The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howley In Charge

+4
Dontheman
HERSH
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
8 posters

Go down

Howley In Charge Empty Howley In Charge

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:16 am

Its official, Howley will be in charge of Wales for the AIs and 6Nations.

God Help Us
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Howley In Charge Empty Re: Howley In Charge

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:49 am

Does Howley actually do anything different to Gatland in terms of selection and playing style?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:53 am

I fail to see how thats bad news?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

HERSH wrote:I fail to see how thats bad news?
Yeah dead right HERSH. Howleys our man. Gats thinks so too that's why he wants him for backs coach on the Lions tour.

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:02 pm

Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

Chin up Bedford mate.

I don't think he's doing a bad job. We have plenty of talent in the squad. Hopefully in seven months we will have uncovered even more awesome youth talent to add to the list.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm

I guess being the man in charge of the international side being a tour down south that people are expecting us to win (and be hoenst there were a few who were) is not the best place to start your career as a head coach (has howley ever done that at any level before), especially when the job was sort of dropped upon you.

Hopefully now that he is well prepared for having a bit of experiene, and being at home this Autumn before the 6Ns will give him a chance to settle in a bit.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:35 pm

Hope your right Scarlet.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

So do I.

The other thing I am hoping is that with the likes of Dan Evans, Tom Prydie and hoepfully Jason Tovey getting a new lease of life in the backs, and R Jones, and Bevington all getting regular action in the front row, we should have some real options in even when the non-rabo players are missing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

SS,

Both Evans and Prydie looked handy last week and Prydie is getting very consistent with his boot. Both should get regular game time for us down at Dave.

WIth Sweeney as the only other option at 10 for the Blues then surely Tovey will seem some decent game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 09 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Tovey has again been very unlucky with injury. Prydie has been full of life, really maturing nicely and Dan Evans has re-found the good form he showed at Scarlets a while back.

Another lad looking very positive in my opinion is Aaron Shingler for Scarlets, great scavenger and opposition spoiler.

I'm not worried about Howley taking the role from Gatland, I don't see the Australia tour as a failure. It was more of a disappointing success and that reflects positively on Howley for me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:00 am

Maes,

I didn't see the tour as a failure given our shocking record against the SH I just really doubt some of his selections and do fear similar come the AIs and 6 Nations
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Sep 2012, 9:19 am

Aye, I agree with some opinions and not with others. Omission of Ian Evans and the expectation on four key players returning from injury was a bold call that can realistically, critically and with the condition of hindsight be categorised as in correct.

But I think we can all see that for every decision there was a counter argument. That argument may not support your personal preference or the decision you would have made, and you are far from alone in your thinking.

But we can't right Howley off as a no hoper on his first three games in a very tough environment. One where, as per usual, we were very close but still didn't win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm

I think he's still learning his trade as a coach. Just not sure it's right that he gets to learn in the hot seat. His coaching career seems to have been fast tracked based on his exceptional skills as a player.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Mon 10 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm

Martin Johnson springs to mind

Personally i am stunned by what the WRU is allowing to happen in Cardiff - in order to accomodate Gatland's ambitions the whole future of Wales national side is being put on offer. Not least because Gatland is being allowed to dictate his level of involvement and is allowing an unproven coach to take the reins in his absence. I think Howley has as many qualifications to run Wales as Johnson had to run England i.e none

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

mowgli wrote:Martin Johnson springs to mind

Personally i am stunned by what the WRU is allowing to happen in Cardiff - in order to accomodate Gatland's ambitions the whole future of Wales national side is being put on offer. Not least because Gatland is being allowed to dictate his level of involvement and is allowing an unproven coach to take the reins in his absence. I think Howley has as many qualifications to run Wales as Johnson had to run England i.e none
Howley is qualified, he has the diploma and he had coached for four and a half years before assuming the reigns.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down