went to bed when it was all over concerned that Undertaker might not be alive when I woke up the next day (what an idiot lol).

I'm wasn't like that for any other match, I think it's just pure sentiment for the two. This year I know i'll be worrying that Rock might make a mistake or something and his match won't live up to the hype.

Do I worry about money or war or politics? No no no, I i'm far too busy fretting over whether I'll ever see the Undertaker again or if The Rock's gonna mess up his kip-up..

Mark_Seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down