The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's....

+2
TRUSSMAN66
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
6 posters

Go down

So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's.... Empty So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's....

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

But who is ranked higher in your ATG list??

Bernard Hopkins -

2 weight world champion
Record in World title fights : 24 - 4 - 2 - (2NC)
Best Win - Felix Trinidad TKO12

Floyd Mayweather -

5 weight world champion
Record in World title fights : 22 - 0 - 0
Best win - Diego Corrales TKO 10

Back to top Go down

So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's.... Empty Re: So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

Sorry Mate but ..........For me....

losses to Calzaghe...Jones jr and Jermaine Taylor twice mean Floyd is higher.....

Hoppo is great but he has been found out.....

Floyd give or take a close decision has always found a way....

Dela Hoya, unbeaten Hatton and Marquez for me are just as good as anyone Hoppo has beat....

Hoppo had all the advantages at his weight over Trinidad and delaHoya...

Mayweather has been for me the best since leonard..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's.... Empty Re: So we can all agree B-Hop's resume is better than Mayweather's....

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:56 pm

I agree i rank Floyd higher too was just curious to others opinions...

Hopkins win over Pavlik was an incredible performance but with all Pavlik's problems after it has been somewhat tainted....

And do you not rate Trinidad as Hopkins' best win then??

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Well If Bhop in your eyes has the better resume then how have you got floyd higher??????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

Because B-hop has won close, hard fights....Floyd has made everyone he's fought look average

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

He beat Oscar by split decision.....had a tough early struggle against Hatton........Castillo was disputable....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:33 pm

Technically it was a split decision...but IMO the fight was not close, the fight stats support that

He was never troubled with Hatton, it was messy early on but he picked him apart, again not a close fight IMO hatton landed nothing

I would agree the first Castillo fight was the closest of Mayweathers career, and he was injured....i still think he won that fight personally

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

Had Mayweather Castillo 114 - 112 if memory serves. Inc. point deductions. (To Mayweather)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:Because B-hop has won close, hard fights....Floyd has made everyone he's fought look average

Probably because Floyd is that much better than everyone else. Done see why he should get marked down because of that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Had Mayweather Castillo 114 - 112 if memory serves. Inc. point deductions. (To Mayweather)

Can't remember my score but i think i had it to May by 2-3 rounds

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

azania wrote:
Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:Because B-hop has won close, hard fights....Floyd has made everyone he's fought look average

Probably because Floyd is that much better than everyone else. Done see why he should get marked down because of that.

Its not a case of marking B-Hop down, more of marking Mayweather up - would you disagree that a spectacular, dominant win deserves more credit than a close, dubious one?

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:
azania wrote:

Its not a case of marking B-Hop down, more of marking Mayweather up - would you disagree that a spectacular, dominant win deserves more credit than a close, dubious one?

The title baffles me.

Floyd is the superior boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

The title baffles me.

.....yes but Hopkins has the better resume...

if you've just commented to be awkward could you jog on

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

Flloyd is great, i dont want to knock him too much, but i think there are a few current boxers with better resumes, and hopkins is one of them as far as im concerned. flloyd is running through the boxers who bring the most to the table, where as bernard is fighting the fights that he thinks he can prove most by winning.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

The title baffles me.

I doubt that also. I cant see how his resume is better that Floyd's. The good boxers he's fought beat him. The good boxers he beat were smaller than him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:15 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:
azania wrote:

The title baffles me.

I doubt that also. I cant see how his resume is better that Floyd's. The good boxers he's fought beat him. The good boxers he beat were smaller than him.

utter nonesense

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

Not a huge amount in it and have them both around the 20 mark but Hopkins dominance of a good middleweight division gives him the slight edge for me as are his later performances in the light heavyweight division. Oddly longevity between the two despite Hopkins age is very even as there records in world title fights show, wouldn't argue too much either way but right now would edge it with Hopkins. In future Hopkins isn't going to lose any respect even if he loses while Mayweather still has a fair bit to gain.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:30 pm

So you have guys like Louis, Hagler etc between 20-30 then Ghosty!!

As there is no way they can be above Floyd!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

Without his light heavyweight exploits I wouldn't have him quite so high but yes I would have Louis and Hagler around the 25-30 mark, personally think Hopkins is an overall better boxer than Hagler, don't think he'd have been suckered by that version of Leonard.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

Lance wrote:
azania wrote:
azania wrote:
azania wrote:

The title baffles me.

utter nonesense

Amazing counter argument.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

If Mayweather is around 20 Ghosty...love to see numbers 10-20 on your list sometime!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

BHop get a pass because of his age. Look at it purely from a boxing point of view. Losses to Calzaghe, Jermain Taylor twice and RJJ (no shame in that) harms him. I for one cant see Floyd losing to Jermain Taylor or a Joe Calzaghe.

People can talk about his LHW exploits, but the LHW division is relatively weak.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:47 pm

Could we please keep this sensible for once, everyone myself included should debate the topic and nothing else.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Mayweather is around 20 Ghosty...love to see numbers 10-20 on your list sometime!!!

No problem Truss.

11. Langford
12. Whitaker
13. Pep
14. Leonard
15. Ross
16. Gans
17. Walker
18. Moore
19. Hopkins
20. Mayweather

On any given day could have Mayweather as high as 18 with Chavez, Pacquiao, Arguello, Burley, Sanchez, Griffith, Gavilian, Louis, Hagler, Jones and Hearns being there or there abouts, not a lot between the 18-30 men.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:04 pm

Hoppo above Mayweather????

Don't see as many at the time top 5 p4pers on his list and don't see a guy who's been exposed like Hoppo has being above Mayweather..

Walker..Whittaker...Ross WTF!!!!!!

Leonard at 14...he's my number 4!!!

Whittaker beat the likes of DelaHoya..Marquez did he?????

Whittaker hasn't got the names on his record besides Floyd dominated from 130-154...

You don't like Floyd admit it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:05 pm

I cant see Hop being that high to be honest. I'd have him in the low 40s whereas I'd have Floyd under 15th. For me Floyd has proven himself to be the very best in all the divisions he has competed in. Hop wasn't the best MW of his generation, lost to the best SMW and debateable if he is even the best LHW.

If we base it on longevity, then he would be top 10.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:14 pm

Truss, are you serious in saying I don't like Mayweather? I am his biggest fan on this site and was always the first to stand up for him when faced with the lunacy of D4.

Whitaker dominated 135lbs to 154lbs and was robbed on more than once occassion, had him comfortably beating Ramirez, Chavez and De La Hoya but only got a draw for his efforts, he was a superb fighter who didn't get the results he deserved.

Walker was facing and beating great fighters his whole career and would have to have him above Mayweather.

As for Ross there isn't really a comparison between the two resumes while the Leonard in question is Benny not Ray who I have around 7/8.

Mayweather is a more talented fighter than them all with the exception of Whitaker.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:16 pm

You know what the problem is for modern fighters..

They can rule from 130-154 be at the top unbeaten for 12 years unlike anyone in history....they can beat fellow p4pers and greats...they can have all the skill in the world!!!

But they'll never be as romantic as old black and white fighters who's opposition has never been vetted and there victories glorified over time...

Would guys like Tunney beat Jones jr...no not really but hey it's nice to think it...

Was Dempsey really much more than a fearsome brawler..no not really.....

But it's more interesting to think they are highly skilled fighters in a highly skilled time..

All BS and bollox.....

Should Floyd be number 1???? Probably not but does he have a case..yeah heck yeah!!!

But he's born sixty years too late...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know what the problem is for modern fighters..

They can rule from 130-154 be at the top unbeaten for 12 years unlike anyone in history....they can beat fellow p4pers and greats...they can have all the skill in the world!!!

But they'll never be as romantic as old black and white fighters who's opposition has never been vetted and there victories glorified over time...

Would guys like Tunney beat Jones jr...no not really but hey it's nice to think it...

Was Dempsey really much more than a fearsome brawler..no not really.....

But it's more interesting to think they are highly skilled fighters in a highly skilled time..

All BS and bollox.....

Should Floyd be number 1???? Probably not but does he have a case..yeah heck yeah!!!

But he's born sixty years too late...

Now if only I had said that.

Wonderful post and so damned accurate. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

Of course Truss, knew you were going to go down that route but yes Tunney would comprehensively beat Jones, that's me out.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

You were out two posts ago Mate...

Rose tinted brigade!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:23 pm

Of course Truss, I rate Mayweather lower than you and have rose tinted glasses.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:38 pm

Would have to say i have mayweather above Whitaker

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

Same here. I'd hate to have sat thru 45 minutes of them posturing, feignting and throwing the occassional punch were they ever to fight. Although I'd pick Floyd to win such an encounter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:43 pm

i dont like disputing peoples lists as after all it is just personal opinion but Ghosty does that mean RJJ is in your top 10?

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 8:45 pm

Unbeatable Georgey Groves wrote:i dont like disputing peoples lists as after all it is just personal opinion but Ghosty does that mean RJJ is in your top 10?

No he's in the 25-30 bracket.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down