The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
Be_the_ball
number1hacker
pedro
Skydriver
Plunky
Eyetoldyouso
Fader
thedamned3putt
sandy_trap
Diggers
Sand
venice1
GG
mystiroakey
John Cregan
GPB
NedB-H
navyblueshorts
Shotrock
super_realist
hend085
ScottieD18
sirbenson
McLaren
Lairdy
princedracula
kwinigolfer
31 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 7 Empty PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Great to see the 2011 model Luke Donald prove he's lost none of his competitive edge with an exciting Transitions win last week, in circumstances that Ernie Els could only smoulder about. Have to feel sorry for the Big Easy; he gave himself the chance to resurrect his career and came up short. Actually short and right, then pulled left.

2).But that shouldn't detract from Luke's performance, clearly the best under playoff pressure, and now he's off for two weeks' practice before heading down Magnolia Lane with a confidence booster under his belt.

3).The Copperhead Course at Innisbrook Resort is considered by the pros to be the best of the "Florida Swing", but Transitions conclude their sponsorship this year and this Tampa-area stop remains the only PGA Tournament without a sponsor for 2013. The broadcasters last weekend seemed to consider a new sponsorship agreement was imminent, but no such optimism from Timmy Finchem in his news conference yesterday. Fingers crossed that a great event can be saved.

4).Finchem also has to find a sponsor for his secondary circuit, known currently as the Nationwide Tour. To try and build pizzaz and make his minor league effort more attractive to sponsors, he announced anticipated changes yesterday to the FedEx season, the PGA Tour season and the qualifying process.

Some details are posted here by pgatour.com:

http://www.pgatour.com/2012/company/03/20/schedule-nationwide-changes/index.html#

We'll all have different reactions, and some details have still to be worked out, the most ticklish being:
~How to dovetail the top 75 Nationwide players and PGA Tour moneylist #126 to #200 to assure the most deserving are given the best advantage to graduate from the brand new 3 event qualifying series.
and:
~~How to treat existing Fall Series events which now become the first tournaments of the 2013/2014 season. Do they receive full FedEx points? Do the winners receive a Masters invitation?? etc etc. The "Fry's.com" currently at the forefront of that debate.

The party line from the PGA Tour pros is: "In Tim we trust". Snedeker goes somewhat further and reminds us that it took the Tour four years to get the FedEx formula correct. We can't afford to have four goes at this, says Sneds, we have to get this right first time.

But there are sceptics: JB Holmes, who along with such luminaries as Dustin Johnson, Anthony Kim, Rickie Fowler, John Huh, etc reached the Tour first time via Q-School, had this to say:
"So we're going to end the season in September, then basically start it again a week later. We make all these (FedEx Cup six years ago) changes so that the season ends before (American) football starts, now we're back competing against football again.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard, and you can quote me on that." Thanks JB!

5).My feeling is that Finchem is missing a host of great storylines with his Q-School changes but, when the dust has settled, there will be only marginal impacts, primarily to the following:
a).Top international players outside the world's top 50, viz the Brian Davises, Alex Cjekas of this world who won't attract sponsors' invites and will be subjected to a two-year qualifying process. They might as well stay at home. And that's most probably Finchem's thinking, as he closes his shop to all but the most marketable "overseas" players.

b).US Collegiate players who would normally have a direct route to the "show" via Q-School. Unless they attract sponsors' exemptions and reach the top 200 money winners, they have a best case two-year road to get to the Tour.

c).The two-Tour double-dippers, think Oosthuizen, Westwood, Casey, Stenson etc who only play the minimum of 15 events. Currently they would bank on four FedEx tournaments contributing to those 15 with the knowledge that they could add a Fall Series event if necessary. But now, if they don't qualify for East Lake, they're stuck on 13 or 14, in Finchem's handcuffs, so they'll have to add an event or even two.

d).Lastly, Medical Exemptions are going to have to be thought through - no incentive to play through injury, go on the injured list asap.

6).Enough of that fluff, there are more important things in life:
Jarrod Lyle update: "I've finished my first round of chemotherapy, so I'm pretty much lying here in bed waiting to get an infection."
Lyle's sense of humour is irrepressible: "My immune system was pretty bad before I came in to hospital, now I'm a lot worse. It's one of those situations where you've got to get a lot worse before you get better. I'm just taking it day by day now."

7).And so to the Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational at his Bay Hill Club outside Orlando. The winner this week, and next week in Houston, (but not on the European or any other Tours, oh no, no, no, no) will receive a Masters invitation, and so will the owgr top fifty not otherwise qualified as at Monday, March 26th. I'm assuming Paul Lawrie, at #45, is secure, so those who are on the bubble, with an approximation of what they need to do this week, are:
#48: Ben Crane: Playing Bay Hill and likely needs at least a top 18 finish to be sure.
#53: Goosen took the Tavistock money and rushed off for treatment on his ailing back rather than play Bay Hill and try to gain Masters entry. Bizarre and you'd rather think that, given that attitude, his career goose is cooked.
#57: Rock: Playing in Morocco and almost certainly needs to win, second place probably not quite enough.
#60: Chalmers: Playing Bay Hill, likely would qualify with a solo 3rd.
#61: Manassero: Playing Morocco and needs to win! Paying the price exacted by Billy Payne for not being Japanese.
#62: Els: Oh that missed par putt on Copperhead's 18th! Now needs at least a Bay Hill 2nd place - but he won here two years ago!
#64 and #65 Allenby and HowellIII might have a very mathematical chance with a 2nd place finish at Bay Hill, but their final destiny is out of their control given possible fluidity in and out of the top fifty.

8).If it's the Arnie Invitational it must be Sam Saunders on the tee, oh yes, and Robert Damron too. A bunch of others with similarly tenuous qualifications also. Come on Arnie, this is called abuse of power; these guys are not competitive and you've given them more than enough breaks. (Though there are rumours that Sam Saunders will be mailed a Masters invitation should he make this week's cut.)

9).One of the toughest tournaments to pick a winner at this week, Woods obviously with the most "previous" but who knows how fit he is (except possibly Hank Haney)? I like Webb Simpson's chances on lots of levels, but can't recommend anything more than a small e.w. investment on anyone, O'Hair and Jacobson rank outsiders with a touch of form here.

10).Martin Laird "defends" his title, McDowell has played well here and Poulter makes an appearance after his pneumonia and uncompetitive appearance at Doral. I'd imagine Justin Rose is running on fumes and Thomas Bjorn has withdrawn. Greg Owen is back, and can he make up for his mega-collapse a few years ago?
Stranger things have happened, just ask Tim Finchem.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by monty junior Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:58 am

The Bay Hill is one of the biggest events on the PGA tour, Tiger dominated it from round two and won by 5 in extremely tough conditions. Can't ask for much more than that, he's been woeful going in to the last two masters yet finished fourth twice. With some confidence going in and his swing in great shape, i say Tiger takes the Masters.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Arnold Palmer invites-who-the-hell-he-likes Invitational: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Diggers Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:01 am

Kinda figured it was material as they happen to be playing the events on the PGA tour. If you think that Westwood being there yesterday was likely to make any difference to who won then fine but I cant see much evidence to back that claim up. Donald will still only win maybe once in every 6 or 7 times he tees it up at best, maybe Rory will be another Tiger but at the moment he wins less than he loses by far.
So of course they would strengthen the field but its far from a given it would have changed the result.
But ultimately its immaterial and Im certainly not going to waste anymore time having another futile argument with you.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamned3putt Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:43 am

Yesterday's win clearly meant a huge amount to Woods. Did you see his expression as he bent over his penultimate putt and remembered what it felt like to win. Some will call it a smug smirk, I'd say it was the look of someone who knows what they're capable of but for some/many reasons hasn't been able to achieve it; then coming to the joyous realisation that they've finally done it.

i'll admit that I felt he perhaps could continue to fail to cross the line but he's done it and if anyone can harness the power that that mental switch makes, he can. A few years back, he went something like 10 comps in a row, winning every single one. He didn't play every week, picking and choosing when to play but when he did, he won. Is he back to that? No one can say but to write this win off as a single hit is foolishly glib.

He played the field he faced. I'd guess that winning a ranking event is what he's been after as the catalyst he personally needed, regardless of whether the top 5 were there or not. He'll appreciate that with the current top players in a field it'll be a tougher challenge but I don't think he going to be one to balk at that challenge!

thedamned3putt

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:52 am

Diggers wrote:Kinda figured it was material as they happen to be playing the events on the PGA tour. If you think that Westwood being there yesterday was likely to make any difference to who won then fine but I cant see much evidence to back that claim up. Donald will still only win maybe once in every 6 or 7 times he tees it up at best, maybe Rory will be another Tiger but at the moment he wins less than he loses by far.
So of course they would strengthen the field but its far from a given it would have changed the result.
But ultimately its immaterial and Im certainly not going to waste anymore time having another futile argument with you.

Diggers my point wa sthat woods dominated the field(5 shots is a big win) - if the top 5 were there i would bet that he wouldnt have won by that amount - not talking about changing the result- more the winning margin.

Its as if you are trying to miss the point on purpose and then using immaterial stats to back up an argumnent that shouldnt exisit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:54 am

monty junior wrote:The Bay Hill is one of the biggest events on the PGA tour, Tiger dominated it from round two and won by 5 in extremely tough conditions. Can't ask for much more than that, he's been woeful going in to the last two masters yet finished fourth twice. With some confidence going in and his swing in great shape, i say Tiger takes the Masters.

One of the biggest events? None of the top 6 of last week chose to play it. Not sure how you say Tiger takes the masters just because he won yesterday. He was impressive no doubt about it but McIroy and Donald have won on their last start too.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:57 am

Good summary 3putt, he never looked like losing after Friday's 65 - a couple of very dodgy swings yesterday on 14 and 15 but then he seemed to know the job was done, relaxed and won convincingly.

And no-one has a better record of "picking and choosing" his events; he knows he only has a few chances each season and this little run of Doral, Bay Hill and The Masters must have been his low hanging fruit until he gets to Memorial.

Woods has done a huge favour for any punters wishing to make their Masters investments elsewhere. I see Paddy Power has him at slightly longer odds than I would have expected, but his morning prices offer lots of value!
7/2 Woods
9/2 Rory
11/1 Phil
14/1 Donald
18/1 Westwood
28/1 Rose
28/1 Schwartzel
33/1 Scott

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:58 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Good summary 3putt, he never looked like losing after Friday's 65 - a couple of very dodgy swings yesterday on 14 and 15 but then he seemed to know the job was done, relaxed and won convincingly.

And no-one has a better record of "picking and choosing" his events; he knows he only has a few chances each season and this little run of Doral, Bay Hill and The Masters must have been his low hanging fruit until he gets to Memorial.

Woods has done a huge favour for any punters wishing to make their Masters investments elsewhere. I see Paddy Power has him at slightly longer odds than I would have expected, but his morning prices offer lots of value!
7/2 Woods
9/2 Rory
11/1 Phil
14/1 Donald
18/1 Westwood
28/1 Rose
28/1 Schwartzel
33/1 Scott

Thats what i am talking about- everyone has gone up by about 10% on betfair.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:11 am

Id be amazed if Woods didnt finish top 5 and probably top 3 at the Masters considering how he has scrapped to good finishes there with poor form in the past two years, doubt you will get much for him each way though.As they were saying last night Woods has got some Augusta practice in early so is going to be very well prepared.
I think the right two players are the favourites though not by the margins over Donald that are shown.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:15 am

Well id say that donald is third favourite- criminally low odds on pmick!! i understand he is mr masters at present- but i will be v surprised if he is better than top 20 based on form!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:21 am

Donald should be third favourite but I fancy Mickleson to be up there. His form this year is streaky but he won last month and had a 2nd as well so his 2011 is far from awful on courses he likes and he likes Augusta and I think he knows its his best shot at a major this year.
Donald and Westwood will never be really short odds at majors until they manage to win one.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:26 am

yep -However donald this time is possibly the lowest odds englishman since i suppose faldo! But still higher than his actual form and quality suggests-due to the fact there is question mark over 'english' players winning major abilities!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:32 am

Funnily enough in terms of OWGR points for 2012 Phil and Luke are almost exactly the same, Phil a tiny fraction ahead. Its quite a tough one to call really as they are so different with different qualities and history, Id love to think Donald would be the better bet but if I had to put my life on it, just for the Masters, not for the other majors, I think Id end up backing Mickleson.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:34 am

Good to see Tiger officially back. He made some real big blunders in his personnel life but he has paid the price. He's not the first rich / famous guy to "play away", he just did it on an industrial scale. Time to give the guy a break and just enjoy Tiger playing golf.

Rory, Luke and Tiger winning their last pga event going into the Masters. Wouldn't it be great if Lee Westwood can win this week then all of the big four (simply based on the top 3 from the Rankings and Tiger) for the Masters on winning runs.

Does anyone know if Haney's book comes out this week in the UK. We are off to Spain on Thursday for 4 days at La Manga so a good chance to read the book. I'll feel a bit guilty reading it as I feel Haney is in the wrong, but I've been watching Tiger since the beginning and can't help being interested in getting a glimpse behind the scenes.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:36 am

luke hasnt played as much though has he(4 events to 7- donald averaging 160 fed ex pts an event to pmicks 125) also ,since the season really started(and that is the first wgc) pmick hasnt featured that much at all!

Micklesons odds are based on his record at the masters over his form. which is fair enough- I would back donald to get a better result than pmick all day- however put a gun to my head and tell me who would win then its a different question and id give a v ery different answer!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:43 am

Mickelson's odds are based on the same thing as Woods being favourite... the fact that the majors attract tonnes of casual punters who go for the established big names, and to a non-golf fan, Phil is more well-known than Luke. In this sort of high profile tournament in particular, bookies' odds aren't a reflection of who's likely to win, just a reflection of where all the bets are going.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:44 am

No thats true enough. I think his game has certainly shown enough for me to believe he can contend at Augusta but hey, thats what is going to make it interesting. Hopefully Donald has figured out Augusta and will be right up there.
For me, this how Id probably rank the people Id like to see win it, not who I think will just my preferences -
1.Donald
2.Woods
3.Rose
4.Mickleson
5.Stricker
6.McIlroy
7.Westwood

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:48 am

Diggers wrote:No thats true enough. I think his game has certainly shown enough for me to believe he can contend at Augusta but hey, thats what is going to make it interesting. Hopefully Donald has figured out Augusta and will be right up there.
For me, this how Id probably rank the people Id like to see win it, not who I think will just my preferences -
1.Donald
2.Woods
3.Rose
4.Mickleson
5.Stricker
6.McIlroy
7.Westwood

i admit to being quite patriotic- not allways the case when it comes to golf but at present due to the lack of english major winners Sad..

1.westy- only pipps donald because i feel as though donald has a longer shelf life - therefore more chances later
2. donald
3. rose
4. casey
5. poults

you see a trend emerging lol!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:00 am

looking at the fed ex list again- its quite interesting reading.

the top 4 interms of average points an event

rory averages 305 an event !!
stricker 169.75(surprised!!)
woods 169.25
then donald 159.25

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:07 am

looking at form- stricker looks like a great bet at 75pts on betfair(thats 74/1 - 5% so about 70/1)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:08 am

I think it's quite easy for those of us who are English to let ourselves be carried away a bit - there are reasons to be optimistic about a number of our players:

* Donald has won at Augusta... just the par 3 tournament though! [with that jinx being the reason why he didn't win the main event?] Besides which, his last memory from playing there should be that fist-pump inducing chip-in. With that and #1 ranking, he should feel happy and confident.
* Westwood was runner-up a couple of seasons ago; still has one of the best long games out there, and his putting is on the up given new coach.
* Rose has played some good rounds there and led the tournament after day 1 on several occasions, and has obviously just won a WGC.
* Poulter is showing signs of form, and I recall he also should have some good memories of Augusta (I think he co-led with Lee at the halfway stage a couple of years ago?).

I'd like to add Casey, but don't see him doing much given recent injury. Still, he's possibly the joker in the pack - with his long, high draw off the tee, quite a few people have backed him in the past.

Anyway, let's see what happens and enjoy the event regardless.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:11 am

Casey has a brilliant first 36 record at augusta- he has a game that suits the course, not sure if he has the form mind, and the biggest problem when it comes to 'average golfers' winning a major this time a round is that many of the top boys are in such good form!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:32 am

Masters looking pretty interesting now I have to say. Most impressive for me was Woods' 70 in the last round in, what were obviously, tough conditions. Wonder what those know-it-alls who were questioning Foley's role with TW are saying now? Laugh

ScottieD18 wrote:Good to see Tiger officially back. He made some real big blunders in his personnel life but he has paid the price. He's not the first rich / famous guy to "play away", he just did it on an industrial scale. Time to give the guy a break and just enjoy Tiger playing golf...
I want to give him a break. It wasn't the scandal for me (that just made it a bit worse) but his attitude on the course/in interview.

Anyway, Masters can't get here quick enough for me.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:36 am

I am like a kid waiting for christmas day in the build up to the masters- my all time fav event!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

Mysti - The rankings are absolutely not the perfect gauge on form. Remember in 2010, when Tiger was injured (mentally and physically some might accurately state). Did you really think he was the best golfer in the world, although he was #1 for most of that year?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

Shotrock wrote:Mysti - The rankings are absolutely not the perfect gauge on form. Remember in 2010, when Tiger was injured (mentally and physically some might accurately state). Did you really think he was the best golfer in the world, although he was #1 for most of that year?

never said there were- but a million times better than a carrer record on one tour, and at present very relevant- the anolomoly was due to woods being so good for so long- not something likly to happen for a long time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:58 am

Paddy Power has a completely different take on Open Championship prices:
11/2 Tiger
15/2 Rors
14/1 Donald
14/1 Westwood
20/1 Garcia
22/1 Kaymer
25/1 Phil
40/1 Bar 7 with Tiger killer Robert Rock a nice price at 125/1.

Nothing posted yet for Olympic Club

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 8:59 am

well actually tell a lie - kaymer is certainly not as good on form as his ranking, however we all know that dont we- we gauge the best ourselves,however much of the rankings is pretty close to reality

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:01 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Paddy Power has a completely different take on Open Championship prices:
11/2 Tiger
15/2 Rors
14/1 Donald
14/1 Westwood
20/1 Garcia
22/1 Kaymer
25/1 Phil
40/1 Bar 7 with Tiger killer Robert Rock a nice price at 125/1.

Nothing posted yet for Olympic Club

pmick 25/1

omg !!!!

betfair has everyone else higher- yet have mick at half his odds!!!

garcia is also criminally low on that as well!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:02 am

wait a minute i can lay pmick of at betfair at 14/1 and back him on paddy at 25!!!!!!!!

work that out - a killing waiting to be made without a ball being hit.

edit- i just checked he is 11/1- darnnnnn Sad- where did you get them odds from kwini- do you have different ones in the states on paddy power!!- how do i get to bet on these international markets- the money to be made!! must find a way!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:15 am

mysti,
I just took them from the on-line site.

Unfortunately betting is illegal in this sporting backwater! Sometimes get bets placed over there though, lots of good value, especially at the Majors.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:23 am

blimey i need a mate in america that can bet for me..

need alot of capital but if you layed 10k at 14/1 thats a libility of 140k

back 6k at 25/1 you win 150k liability of 6.

thats 4k if he losses - 10k if he wins!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

Er mysti don't get your money out yet, Kwini is talking about Open Championship prices you I believe are talking about the Masters.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:29 am

oh lol doh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

Strange that nothing's been reported yet this morning on Arnie's (that's Mr.Palmer's to you) condition.

Considering the pre-eminence of Orlando's health care system, it may be a touch disquieting that nary a medical bulletin has been published. You'd've thought he'd be out for 18 holes by now.

Get well soon, Arnie; Billy Payne needs you to hit a tee shot next Thursday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

Told you he was a coffin dodger.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:51 am

can robert rock get an invite if arnie doesnt have to hit a tee shot?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

Apparently Arnold Palmer has been discharged from hospital and is recuperating at home.
Good. Pleased to hear he's doing well.

Now Arnie, you can rest up and read some stats on European health care.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:03 pm

mystiroakey wrote:blimey i need a mate in america that can bet for me..

Don;t the bookies charge a lot of VIG to lay the odds. Just because get 14/1 that he wins, does not mean you can lay those odds on him losing.

I would guess the lay odds on 14/1 is more like 1/20. Still can win some cash, but a lot of capital outlay.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

GPB wrote:

Don;t the bookies charge a lot of VIG to lay the odds. Just because get 14/1 that he wins, does not mean you can lay those odds on him losing.

I would guess the lay odds on 14/1 is more like 1/20. Still can win some cash, but a lot of capital outlay.

no gpb the lay price is 14/1 the back price is 11/1

however in play you would normally be able to lay at half a point over the back price if the market is busy!

obviously this is a theoritical discussion now, however i do it every week. i backed and layed donald about 25 times last year and made a killing(when he got to around 2/1 or lower)- obviously would have made more on the few he actually won by not laying- but overall i won every time!! check out betfair if your into backing and laying.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
GPB wrote:

no gpb the lay price is 14/1 the back price is 11/1

however in play you would normally be able to lay at half a point over the back price if the market is busy!

obviously this is a theoritical discussion now, however i do it every week. i backed and layed donald about 25 times last year and made a killing(when he got to around 2/1 or lower)- obviously would have made more on the few he actually won by not laying- but overall i won every time!! check out betfair if your into backing and laying.

OK very interesting, but I think the 11/1 odds on PMick is for the Masters, not the Open Championship

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

yeah i know that lol.. i read kwini wrong - we discussed the masters betting then he stuck odds for the open after- i assumed it was yanky odds on the masters- thats why i posted what i did

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:34 pm

mystiroakey:

Re Luke Donald and Placing Bets and Laying Bets:

If I am reading your post correctly:

I guess what you were doing with Luke Donald was placing a bet that he would win a tournament, at 20/1.

Once he worked himself into contention, the his odds to win would lower and in essence you would sell the bet back by make a Lay bet against him winning at 15/1.

that is a pretty good strategy if you got a guy that gets himself into contention frequently but can't seem to seal the deal.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by neutral07 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Masters looking pretty interesting now I have to say. Most impressive for me was Woods' 70 in the last round in, what were obviously, tough conditions. Wonder what those know-it-alls who were questioning Foley's role with TW are saying now? Laugh

ScottieD18 wrote:Good to see Tiger officially back. He made some real big blunders in his personnel life but he has paid the price. He's not the first rich / famous guy to "play away", he just did it on an industrial scale. Time to give the guy a break and just enjoy Tiger playing golf...
I want to give him a break. It wasn't the scandal for me (that just made it a bit worse) but his attitude on the course/in interview.

Anyway, Masters can't get here quick enough for me.

Watching greatness on the course over interviews all the day. Also other players aren't saints on the course every-time either hence why it is a waste of time whenever the focus is not on the actual golf itself.

On a general point, the pin placements at the API were brutal, if players were slightly out of positions or didn't have correct speed in your putts. they were punished. Good to see Palmer not serving easy pins for the players, it brings strategy into the skills that were needed last Sunday. As for Woods, i think once he is able to focus on distance control for his scoring clubs [PW & SW] and his short game, that is when we will be able to gauge how good is career will be post 2009 problems. Still a working in progress.

neutral07

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 Mar 2012, 10:20 am

Hi neutral,
Welcome to the Ballwasher,

Don't you think TW did all his hard work on Friday with his 65?
By Friday night, he'd stretched the field such that, as noted at the time, "2 x 69"s would probably do the trick", and they did, well a 71 and a 70.

Actually feel as if the hidden pin positions on Sunday, especially with the different wind direction, helped Tiger - he knew that a steady diet of pars would be more than good enough. No sign of anyone playing especially aggressively except McDowell, most within shouting distance of Tiger protecting their own position rather than going for it; Poulter's "happy to come through this week finished third" rather summing things up.

And that has always been Tiger's genius; put yourself in position after two days and force guys to be aggressive, usually too aggressive for their comfort zone.

The Masters is going to be very, very interesting, as you suggest, a real test for his "scoring clubs".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by neutral07 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:59 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Hi neutral,
Welcome to the Ballwasher,

Don't you think TW did all his hard work on Friday with his 65?
By Friday night, he'd stretched the field such that, as noted at the time, "2 x 69"s would probably do the trick", and they did, well a 71 and a 70.

Actually feel as if the hidden pin positions on Sunday, especially with the different wind direction, helped Tiger - he knew that a steady diet of pars would be more than good enough. No sign of anyone playing especially aggressively except McDowell, most within shouting distance of Tiger protecting their own position rather than going for it; Poulter's "happy to come through this week finished third" rather summing things up.

And that has always been Tiger's genius; put yourself in position after two days and force guys to be aggressive, usually too aggressive for their comfort zone.

The Masters is going to be very, very interesting, as you suggest, a real test for his "scoring clubs".

Of course it is always better to be ahead than to be behind because you have more margin for error if you need it however as tough as those pins were, it was possible to score if players played near flawless rounds with their driver, irons, scrambling and putting. Like i implied before, i don't like gifted birdies that are down to none testing pins.

neutral07

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

tiger seemed quite nervous in regards to distance control- i think it could still cause the odd problem to come. He stepped back a few times on the shot , not completly trusting his game. He got very lucky on the pitch into one hole. Golf is allways about riding your luck though, gmac also got very lucky on the par 5 over water, so it swings in roundabouts- Tiger dominated that field overall-it was close to being a brutal tigeresque win.. but as i have pointed out earlier he isnt gonna be as dominant up against the top 5(well more like the top 3) who seem to trust there scoring irons in a way that tiger isnt at present!

That area of doubt could creep in when it really matters.

however donald and westy could aso be come over with doubt(due to being tagged best to not win majors)

and rory could as well after last years blow up!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7