The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues

4 posters

Go down

Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues Empty Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues

Post by Liam Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20795322

Very good news for the Blues and for 3 years they've got an international who's not going anywhere in a hurry. Also good news for regional rugby in that an exiting talent like Cuthbert is staying in Wales to play his rugby.

Just hope with the money saved on Roberts when he departs we can get a few front rowers in and maybe a centre/SH also.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues Empty Re: Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Good on him

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues Empty Re: Alex Cutherbert signs new 3 year deal at the Blues

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Yep, good on him. He's young enough to still be hot property at the end of the contract (will be 25), but at the same time he's in a semi- protective environment that will hopefully help to nurture him (as opposed to the sink or swim of the French league at such a young age). He still needs to work on his defence, but at 22 and being a proven finisher and 6'6" I think his prospects are rosy. No point running before you walk!

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah as Griff says this was the most sensible decision for him and the region. He's still developing and needs to improve some aspects of his game and I'd say the Blues is the best place for that (where they know him, he's comfortable and he'll get lots of gametime and rest), as opposed to a big money move to a French club where they'll either play him into the ground and not develop him, or barely give him gametime and if he swims then great, but if he sinks, then they'll just get rid of him.

He'll also command a much bigger contract in 3 years in France...

(It's worth noting tho that lots of Welsh international players have chosen to stay in Wales)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:48 am

I am not a big fan of Cuthberts, but it is good to seem that he is staying in Wales. After he signed his 1 year extension to stay at the Blues this season, I though he was being cute and waiting for his value to rise (which it probably has seeing as his number of caps and international tries has increased, i believe). However fair play to him for signing a three year deal. I guess it goes to show that the Blues are definately doing something right behind the scenes in order to keep hold of their best players, whether it is the work environment, the wages, or just the feeling of belonging to the group.

It is very interesting to see that the 'exodus' of player seems to be those who are nearing the end of their career, and the younger players are seeing to be wanting to stay in Wales (we are still not certain Lydiate is off overseas), and generally showing real loyalty to the teams that gave them their first real chances.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down