The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...?

+14
formerly known as Sam
3rdGrandslamCame
red_stag
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
Shifty
gowales
gelodge
Pot Hale
wales606
BigTrevsbigmac
Rory_Gallagher
maestegmafia
18 posters

Go down

Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...? Empty Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

having a great season so far, scoring tries for fun.

cant think of anyone who rivals his form...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...? Empty Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:20 pm

Beck really is having a great season so far, scoring tries for fun all over. Great support play and fantastic passing game. Reads the match wonderfully.

I cant think of anyone who rivals his form...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...? Empty Re: Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm

Paddy Wallace.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...? Empty Re: Ashley Beck - Best Inside Centre in Europe...?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

Jonathan Davies if you consider him a 12 also (I do).

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

He was the stand out performer for any Welsh Region this weekend .

Make of that what you will but I guess you already have.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm

maestegmafia wrote:having a great season so far, scoring tries for fun.

It doesn't get any more convincing because you wrote it twice Very Happy

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:43 pm

Certainly on form

If only he had a consistent 10 inside him (though Biggar has looked very good the last 2 weeks)

and a half decent 13 outside him.

I would love to see what he could do with JD2 - Will certainly keep Roberts and Williams on their toes.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm

Gavin Henson or am I skating on thin ice?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

Best Inside Centre in Europe?

Paddy Wallace.

No debate.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:11 am

That was my answer in the other thread Smile And Davies, as I consider him to be more of a 12 than a 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:14 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:That was my answer in the other thread Smile

I bet you meant it too. Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:18 am

Pot Hale wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:That was my answer in the other thread Smile

I bet you meant it too. Smile

boxing

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:29 am

wales606 wrote:Certainly on form

If only he had a consistent 10 inside him (though Biggar has looked very good the last 2 weeks)

and a half decent 13 outside him.

I would love to see what he could do with JD2 - Will certainly keep Roberts and Williams on their toes.

Aye...

Agree Biggar is pulling performances together nicely now... Lets hope he can do it from now on and reveal some of that youthful potential he once showed in abundance.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:12 am

6 tiries, 4 of which were against Treviso.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:15 am

For a 12 that's still pretty good gelodge.

Well looking at it in perspective, he's the on form 12 in Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Barritt and Fofana would have something to say about it though!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:57 am

In attack yes, but in defense he is bloody awful. Promising player but with loads to learn to be honest.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

Jamie Roberts, Brad Barritt and Wesley Fofana are all better than Ashley Beck at 12.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

I think Ashley Beck is quality. Can't wait to see what he can do in a Wales jersey.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:52 am

He only got his first league try of the season last weekend.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:53 am

Wesley Fofana.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

JD2 is a FAR better 13 than 12. Put him into space and he turn on the gas. Ireland know this better than anyone. 3 tries in 2 matches v Ireland for him.

Beck will challenge Roberts in time depending on the situation and opposition.

Shame Beck didn't get on the bench for Wales.

Beck is the understudy 12
Scott Williams is the understudy 13

I hope Tovey becomes Priestland's ankle biter.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Matthew Morgan's career

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm

Didn't Davies score a bazillion tries at 12 for the Scarlets anyway though? He picks wonderful lines, which is still a quality that a 12 should have. He can be a big bruising runner, or a silky runner, on command it seems. I think he is really suited to 12.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

JD2 is a FAR better 13 than 12. Put him into space and he turn on the gas. Ireland know this better than anyone. 3 tries in 2 matches v Ireland for him

I disagree. I think that pace and power in the 12 channel, particularly of set phase play, is much more dangerous. Scarlets vs Munster with Davies taking the ball at pace and going through the 10 channel was really excellent, he caused a lot of problems there and I think his tendancy to step back against the defence works really well closer in.

For me Beck is down the list with Fofana, McAllister, Davies, Barritt, Contepomi, F Steyn (when he plays there), Roberts, Jauzion - in no particular order ahead of him. Beck is similar to Twelvetrees, an exciting young talent with a well rounded skill set. Potential to be a quality international but still developing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm

Ashley Beck has decent footwork and such good hands, which is more than you can say for Jamie Roberts.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ashley Beck has decent footwork and such good hands, which is more than you can say for Jamie Roberts.

Yep, Roberts "Lions man of the series" is a pretty poor player.

Maybe if Wales had a decent 12 they would actually win something...

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Who says Roberts is a poor player FFS, Grandslam? Maybe if we had some creativity in the backline we could actually beat a SH team for once.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdGrandslamCame Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:42 pm

1 Player does not make a SH beating team.

3rdGrandslamCame

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

One player can help develop a slightly better gameplan though. We won't be able to beat the SH teams by just running at them like we have done this 6 nations.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:56 pm

I stand by what I said. Ashley Beck is a much better footballer than Jamie Roberts.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I stand by what I said. Ashley Beck is a much better footballer than Jamie Roberts.

Doesn't mean he is the better IC though. Until he puts in good performances in big games - such as HC or Rabo final, I will reserve judgement.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

He put in a good performance in the HC game against Sarries at Wembley and scored two cracking tries in the process, Tiger!

Last edited by gowales on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 1:59 pm

No, but it does mean what it says, which is that he's a better footballer.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Davies seems to be best of both worlds though - he has the size and the skill. I think he would be the best 12 in europe.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

Rory, I think he'd be even better with a playmaker in midfield with him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

He can fill that role himself at times though - with his silky runs and good hands, he can really put players into great positions.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

He's a better all-round rugby player than he's been given credit for in the past.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

Gordon D'arcy?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:He can fill that role himself at times though - with his silky runs and good hands, he can really put players into great positions.
He s a better outside centre. I don't think Roberts should have a spot cemented for him in the Welsh camp.

Beck has far more skill but sacrifices the bulk of Roberts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm

Beck looks a fine prospect, but best IC in Europe? Not yet by a long way. Not to say he can't improve.

I'm also not sure we should be basing "form" on a home game against an Italian side.

It's like Visser, we need to see him perform regularly in some big games.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm

I disagree personally, he offers skill without sacrificing bulk, and is the perfect 12 IMO. He is up there with the best right now.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I disagree personally, he offers skill without sacrificing bulk, and is the perfect 12 IMO. He is up there with the best right now.

Davies and Roberts don't have the passing game to be great inside centres. Beck does.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm

Davies has improved a great deal in that regard. Look at Nonu, he wasn't a great distributor or playmaker, but he made the 12 shirt his own over time and constantly improved. Now he is the best at that in the world probably, or at least he was during the RWC.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:48 am

This where Wales lose out not having an A team as I would like to see Beck at 12 in that environment.

I am not a big fan of Roberts, his main quality is he is big. He is not very quick, not a great passer and can be very predictable. I would love to see Wales play with a more skilful 12.

I think with Roberts, Davies, Beck and Scott Williams though we have some decent options in midfield that some sides would love.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:45 am

doctornickolas wrote:I am not a big fan of Roberts, his main quality is he is big. He is not very quick, not a great passer and can be very predictable. I would love to see Wales play with a more skilful 12.

Absolutely right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:27 am

sugarNspikes wrote:Beck looks a fine prospect, but best IC in Europe? Not yet by a long way. Not to say he can't improve.

I'm also not sure we should be basing "form" on a home game against an Italian side.

It's like Visser, we need to see him perform regularly in some big games.

+1

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down