The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

+24
hodge
trebellbobaggins
dummy_half
Stella
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
Liam
msp83
liverbnz
Fists of Fury
alfie
hampo17
mystiroakey
eirebilly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
ShahenshahG
Mad for Chelsea
Luke
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Carrotdude
Shelsey93
Biltong
Duty281
28 posters

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon 2 Apr 2012 - 19:17

First topic message reminder :

Not too early for this is it? After their 'heroic' defeat last Thursday, England will need a win to tie the series and preserve their no.1 ranking while Sri Lanka need a win or tie to win the series.

England's preparations haven't been helped by the fact that Broad will miss out due to injury while Sri Lanka's have been boosted by the news that Mathews will return from injury. Cricinfo predicts the following line-ups with two changes for each team:

Sri Lanka (probable) 1 Lahiru Thirimanne, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara, 4 Mahela Jaywardene, 5 Thilan Samaraweera, 6 Angelo Mathews, 7 Prasanna Jayawardene, 8 Suraj Randiv, 9 Rangana Herath, 10 Dhammila Prasad, 11 Suranga Lakmal.

England (probable) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Samit Patel, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steve Finn.

The pressure is really on Andrew Strauss, for his batting (justified) and his captaincy (unjustified). England's batsmen will also be feeling the heat as well - they haven't made over 400 so far this winter!

Keep an eye out for the rain, some is predicted on the first day. Game starts at 5:30 BST. Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:12

Some people find this boring but i truely find it fascinating cricket Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Sri Lanka v England 2nd Test Match Thread

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:18

You're right, this is often were the match result is heavily influenced, can the tailenders get another 50 runs, or perhaps 80 runs. ALternatively the tail gets blown away and Sri Lanka finish with less than 300.

As I say that a wicket falls.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:19

I agree with billy, fascinating little spell this morning, England bowling well, asking questions, but SL equal to them.

Fine catch by KP to get rid of Randiv who tried to take on the deepish mid-on off Swann!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:21

That will do, a wicket Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:21

Now, anything under 300 will be a huge result for England Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:23

54 off 152 and counting, thats patients for you right there from Matthews OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:23

looking at the replays that was a great catch, back-pedalling and timed his leap to perfection clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:25

He hung onto it well as he hit the ground with a thump.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:27

KP to the catch in a mighty leap
Hit hit the turf with a thump
England got that wicket pretty cheap
An KP will be sporting a bump.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:28

clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:29

gone, lovely bowling from Swann, completely does Matthews in the flight, doesn't get to the pitch and just chips it straight to Strauss at short mid-wicket. Big wicket for England, end of a good battling innings from Matthews.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:29

Great stuff from Swanny Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:30

Matthews bites the dust
That's the Sri Lankan innings pretty bust
Soon England will come to bat
who'll score for england, will it be Matt?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:30

A patient and excellent 57 from Matthews though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:31

Its a bit early to be on the beer and making poetry biltong Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:33

Herath can swing a bit here so its important to knock him over early before he causes any damage.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:33

I thought it might be a good idea
to communicate this way today yeah
Otherwise its all to predictable
this way you don't know what's possible

Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:35

hawkeye shows Swann actually held that one back a fair bit, lovely stuff Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:36

You go for it then biltong Very Happy

It was lovely bowling for sure MfC
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:39

Prasad played that off the pad
it left him just a tad
Swann gave it a little air
and then gave Prasad the one eyed stare.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:50

not quite sure about Bresnan's round the wicket approach to Herath

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:53

there you go, switches back to over the wicket, and Herath plays a pretty lousy slog and nicks through to Prior Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 6:55

Thank god I finally got one prediction right this year Laugh they wont make 300 this time

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:06

Swann with a lovely delivery to get rid of Lakmal and end with a four-fer. Anderson deserves a pat on the back there, a superb bit of fielding from him off the last ball of the previous over had kept Prasad off strike.

SL all out for 275, England will be delighted with their efforts today, particularly after Randiv and Matthews had looked so comfortable early on clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:09

Sri Lanka will be a little disappointed
Their tail seemed to be a little disjointed
They would have wanted a lead of three hundred
alas it seems they have blundered
the opportunity to take a decent lead
Now wouldn't that have been a treat
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:23

but Sri lanka are ahead
and the english seem to dread
an innocuous spinner
somehow a match winner
a two hundred and seventy five lead
may be all they need

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:33

very much England's session that, a bit surprised SL didn't give the new ball to Herath really, give him a couple of overs just before lunch...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:49

"And I'm bemused by all the hype around Chandimal, who played one of the worst shots of anyone in the first test (and given some of the shots played that's saying something). Talented? Sure, but so was Mark Lathwell... [/quote]
Mike, I have to say that was very unmike to say the least. 1 bad shot, and there is the judgement?
Chandimal has played only 3 test matches, and in his debut test in SA, doubling up as a wicket keeper, he started with a half-century. Remember he was dealing with Philander and Morcle, and a certain DW Steyn then. Also, have you had a look at the CB series downunder? He was Lanka's batter of the series there. And he scored an ODI ton in England as well.
So I think its not just tallent, but also a decent temprament as well, although there is room for improvement. And the lad is only 22!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:56

A fine morning's work from England. Angelo did fight hard, but Swann was at his best. Terrific from the England spinner, Sri Lanka needed a bit more I felt. The 2 England openers then delt with the short session without much alarm, and I thought may be Mahela should have given an over to any of his spinners?
Anyways, I think this time England are going to bat with sense, and put up a decent lead for their bowling unit to work with.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 7:59

Saw last few wickets. Well done lads for sure. Watched highlights yesterday and Butcher and Stewart felt another bowler was needed. Not sure I completely agree with them as England's problem in the Tests has not been with the bowling, but the batting.

A good session none the less for England. Let's hope for a good day with the bat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:01

England should look for 350+, a leas of 75+ would be pretty handy on this wicket you feel.

don't think I agree with Stewart and Butcher there LK, I think England's side is pretty well balanced here, Patel did a good containing job with the ball yesterday, and IMHO if you bowl a side out for 275 batting first you've done well, so not sure the extra bowler is needed.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:03

The lack of a proper second spinner could really show in the second innings

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:04

Exactly MFC.

I couldn't see their logic there at all. I think they were basing it around Jayawardene's innings. I think it is silly. As you rightly say, bowling a side out for 275 in the first innings is not bad going at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:06

There is still pressure on England here in regards to time but they are in a good position, well they will be if the batters finally fire Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:07

but Jayawardene plays spin so well! didn't have any problems with Swann until he got out, nor did he have any problems in the previous test against either Swann or Panesar. Odd comment!

Just think England's team looks to have a much better balance than it did in the first test.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:08

very confussed- did we get em out for about 30 today!!!

wow good start

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:13

going for a 500 plus in our first innings!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:22

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking mysti Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:24

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:26

msp83 wrote:
"And I'm bemused by all the hype around Chandimal, who played one of the worst shots of anyone in the first test (and given some of the shots played that's saying something). Talented? Sure, but so was Mark Lathwell...
Mike, I have to say that was very unmike to say the least. 1 bad shot, and there is the judgement?
Chandimal has played only 3 test matches, and in his debut test in SA, doubling up as a wicket keeper, he started with a half-century. Remember he was dealing with Philander and Morcle, and a certain DW Steyn then. Also, have you had a look at the CB series downunder? He was Lanka's batter of the series there. And he scored an ODI ton in England as well.
So I think its not just tallent, but also a decent temprament as well, although there is room for improvement. And the lad is only 22!. [/quote]

Apologies. Possibly I was being unfair. I just found all the clamours for him in place of Matthews misplaced. Matthews is IMO a fine player, who showed it again in the first dig. Chandimal's time will surely come if he is as good as you say he is.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:28

Anyway back to the cricket. England have done about as well as they'd have wanted in the morning session, but worryingly the pitch is turning significantly already. England must get a lead. Any lead.

Will they regret not picking Panesar? I think Patel will get a bit of turn anyway, the problem is whether he finds his length. But honestly? If England get a lead of 50+ Swann and the seamers should ensure they're not chasing over 100.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:30

cook is the nuts- him strauss kp and trott on there own will be getting 400 plus on here

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:32

I don't think they will Mike. I think Bresnan has done a good job coming in and taking a wicket. Like you say Patel will get some turn on the ball and Swann was showing some good drift too.

I just hope they can put on a good total. There are runs to be had on this pitch. I would be happy with 300. Don't want to be too ambitious.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:32

Patel can do Panesars job of keeping things tight at one end so i dont think that England will miss him too much. Swann will come into play in the second innings for sure. Be very interesting to see how England take on Herath.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:40

Hearth is gonna be running home to his mum tonight after what cook and strauss do to him today!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:47

that doesn't look anything like a cyberman Headscratch

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:47

I don't think England will be missing Monty so much in the 2nd innings. With this side, they are more balanced, and if the track has some help, Swann will be a real handful himself. Also, Patel is better than an average parttimer, and if the track has help, he can keep things quite, build pressure, and even chip in with a wicket or so.
But for all that to matter, England has to continue to bat with sense and build up a decent lead.
Also, they have to be beware of a certain KC Sangakkara, who rarely let a home series go all that quietly

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:48

that catch didnt even carry- problem with old commentators is is that they cant see

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:52

A very important session this for England, if these two survive then England will be in good shape.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 4 Apr 2012 - 8:54

Cook surviving a very dificult half-chance of Herath, he has to make his luck count.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next