The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Be_the_ball
number1hacker
pedro
Skydriver
Plunky
Eyetoldyouso
Fader
thedamned3putt
sandy_trap
Diggers
Sand
venice1
GG
mystiroakey
John Cregan
GPB
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
Shotrock
super_realist
hend085
ScottieD18
sirbenson
McLaren
Lairdy
princedracula
kwinigolfer
31 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Mar 2012, 3:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Great to see the 2011 model Luke Donald prove he's lost none of his competitive edge with an exciting Transitions win last week, in circumstances that Ernie Els could only smoulder about. Have to feel sorry for the Big Easy; he gave himself the chance to resurrect his career and came up short. Actually short and right, then pulled left.

2).But that shouldn't detract from Luke's performance, clearly the best under playoff pressure, and now he's off for two weeks' practice before heading down Magnolia Lane with a confidence booster under his belt.

3).The Copperhead Course at Innisbrook Resort is considered by the pros to be the best of the "Florida Swing", but Transitions conclude their sponsorship this year and this Tampa-area stop remains the only PGA Tournament without a sponsor for 2013. The broadcasters last weekend seemed to consider a new sponsorship agreement was imminent, but no such optimism from Timmy Finchem in his news conference yesterday. Fingers crossed that a great event can be saved.

4).Finchem also has to find a sponsor for his secondary circuit, known currently as the Nationwide Tour. To try and build pizzaz and make his minor league effort more attractive to sponsors, he announced anticipated changes yesterday to the FedEx season, the PGA Tour season and the qualifying process.

Some details are posted here by pgatour.com:

http://www.pgatour.com/2012/company/03/20/schedule-nationwide-changes/index.html#

We'll all have different reactions, and some details have still to be worked out, the most ticklish being:
~How to dovetail the top 75 Nationwide players and PGA Tour moneylist #126 to #200 to assure the most deserving are given the best advantage to graduate from the brand new 3 event qualifying series.
and:
~~How to treat existing Fall Series events which now become the first tournaments of the 2013/2014 season. Do they receive full FedEx points? Do the winners receive a Masters invitation?? etc etc. The "Fry's.com" currently at the forefront of that debate.

The party line from the PGA Tour pros is: "In Tim we trust". Snedeker goes somewhat further and reminds us that it took the Tour four years to get the FedEx formula correct. We can't afford to have four goes at this, says Sneds, we have to get this right first time.

But there are sceptics: JB Holmes, who along with such luminaries as Dustin Johnson, Anthony Kim, Rickie Fowler, John Huh, etc reached the Tour first time via Q-School, had this to say:
"So we're going to end the season in September, then basically start it again a week later. We make all these (FedEx Cup six years ago) changes so that the season ends before (American) football starts, now we're back competing against football again.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard, and you can quote me on that." Thanks JB!

5).My feeling is that Finchem is missing a host of great storylines with his Q-School changes but, when the dust has settled, there will be only marginal impacts, primarily to the following:
a).Top international players outside the world's top 50, viz the Brian Davises, Alex Cjekas of this world who won't attract sponsors' invites and will be subjected to a two-year qualifying process. They might as well stay at home. And that's most probably Finchem's thinking, as he closes his shop to all but the most marketable "overseas" players.

b).US Collegiate players who would normally have a direct route to the "show" via Q-School. Unless they attract sponsors' exemptions and reach the top 200 money winners, they have a best case two-year road to get to the Tour.

c).The two-Tour double-dippers, think Oosthuizen, Westwood, Casey, Stenson etc who only play the minimum of 15 events. Currently they would bank on four FedEx tournaments contributing to those 15 with the knowledge that they could add a Fall Series event if necessary. But now, if they don't qualify for East Lake, they're stuck on 13 or 14, in Finchem's handcuffs, so they'll have to add an event or even two.

d).Lastly, Medical Exemptions are going to have to be thought through - no incentive to play through injury, go on the injured list asap.

6).Enough of that fluff, there are more important things in life:
Jarrod Lyle update: "I've finished my first round of chemotherapy, so I'm pretty much lying here in bed waiting to get an infection."
Lyle's sense of humour is irrepressible: "My immune system was pretty bad before I came in to hospital, now I'm a lot worse. It's one of those situations where you've got to get a lot worse before you get better. I'm just taking it day by day now."

7).And so to the Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational at his Bay Hill Club outside Orlando. The winner this week, and next week in Houston, (but not on the European or any other Tours, oh no, no, no, no) will receive a Masters invitation, and so will the owgr top fifty not otherwise qualified as at Monday, March 26th. I'm assuming Paul Lawrie, at #45, is secure, so those who are on the bubble, with an approximation of what they need to do this week, are:
#48: Ben Crane: Playing Bay Hill and likely needs at least a top 18 finish to be sure.
#53: Goosen took the Tavistock money and rushed off for treatment on his ailing back rather than play Bay Hill and try to gain Masters entry. Bizarre and you'd rather think that, given that attitude, his career goose is cooked.
#57: Rock: Playing in Morocco and almost certainly needs to win, second place probably not quite enough.
#60: Chalmers: Playing Bay Hill, likely would qualify with a solo 3rd.
#61: Manassero: Playing Morocco and needs to win! Paying the price exacted by Billy Payne for not being Japanese.
#62: Els: Oh that missed par putt on Copperhead's 18th! Now needs at least a Bay Hill 2nd place - but he won here two years ago!
#64 and #65 Allenby and HowellIII might have a very mathematical chance with a 2nd place finish at Bay Hill, but their final destiny is out of their control given possible fluidity in and out of the top fifty.

8).If it's the Arnie Invitational it must be Sam Saunders on the tee, oh yes, and Robert Damron too. A bunch of others with similarly tenuous qualifications also. Come on Arnie, this is called abuse of power; these guys are not competitive and you've given them more than enough breaks. (Though there are rumours that Sam Saunders will be mailed a Masters invitation should he make this week's cut.)

9).One of the toughest tournaments to pick a winner at this week, Woods obviously with the most "previous" but who knows how fit he is (except possibly Hank Haney)? I like Webb Simpson's chances on lots of levels, but can't recommend anything more than a small e.w. investment on anyone, O'Hair and Jacobson rank outsiders with a touch of form here.

10).Martin Laird "defends" his title, McDowell has played well here and Poulter makes an appearance after his pneumonia and uncompetitive appearance at Doral. I'd imagine Justin Rose is running on fumes and Thomas Bjorn has withdrawn. Greg Owen is back, and can he make up for his mega-collapse a few years ago?
Stranger things have happened, just ask Tim Finchem.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:08 pm

i dunno GPB - he use to be on the euro tour didnt he- or am i thinking of someone else.

rose moved to england at 5- so he is as english as any other english/sffa sportsman lol!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

Pettersson has also taken American citizenship.

And: Doesn't Germany claim McEnroe??!!

mysti, The only thing about Tiger's position is that the leaders have rather separated themselves from the field. The top four are 3 / 4 shots ahead of the rest. 2 x 69's would probably do the trick.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:13 pm

yep someone at 5 under needs to shoot low i feel. got to think that gmac and woods wont do worse than 69 tommorow

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Pettersson doesn't have a bio on the European tour website so I don't think he was ever a member.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

i think its the simple fact that he is swedish and that is who he wants to represent, that choice is his i suppose not anyone elses.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

UFR, Petterson looks like he was a ET member back in 2001 (27 events) and 2002 (29 events). He played 10 events in 2006, perhaps in an attempt to make RC team. Associate Status?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=31153/record/index.html

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

And he even calls himself "The Swedish Redneck"!

Kudos to Sean O'Hair; Took a NINE early in his round today, recovered to bogey his final hole for an even par 72 and, probably, 15th place.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Lol.. However does any remeber boxhall breaking his leg on a swing-Id like to see someone playing on after that!!

I personally almost walked in after 2 holes today- felt mangled, but ventured on !!
Boxall broke his walking down the front of a tee box IIRC; it wasn't actually during a swing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 23 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Kwin - Yes, good to see O'Hair level the ship a bit.

Fine round by Tiger today!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 23 Mar 2012, 11:28 pm

So if Petterson is now a US citizen can he represent at the RC for team USA! Not that he'd make the team right now based on how well others are doing.

Fine round by Tiger quite enjoyed watching it even if we didn't get enough coverage of other players at least it wasn't the usual putt after putt coverage.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Sat 24 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

Sorry Navy, that's wrong. Boxhall broke his leg hitting a one iron - in his own words
"No disrespect to 24-handicappers, but I felt like one. I hit the one-iron again and as I did there was this noise like a sack of potatoes splitting and I screamed and collapsed. "

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

Fader,
I'm not sure whether Pettersson is a member of the PGA of America but, if he is, I'm sure he could represent the US, if he so desired.

Moot point right now, his form is the pits.

But they'll be off shortly at Bay Hill, Colt Knost waddling with all his friends as he embarks on a one-man Tour before the pairs get going at 8.00 a.m.

Warm again, but the wind will pick up asa the day wears on, showers possible alain later today.

Some superb pairings today, should make for wonderful TV.

Can Tiger win at last?
Is it just a four-man race?
Can McDowell keep the GB&I streak going?
Will Woods withdraw?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

Will Garcia take another double digit ?
Can Poulter manage an incredibly rare PGA top 10 ?
I see Gspratt was talking himself up as a future number one after yesterday's round. Clearly thinks its more about being British or Irish than actual talent.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

i think rose, buba, simpson and sergio will have some thing to say about it being a 4 man race.

This is not over yet!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:27 pm

A quick note about things elsewhere:
The Champions Tour start was delayed yesterday, Round 1 completing this morning. Woosie and Forsbrand in the middle of the pack, and Langer struggling, which doesn't happen often.

While a few miles to the West, the Louisiana Primary on the Nationwide Tour has a strong field (probably because Gingrich, Romney and Santorum haven't imposed their racist bile on the place?) partly due to the small Palmer field, and Russell Knox lies 27th after Round 2. Ben Briscoe misses the cut.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

Love to see a win for Rose or Woods.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 24 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

I heart GMac. I'll be rooting for him to win. I thought he looked like he's been working out just a little bit lately -- tummy slightly less rounded than usual.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Plunks,
McDowell almost McIlroy-popular over here, don't you think? And ALL the Irish, North and South, much more popular than the rest of the European golfers!

Not sure I approve of that but still!

Nothing spectacular in the early doings at Bay Hill, Ishikawa with a couple of birds though, and his progress could be significant come Sunday evening.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

Yes they (driven by US media) do love the Irish golfers but as a rule, only if they're major winners. I don't think even GMac was that popular til he won the us open. But then they did a whole show on golf channel called "who is graeme McDowell?" and now he's very popular. I think LW is gradually becoming more popular because he's interviewed more often and people are beginning to appreciate his sense of humor. Maybe US golf fans don't generally like the Europeans but will make an exception if you've won a major ?

Talking of Irish golfers, last time I looked mark Murphy was doing well in the euro tour event. Mark won the most recent Big Break and is looking to be the first bb winner to make the cut in his exemption event!

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:49 pm

They probably like GPrat because of his absurd transatlantic accent. Wonder if Rory will get one of those as well, let's hope not.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

Be nice to see McDowell do the business this weekend whatever he sounds like - very streaky player but he gave a very positive interview yesterday and he, for one, knows how to go head-to-head with Woods and come out on top. Twice really.

Plunky,
Agree about Westwood, especially the print journos, rather more so than the stiff on-air guys.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

I think he hit some great heights for a season. Personally I'd be amazed if he does it again but you never know. My 3 least favourite players in Poulter, GSpud and Garcia all in contention, hopefully moving day is reverse gear for them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

I think I probably have what you might call an absurd transatlantic accent, so GMac still sounds Irish to me !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:25 pm

I'd be perfectly happy with a 1, 2, 3, perm any order, of Diggers' dislikes.

(No transatlantic accent here.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

I doubt Poultry or GPodge have many PGA top 3's between them so the odds are against that scenario if history is anything to go by.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

That's right Digs, likely that Martin Laird has more than the two of them put together.

Very fine round by Mansfield Man Greg Owen. Good stuff.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Well knowing my predicting ability it will probably happen this week.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

pmick is playing well, 3 under through 7- maybe form coming in time for the masters!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

dotty pepper drives me nuts- does she even have a scooby doo!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

poults 2 under through 4. PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 4 479796

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

Pepper certainly is very anti-European, Rolfing also. A good day for the mute button.

Eagle for Poultie.

And more glimmers of form from Henrik Stenson, very happy to see that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:19 pm

Els only two shots off the lead now Springbok

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Chaos at the top! Le Tigre one back and Gmac goes for a drink instead of capitalising on the situation. Wii and Dufff not looking any prettier either...

But here comes Ernieeeeee!!!! Only two behind!
This is some synchronised work between him and Matteo!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:24 pm

Did someone question Ernies chances of winning yesterday?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

Dunno who said that but, if Peter Crouch can score a goal like that, Ernie Els can win the Grand Slam.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

It was me kiwni.

Didn't see much of the footie today, what was Crouch's goal like?

He can sometimes be a bit of a surprise.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

Really want the championship race to go the wire do hoping City don't choke. Mind you Stoke can give anyone a game, as for Crouch.....good feet for a big man.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Even better than Shawcross's own goal.

Come on Ernie!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:32 pm

I actually find it painful watching PGA coverage on Sky, so little golf, so much filler waffle.
I'm struggling to think of a sport that gets such poor coverage, at least in the UK. It's beyond tedious. Now we have to listen to them kiss Palmers butt, wonderful.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

My god, the poor kid. I may have to go and puke.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Mar 2012, 7:49 pm

I have to say I almost puked as well, into the nice Shiraz I am drinking.

Kwini

How do you cope living in amercia, the lack of cynicism is just too much to bear? I would have to troll RIP sites just to survive.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

Tiger playing well - great to see.

GMAC also very strong, would not at all be surprised to see these two dueling it out tomorrow afternoon, but lots to play still.

Enuf with the "King" adoration!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm

I love the way Ernie's playing, makes up for some of the vomit inducing stuff we know we're going to get and, let's face it, the Networks are so consistent in providing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:33 pm

Much more pleasant Sands / Els interview; don't think anyone explained to Johnny Miller how Masters qualification works - perhaps he thought Els was somehow an Asian.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 24 Mar 2012, 8:41 pm

I noticed that as well kwini, a couple of times the commentators have mentioned els and an invitation as if els might get one.

I am not convinced els troubles are totally down to his putting. I thought his swing looked a little odd and last night on sky the highlighted how he was cupping his wrist and having to save the shot as he was no longer on plane.

I some ways I hope els does not have to battle tiger as that could really mess with els head again.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:04 pm

lol we might end up with a tiger poults final group!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:18 pm

has woods just gone on OB Shocked,(shot tracker telling me) must turn the golf back on after being forced into britans got talent!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

wow at this rate, poults and ells could be leading!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:41 pm

Would love to see gmac and tiger together tomorrow...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

Didn't think it was very sporting for super_realist to yell in the middle of Tiger's backswing on #15.

Poulter and McDowell have both played really well today, too bad about Sergio or Diggers would have been p'd off for life.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next