The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year"

+10
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Union Cane
bhb001
Rowley
hampo17
JabMachineMK2
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
14 posters

Go down

"Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year" Empty "Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year"

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

From The Daily Wail. To be fair, it's their words, not his...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2117277/Tyson-Fury-hails-Klitschko-brothers-says-hell-beat-day--Jeff-Powell.html

The stewards of the British Boxing Board of Control performed a much-needed service to their sport when they nerved themselves to withdraw Dereck Chisora's license and also warn David Haye that he faces a similar fate if he applies to come out of retirement.

But that was not the only benefit to emerge from the madness in Munich, where that pair of heavyweight bruisers dragged the old game down with them into the gutter. Wider recognition of the Klitschko brothers as a force for good in boxing was long overdue.

The example set by the giant Ukrainians who hold a family duopoly of all the world heavyweight titles impressed not only the public at large but their fellow fighters. Their refusal to react when Chisora slapped Vitali in the face and then spat water at Wladimir confirmed their status as the right kind of role models.
Eyes on the prize: British heavyweight Tyson Fury is dreaming of beating the Klitschkos one day
Tyson Fury, another British heavyweight who has had to deal with his own psychological issues, has spelled out the impact upon him of the exemplary conduct of the Klitschkos.
'As the bigger men it would have been so easy for them to hit back,' says Fury. 'Yet they showed so much restraint. Their dignity was admirable and they showed the world that the heavyweight champions can also be great gentlemen.'

As an ambassador for the travelling community, Fury hopes to emulate that example: 'I hope I can do the same if I find myself in that kind of situation. I hope I would be able to hold back my anger. If men could behave like that all the time we would live in a much better world.'
Oh brother: Vitali (left) and Wladimir Klitschko (right) are a class apart both in and out of the ring
Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year and promises: 'If it's Wladimir I will give him a much better fight than Haye did. If it's Vitali I will treat him with respect and focus my energy on fighting him in the ring. By then I won't be just in there to make up the numbers like Haye and Chisora,. I'll be able to take either of them out in style.'
That gives him three to four fights to ready himself – starting against Martin Rogan next month in Belfast and on Channel Five - although none of them will be against fellow Brit David Price, who will soon be boxing Sam Sexton for the British and Commonwealth titles which Fury has vacated.

To help him prepare, Fury has taken on a new trainer 'whose name I am keeping secret for the time being but who is one reason why I'm now fit, not fat.'

Fury has been criticised for refusing to face the big-punching Price but says: 'He's still learning. I'm No 5 in one world ranking and he's nowhere. I've had a string of fights all much tougher than any one of his. Let him get his own recognition, not ride on my name.
'If we fight one day in the future for a world title, all well and good. But I will be undefeated before and after that fight. In fact I believe I will eventually retire as the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world, like Rocky Marciano.'

Fury makes that prediction even though his huge frame has been knocked off its feet before but he says: 'I am a proper fighting man so I'm prepared to risk taking punches and we all know that any heavyweight can be put down by a big shot. But I always get up. In fact, my opponents are beginning to realise that the only way to beat Tyson Fury is to nail me to the canvas if they are lucky enough to knock me over.'

The events in Munich, in the midst of which Vitali defeated Chisora despite a shoulder injury which handicapped his jabbing left hand for most of the fight, persuaded a growing number of observers that it is time to recognise the Klitschkos as worthy world champions – Fury included.

He says: 'They're accused of being boring but they are very good at what they do. It's not their fault that for so long there has been no-one out there to give them a real challenge. They have fought and beaten pretty well every contender. But when my time comes they will have a real job on their hands.'

By then the Klitschko admiration society may well have grown to outnumber their critics. And about time, too.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

"Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year" Empty Re: "Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year"

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

Uppercutting himself into hilarity.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

"Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year" Empty Re: "Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year"

Post by hampo17 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

The guy is a complete clown.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

I believe I am now old and grumpy enough to have an irrational dislike of a fighter and I have now decided Fury is going to it, don't rate the guy in the slightest but the more I hear from him the more he annoys me, can dress up not fighting Price how he wants but to take on Rogan instead is shameful and comments like let him get his own recognition, please you're hardly a household name, he talks like he is the reincarnation of Jack Dempsey, he is an ordinary fighter who will lose very soon and the only way he beats a Klitscko next year is if their mother gets a licence.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

I like Fury, but not even in my wildest day dreams would i consider him as a challenge for either of the Klitch Bros. European level at the very best and that is on a slow year

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

He's hardly likely to say "I can't believe I'm still unbeaten, I ran away from Price because I'm a bit rubbish and either Klitschko would pancake me in a round" is he?

He's talking himself up, which all fighters do.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

Fury expects to be ready to challenge one of the Klitschkos next year and promises: 'If it's Wladimir I will give him a much better fight than Haye did. If it's Vitali I will treat him with respect and focus my energy on fighting him in the ring. By then I won't be just in there to make up the numbers like Haye and Chisora,. I'll be able to take either of them out in style.'

Wow, sounds great!

That gives him three to four fights to ready himself – starting against Martin Rogan next month in Belfast and on Channel Five

Oh...

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

To be fair Chris Vitali is in his 40's, Rogan is in his 40's, there is clearly method in the madness.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

rowley wrote:To be fair Chris Vitali is in his 40's, Rogan is in his 40's, there is clearly method in the madness.

Yes, and they also both have heads. The similarities are endless.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

I'll be able to take either of them out in style.'

Something nobody else has done in a very long time.

Fury is a joke

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

God I hope Rogan comes out and pancakes him would be hilarious.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:44 pm

Fury is a punk and a joke, a shameless ducker and an embarassment to the community he claims to come from.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Rogan seriously looks like someone they have dragged out of an old peoples home. I fear for his safety, even against Fury

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

Think Rogan will still be dangerous (For Fury) in the first 3, Rogan will be able to bring the pressure and thats something cant handle, he's never heard of boxing on the back foot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

Rogan also hasn't fought in nearly 2 years.

Whats that about? How is Fury justifying this at all?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

How can you say Fury has a weak chin? He's only been down once, which was more an issue of balance than chin, and he got straight back up again, which is no mean feat given his size.

TF is undeservedly mocked on these pages. I wonder how many of you who are criticising him would last a round in the ring with him?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

Union Cane wrote:How can you say Fury has a weak chin? He's only been down once, which was more an issue of balance than chin, and he got straight back up again, which is no mean feat given his size.

TF is undeservedly mocked on these pages. I wonder how many of you who are criticising him would last a round in the ring with him?

I wouldn't last a round in with Audley Harrison but that won't stop me criticising him.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

Didn't fat Mick say something like "we have a long term deal with channel 5 and David Price is not going to stop the Tyson Fury story"

How can Fury make up other excuses when his promotor has practically admitted Price would win and it would ruin the TV deal.

He will be ready for a World Champion next year, plus he isnt ready for a English Title champion either.

Wish he would just fight him. Fury was going down a good tough route with Chisora and Firtha. But the giving up the British title was a disgrace.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

I arent 6"9 and 250lbs to be fair.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

Union Cane wrote:How can you say Fury has a weak chin? He's only been down once, which was more an issue of balance than chin, and he got straight back up again, which is no mean feat given his size.

Are you a 'traveller', Union? You're always the first to leap to big Tysons defence.

And what has the second part of your post got to do with anything? I am not a michelin starred chef, but I know if my steak is overcooked.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Didn't fat Mick say something like "we have a long term deal with channel 5 and David Price is not going to stop the Tyson Fury story"

How can Fury make up other excuses when his promotor has practically admitted Price would win and it would ruin the TV deal.

He will be ready for a World Champion next year, plus he isnt ready for a English Title champion either.

Wish he would just fight him. Fury was going down a good tough route with Chisora and Firtha. But the giving up the British title was a disgrace.

You're taking that completely out of context Reborn.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:02 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Are you a 'traveller', Union? You're always the first to leap to big Tysons defence.

And what has the second part of your post got to do with anything? I am not a michelin starred chef, but I know if my steak is overcooked.

That was the sort of metaphor I was looking for (but I am a bit slow), well put Tino

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:21 pm

I am certainly not a 'traveller', how very dare you.

I just don't go along with the seemingly fashionable thing of slaughtering Fury. He's big, yes, and says silly things, but he is undefeated and let's not forget that to give up his belts he had to have won them in the first place. And as for the second part of my post, people are not saying that he is boxing's equivalent of Michel Roux Jr, they are saying he is, amongst other things, "a punk and a joke, a shameless ducker and an embarassment to the community he claims to come from.", as if they could do any better.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

Fury, in my eyes, is probably the most idiotic person in boxing history. The guy is a pure joke. He says in his interview that he has had tougher fights and is 5 in the world and that Price is nowhere.

Thats correct........Price smashed John McDermott in about 45 seconds and it took Fury 2 fights to emulate nothing in comparison.

Probably the only real serious thing he has said, and to be fair, its correct.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

Union Cane wrote:

I just don't go along with the seemingly fashionable thing of slaughtering Fury. He's big, yes, and says silly things, but he is undefeated and let's not forget that to give up his belts he had to have won them in the first place. And as for the second part of my post, people are not saying that he is boxing's equivalent of Michel Roux Jr, they are saying he is, amongst other things, "a punk and a joke, a shameless ducker and an embarassment to the community he claims to come from.", as if they could do any better.

Since that's my quote I will respond.

It's all about context. 'As if they could do better', is irrelevant, I am not a trained boxer let alone one proclaiming my greatness whilst ducking my only genuine challenger (though for the money he gets I'd happily jump in the ring for the round I'd probably be lucky to last). I am a surveyor, but I don't spend my day banging on my bosses door demanding equity partnership despite only 5 yrs experience. Nor do I get interviews in the Estates Gazette about how I'll be President of the RICS in 2-3 years.

Punching yourself in the face (twice) = a joke, binning your titles instead of defending them against a live challenger = a shameless ducker, and his community/heritage wouldn't be an issue if he hadn't spent most of his career bleating on about being a proper fighting Irish gypsie that would fight all challengers as that was 'just our way' = an embarassment to the community he claims to come from.

As for his chin, he was legitimately dropped by a nobody with a rubbish ko record having been (from memory) wobbled on previous occassions.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

Usually Union, I find myself agreeing with you but I don't see how you can justify Fury at all.

He's god awful to watch, he's so clumsy and wasteful with his punches, I swear his accuracy is getting worse over time. He hasn't fought anyone bar Chisora with any class at all - and Chisora by his own admission didn't prepare properly and was out of sorts. He had the opportunity to provide Britain with one of the biggest Heavyweight fights out there at the moment outside of the Klitschko's and has refused. I don't believe his promoter is the reason the fight hasn't happened at all. He's seen Price and said "keep him away from me Mick" so Mick has said "Give up your titles then, don't worry I'll get you a World Title shot soon"

He then comes out with crap like this making out Price had no business challenging him in the first place. Sorry - but he was mandatory for your British Title. He had every right to be knocking at your door.

Silly Fury. He's not even that good. Deontay Wilder would rip him apart. Fury is Domestic level at best. Mark my words he'll go no further.

I've also heard he's a bit of a ballbag out of the ring, but that could be hearsay.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Union, I don't think I was unkind to Fury, going as far as saying I actually like him, but I do question his standing in the boxing elite. Still to be proven and I think we will be waiting a long time!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:02 pm

Always come across to me as a decent enough guy and actually does a lot for charity, but talks some serious poo, ducked Price and somehow looks worse in the ring everytime I see him fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

You overlook the fact that he is the undefeated former English, British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion.

Anyway, I understand that people are set in their opinions and that if you don't like him you don't like him, so fair enough.

I just hope you remember this lone voice when Fury eventually retires as the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world, like Rocky Marciano.

thumbsup
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

Union Cane wrote:You overlook the fact that he is the undefeated former English, British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion.

Anyway, I understand that people are set in their opinions and that if you don't like him you don't like him, so fair enough.

I just hope you remember this lone voice when Fury eventually retires as the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world, like Rocky Marciano.

thumbsup

Also rmember when the same lone voice said that Audley Harrison would KO David Haye mate, so I can't take that as the gospel

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

There is that I suppose.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

I liked Fury until after the Chisora fight when his head swelled. Compare that with Price who is still very grounded despite having a very good claim after beating McDermott to be at a similiar or higher level than Fury was at and you'll see why I don't like him.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

Union Cane wrote:

So your definitely not a member of the Committee for United Nomadic Travellers Society, then?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:15 pm

You know full well I aren't, Tino, as you blackballed me.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

Union Cane wrote:

So your definitely not a member of the Committee for United Nomadic Travellers Society, then?

laughing laughing laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down