The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny needs to fight Marquez again

+11
HumanWindmill
John Bloody Wayne
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Imperial Ghosty
coxy0001
azania
BALTIMORA
TRUSSMAN66
D4thincarnation
joeyjojo618
Liam_Main
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Manny needs to fight Marquez again Empty Manny needs to fight Marquez again

Post by Liam_Main Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:37 pm

In my eyes in the next few years if Manny doesn't fight Mayweather then he has to fight Marquez I say this as how easily Floyd beat Marquez and how much Mannys struggled against him they drew the first fight and Marquez clearly won the second in a close fight but they gave it to Pacquaio.If he doesn't fight Marquez Manny's ATG rank will likely be less than Floyd because of that fight I for one would love to see the 3rd fight but think that Mannys just the more improved fighter and can see him winning by UD.Although if one of them opt to fight Sergio Martinez and LOSE then its a whole different story and we'll still be looking for the world current p4p number 1 a simple plan would be for just Sergio to fight Manny and then the winner to fight Floyd and then we would find out the best fighter in the world at this moment but however sadly my plan is very very unlikely to happen..
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Manny needs to fight Marquez again Empty Re: Manny needs to fight Marquez again

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:54 pm

I think Manny has outgrown Marquez. The fight would be at 147 (at least...) and I believe JMM would be hammered at the weight. If they fought at a lower catchweight it would be competitive (imo), but thats never going to happen.

Its a big ask to expect Manny to go up again to fight Martinez. Hes done very well moving up through the weights, but I dont see how much higher he can go. Shame, but dont see it happening (and fair enough.)

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:59 pm

It will probably happen in November, some fans want to see the fight, and Manny has beating or scared off any of the other challenges out there.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:00 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:I think Manny has outgrown Marquez. The fight would be at 147 (at least...) and I believe JMM would be hammered at the weight. If they fought at a lower catchweight it would be competitive (imo), but thats never going to happen.

Its a big ask to expect Manny to go up again to fight Martinez. Hes done very well moving up through the weights, but I dont see how much higher he can go. Shame, but dont see it happening (and fair enough.)

Sergios said in some interviews that he would go at a catch weight to fight Manny
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:06 pm

I can think of 10-1-1 reasons why he should Liam..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

Did Martinez say how low he would be prepared to go? If he could get down to 151-154 it would be funny to see Pacman's camp try and justify why the fight couldnt happen. He is a champ at the weight afterall.

I dont think Manny's people want anything to do with Martinez, catchweight or not. This is fair enough I think, I certainly wouldnt criticise him for this.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

It's a farce the way Pacquiao and Roach have avoided Marquez like the plague, and will continue to do so until they're confident Marquez is either a) past it or b) willing to disadvantage himself by fighting at too high a weight, or c) both. How anyone can consider Pacquiao's status as an ATG without taking into account the way Pacquiao has ducked Marquez since their second fight is beyond me. Only a complete idiot could try to exonerate Pacquiao and Roach for ducking JMM so blatantly.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:It's a farce the way Pacquiao and Roach have avoided Marquez like the plague, and will continue to do so until they're confident Marquez is either a) past it or b) willing to disadvantage himself by fighting at too high a weight, or c) both. How anyone can consider Pacquiao's status as an ATG without taking into account the way Pacquiao has ducked Marquez since their second fight is beyond me. Only a complete idiot could try to exonerate Pacquiao and Roach for ducking JMM so blatantly.

Pac's status as an ATG was cemented in the FW division. Barerra and Morales fights did it. Above that has been a joke.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

Cotto was a very good result, in his defense.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:33 pm

Cotto-Marg was like Rosario-Chavez..the kind of beating that really hurts a fighter!!

Not looked the same since..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:34 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Cotto was a very good result, in his defense.

Where there are weight stips, I tend to discount them. Clottey was a better call than Cotto. Oscar was a joke and Hatton had been exposed and had an extremely poor camp.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:34 pm

Not sure why most people are forgetting this would now be a lightweight vs a welterweight........

Should be a non starter in my eyes

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:41 pm

I dont give anyone any credit for beating Clottey, I dont rate him at all. I am prepared to give Manny the benefit of the doubt with Cotto because it was only a pound or so, but to each his own.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:43 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:I dont give anyone any credit for beating Clottey, I dont rate him at all. I am prepared to give Manny the benefit of the doubt with Cotto because it was only a pound or so, but to each his own.

Clottey pushed Cotto all the way. There weren't any weight stips. Thats my take anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:33 pm

Don't think you can discount the Cotto or Hatton wins, they may have previously been beaten but many top boxers are at some point. The manner in which he beat them both is regardless of anything else very impressive.

The Clottey, De La Hoya and Margarito wins are less than impressive but that doesn't take away from what he'd already done

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm

Quote from this months ring mag on why jmm remains a threat to manny:

"to those that scoff at the notion of a fight now that manny is so much bigger, remember 2 things: manny gained 16 pounds after the weigh in for the rematch so had a significant weight advantage then, and when youve got a guys number you've got it for good. Yes manny has gotten better under roach and he may be too much for Marquez who, at 37, is not a spry as he once was, but when a guy fights you to a standstill twice chances are he can do it again".

I think manny has come more into his prime since '08 whereas Marquez has passed his. But if it's a fair weight it could be a good challenge. Manny needs a stylistic challenge, not a physical one now, and other than mayweather Marquez poses him the biggsmest stylistic challenge. I just hope jmm isn't so desperate for the fight he agrees to a stupid weight and disadvantages himself. The way things are going I think I'd rather see manny fight Bradley if Bradley can beat khan. It's about time manny fought a fresh, up and coming challenger instead of a made to measure top rank stiff.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:54 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Quote from this months ring mag on why jmm remains a threat to manny:

"to those that scoff at the notion of a fight now that manny is so much bigger, remember 2 things: manny gained 16 pounds after the weigh in for the rematch so had a significant weight advantage then, and when youve got a guys number you've got it for good. Yes manny has gotten better under roach and he may be too much for Marquez who, at 37, is not a spry as he once was, but when a guy fights you to a standstill twice chances are he can do it again".

I think manny has come more into his prime since '08 whereas Marquez has passed his. But if it's a fair weight it could be a good challenge. Manny needs a stylistic challenge, not a physical one now, and other than mayweather Marquez poses him the biggsmest stylistic challenge. I just hope jmm isn't so desperate for the fight he agrees to a stupid weight and disadvantages himself. The way things are going I think I'd rather see manny fight Bradley if Bradley can beat khan. It's about time manny fought a fresh, up and coming challenger instead of a made to measure top rank stiff.

I dont neccessarily agree with the ring comments. Manny has learned from the JMM fight and has improved greately. If a slightly above average slugger like Katsidis can give him issues, I seriously fear for him if and when he fights Manny. Plus Manny has bulked up and increased his power. How? Only god knows but he has. JMM is going downhill albeit slowly. Pac will probably fight him next year when he's definately at the bottom of the hill.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm

How has he bulked up and increased his power so successfully? Probably steroids and/or HGH...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:17 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:How has he bulked up and increased his power so successfully? Probably steroids and/or HGH...

Thats one of the mysteries of the world. Right up there with bigfoot and the yeti.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:18 am

I can't believe the unfounded ramblings of the Mayweather clan have gained so much weight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:26 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I can't believe the unfounded ramblings of the Mayweather clan have gained so much weight.

It wasn't just the Mayweather clan. There's been rumblings that I've read about prior to FMJ asking for tests. Floyd's clan simply brought out into the open.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:30 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I can't believe the unfounded ramblings of the Mayweather clan have gained so much weight.

I agree this whole scenario has blown up because of things said by the Mayweathers, but nonetheless there IS a very simple way to put the rumours to bed, but for whatever reason Pacquiao won't just do that. Weird eh?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

I agree this whole scenario has blown up because of things said by the Mayweathers, but nonetheless there IS a very simple way to put the rumours to bed, but for whatever reason Pacquiao won't just do that. Weird eh?

Its not only what Mayweather said but what Pac said. So many excuses and often contradicting one another. First he said he was scared of needles. Hello???? Are those tattoos stick on ones? Then he said that taking blood weakens him. Nonsense. Pure BS. Taking one vial of blood will not weaken you. That is medically proven. ALl these excuses stoked the flames also.

Personally as I have said. I believe he is on something. Creatine maybe. Or Kellogs cereal bars.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:44 am

I don't doubt that Pacquiao may believe that it would weaken him, but regardless of that, all he has to do is take the test. His refusal to do so tarnished his claim to be clean.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:52 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I don't doubt that Pacquiao may believe that it would weaken him, but regardless of that, all he has to do is take the test. His refusal to do so tarnished his claim to be clean.

He brought it on himself if people look at him suspisciously.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:56 am

coxy0001 wrote:Not sure why most people are forgetting this would now be a lightweight vs a welterweight........

Didn't stop Mayweather Whistle

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:03 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Not sure why most people are forgetting this would now be a lightweight vs a welterweight........

Which you repeatedly slated him for, you hypocrite. Yet on numerous occasions you tried to defend any decision Pacquiao may make to fight JMM at welterweight. Sorry, did I say "...Pacquiao may make"? I meant Roach and Arum. Pacquiao will always be criticised for ducking out of the trilogy.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:04 am

At least he didn't get it handed to him like a certain someone Wink

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:06 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

Very true. The boxing lesson Floyd dished out is diminished by the difference in weight between the two. Lets ignore the difference in skills as exhibited in that fight. There will always be an asterix with that bout for me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:07 am

BALTIMORA wrote:How has he bulked up and increased his power so successfully? Probably steroids and/or HGH...

Lets hope after Pacquiao take Mayweather to the cleaners, in the courts because Floyd is scared to face Manny in the ring, he will come after you for your libelous comments.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:08 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

I always assumed it was because Mayweather requested the tests that they are being refused. As if to say "No, Floyd, you don't run this town. Mosely had been previously caught, but there's as much evidence to say you're on something as I am so you've got no leverege. If the governing body had it in the rules then that'd be that but they don't. We're the competitiors not the rule-makers." Or something to that effect...

Even if it isn't true they should've said it anyway.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:09 am

Your not too scared to face Manny in the ring are you D4

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:11 am

Floyd thought, Cotto, Williams, Mosley, Pacquiao, but no lets ask a career feather to jump 3 weight in a year at the age of 36 and still come in over the agreed limit and probably had 10-14lbs on Marquez in the ring.

Maybe Floyd will fight Gamboa in his next come back fight :run2:

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:13 am

imperialghosty wrote:Your not too scared to face Manny in the ring are you D4

Haven't you got school tomorrow

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:13 am

D4thincarnation wrote:Floyd thought, Cotto, Williams, Mosley, Pacquiao, but no lets ask a career feather to jump 3 weight in a year at the age of 36 and still come in over the agreed limit and probably had 10-14lbs on Marquez in the ring.

So why didn't Pac fight Marquez before an aged Mosely? Lets not get into the Floyd/Manny issues or this thread will be merged with the other.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:14 am

You know as well as me that Mayweathers weight doesn't vary much from the weigh to fight night so it's pure speculation on your part to suggest he weighed much more than 146lbs.

Should also note he then fought Mosley next but you always forget that, Williams had moved to Middleweight and Cotto was tied up fighting Pacquiao but don't let facts get in the way of your one man propaganda.

Maybe Pacquiao will get Trinidad out of retirement for his next fight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:16 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

Could say the same thing, from the looks of it you enjoy a good playground roundabout, going round in circles over and over again

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:16 am

azania wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Floyd thought, Cotto, Williams, Mosley, Pacquiao, but no lets ask a career feather to jump 3 weight in a year at the age of 36 and still come in over the agreed limit and probably had 10-14lbs on Marquez in the ring.

So why didn't Pac fight Marquez before an aged Mosely? Lets not get into the Floyd/Manny issues or this thread will be merged with the other.

Negotiations broke down, Marquez asking for twice as much as he got from Floyd, well I suppose Pacquiao is the bigger draw.

Pacquiao was always going to fight his next fight at 147lbs and Mosley was the best at the weight, also a free agent which made negotiations easy.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:17 am

Bigger draw

Check the De La Hoya, Hatton and Marquez PPV numbers Very Happy

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

imperialghosty wrote:You know as well as me that Mayweathers weight doesn't vary much from the weigh to fight night so it's pure speculation on your part to suggest he weighed much more than 146lbs.

Should also note he then fought Mosley next but you always forget that, Williams had moved to Middleweight and Cotto was tied up fighting Pacquiao but don't let facts get in the way of your one man propaganda.

Maybe Pacquiao will get Trinidad out of retirement for his next fight

You know as well as me Mayweather has refused to get on the ring scales since he has Hatton. Why do you think that is. Mayweather is around 156lbs in the ring now.

Mayweather has also fought older opponents than Pacquiao, the average age of his last 6 fighters is around 35 years old

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:20 am

Pure speculation D4 and personally I can't guess someones weight just by looking at them

Age is one thing but fighting washed up fighters is another

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:20 am

imperialghosty wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Could say the same thing, from the looks of it you enjoy a good playground roundabout, going round in circles over and over again

I have not wrote any article on Mayweather or Pacquiao today or for a good few day, but if people are going to discuss this topic as I will throw my two pence in and put the record straight.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:22 am

imperialghosty wrote:Pure speculation D4 and personally I can't guess someones weight just by looking at them

Age is one thing but fighting washed up fighters is another

So you don't think Mayweather is bigger since Hatton, and have you an explanation why he has refused to get on the ring scales?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:23 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:

Negotiations broke down, Marquez asking for twice as much as he got from Floyd, well I suppose Pacquiao is the bigger draw.

Pacquiao was always going to fight his next fight at 147lbs and Mosley was the best at the weight, also a free agent which made negotiations easy.

No D4, negotiations started and Team Pac called them off immediately after hearing JMM's offer. There were no negotiations after that. Maybe JMM things a trilogy would bring in more money if promoted properly. He was right to ask for more. Who wouldn't.

As for SSM being the next best. Total BS. He just got spanked by Floyd and a bore draw with a reality tv star. How about Bradley? I'm sure he would have pulled out of the Alexander fight. Please dont say that Bradley didn;t call him out. Its never about that. What did Parris Hands do to deserve a shot?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:24 am

Last time I checked 33 wasn't 35 but that would be the truth not a lie though wouldn't it D4

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:24 am

It beginning to become a joke, people call for Pacquiao to fight Mosley, he does that then he get criticised for it.

The they call for him to fight Marquez, then he getting critised when that fight may happen too.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:27 am

Mosley 38
Marquez 36
Hatton 30
Oscar 34
Baldomir 35

Average is around 35

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:27 am

Unlike you I don't speculate mistruths D4 so with regards to Mayweathers weight until you can prove he weighed 156lbs your opinion isn't worth anything.

If Pacquiao was such a big draw wouldn't Marquez be entitled to more money for a fight with such a superstar?

Azania, Bradley has never called Pacquiao out so it's not akin to Mayweather not fighting say Cotto

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:28 am

D4thincarnation wrote:Mosley 38
Marquez 36
Hatton 30
Oscar 34
Baldomir 35

Average is around 35

You said last 6 D4 not last 5, with Judahs 28 bringing that number down to around 33 censored

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:29 am

If Bradly beats Khan then Pacquiao is his prize, to share the ring with a great boxer like that Bradley should be honoured for however short it is.

Good fight to sell.

But I expect Khan to beat Bradley

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next