The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal

+15
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
HERSH
gowales
Cardiff Dave
maestegmafia
doctor_grey
GavinDragon
jimlewtheblue
ScarletSpiderman
LondonTiger
XR
Smirnoffpriest
Shifty
19 posters

Go down

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal Empty Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17526901

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert has revealed he has negotiated with French clubs while he waits for the right contract deal from Cardiff Blues.
Cuthbert, who scored the Grand Slam-winning try for Wales against France, has been on a development contract with the Blues this season.
And he says he is frustrated by waiting for the Blues' offer.
"It's been a while sorting this contract and obviously I have had to look elsewhere," said the 21-year-old.
"It has been a bit tiresome over the last few months. I tried to get it out of my head over the Six Nations and I was hoping it would be sorted just after the Six Nations.
"It's been carried [on] this long which is a bit frustrating. I am trying to be patient as much as I can but it is coming to the end of the season and I'm not with a club at the moment.
Continue reading the main story

My agent has been in negotiations with a few French teams at the moment. Just other options because it is getting close to the end of the season

Alex Cuthbert
"Blues would be my first choice obviously and I'm just looking forward to the future, and hopefully I will know where I'm playing next season.
"My agent has been in negotiations with a few French teams at the moment. Just other options because it is getting close to the end of the season.
"The Blues [have had] the whole season to offer me a contract so other negotiations elsewhere have been helping that.
"Hopefully [this will be sorted] in the next few weeks. Hopefully the Blues can up with this competitive offer and we can sort this out.
"I'm hoping they can offer me a competitive offer where I'm happy.
"It didn't seem the right offer now. I wasn't happy with it. I do want to play at the Blues and hopefully we can get this sorted."
The Blues said on Tuesday they are confident Cuthbert will sign a new contract with the region in the next few weeks.
"We want to keep him with Cardiff Blues. He wants to stay with Cardiff Blues," confirmed Blues forwards coach Justin Burnell.
"We did offer Alex a contract in September and then Alex was then very fortunate to go into the autumn internationals and different people were advising him and telling to hold off.
"We sat down with Alex last week and we are in the process of putting a package together to keep him with Cardiff Blues. The most important thing is that Alex wants to stay at Cardiff Blues.
"I'd like to say [he will be at the Blues next year]. It certainly won't be through the lack of trying.
"We offered Alex Cuthbert a contract back in September/October. But as you can imagine it has snowballed [for him with Wales]."
The confidence on keeping Cuthbert comes on the back of the region dismissing fears that his fellow Wales players Leigh Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts will leave the Cardiff Blues this summer.
Gethin Jenkins has already confirmed he will join the Welsh exodus to France as the British and Irish Lions prop will join Top 14 side Toulon next season.
Back Halfpenny and Lions centre Roberts are contracted until the summer of 2013 and Baber hopes they stay long-term.
"They will be Blues players next season," insisted backs coach Gareth Baber.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal Empty Re: Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal

Post by Shifty Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:53 pm

Looks bad for the blues and worse for Cuthbert if he goes to France at such a young age.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal Empty Re: Wales wing Alex Cuthbert is 'frustrated' by Cardiff Blues deal

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

And bad for Wales to loose a promising player so young - though reading between the lines it could be Cuthbert playing Blues off against 'potential French offers' to get a better deal.

It's not good that it's taken this long but I doubt the Blues could have seen his rise when they offered him a deal in Sept.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

Problem is, he can say the blues have had the whole season but the people in charge couldn't have expected him to have such a massive impact this season. The six nations only finished 2 weeks ago and with the wage cap and needed budget reconfiguration, throwing in his impact this year...it will take a while to negotiate how mjuch we can offer and how much he wants.

I hope he doesn't go to france, he still has a bit to learn (as shown against the scarlets) so going to france now may not be the right option. But then again, considering how our region is run, it may well be the right option.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Surely any vaguely sensible offer would keep him in Cardiff? It looks like the only offer Blues have made was back in September. That offer would have been rather small you would think, but without any further offer that is teh starting point for their negotiations.

While the money that Cuthbert will have been paid this year by the WRU in appearances and bonuses will mean he has been well remunerated - he cannot assume that

a) he will continue to be selected for Wales
b) Wales will always win teh gS and pay large bonuses

Equally he will lose the £14k WRU 7s salary. So atm the only guaranteed salary he has for next year is his current development contract of £5k.

No surprise he is negotiating elsewhere just in case.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

What I don't quite get is why the Blues didn't throw a contract under his nose after his first two or three games. Then they coulld have got a 2-3 year deal with him for what would be penuts compared to what they are going to have to look to shell out now.

I can understand why he is looking elsewhere. And I have said htat players will always do this just to have they're backsides covered with a back up plan, and also to have a bartering chip to try and squeeze and extra few quid, and also to make them seem even more loyal to the fans when they do eventually sign up to stay put.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimlewtheblue Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

They did offer him a contract back in Septemeber, Scarlet. Smile

jimlewtheblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

Seems to me like the Blues are still organising their budget and deciding how much money they can offer their players - and also deciding how much more money Cuthbert will need following his rise through the Welsh. Once that's decided I'm sure in the next week or 2 they'll offer him a good deal. And Cuthberts just strenghening his bargaining position and putting the ball in the Blues court

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:54 pm

jimlewtheblue wrote:They did offer him a contract back in Septemeber, Scarlet. Smile

Yeah I heard tha, but why didn't they push it through? Surely they could have had it done and dusted prior to the Welsh Squad call up for the AIs.

Smirnoff - yeah odds are Cuthbert won't be going anywhere, its most likely just posturing, and agent talk trying to get the best possible deal (like Foxy to Northampton talk just before he re-signed).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 01 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

rumours are he was offered 50k after the 6n

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

If he is unhappy playing in Cardiff, I know a nice, family friendly club in Northampronshire which almost always plays in front of a full house and would love to have another up and coming wing to groom.

Don't thank me. No, really don't. It's my pleasure.............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:14 pm

doctor_grey wrote:If he is unhappy playing in Cardiff, I know a nice, family friendly club in Northampronshire which almost always plays in front of a full house and would love to have another up and coming wing to groom.

I think it would be better for him in France as the PRL don't let foreign players take international leave unless your national union bribe them to do so.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

"Cardiff Blues wing Alex Cuthbert is confident of reaching an agreement with the region over a new contract which will allow him to stay in Welsh rugby."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_7636697,00.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm

Not a great loss if he did go.
Up front is where Cardiff Blues are weakest. A quality TH is what we desperately need.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:27 am

maestegmafia wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:If he is unhappy playing in Cardiff, I know a nice, family friendly club in Northampronshire which almost always plays in front of a full house and would love to have another up and coming wing to groom.

I think it would be better for him in France as the PRL don't let foreign players take international leave unless your national union bribe them to do so.
I'd agree it might be good for him in France, but you can't blame me for mentioning it. I think he would look good wearing green. After all, we do need another wing. And we are a very friendly group.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:17 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:Not a great loss if he did go.
Up front is where Cardiff Blues are weakest. A quality TH is what we desperately need.

I think so too. As great a player as Cuthbert is, they shouldn't break the bank to keep him. He won't be getting much ball next year with the pack you'll have anyway! You guys definitely need some quality props, as well as a lock and a 8.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:28 am

maestegmafia wrote:I think it would be better for him in France as the PRL don't let foreign players take international leave unless your national union bribe them to do so.

Tut, tut. You know very well that PRL release players for all mandated international periods. They do not release players for the periods outside the official calendar, periods for which (in your words) the WRU bribe the regions to gain release.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I think it would be better for him in France as the PRL don't let foreign players take international leave unless your national union bribe them to do so.

Tut, tut. You know very well that PRL release players for all mandated international periods. They do not release players for the periods outside the official calendar, periods for which (in your words) the WRU bribe the regions to gain release.

You're right Tiger, and I think Maesteg was bieng a bit mischievous, but he has a point too. England stick rigidly to the international window, and who can blame them. But the fact is that French clubs are happy to let Welsh players go a week or two early outside of the required window for some reason. That is better for Wales. I think that's all that Maesteg is getting at. (Phillips and Hook, for example, were allowed to go to the Poland training camp a week earlier than the IRB window stipulated as their clubs were happy with it).

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:03 pm

I believe that’s called Libel.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

HERSH wrote:

Maes, saying Rugby Unions bribe clubs might not be the wisest thing to say, especially without proof.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:16 pm

HERSH wrote:

Possibly "bribe" is a bit harsh. However it is true that PRL will not allow their member clubs to release players outside the IRB international windows unless the union requesting such leave comes to an agreement with PRL.

Some players from tier 3 nations have also suggested in the past that making themselves available for international selection means having to accept a lower paid contract or no contract with English clubs (Trevor Leota for example)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

Its pretty much only Wales that request players outside of the IRB International window anyway.

Why they still do this is anyones guess, I'd like to see a level playing field with regards how much time players spend with their national squads, but thats another story altogether.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

Possibly "bribe" is a bit harsh. However it is true that PRL will not allow their member clubs to release players outside the IRB international windows unless the union requesting such leave comes to an agreement with PRL.

It took the PRL a long time to thrash out the EPS deal with the RFU. Releasing players to Wales outside of international windows for free (when the RFU are paying for it) would not go down very well at all. I believe the opportunity was offered to Wales ahead of the RWC but they refused to pay the additional insurance demanded by the PRL.

Some players from tier 3 nations have also suggested in the past that making themselves available for international selection means having to accept a lower paid contract or no contract with English clubs (Trevor Leota for example)

It's not just tier 3 nations. There were rumours that Lewis Moody signalled his intention to play for England post RWC and that's what caused Leicester to pull out of negociations. They didn't want a player known for picking up injuries missing a third of the season with international duty when on an experienced international players salary. It turned out that they knew what they were talking about as he's barely played for Bath despite being one of Bath's top earners.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

I think you have summarised one of the reasons Wales fans would rather Welsh players were not playing in the English premiership if they are likely to be called upon for international duty.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:16 pm

biltongbek wrote:
HERSH wrote:

Maes, saying Rugby Unions bribe clubs might not be the wisest thing to say, especially without proof.

Bill they want cash for something other nations do not charge for... It is effectively a bribe...

HERSH if you seriously think you understand Libel, then contact a solicitor and ask this site to reveal my contact details and we can run this through the courts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Possibly "bribe" is a bit harsh. However it is true that PRL will not allow their member clubs to release players outside the IRB international windows unless the union requesting such leave comes to an agreement with PRL.
Why should they? Why have a designated international window and then expect sides to lose their players anyway outside of that?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:Possibly "bribe" is a bit harsh. However it is true that PRL will not allow their member clubs to release players outside the IRB international windows unless the union requesting such leave comes to an agreement with PRL.
Why should they? Why have a designated international window and then expect sides to lose their players anyway outside of that?

Because the PRL do release the Premiership players to England and because other countries teams, like Wales' Regions, happily let foreign players like Tommy Bowe or Ben Morgan train with their countries when they are require to, without asking for financial kick backs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:24 am

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

Because the PRL do release the Premiership players to England and because other countries teams, like Wales' Regions, happily let foreign players like Tommy Bowe or Ben Morgan train with their countries when they are require to, without asking for financial kick backs.

Er, perhaps you don't remember Ben Morgan going back to the Scarlets for the off weekends. That shows that you are wrong. He was released for the International Window and the International Window only.

Also, the clubs released Scottish and PI players early for the World Cup without financial compensation. They just had to agree to rest the players a certain amount, player welfare and all that. The players released as part of the EPS have enforced rest periods so that they aren't playing as many games and also the money goes towards paying the salary of the their replacements for the additional 7/8 games the EPS players miss on top of the 8 in the window.

Also the WRU have recently agreed a larger financial deal with the Regions to secure the release of players outside of the window.

So stop being such a hypocrite.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Bill they want cash for something other nations do not charge for... It is effectively a bribe...

Welsh Regions are paid by the WRU to release players - in your words a bribe?
French Clubs took their players from other countries back during off weekends, as did the Scarlets.
French clubs will allow players to have additional release - but reduce the contract accordingly.
Welsh Regions are threatening to withold payment when players are called up to int. duty.

i agree that playing in England is harmful to a welsh player's aspirations - but the WRU are just as much to blame for this as PRL.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:21 am

maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
HERSH wrote:

HERSH if you seriously think you understand Libel, then contact a solicitor and ask this site to reveal my contact details and we can run this through the courts.

Theres an idea!

But I fear that could cost me some money, on the other hand I could mentioned it to some people I know at the RFU.

But I'm not a bitter person Mae unlike some on here. Wink
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:44 am

maestegmafia wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

Wasn't Morgan retained by the Scarlets? [edit] Ah, it's mentioned above.[/edit]

All this talk of 'bribes' and 'kick backs' is frankly twaddle.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

Absolutely, I bet if I were to make accusations that the WRU were corrupt and bribing regions and other clubs for player release I dread to think what would happen?

MODS - how can I be banned for not including Scott Gibbs in a poll yet some people get away with libellous comments that damage the reputation of the RFU?

Let’s have some consistency please!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

On the question of Alex Cuthbert, now that Henson has given the Blues an excuse to dump him, I suspect the money will now free up to sign Cuthbert.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

Lets hope Cuthbert goes to France and gets to play top flight meaningful rugby week in week out. His talent will be wasted in the Pro 12 with Cardiff

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

HERSH wrote:Absolutely, I bet if I were to make accusations that the WRU were corrupt and bribing regions and other clubs for player release I dread to think what would happen?

MODS - how can I be banned for not including Scott Gibbs in a poll yet some people get away with libellous comments that damage the reputation of the RFU?

Let’s have some consistency please!

glad to see that you are not a bitter person.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

thumbsup
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down