The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers)

+4
TwisT
psycho-gooner
VoiceOfTheVoiceless
Ent
8 posters

Go down

WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers) Empty WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers)

Post by Guest Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm

I have just watched WrestleMania XXVIII. So much expectation. The first hour for me was a drab. The Sheamus squash. I was utterly stunned. Immediate reaction was what a disgrace. Bryan who has done amazing. Has got followers. Yes signs in their droves. His first WrestleMania is a 18 second squash. I just couldn't believe it. Randy Orton v Kane. The one match I was looking forward to. Again this was a let down for me. It was a clean victory for Kane yes, but it lacked in intensity. Seems that the build up exceeded the match itself. Such a shame. No RKO. I was disappointed. I didn't watch the Divas match or Big Show v Cody Rhodes. The 5 on 5 match was a let down. Crap finish. I was starting to get peed off with the £14.95 I outlayed.

End of an Era. HHH v Undertaker Part 3. First impression was HHH looked in the good nick. Undertaker came down. I dug the whole 'Dark Knight In Armour' look. He came to the ring. With JR on commentary you knew this was their last match and something special. Undertaker pulled back his hood to reveal a biker look if I have ever seen one. Looks like he put some pounds on because I think he got to 280 at one point and was billed at 299. This match actually delivered. Both guys past their peak and after the lazy match they had last year, I thought they gave everything possible. HBK was brilliant as ref. Superkicking Taker which I thought was immense and a special mention for Charles Robinson's spot. I thought the match ending was brilliant. Similar to WrestleMania XXVI where HBK gave into the power of Taker and HHH doing the same, but the grin of the Taker. I thought the match played out beautifully. When all 3 guys walked up the ramp and hugged, I actually shed a tear. The respect for each other. It was pure emotion, pure theatre.

CM Punk v Chris Jericho. I was so glad this was the 2nd to last match. Jericho has been amazing in the build up to this match. Yes in the dark he looks like Dynamo from The Running Man, but it has grown on me. The match was fantastic. Jericho was in great shape and actually surpassed my expectations. He really gave his all against Punk and it was great to see Punk stretched to the limits. I thought the match ending was fantastic. Even though I wasn't over the moon with the pre-match stipulation. Took the edge of the match.

Finally....

The Rock v John Cena

The music. It delivered on every level. I was getting goosebumps. The crowd were just pumped. I was pumped. Hell I wish I had some Reebok Pumps. Cena. Just wow. How over was he? He got a bigger reaction than The Rock. Just amazing. I know I have been critical by the build up, but the first 10 minutes of the match Cena was just over in a way I never expected. Rock being the bigger star and being in Miami. I expected heat like Cena had in Chicago in MITB. Cena was over. No Rocky chants. It brought me a smile. All the 'We Hate Cena' and 'Cena Sucks' signs, he drew cheers and boos and it was just 'wow' Cena controlled the match from start to finish. It was the best Cena performance I have seen. He truly delivered. He held the fans in the palm of his hand and it was like nothing I have seen. A Rock victory was actually surprising. Even though I called it, many on this board started to convince me otherwise. Mike Chioda was brilliant in the match. Cena stole the show. Proved his worth to me and his must have new respect from past, current and new wrestling fans.

His performance alone was well worth the £14.95

Thank you John.

Back to top Go down

WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers) Empty Re: WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers)

Post by Ent Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm

The music. It delivered on every level. I was getting goosebumps. The crowd were just pumped. I was pumped. Hell I wish I had some Reebok Pumps. Cena. Just wow. How over was he? He got a bigger reaction than The Rock. Just amazing. I know I have been critical by the build up, but the first 10 minutes of the match Cena was just over in a way I never expected. Rock being the bigger star and being in Miami. I expected heat like Cena had in Chicago in MITB. Cena was over. No Rocky chants. It brought me a smile. All the 'We Hate Cena' and 'Cena Sucks' signs, he drew cheers and boos and it was just 'wow' Cena controlled the match from start to finish. It was the best Cena performance I have seen. He truly delivered. He held the fans in the palm of his hand and it was like nothing I have seen. A Rock victory was actually surprising. Even though I called it, many on this board started to convince me otherwise. Mike Chioda was brilliant in the match. Cena stole the show. Proved his worth to me and his must have new respect from past, current and new wrestling fans.

You must have been watching a different card from the rest of us.

Ent

Back to top Go down

WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers) Empty Re: WrestleMania XXVIII - The Card That Nearly Died (contains spoilers)

Post by Guest Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm

Ent wrote:

Do you speak for everyone then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:

Theres a thread up with plenty of people slagging cenas performance and the chat box chat was less than complementary.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Ent wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:

Theres a thread up with plenty of people slagging cenas performance and the chat box chat was less than complementary.

Not sure what people expect. The top half of the card was Poopie. Cena for me delivered. I ain't here to agree with the masses.

Back to top Go down

Post by VoiceOfTheVoiceless Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

If you thought Cena got a better reaction than The Rock your mad.... The crowd was 'going bananas' to quote the late Gorrilla Monsoon....Yes Cena played the heel role well at times however his in ring ability lacks a considerable amount and for me just held this match back from been a classic...its annoyed me that Cole refered to it as the biggest match of all time I would choose to see Austin v Rock over Cena anyday of the week....I think all last nights event showed is that the 'Old Guard' (Taker, HBK, HHH, The Rock) upstaged the new breed with the exception of the Punk v Jericho match and proved how weak the current crop are and they need to raise there game big time....because lets face it this would of been as big a flop as Wrestlemania 9 without the big names of the Attitude Era

VoiceOfTheVoiceless

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:28 am

Cena was soooo over to the point they were chanting ''f*** you Cena''

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:58 am

VoiceOfTheVoiceless wrote:If you thought Cena got a better reaction than The Rock your mad.... The crowd was 'going bananas' to quote the late Gorrilla Monsoon....Yes Cena played the heel role well at times however his in ring ability lacks a considerable amount and for me just held this match back from been a classic...its annoyed me that Cole refered to it as the biggest match of all time I would choose to see Austin v Rock over Cena anyday of the week....I think all last nights event showed is that the 'Old Guard' (Taker, HBK, HHH, The Rock) upstaged the new breed with the exception of the Punk v Jericho match and proved how weak the current crop are and they need to raise there game big time....because lets face it this would of been as big a flop as Wrestlemania 9 without the big names of the Attitude Era

Austin and Rock are from the same era for crying out loud!!

Cena is limited to what he can in ring wise like Hogan was in his day in 80's. Rock technically is better than Cena and has more moves in his repertoire. You have to understand that Cena is part of an era by where so many moves have been outlawed due to the amount of injuries wrestlers were suffering. Austin, Benoit, Edge all suffered broken necks, HBK and Hart had careers cut short due to injuries and HHH and Taker suffered long term injuries so you can understand why the WWE has gone soft.

The match itself Cena did so much of the donkey work and I think it is shocking people think it was that crap. The Rock was knackered after 10 minutes. He even managed to nearly botch the Rock Bottom at the end.

And yet Cena gets stick for the match?

I think your mad if you think Rock got a bigger reaction than Cena over the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
VoiceOfTheVoiceless wrote:If you thought Cena got a better reaction than The Rock your mad.... The crowd was 'going bananas' to quote the late Gorrilla Monsoon....Yes Cena played the heel role well at times however his in ring ability lacks a considerable amount and for me just held this match back from been a classic...its annoyed me that Cole refered to it as the biggest match of all time I would choose to see Austin v Rock over Cena anyday of the week....I think all last nights event showed is that the 'Old Guard' (Taker, HBK, HHH, The Rock) upstaged the new breed with the exception of the Punk v Jericho match and proved how weak the current crop are and they need to raise there game big time....because lets face it this would of been as big a flop as Wrestlemania 9 without the big names of the Attitude Era

Cena is limited to what he can in ring wise like Hogan was in his day in 80's. Rock technically is better than Cena and has more moves in his repertoire. You have to understand that Cena is part of an era by where so many moves have been outlawed due to the amount of injuries wrestlers were suffering. Austin, Benoit, Edge all suffered broken necks, HBK and Hart had careers cut short due to injuries and HHH and Taker suffered long term injuries so you can understand why the WWE has gone soft.

The match itself Cena did so much of the donkey work and I think it is shocking people think it was that crap. The Rock was knackered after 10 minutes. He even managed to nearly botch the Rock Bottom at the end.

I think your mad if you think Rock got a bigger reaction than Cena over the match.

I am sorry but I totally disagree with this for a number of reasons:

Cena is limited to what he can in ring wise like Hogan was in his day in 80's.

Pretty much everyone in the 80's were limited move wise. It is a totally different era, and this is you first failed comparison in your reply. You cannot compare Hogan era to Cena era, because athletically and technically the modern era is superior. Cena has only slightly improved as a wrestler from his sneaker pumping days. As a figure head of the company he should strive to achieve more in the ring. He seemed to do less than 15 moves in that match, which included submissions. If anything the Rock was hampered by wrestling Cena - not the other way around.

You have to understand that Cena is part of an era by where so many moves have been outlawed due to the amount of injuries wrestlers were suffering

No again, you are making a comparison and getting the wrong conclusion. Moves being outlawed and Cena not having a high list of moves are totally unrelated. Every other wrestler gets on ok in the modern era, with said moves being outlawed (there isn't that many). Why can't Cena? Besides, I wouldn't trust Cena doing a powerdriver anyway.

The match itself Cena did so much of the donkey work and I think it is shocking people think it was that crap

The Rock had a role to perform in that match. To make Cena seem dominant and come out with a lucky win. He did the "donkey work" for this reason only. But in the finer points of the wrestling art he was superior. How he sold the bearhug was great. Compare this to Cena being rammed into the steps and then making a comeback 15 secs after, with no selling. That, and his lack of moves, is what annoys me the most about Cena.

I think your mad if you think Rock got a bigger reaction than Cena over the match

The front row, normally populated by celebrities, in front of the hard camera were packed with Cena fans. For the reason of appearing that it was 50/50 support. They were shouting lets go Cena/cena sucks ironically. If you listen to the crowd noise however, it is obvious Rock got a bigger reaction, and one that sustained during the match.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

TwisT wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I am sorry but I totally disagree with this for a number of reasons:

Cena is limited to what he can in ring wise like Hogan was in his day in 80's.

Pretty much everyone in the 80's were limited move wise. It is a totally different era, and this is you first failed comparison in your reply. You cannot compare Hogan era to Cena era, because athletically and technically the modern era is superior. Cena has only slightly improved as a wrestler from his sneaker pumping days. As a figure head of the company he should strive to achieve more in the ring. He seemed to do less than 15 moves in that match, which included submissions. If anything the Rock was hampered by wrestling Cena - not the other way around.

You can compare styles. I disagree you can only disqualify a comparison based on the current shape and fitness of the current stars. Comparisons are made with other sports, so comparisons can made. I think Hogan and Cena are similar in terms of the limits of their abilities. It was the craze for the WWE in the 80's before it was replaced by Bret Hart and HBK because they decided to try and catch up with NWA/WCW in terms of in ring quality.

You have to understand that Cena is part of an era by where so many moves have been outlawed due to the amount of injuries wrestlers were suffering

No again, you are making a comparison and getting the wrong conclusion. Moves being outlawed and Cena not having a high list of moves are totally unrelated. Every other wrestler gets on ok in the modern era, with said moves being outlawed (there isn't that many). Why can't Cena? Besides, I wouldn't trust Cena doing a powerdriver anyway.

Cena used a belly to belly suplex. Doesn't do that anymore. The Throwback. doesn't do that anymore. If his moveset has become restricted this will affect any performance. Cena is bulky and rigid most times, but for what he is and how is I think makes him a top peformer. His leg drop from the top rope for me I amazed is still used. I thought he was going to break the Rock's neck last night when it was botched.

The match itself Cena did so much of the donkey work and I think it is shocking people think it was that crap

The Rock had a role to perform in that match. To make Cena seem dominant and come out with a lucky win. He did the "donkey work" for this reason only. But in the finer points of the wrestling art he was superior. How he sold the bearhug was great. Compare this to Cena being rammed into the steps and then making a comeback 15 secs after, with no selling. That, and his lack of moves, is what annoys me the most about Cena.

I agree there that yes it is frustrating he shows lack of moves. I am highly surprised that no-one within the WWE has never tried to work him behind the scenes to get him over in more of a wrestling aspect. I think Cena did well. I will always rate the Rock above Cena in terms of the finer art of wrestling, but I think Rock was much more solid at SS than Mania. The example I would think was the improvement Orton made from 2002 to 2004. massive strides.

I think your mad if you think Rock got a bigger reaction than Cena over the match

The front row, normally populated by celebrities, in front of the hard camera were packed with Cena fans. For the reason of appearing that it was 50/50 support. They were shouting lets go Cena/cena sucks ironically. If you listen to the crowd noise however, it is obvious Rock got a bigger reaction, and one that sustained during the match.

The Rock got a massive reception during his entrance, but during the match the amount of Cena related chants was numerous. That more than anything surprised me. I found it difficult to hear Rock chants at a similar level.

I respect all the points you made, I just saw certain things differently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:36 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:

He can speak for me. Cena is very poor in the ring and only has good matches against people who are better than him and can carry the match

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm

Ent wrote:

Shocked

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

Sara wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:

He can speak for me. Cena is very poor in the ring and only has good matches against people who are better than him and can carry the match

What an insightful comment

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:54 pm

Im feeling really sorry for Cena at the min (and believe me thats hard for me to do considering he's worldwide famous and a very rich man), you could almost see the way he was on raw, you guys dont give a fu$k about what ive come out to say so whats the point. I think he handled the crowd very well on Raw and did a nice job of putting over the yes chant as well.

Some of you guys are complete hypocrites, in the time when you want everyone and everything to be "Real", we all knew and the crowd certainly knew Lesnar was coming back, and so in that case there was no need for Cena to "sell it".

Give the guy a break its just become a bandwagon now, I'm 90% certain Cena would of said to Vince or HHH or even Doc Hendrex how do you think/should react to Lesnar.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Sara wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
Ent wrote:

What an insightful comment

LK,

I have genuine interest in how you actually came to this conclusion?

Cena was awful in the build up. Granted a couple of his promo's were a good throwback to his old days, but his attitude towards The Rock was nothing short of disrespectful and not what you would expect from the company guy.

As for the match, Rock easily got the louder pops. His ovation was superb and he kept them going all night. When the camera panned out, you can could see that the fans chanting 'Lets Go Cena/Cena Sucks' were the same people. Thats not chanting for your hero, that's taking the pee.

His ring work was shoddy at best, i counted 6 botches. And the first Rock Bottom he took was awful to watch, yet Rock sold the AA superbly.

During the opening stare down Rock was directing him......that's right DIRECTING Cena, telling him when to turn his head and to look out at the crowd.

His attitude when he came to give Rock the people's elbow said it all. He didn't like the finish so he was gonna no sell it, there was no cockiness, no arrogance about delivering his opponents signature move, just the sad face of a man having to put someone he didn't like over. Absolutely disgraceful. Like The Rock or not but you can't say he has been nothing but professional and respectful to the company that made him.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

Agreed Smile

Sara

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:00 pm

bretmeharty wrote:
Some of you guys are complete hypocrites, in the time when you want everyone and everything to be "Real", we all knew and the crowd certainly knew Lesnar was coming back, and so in that case there was no need for Cena to "sell it".

Sorry Bret, but you're wrong there i think.

90% of people i would imagine expected Lesnar to go after Taker. Not Cena. And even though people knew Lesnar was there how many times have people been backstage before and never showed up? He could've laughed it off and at least given some reaction to Lesnar arriving, yet he didn't. Just looked gormlessly into the crowd.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

KB,

Firstly I never praised the build up. The build up was crap and both were crap during the build up. Cena was just too serious and on another planet and The Rock could just about remember his name as he kept saying it enough.

During the match like I stated Cena was getting the more chants. Whether it be Let's Go Cena, Cena Sucks, urine Off Cena either way that is reaction and he got the bigger reaction. I can't recall many Rocky Chants or Boots to Asses or Fruity Pebble or Lady Parts. The crowd more than anything were into the match for most parts.

Yes Cena didn't put in his cleanest performance, but for a change he actually did the donkey work and that for me deserves a hell of lot of respect given he has virtually squashed the entire WWE card! Doing the donkey work for someone who has knackered halfway through takes a lot of doing. I find it amazing that people are quick to blame Cena. It's like dancing with an un-co-ordinated granny! Share the flak!

Yes the finish was shoddy and he didn't do himself any favours, but it wouldn't hurt for people acknowledge the good things he done!

BTW I wonder why you think he is my Hero?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

I have always been alright with Cena, never disliked him but never been a huge fan either. He's a nice guy (as we all know and are told constantly) and does love WWE. However, all this feud with the Rock has done has make me really dislike him and get angry with him, mainly through some of the disrespectful actions. It is his annoying way of talking to the crowd and grinning like an idiot when its inappropriate to do so, its like he belittling what is happening.

I was thrilled that Rock won as I thought he would lose. Even more thrilled that Brock is back, I always was a huge fan of his. Very Happy

Sara

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

bretmeharty wrote:Im feeling really sorry for Cena at the min (and believe me thats hard for me to do considering he's worldwide famous and a very rich man), you could almost see the way he was on raw, you guys dont give a fu$k about what ive come out to say so whats the point. I think he handled the crowd very well on Raw and did a nice job of putting over the yes chant as well.

Give the guy a break its just become a bandwagon now, I'm 90% certain Cena would of said to Vince or HHH or even Doc Hendrex how do you think/should react to Lesnar.

I can see your point bret but I think you are missing one important thing.....

People may not give a toss what Cena has to say, but it is there choice as paying customers to an event. It is the same as heckling.

On the other hand, Cena blatantly not giving the Rock the respect that the Rock gave him during Cena's promo; laughing and smiling and talking to a people in the crowd, was shoddy, unprofessional and childish.

Do you honestly believe people, paying customers, should give a toss, when Cena cannot even be bothered to give it to a fellow work colleague? Let alone one as well known as the Rock.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

King Beer wrote:
During the opening stare down Rock was directing him......that's right DIRECTING Cena, telling him when to turn his head and to look out at the crowd.

I picked up on that, Cena was staring at Rock when he should have been doing the same and taking in the crowd. I thought I saw Rock saying when to turn and what to do!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

sodhat wrote:
King Beer wrote:

I picked up on that, Cena was staring at Rock when he should have been doing the same and taking in the crowd. I thought I saw Rock saying when to turn and what to do!

I find that bizarre given the Raw after WM XXVII and they had the stare down he done it ok. I will check me recording for that spot.

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

TwisT wrote:
bretmeharty wrote:Im feeling really sorry for Cena at the min (and believe me thats hard for me to do considering he's worldwide famous and a very rich man), you could almost see the way he was on raw, you guys dont give a fu$k about what ive come out to say so whats the point. I think he handled the crowd very well on Raw and did a nice job of putting over the yes chant as well.

People may not give a toss what Cena has to say, but it is there choice as paying customers to an event. It is the same as heckling.

On the other hand, Cena blatantly not giving the Rock the respect that the Rock gave him during Cena's promo; laughing and smiling and talking to a people in the crowd, was shoddy, unprofessional and childish.

Do you honestly believe people, paying customers, should give a toss, when Cena cannot even be bothered to give it to a fellow work colleague? Let alone one as well known as the Rock.

He was trying to but with the chants of "Yes Yes Yes" amongst others, I think he decided to go with it and the way the crowd was who could blame him.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

bretmeharty wrote:
TwisT wrote:

He was trying to but with the chants of "Yes Yes Yes" amongst others, I think he decided to go with it and the way the crowd was who could blame him.

Pretty much everyone watching. Think about it - his reaction was a joke, a guy who beat the tripe clean out of him before his superman run has come back and is stalking the ring - why isn't cena concerned?

I know the lines between kayfabe and reality are being blurred but Cena has no idea when to do so.

I also enjoyed his 'I meant everything I said pre mania and I still mean it', then 5 seconds later saying he respected the rock (he said he didn't pre mania if you've forgotten'. His whole promo was a garbled mess and he should have just ignored the crowd and sold the moment.

How are wwe going to make a good video package now with cena just doing the goofy face during it?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down