The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gray replaces Gray

+15
nickj
George Carlin
RDW
Artful_Dodger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
SuperGuinness69
UlstermaninGlasgow
funnyExiledScot
Scot Abroad
21st Century Schizoid Man
IanBru
cp10
wales606
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
19 posters

Go down

Gray replaces Gray Empty Gray replaces Gray

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Younger brother Jonny Gray will replace the departing Richie Gray at the Glasgow Warriors. Young Jonny has signed a two-year Elite Development Programme contract that will keep him at the Warriors until 2014. Along with Gregor Hunter, he is also the recipient of the MacPhail scholarship this year that will see him sojourn in New Zealand for a handful of months: Jonny Gray

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Gray replaces Gray Empty Re: Gray replaces Gray

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

Fantastic news. I have to plead ignorance and say I have never seen Johnny Gray play. If he is anything like Richie Glasgow have done well to secure his talents.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Younger brother Jonny Gray will replace the departing Richie Gray at the Glasgow Warriors. Young Jonny has signed a two-year Elite Development Programme contract that will keep him at the Warriors until 2014. Along with Gregor Hunter, he is also the recipient of the MacPhail scholarship this year that will see him sojourn in New Zealand for a handful of months: Jonny Gray

Braveheart

Unfortunate name
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 02 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Fantastic news. I have to plead ignorance and say I have never seen Johnny Gray play. If he is anything like Richie Glasgow have done well to secure his talents.
If you watched any of this year's U20 6Ns, you would have seen him - not bad for a lad that was just 17 at the time

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 4:27 pm

6'6ft and 120kg at the age of 17. Christ, their poor mother! Think of the food bill growing up.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 02 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

wales606 wrote:Unfortunate name

You're not wrong - my grandfather's CO in the Black Watch was a Major McPhail. Is it any surprise that my old man was captured at Dunkirk?

Big Jonny (we've got to think up a better name than that) looked pretty good in the U20 game against England, tho I haven't seen any more of him. Not as good as his brother at the moment (who is?), but he's got a few years of development before he'll be in the mix for Scotland.

Glasgow's second row options next year are looking pretty tidy - Kellock, Gray minimus, Ryder, and Campbell. Could be good.

Last edited by IanBru on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 02 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

IanBru wrote:

You're not wrong - my grandfather's CO in the Black Watch was a Major McPhail. Is it any surprise that my old man was captured at Dunkirk?

Big Jonny (we've got to think up a better name than that) looked pretty tidy in the U20 game against England, tho I haven't seen any more of him. Not as good as his brother at the moment (who is?), but he's got a few years of development before he'll be in the mix for Scotland.

Glasgow's second row options next year are looking pretty tidy - Kellock, Gray minimus, Ryder, and Campbell. Could be good.
Swinson coming in too, Ian, altho I suspect that Rob MacAlpine will shift his development contract to Edinburgh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:32 pm

Richie G always reckoned his 'wee' brother was the rugby player in the family Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

Thought it was about time they signed up junior. The Gray brothers will be the future Scotland locks.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

Agreed ASBO, MacAlpine should move (or perhaps more sensibly Campbell) to Edinburgh, otherwise Glasgow have too many locks and Edinburgh too few.

I'm pleased he'll get the benefit of New Zealand. It clearly did wonders for Grant Gilchrist.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

Having played with Jonny, albeit at 7's in Cambuslang last summer, one thing that struck me was the fact that he doesn't look as awkward as Richie when running, and the fact that he was almost as fast as Wee Dunc too.

He's going to be scary good....
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:13 am

That's excellent news, Ulsterman - I know what you mean about Richie - it's the length of the limbs, makes it look like they're a nano second behind where they should be!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGuinness69 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

Who has Richie signed for?

SuperGuinness69

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

AsLong

Me and my mate both reckon it's to do with his proprioception. (That's medic speak for how your body senses where your limbs are). But in fairness he's not as bad as he was!

But about Jonny, I agree with Richie, he's the real player in the family... And he'll be taller too... Probably be 6'11"
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:41 am

SuperGuinness69 wrote:Who has Richie signed for?
Sale - still dont understand it myself, but there you are

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:42 am

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:AsLong

Me and my mate both reckon it's to do with his proprioception. (That's medic speak for how your body senses where your limbs are). But in fairness he's not as bad as he was!

But about Jonny, I agree with Richie, he's the real player in the family... And he'll be taller too... Probably be 6'11"
Wow, thats much too big a word for me to remember!

Well, let's hope that young Jonny continues his development. Think Scotland will be ok for second rows for the next decade or so

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:12 am

IanBru wrote:

Big Jonny (we've got to think up a better name than that) looked pretty good in the U20 game against England, tho I haven't seen any more of him. Not as good as his brother at the moment (who is?), but he's got a few years of development before he'll be in the mix for Scotland.

If you were this guy you wouldve refused the promotion surely

Spoiler:

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:23 am

Rofl.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:13 am

cp10 wrote:6'6ft and 120kg at the age of 17. Christ, their poor mother! Think of the food bill growing up.

It's mumma Tuilagi I feel sorry for - 7 sons or something like that, the smallest of which is "only" 6ft 3 and 17 stones!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:16 am

Gray going to sale might actually be a good move for Richie. They clearly have a plan for development that has attracted quite a lot of good players.

My biggest concern is that he loses some his athletic ability and becomes another big lumbering 2nd row in a league full of big lumbering 2nd rows.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
cp10 wrote:6'6ft and 120kg at the age of 17. Christ, their poor mother! Think of the food bill growing up.

It's mumma Tuilagi I feel sorry for - 7 sons or something like that, the smallest of which is "only" 6ft 3 and 17 stones!

I think Manu is adopted

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:08 pm

Actually Manu is quite relatively short isn't he? He's still 17 stones or something like that!

Is there not a 3rd Gray brother who is in his early teens? Or have I just made that up?

Would be amazing if, in ten years time, we had the 2 Gray brothers starting for Scotland and their youngest brother on the bench covering 2nd row (assuming he's a monster too)!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Well, let's hope that young Jonny continues his development. Think Scotland will be ok for second rows for the next decade or so

That's an optimistic view. Last time Robinson had to choose between 4 strong candidates at second row he solved it by shoving Hines to 6 and Brown to 8. Let's hope we don't see that. Richie Gray to number 8? It wouldn't surprise me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

Great to see the Canterbury Crusaders alumni - no better mentors to have, really. The McPhail does a lot of young players a lot of good.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

Agreed, and we seem to now be really targeting the right young players to benefit.

I really can't believe how quickly Grant Gilchrist and Harry Leonard have developed this season, and I'm sure the McPhail scholarships last year are a big part of that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

Interesting point that FES. Both the McPhail recipients this year already have pro contracts - so its less of a scholarship and more of a summer finishing school.

I'm certainly not saying that's a bad thing, but its an interesting change of tack, none the less.

Leonard and Gilchrist have obviously benefitted, so here's hoping more than two talented newbies get the chance next year.

Which begs the question, if it works so well, why don't the SRU look at extending the scheme?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 04 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

nickj wrote:Which begs the question, if it works so well, why don't the SRU look at extending the scheme?

Ludicrous forward thinking there Nickj. Who do you think you are, Gregor Townsend? If it's a good idea, I'm certain the SRU won't do it!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
nickj wrote:Which begs the question, if it works so well, why don't the SRU look at extending the scheme?

Ludicrous forward thinking there Nickj. Who do you think you are, Gregor Townsend? If it's a good idea, I'm certain the SRU won't do it!
Even worse Nicky - there's a real chance that might eat into the SRU Annual Chocolate Hob Nobs and Glenmorangie Budget.

What are you thinking, man? warning
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:24 am

Big Nick Campbell gets his first pro contract - fantastic news clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

Asbo,

where did you hear/see that ?

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

The unoffy site: Nick Campbell OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

It was on the warriors Twitter this morning! Great news for the warriors!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

That is a big signing - this guy is going to be a beast. Kellock, Ryder and Swinson are all more 5's than 4's, and in combination could be slightly lightweight. This guy could provide real grunt.

With Gray and Campbell snapped up, surely McAlpine will now move across to Edinburgh to provide back-up to Cox.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:That is a big signing - this guy is going to be a beast. Kellock, Ryder and Swinson are all more 5's than 4's, and in combination could be slightly lightweight. This guy could provide real grunt.

With Gray and Campbell snapped up, surely McAlpine will now move across to Edinburgh to provide back-up to Cox.
fES, makes a lot of sense, but still leaves Embra short of one (decent quality) lock imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

Scots qualified too please. Get Rowan Sheperd and all to prove their worth by finding us a good big'yun before Lineen starts.

I mean what's with Yapp and Rees? I hope they were cheap as chips.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

Agreed Nickj - with Leck and Laidlaw there they could easily have taken the next kid off the rank instead, or tried to get Rory Lawson back. Similarly why not try and get Shiells from Newcastle, who are clearly going down.

Maybe they did and they wouldn't come, but it's not a great sign to see Welsh journeymen filling up the squad. They'll both contribute and be better than the current back-up options at Edinburgh, but I'm not convinced we're signing players of Heineken Cup calibre here.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:20 pm

Have we secured Shiells for Scotland now? I know he was named in the A squad for the England game but did he play? There were rumours he was being courted by the English (the dogs).

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by SGD prop Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

Said that on another thread as well,
Although both are ok club players (Rees maybe a bit better) they are far from marquee signings and with there only being 2 pro clubs I would much rather they looked at bringing some Scots home (as FES said) or look to develop someone new. Just look at the impact some of the young players have had this season. Before anyone mentions it I do not expect every crop of youngsters to have the same impact but we must let the better ones at least have a chance.
I have been a little concerned with the number of SCOTTISH produced (i.e. not just qualified) talent come through the system in both the Glasgow and Edinburgh squads and would like to see more come through in the future. Guess a bit of the chicken and the egg situation.

SGD prop

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

nickj wrote:Have we secured Shiells for Scotland now? I know he was named in the A squad for the England game but did he play? There were rumours he was being courted by the English (the dogs).
I don't believe he has, nick, but he's a Borderer thru&thru, can't imagine he'd turn out for England

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:36 pm

One lives in hope ASBO. But I thought Shingler was the next mercurial Welsh 10 until a few months ago.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

England have Corbs, Wood, Mullan, Stevens, Sheridan and no doubt a bunch more options at loosehead. The greedy sods should leave our players alone - it's our prerogative to steal their players, not the other way around!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:38 pm

He has been quoted as saying that he would choose Scotland over England if given the choice
http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle-sports/north-east-rugby/newcastle-falcons/2011/12/17/classy-grant-shiells-cuts-through-the-hype-61634-29968127/

One last awkward question for Shiells is greeted with a smile and a sigh, as the dual-qualified scrummager is put on the spot about his international ambitions.

He said: “It is not something that I have to think about, but if it did come down to it I would have to say Scotland

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

Scotland sure have a lot of brother partnerships: Lamonts, Evans, Blairs, Grays. I heard that Paterson has a bigger brother kept locked in the basement because of how scary good he is he would be snapped up by scientists for experimentation for the remainder of his life should he play.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

Another signing for the Weegies: Byron McGuigan - would be interesting to hear from biltong or any other saffa poster what they make of this young lad?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Scotland sure have a lot of brother partnerships: Lamonts, Evans, Blairs, Grays. I heard that Paterson has a bigger brother kept locked in the basement because of how scary good he is he would be snapped up by scientists for experimentation for the remainder of his life should he play.

Chris Paterson? Is this brother young?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Another signing for the Weegies: Byron McGuigan - would be interesting to hear from biltong or any other saffa poster what they make of this young lad?
7s does seem to be a fertile ground for developing players - Grant, Jones, now Fleming.

I have high hopes for young Sam H-Clyne.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

George Carlin wrote:

If he learns how to tackle - watched all the under 20's highlights and he was basically a revolving door!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

If he learns how to tackle - watched all the under 20's highlights and he was basically a revolving door!
True, RDW, altho to be fair, he's only 17!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

My concern is if he's doing that against other 17 year olds, what is he going to be like against grizzled veterans!

He does win the prize for the poshest name in rugby though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My concern is if he's doing that against other 17 year olds, what is he going to be like against grizzled veterans!

He does win the prize for the poshest name in rugby though.
More like other 19/20 yr olds given he was playing for U20s, no? I think there can still be a massive physical difference at that stage, btu you are right that it is something he clearly needs to work on

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down