The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy match-ups

3 posters

Go down

Fantasy match-ups Empty Fantasy match-ups

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

Over the past 30 years. Which fights would you like to see, and their results.

) Vitali of 6-7 years ago vs Tyson of 1986-89

2) Leonard vs Curry

3) DUran vs Pac

4) Pernell vs Floyd

5) Azumah vs Barerra

1) Tyson via sustained beating and tko in 10

2) SRL by late stoppage but not without some very hairy moments. Curry was that good

3) Duran as his defence and Pac;s wayward defence would result in a 9round KO

4) Pernell via extremely boring UD

5) Nelson via ko in 8 (in the e-match Nelson in 5.

Thoughts and more match-ups please.

azania

Back to top Go down

Fantasy match-ups Empty Re: Fantasy match-ups

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

2 things I don't agree with their is Duran vs Pac I couldn't see that lasting as long as 9 rounds Duran in 5 Pac has a very poor defence. Pernell to beat FMJ it would be a boring fight but would I would have FMJ by a couple of rounds. FMJ has the hand speed in his favour and although Pernell was as defencively good as anyone FMJ also would have the power advantage on his side. My dream fight would be Sugar Ray Robinson vs FMJ would take SRR to win on points.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:21 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:2 things I don't agree with their is Duran vs Pac I couldn't see that lasting as long as 9 rounds Duran in 5 Pac has a very poor defence. Pernell to beat FMJ it would be a boring fight but would I would have FMJ by a couple of rounds. FMJ has the hand speed in his favour and although Pernell was as defencively good as anyone FMJ also would have the power advantage on his side. My dream fight would be Sugar Ray Robinson vs FMJ would take SRR to win on points.

SRR would beat Floyd by wide UD. My all time dream would be SRR and Leonard. Both welters and both amazingly gifted. Although SRR rests on top spot due to his CV, I would take Leonard by close decision. I just think SRL was stronger mentally and more varied in that he could mix it up. Hated the git with a passion, but he was that damn good.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm

Can't see Tyson stopping Vitali. In fact, I see this being a frustrating night for Tyson, in the same way as his fights with Smith and Tucker went (although Vitali would certainly do more fighting than Smith did). I think Tyson wins on points in a workmanlike (rather than spectacular) performance. He builds up an early lead as he comes out of the traps first, but Vitali handles him fairly well after the first four or five rounds, methinks. Tyson by something in the region of 116-112.

Leonard and Curry are dead even until the championship rounds, when Leonard finds one of his trademark late bursts to snatch a stoppage.

Duran overwhelms Pacquiao anywhere after four or five rounds. Pacquiao's energy will keep him in it until then I think, but I doubt he'd be able to prevent Duran walking him down eventually and, if it turns to that kind of brawl, there's only one winner in my opinion. Duran by TKO in the eighth or ninth round.

I think Mayweather may edge Whitaker, actually. Sweet Pea had a habit of his best work being too subtle for his own good, and I think Mayweather, if he boxes a little more aggressively (which he has done, in general) I think he catches the judge's eyes more and nicks a narrow decision.

Nelson versus Barrera is almost impossible to call. I'd probably just about back Nelson to nick it though, possibly on a late stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm

azania wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:2 things I don't agree with their is Duran vs Pac I couldn't see that lasting as long as 9 rounds Duran in 5 Pac has a very poor defence. Pernell to beat FMJ it would be a boring fight but would I would have FMJ by a couple of rounds. FMJ has the hand speed in his favour and although Pernell was as defencively good as anyone FMJ also would have the power advantage on his side. My dream fight would be Sugar Ray Robinson vs FMJ would take SRR to win on points.

SRR would beat Floyd by wide UD. My all time dream would be SRR and Leonard. Both welters and both amazingly gifted. Although SRR rests on top spot due to his CV, I would take Leonard by close decision. I just think SRL was stronger mentally and more varied in that he could mix it up. Hated the git with a passion, but he was that damn good.

Contoversial. Couldn't see SRL beating SRR for me he is the greatest been watching a lot of his fights lately and he never really had any weaknesses to his game. He was beaten but when you fight as often and as regularly as the guys at his time did you are always going to have off nights and slip ups. SRL was a strange fighter never really seemed to love the sport but to come out of long layoffs like he did and produce the performances he did was spectacular.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

Contoversial. Couldn't see SRL beating SRR for me he is the greatest been watching a lot of his fights lately and he never really had any weaknesses to his game. He was beaten but when you fight as often and as regularly as the guys at his time did you are always going to have off nights and slip ups. SRL was a strange fighter never really seemed to love the sport but to come out of long layoffs like he did and produce the performances he did was spectacular.

I hear what you're saying. The passage of time has lowered by total contempt for SRL. Man he was amazing. Yes Robbo could do it all, but I think SRL was a better inside fighter and that would be the difference maker. Plus SRL knew how to steal rounds and throw flashy combos to catch the judges eye. Close and controversial (deserved imo) decision to Leonard.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:35 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Can't see Tyson stopping Vitali. In fact, I see this being a frustrating night for Tyson, in the same way as his fights with Smith and Tucker went (although Vitali would certainly do more fighting than Smith did). I think Tyson wins on points in a workmanlike (rather than spectacular) performance. He builds up an early lead as he comes out of the traps first, but Vitali handles him fairly well after the first four or five rounds, methinks. Tyson by something in the region of 116-112.

Leonard and Curry are dead even until the championship rounds, when Leonard finds one of his trademark late bursts to snatch a stoppage.

Duran overwhelms Pacquiao anywhere after four or five rounds. Pacquiao's energy will keep him in it until then I think, but I doubt he'd be able to prevent Duran walking him down eventually and, if it turns to that kind of brawl, there's only one winner in my opinion. Duran by TKO in the eighth or ninth round.

I think Mayweather may edge Whitaker, actually. Sweet Pea had a habit of his best work being too subtle for his own good, and I think Mayweather, if he boxes a little more aggressively (which he has done, in general) I think he catches the judge's eyes more and nicks a narrow decision.

Nelson versus Barrera is almost impossible to call. I'd probably just about back Nelson to nick it though, possibly on a late stoppage.

I thik the ref would pull Vit out. Too brave for his own good. He never had the best defence but his chin would see him through many rounds. His jab wasn't fast enough to deter Tyson and I see Tyson slipping past them to land his combos. Vit enjoyed a tear up also and that would be a huge error against Tyson.#

As for Curry/SRL, I tend to agree.

Nelson MAB would be fun to watch but Nelson's greater punch would be the difference.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down