The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European player of the year

+15
SecretFly
Notch
Gibson
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
RuggerRadge2611
gowales
Mickado
HammerofThunor
sugarNspikes
ChequeredJersey
Morgannwg
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Adam D
19 posters

Go down

Who should win?

European player of the year Vote_lcap0%European player of the year Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap11%European player of the year Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap2%European player of the year Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap26%European player of the year Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 14 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap17%European player of the year Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 9 ]
[ 1 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap6%European player of the year Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap6%European player of the year Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap15%European player of the year Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
European player of the year Vote_lcap11%European player of the year Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 54

European player of the year Empty European player of the year

Post by Adam D Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

ERC EUROPEAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2012

With 16 clubs now chasing the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup, ERC, the governing body of European club rugby’s two tournaments, is beginning the search for the outstanding player who will follow in the footsteps of Sean O’Brien and become the ERC European Player of the Year 2012.

The Leinster Rugby back row won the prestigious title in 2011 after helping his province clinch the Heineken Cup with a dramatic second half recovery against Northampton Saints at the Millennium Stadium. He followed Munster Rugby’s Ronan O’Gara as ERC European Player of the Year.

Now the search is underway again to find the 2012 winner. A longlist of 15 contenders, based on the performances of players from the 44 clubs in both the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup competitions this season, will be submitted by ERC to the Judging Panel to use in their review of the knock-out stages.

While the initial longlist recognises the performances from the Pool stages only, the Judging Panel will have the option to consider players who make outstanding contributions in the quarter-final and semi-final matches for their shortlist and final selection.

The Judging Panel for this season’s accolade is made up of: Stuart Barnes (Sky Sports), Raphael Ibanez (Heineken Cup Ambassador), Stephen Jones (Sunday Times), Emmanuel Massicard (Midi Olympique) and Gerry Thornley (Irish Times).

A shortlist of 5 players will be announced following the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup semi-finals (27/28/29 April) and the ERC European Player of the Year winner for 2012 will be selected after the London Finals Weekend of 18/19 May.

In 2010, ERC launched the highly acclaimed ERC15 Awards, recognising the efforts of a number of outstanding contributors to the first 15 years of European club rugby competition. Two-time Heineken Cup winner Ronan O’Gara was the inaugural recipient of the ERC European Player Award, as the best player over the first 15 years of the two tournaments.

For the 2010/11 season, ERC moved to present the honour to the best player of the season from the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup, selected by a panel of five experts in conjunction with the 44 clubs from the two competitions with supporters also given the opportunity to vote on the shortlist.

Last year’s shortlist comprised: Jamie Heaslip (Leinster Rugby), Isa Nacewa (Leinster Rugby), Sean O'Brien (Leinster Rugby), Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais Paris), Soane Tonga'uiha (Northampton Saints)

Please find attached the ERC Player of the Year logo

Longlist of contenders for the ERC European Player of Year 2012 based on Pool stage performances:

Mouritz Botha Lock Saracens
Mike Brown Full Back Harlequins
Antoine Claassen Back Row Brive
Thierry Dusautoir Back Row Toulouse
Owen Farrell Centre Saracens
Stephen Ferris Back Row Ulster Rugby
Wesley Fofana Centre ASM Clermont Auvergne
Gethin Jenkins Prop Cardiff Blues
Jonny Sexton Out half Leinster Rugby
Greig Laidlaw Scrum half/Out half Edinburgh Rugby
Timoci Matanavou Wing Toulouse
Ignacio Mieres Out half Exeter Chiefs
Ben Morgan No 8 Scarlets
Ronan O’Gara Out half Munster Rugby
Netani Talei No 8 Edinburgh Rugby

ERC EUROPEAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR LONGLIST FORM GUIDE

Mouritz Botha – Rugged heart of a Saracens pack that won twice on the road to set-up home quarter-final. Played five times and scored a vital try in last round triumph in Treviso.

Mike Brown – Scored five tries to equal Quins’ Heineken Cup record for a campaign. Always a threat with the ball in hand, three of his tries were against Toulouse, including a double in the win in France.

Antoine Claassen – Drove Brive into the quarter-finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup for the second successive season with his superb defence. Scored a vital try in the Pool-clinching victory over Sale Sharks in Round 6 and superb leader throughout.

Thierry Dusautoir – The current IRB World Player of the Year led Toulouse into the last eight yet again, figuring in five of the six Pool matches. One of the toughest tacklers in Europe.

Owen Farrell – Mature beyond his young years, he was twice a match winner in the Pool stages (v Biarritz and Ospreys) and played with exceptional poise. Man of the Match against Benetton Treviso.

Wesley Fofana – Sensational new strike force in the star-studded Clermont back division, he won the Man of the Match award for the home win over Leicester Tigers, scoring two tries. Claimed three tries in all in the Pool stages.

Stephen Ferris – Ever-present in the Ulster pack as the Irish province made it back-to-back quarter-finals for the first time. Picked up two Man of the Match awards and scored a try in the away win in Aironi. His thundering tackling was a feature.

Gethin Jenkins – Didn’t miss a game for the Blues as they reached the quarter-finals. Cornerstone of the pack for both club and country and a massive asset at the breakdown with his skills over the ball.

Jonny Sexton – Highly influential in Leinster’s vital back-to-back wins over Bath and also earned a draw with a last-gasp penalty in Round 1 at Montpellier. An impressive total of 63 points from five starts.

Greig Laidlaw – Magnificent and ice-cool match winner with over 60 points in steering Edinburgh to the last eight for only the second time – and the first time Scotland has staged a home quarter-final.

Timoci Matanavou – Equalled Toulouse record for Euro tries in a season with seven in Pool stages in debut season in Heineken Cup. Scored match winning brace of in Pool winning victory at Harlequins.

Ignacio Mieres – Scored 59 points in the Amlin Challenge Cup Pool stages to steer the Chiefs into the knock-out stages of a European competition for the first time in their history.

Ben Morgan – Power to burn, but his all-round skills also blossomed as the season progressed. Played in five Pool matches and scored a vital try in Round 1 win over Castres Olympique.

Ronan O’Gara – Played in all Pool matches as Munster won six from six for the first time. He is now the tournament’s leading points scorer with the most appearances. Won two Pool matches with red zone drop goals.

Netani Talei – Scored three tries in five Pool outings and picked up two Man of the Match awards. His ball carrying was as important to Edinburgh’s success as Laidlaw’s boot.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

European player of the year Empty Re: European player of the year

Post by rodders Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

Stephen Ferris for me, he was absolutely awesome in the group stages, particularly against Clermont and the Tigers at Ravenhill.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

Can't believe Isa Nacewa isn't in the running he would get my vote. But as he isnt there I'm going for Ferris - immense in the group stages especially inflicting Leicester Tigers biggest ever European loss.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

Should go to Fofana, Sexton or Laidlaw in my opinion. The first two are more likely though I guess.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

I said O'Gara for leading Munster on their new HC charge
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I said O'Gara for leading Munster on their new HC charge
That's a good call actually. Munster have surprised a few people with their 100% record and storming form in the HC (though we shouldn't really be that surprised!). ROG has been fearless by winning games at the death. HC rugby seems to bring out the best in him.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:00 pm

Put in Brown (completely biased). Only watched the English games and I'm having trouble separating the Jeff games from HEC. But my vote doesn't really count for anything so who cares thumbsup

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 03 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

He followed Munster Rugby’s Ronan O’Gara as ERC European Player of the Year.

Slight mistake there, ROG wasn't player of the year, he was the player of the previous 15 years. The outhalf of the losing semi finalists would hardly be the best player that year.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

The people who did this list should do the 6 nations one. All these players have been massively important to their teams. It's a tough call between Ferris and O'Gara to me, they've both been so inspirational! But in the end i've gone for Ferris.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

Talei for me. He has been outstanding in every game he has played for the Burgh. Ferris against Clermont was a sensational performance.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:37 pm

Yup, got to be Talei - he seems to live for contact, and his last 20 minutes against London Irish (Murrayfield game) showed some of the most destructive running I've ever seen.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 04 Apr 2012, 5:44 am

Talei for me too - he's been the difference between them making and not making the qfs

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

Sexton for me.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

This is the comments section where everyone votes for the guy from their club right? Seems that way Wink

Stephen Ferris does deserve to be up there, he was sensational in the hme games against Leicester and Clermont. But I've actually gone and voted for Mike Brown. He was just on the best form of his career in the group stages, or at least it seemed that way. An incredible hot streak.

And to be fair to the jocks, Talei was ripping it up too. So one of those three but I've gone for Mike Brown.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

In Europe, the master has proved himself so..... so far. Ronan O'Gara

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

Ronan O'Gara?? Nonsence fly he kicked 2 drop goals and that was it. The guy is a chancer.

Has DOD hijacked your account?? Wink

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:15 am

5 from 5 by his boot. Thats simple, clinical rugby.

Nuff said - as the "nuff said" affectionados say Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

Disagree fly Munster have been carried by one man.......

ZEEEEEEBBBBBBOOOOOO!!!!!! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

Mike Brown for me.

As a Saracens fan cannot understand why Botha and Farrell are there. They did their job but were simply part of an efficient team performance.

In my opinion the only player from Saracens who would have deserved to be in this list is Ben Spencer.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:51 am

I like Zebo...I have liked him.... I might like him in the future... but if this 'English' over-sell on him doesn't ease off a tad, I might begin to see more weakness than strength in talking about him.

He's a young, enthusiastic rookie who, to paraphrase O'Driscoll, is "far from the finished article yet". Let's not put undue stress on him by claiming he's Ireland's Cipriani! Wink

O'Gara for me, for the moment, Rodders..... but Europe has a long way to go in terms of truly competitive clashes (can't think why the European player of the year should even really be discussed yet.)

Who did you pick btw?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

SecretFly wrote:Who did you pick btw?

I'll give you 3.... actually 1 guess..... Whistle

It's an obvious one but Stevie Ferris for me. Hes been absolutely phenomenal for Ulster, a one man wrecking machine. Tigers away maybe wasn't his best but other than that he has been outstanding.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

Yeah...I wouldn't throw Ferris off a shortlist Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:02 am

roddersm wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Who did you pick btw?

I'll give you 3.... actually 1 guess..... Whistle

It's an obvious one but Stevie Ferris for me. Hes been absolutely phenomenal for Ulster, a one man wrecking machine. Tigers away maybe wasn't his best but other than that he has been outstanding.

So did you consider a comparison with the other candidates, rodders, or just go with your home bias? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

ROG. Just... class

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:So did you consider a comparison with the other candidates, rodders, or just go with your home bias? Whistle

ASBO even without the candidate list I'd have picked Ferris. Based on the games I watched, which wasn't all of them, he has been the standout by a distance... just like SOB last season. Henry has been impressive for Ulster too.

In terms of other players: Sexton, Nacewa, Kearney and Madigan have impressed me but Leinster have rotated a fair bit.

O'Connell has been awesome and I've been very impressed by Gordgodze for Montpellier and BJ Botha. Coughlan, O'Mahoney and Ronan too for Munster.

The Zebo comment was tongue in cheek... Wink..... well sort off.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:11 am

Muldoon for Connacht too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

roddersm wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:So did you consider a comparison with the other candidates, rodders, or just go with your home bias? Whistle

ASBO even without the candidate list I'd have picked Ferris. Based on the games I watched, which wasn't all of them, he has been the standout by a distance... just like SOB last season. Henry has been impressive for Ulster too.

In terms of other players: Sexton, Nacewa, Kearney and Madigan have impressed me but Leinster have rotated a fair bit.

O'Connell has been awesome and I've been very impressed by Gordgodze for Montpellier and BJ Botha. Coughlan, O'Mahoney and Ronan too for Munster.

The Zebo comment was tongue in cheek... Wink..... well sort off.....
Oh, I know, I was just pulling your leg. Not exactly a broad representation of club's countries on your list tho? It's nice to let one player from a club outside of Ireland on to your list, so! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:38 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Oh, I know, I was just pulling your leg. Not exactly a broad representation of club's countries on your list tho? It's nice to let one player from a club outside of Ireland on to your list, so! Wink

I can only call it as I see it Wink

Most of the games I watched involved, and were won by, Irish teams so my list represents that. Is that bias? I actually dont think so.

I've watched all of Clermont, Leinster and Munsters games... the strongest teams probably so I'm comfortable enough that I haven't missed too much of significance in terms of standout players.

Toulouse have lost twice(?), Quins capitulated in Connacht, Tigers and Saints didn't make the QF's and were hammered by Ulster and Munster so there hasn't been that much consistancy in some of the traditional top sides.

One side I haven't watched much of is Saracens.

Overall Ferris has honestly stood head and shoulders above everything else I've seen over the group stages.

Last edited by roddersm on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:38 am

Fofana, he was the difference between Tigers winning and losing away in Clermont. Simply fantastic skill set. Mike Brown a close second as he's been playing out of his skin in the HEC this year.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 10:46 am

ROG for adding drama with his 2DGs to win 2 games after 80mins.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down