The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if only Johnson were still in charge...

+3
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
7 posters

Go down

if only Johnson were still in charge... Empty if only Johnson were still in charge...

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:33 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2011-12/rugby/story/162249.html

Doesnt exactly fit the bill as a Lancaster boy does he. Mind with Farrell insisting the entire Saracens team gets capped he could be in with a chance

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

if only Johnson were still in charge... Empty Re: if only Johnson were still in charge...

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:39 pm

If only

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

if only Johnson were still in charge... Empty Re: if only Johnson were still in charge...

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

Really? I don't see the appeal of bringing a 31-year-old Saffer into the fold against a young promising native in Morgan, one of the rarities to not exploit the residency sham and go with his heart in choosing his true country might I add.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

What about Brian Ashton. I thought he was thrown to the wolves despite proving himself.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

I dont think that Lancaster would conider him to be honest, Lancaster did say that he would like to give young players a chance, players that have been on the edge of international rugby , but not quite got their.

So although he (joubert) may well have intentions to play for ENGLAND i think in Lancasters mind, he is too old and not required right now thank you.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

Maj,

Thats the point I was making.

theres no question under the previous " oh god the kids let us down who the f are we going to get to bail us out of this" regime Joubert wouldve been straight in the side.

As it is he will be too old to be in with a shot of a cap. Its doubtful that hed still be fit enough for the next world cup and doesnt tick all the "this is what rob andrew and twitter wants to hear" boxes. Theres no way, even as a Saracen, Lancaster would consider picking one of the best backrows to have ever played in the Premiership.

And rightly so ....?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:31 pm

Just to offer a counterpoint to the discussion about Ernst Joubert. He is a very good Number 8. Clearly, at his age, he is not close to representing the future, as does Ben Morgan. But if Morgan gets hurt, then England need a powerful, effective, and intelligent man a the base of the scrum. Joubert fills that bill nicely. Further, Joubert could go a long way to give Morgan a sense of how to play number 8 consistently over the years. So I think I like having Joubert in camp, appearing in some matches, as long as the eventual pecking order is clear. And, if some new up and comer reveals himself to England, then he has a priority shot.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:36 pm

It's comforting to have a bevy of qualified players in the locker. Like Doctor Grey says if injury befalls all our young 8s (look how bare the cupboard was before Morgan came along) we have some gnarly old qualified journeymen in the wings for one off appearances. Not the future but not a bad thing to have up your sleeve should the worst happen!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down