The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A truly confusing conundrum.

+17
nobbled
red_stag
RubyGuby
maestegmafia
Barney McGrew did it
Taffineastbourne
Knowsit17
drsambo1928
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
doctor_grey
yappysnap
mystiroakey
Biltong
robbo277
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
EngInAuck
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A truly confusing conundrum. Empty A truly confusing conundrum.

Post by EngInAuck Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 pm

Chris Ashton ( the guy who used to score trys for england on a regular Basis) got alot of stick last year for the way he celebrated before he even scored the points. Celebrations like this .....

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2011/2/12/1297522688970/Chris-Ashton--007.jpg

This caused complete outcry among people of the rugby world , Welsh people were up in arms. How dare this young Winger score a try in such manor! "Arrogant!" and "disrespectful!" were words that were being thrown around "Typical arrogant English". When confronted with the argument that Shane Williams has celebrated Trys in the same way ,they couldn't admit that their hate was unjustified. They would reply that shane has been around long enough on the international circuit and therefore his Celebrations are justified, perhaps that argument was fair enough......

But then this happened........

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/2/26/1330269176901/Scott-Williams-scores-a-t-007.jpg

A young welsh lad by the name of Scott Williams scores a match winning try against england at HQ in a manor that has significant similarities to an incident from a certain game at the millennium stadium last year .Yet there was no outcry from the English Rugby public or anyone else for that matter ? Even though this was a blatant copy of Ashtons celebrations, rumours have it that Ashton was so deeply effected by the Blatant breach of copy right laws that his form was hampered for the rest of the tournament.

What does this mean ?

Perhaps the English are more Gracious in defeat, so they don't bring up such inconsequential things ?

Or Maybe the Welsh Critics of the Ash-splash have seen the light, and now finally appreciate the Athletic ability it takes to jump a few feet into the air?

Or even more likely, the reason behind the completely different re-actions from the two trys is due to some unknown magical formula taking into account the height of the player in the air and the angle of which the player is facing the pitch?

Who Knows...

Whistle
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

A truly confusing conundrum. Empty Re: A truly confusing conundrum.

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrMJhgvAzE

To be fair there were plenty of english willing to lay into Ashton too just for the sake of it. People like to be angry.

The swan aint got anything on the caterpillar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq1rUu8dZ6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJJCvnI3N0

Seems try celebrations have become commonplace in super rugby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvkcDynkTrI

Still, its fair to say this guy is a donut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dXJ0kCQNk

Look at the list of names there,all top class players whove earned the right to be a bit arrogant doing this sort of thing ...and cipriani.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 pm

That picture of Scott Williams doesn't show a swan dive though! Way to ruin your argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Griff wrote:That picture of Scott Williams doesn't show a swan dive though! Way to ruin your argument.

We need the facepalm icon back.

Ashtons try celebration in this case was to raise an arm in the air ( see the picture, identical to scott williams), even that was enough to send the jealousy patrol into overdrive.,

In the grand scheme of things its a nothing.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Griff wrote:That picture of Scott Williams doesn't show a swan dive though! Way to ruin your argument.

Ashtons try celebration in this case was to raise an arm in the air ( see the picture, identical to scott williams), even that was enough to send the jealousy patrol into overdrive.,

Ashton did the raised arm then a swan dive if memory serves. Scott Williams didn't do a swan dive, he just died over the line like any normal player. Seems odd to compare the two. Why not make the argument stronger by showing a picture of a Welsh Ashton-esque swan dive instead?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8kA6rlq7SM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 pm

I was mainly referring to the celebration before the try was scored , now i could be wrong but i do recall Scott Williams jumping up in the air with one arm raised, now if your telling me that one arm raised is ok but two arms (a Swan dive) is being disrespectful, thats laughable...

Unless mayby you refer back to the magic formula i mentioned, maybe the number of arms extended from the Body does matter thumbsup
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Nah, it's the swan dive that riles people. Scott Williams did a regular dive!

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Griff wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Ashton did the raised arm then a swan dive if memory serves. Scott Williams didn't do a swan dive, he just died over the line like any normal player. Seems odd to compare the two. Why not make the argument stronger by showing a picture of a Welsh Ashton-esque swan dive instead?

I don't really care if players dive on their way to score, but if you were to say that Ashton is a reprehensible person for his celebrations, then you have to say the same thing about Scott Williams. He dived in celebration, there was no need to dive but he was excited about scoring a try. So he should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAzWQ0NpUU

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Our Acadamy team coached by Louis Koen and Ian McDonald went to England to play against one of the varsities there, when the wing scored a try he started doing a dance and the try was disallowed because they are trying to teach these young boys to be respectful in victory.

True story.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Perhaps the English are more Gracious in defeat, so they don't bring up such inconsequential things ?

Obviously a massive fan of irony. It took you nearly two months to come up with this? Oh dear. Whatever happened to a good wum?

Last edited by Risca Rev on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't think Scott Williams' dive is any different than, say, Kevin Morgan's against Ireland to win the grand slam in 2005, or Scott Gibbs against England in 1999 at Wembley. People don't talk about those dives as being disrespectful, so there must be something different that Ashton does. So yes, it is the 'formula' that the OP talks about. I think it's this 'splash' thing, legs and arms splayed like a WWF wrestler diving off the top ropes! So much could go wrong in terms of not grounding the ball. Maybe that's what makes it arrogant?

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 pm

griff dont be such a simp;leton- its quite obvious its because ashton is english. there is no difference at all other than that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm

The difference is that the good old BBC and a certain brainless female interviewer couldn't stop talking about Ashton's dive. Add that to him scoring a record number of tries and England winning the 6N's for the first time since god knows when and the media (BBC in particular) went mad about it.

In the end it's easier for a corporation and people at home who know little about rugby to focus on this then on actual technical things.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 pm

its easier for bitter celts to have a pop at an englishman for diving than it is for them to have a pop at there own player for doing it- it really is that simple yappy- nothing else

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Why still be on this point about Ashton?
Ashton dives then gets up, doesn't pander to the camera and/or the crowd with silly dances or gestures. He just goes and celebrates with his teammates.........as he should.

In Rugby today, it seems half of all try scorers are putting their hand up in that silly 'I am number one' gesture before going over. Makes them all look like number two, by the way. I don't like that from a pure technical point (don't put yourself in position to lose the ball before touch down, dumbass), and from a professionalism and respect point of view. I suggest cutting the offending finger off all players who do this or simply making them place the particular digit in a most uncomfortable place for a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Scott Williams does remind me of someone else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_qG5NYbUc

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Quade knows how to be humble.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:14 pm

do people really truely have a problem with celebrating a score!!

i am very confussed by this strange attitude

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 pm

SecretFly wrote:Quade knows how to be humble.

Homer

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:20 am

It's not confusing and there's no conundrum.

The truth is that some fans - Welsh and English - grab any opportunity to slag off players of their respective countries - or whole teams and sometimes whole countries. Facts aren't allowed to get in the way.

That's not all fans, thank goodness, just some.

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:11 am

mystiroakey wrote:griff dont be such a simp;leton- its quite obvious its because ashton is english. there is no difference at all other than that.

clap This is the point i was trying to get across. But i can see now that no self Respecting Welsh rugby poster will admit this.

The reason why i brought this up now and not straight after the final whistle is that i didnt want to draw attention from their deserved Grand Slam.

The double standards on these boards are stupid. Posts such as "England Target 2015" are heckled by Welsh posters saying how the English are being arrogant. All you have top do is look down a couple of topics and you see headlines like "Wales to be the All Blacks Biggest Challange in 2012" chin .........

I know which one i think is more arogant. Whistle
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 am

There was never anything wrong with Ashton's celebration. He should be allowed to celebrate his try how he likes but within respectfull grounds.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 am

EngInAuck wrote:The double standards on these boards are stupid. Posts such as "England Target 2015" are heckled by Welsh posters saying how the English are being arrogant. All you have top do is look down a couple of topics and you see headlines like "Wales to be the All Blacks Biggest Challange in 2012" chin .........

EnginAuck. Mate it isn't double standards or arrogance. It is commonly known as wind ups and biased views. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 am

Again, I can only reiterate that Ashton will swan dive at any opportunity he can, even if he's handed a simple run-in under the posts which he did nothing to create himself.

Not only did Scott Williams not swan dive but his try required at least some individual skill on his part. Shane was the same, he only did dives when he scored tries that required skill. I've seen Ashton recieve a pass with no one in front of him, at a very short distance from the line, couldn't have been easier, yet he still can't resist prancing.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:27 am

EngInAuck wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:griff dont be such a simp;leton- its quite obvious its because ashton is english. there is no difference at all other than that.

clap This is the point i was trying to get across. But i can see now that no self Respecting Welsh rugby poster will admit this.

The reason why i brought this up now and not straight after the final whistle is that i didnt want to draw attention from their deserved Grand Slam.

The double standards on these boards are stupid. Posts such as "England Target 2015" are heckled by Welsh posters saying how the English are being arrogant. All you have top do is look down a couple of topics and you see headlines like "Wales to be the All Blacks Biggest Challange in 2012" chin .........

Sorry to pop your balloon but the thread re "WAles to be the All Blacks biggest challenge" was started by a Kiwi.Kind of undermines your posturing somewhat????? Rolling Eyes

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
EngInAuck wrote:

Sorry to pop your balloon but the thread re "WAles to be the All Blacks biggest challenge" was started by a Kiwi.Kind of undermines your posturing somewhat????? Rolling Eyes

Indeed it was laughing

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 am

Tbh I’m amused when the oppo fans get their knickers in a twist over one thing or another that an English player did or didn’t do – shows they're thinking of us. As some guy with funny hair once said there’s only one thing in life worse than being talked about and that’s not being talked about.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 am

Knowsit17 wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
EngInAuck wrote:

Indeed it was laughing

And your telling me that no Welsh posters agreed with the post ? Doh
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 am

Would a Welshman argue with a Kiwi fan of the current world champions on this matter?I doubt that many would as we acknowledge that they know their Rugby.
How does that make us arrogant as you suggested?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:46 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
EngInAuck wrote:

Indeed it was laughing

And your telling me that no Welsh posters agreed with the post ? Doh

Personally I didn't agree or disagree, I'm still sceptical on whether it'll be the case and anyway it's not for months yet. But why should no Welsh poster agree? Wales are the best side in the NH so logically we might be the AB's toughest test when they visit the NH.

Now back on topic... why isn't Ashton arrogant for diving as often as possible?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Would a Welshman argue with a Kiwi fan of the current world champions on this matter?I doubt that many would as we acknowledge that they know their Rugby.

You Agree that Wales will be the World Champions biggest challenge in 2012, and you cant see how that makes you arrogant?

Yet if a English poster posts that they believe that England might win the World Cup in 2015 , that is being arrogant ?

.....Lord help us
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Would a Welshman argue with a Kiwi fan of the current world champions on this matter?I doubt that many would as we acknowledge that they know their Rugby.

You Agree that Wales will be the World Champions biggest challenge in 2012, and you cant see how that makes you arrogant?

Yet if a English poster posts that they believe that England might win the World Cup in 2015 , that is being arrogant ?

.....Lord help us
If I were to disagree with a well-informed fan of the World Champions,that would be arrogant.If they see us as their biggest threat,who am I to disagree?Dont you get it?
If you disagree,might that seem a tad arrogant?
A true conundrum for you,methinks. laughing

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:01 am

Guys enough of this arrogance. There is nothing wrong with either set of supporters believing or hoping their team could be the All Blacks biggest challenge, whether you agree is a different matter. But keep it based on facts and not accusing each other of arrogance or any other personal attack.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:43 am

biltongbek wrote:Guys enough of this arrogance. There is nothing wrong with either set of supporters believing or hoping their team could be the All Blacks biggest challenge, whether you agree is a different matter. But keep it based on facts and not accusing each other of arrogance or any other personal attack.

Apologies Biltong

Originally posted this Topic as a bit of a joke, i thought it might provide some laughs , hopefully it has thumbsup
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am

Wow...

This is now the most pathetic thread I have read on here...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 pm

EngInAuck wrote:Originally posted this Topic as a bit of a joke, i thought it might provide some laughs , hopefully it has thumbsup

Like I said all along oh dear. No it hasn't provided any laughs and you have done yourself no favours flogging a dead horse by continuing to go down the same path. Your incorrect comparison of the two threads was funny though, but only for getting to watch you try and justify your mistake.

Poor effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I think we are missing the point here and will offer a diferent angle. Many anglo fans are dismissive of Ashtons diving and whilst I have no problem with the celebration (I would if I was his coach as it is a bit risky) I think people are judging the action by the type of person performing that action. Ashton has not endeared himself to many fans including some anglos and hence his celebration is treated with some disdain. Scott Williams is a virtual unknown and until he achieves a higher profile he's probably safe from criticism. Interestingly the much loved Jamie Roberts started celebrating with a finger in the air a long time before touching down versus Italy yet Saint Jamie is devolved of all things arrogant as he's a "decent bloke" so to speak. A little more humilty from all would help. Celebrate by all means that's what you're there for but just have a think what's best for all concerned. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:42 pm

At least it is something to talk about when the Six Nations are over, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:43 pm

I am surprised the finger pointing thing was that big a deal.

Personally speaking I thought Ashton was a plonker as the swan dive is likely to lead to a knock on and the coach of the international team told him privately and publically by the media that it could affect the team some day with a knock on and to stop doing it.

That was the arrogant part for me. Never the finger point.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 pm

so pointing a finger isnt arrogant?

lol

personally i dont mind arrogance,its part and parcel of sport!! but lets not try and make out something isnt arrogant when it clearly is! lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:so pointing a finger isnt arrogant?

lol

personally i dont mind arrogance,its part and parcel of sport!! but lets not try and make out something isnt arrogant when it clearly is! lol

Not for me it isnt. Lots of players do it. From memory I think Jamie Heaslip does it a bit.

No for me it was continuing to do these dives when they were risky and his coach told him to stop that was the issue.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Yeah lots of people do do it. but thats due to the fact most sportsmen are arrogant.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I used to hate the Ashton Swan-dive. I was sure one day it would go wrong.
Now I miss it.
Cry
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

The 'arrogant' part for me was the team the swan dive was initially directed at - Italy (bottom ranked side, trying their best, being eaten alive and having their noses rubbed in it) I didn't like that aspect.

I don't like performance celebrations in general (non-showy simple put downs and non-showy retreat for restart position are much cooler in my eyes) but rubbing it in to low ranked sides is a tad cruel.

But the actual bit about swan dives and other dramatic leaps and falls that I detest is the lack of understanding of just how much damage could be inflicted on an arm/shoulder/wrist as they take the full weight of an exuberant player needlessly crashing to the ground. Injuries can happen in rugby, we all know that - don't invite them whilst scoring.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:05 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Yeah lots of people do do it. but thats due to the fact most sportsmen are arrogant.

Do you really find it arrogant? I dont even give it a second thought.

Whats so arrogant about it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 pm

I dont give a swan dive a second thought.

You need me to tell you whats arrogant about gestures before a score. lol

i dont give a second thought. but its still a display of arrogance

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I dont see whats funny. I just dont find it arrogant. Thats all.

Being arrogant for me is doing something risky that could affect you and the team.

Pointing a finger in the air is simply celebrating a try.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 pm

It's the fact that Ashton looks like he might drop the ball mid-score than upsets me. Nobody minded when Shane did a roly-poly score (though his context in doing so was better), because tbh it's not that disrespectful. Better than celebrating for ages after the score
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:It's the fact that Ashton looks like he might drop the ball mid-score than upsets me. Nobody minded when Shane did a roly-poly score (though his context in doing so was better), because tbh it's not that disrespectful. Better than celebrating for ages after the score

Exactly. Thats the issue.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next