The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*James Taylor for England* Season Thread

+5
Aidan11
guildfordbat
JDizzle
Carrotdude
Duty281
9 posters

Go down

*James Taylor for England* Season Thread Empty *James Taylor for England* Season Thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

The answer to England's no.6 problem may be lying in the Nottinghamshire squad - James Taylor, aged 22 and currently averages 50.38 in 64 first-class matches. Nottingham are home to Worcestershire tomorrow at Trent Bridge, good luck Mr.T!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

*James Taylor for England* Season Thread Empty Re: *James Taylor for England* Season Thread

Post by Carrotdude Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm

A golden duck and unbeaten 100 in the university match was an interesting start!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

*James Taylor for England* Season Thread Empty Re: *James Taylor for England* Season Thread

Post by JDizzle Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:48 am

He didn't want to waste his runs against Luffbra! He is saving them for when it matters this season!

An interesting sidenote, the opening batsmen for Loughborough was the nephew of one Chris Tavare!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 05 Apr 2012, 9:14 am

JDizzle wrote:

An interesting sidenote, the opening batsmen for Loughborough was the nephew of one Chris Tavare!
Surprised Loughborough's first innings isn't still going on!

JD to a James Taylor thread - like a moth to light. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

Just 4 from him today.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 05 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

JD to a James Taylor thread - like a moth to light. Very Happy

I am sure I will be dedicating most of my time on this forum to this thread from now on!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aidan11 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

Ben Stokes will be a much better option at 6 for England.

Aidan11

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 06 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Ben Stokes will be a much better option at 6 for England.

Any particular reason/reasons why? As a huge, understatement of the year, James Taylor fan I completely disagree with you Very Happy , but why do you think Stokes would offer a better option than Taylor, or even Bairstow, Buttler, Patel, Morgan or Bopara? I'd prefer Stokes to Bopara, Buttler and Patel and this point in time, but I think Taylor and Bairstow may be better options at the moment.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

13 for Taylor yesterday.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Aidan11 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

JDizzle wrote:

Any particular reason/reasons why? As a huge, understatement of the year, James Taylor fan I completely disagree with you Very Happy , but why do you think Stokes would offer a better option than Taylor, or even Bairstow, Buttler, Patel, Morgan or Bopara? I'd prefer Stokes to Bopara, Buttler and Patel and this point in time, but I think Taylor and Bairstow may be better options at the moment.

Taylor got plenty of runs for Leicester - in the second division. I feel that the real test will be how he does with his new county. He hasn't had a great start with them but that means nothing at this stage. I would like to see him have a full season with Notts before judging his England potential.

Stokes is a player in the mould of Botham & Flintoff. Scores runs quickly and is not frightened to hit the fastest of bowlers over the ropes. He can bowl too which gives England more options.

Aidan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

Aidan11 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:

Taylor got plenty of runs for Leicester - in the second division. I feel that the real test will be how he does with his new county. He hasn't had a great start with them but that means nothing at this stage. I would like to see him have a full season with Notts before judging his England potential.

Stokes is a player in the mould of Botham & Flintoff. Scores runs quickly and is not frightened to hit the fastest of bowlers over the ropes. He can bowl too which gives England more options.

His record for Leics. last season was actually not that special. However, he scored big FC runs for England Lions and some runs against the Unis to boost his FC stats. I think he is a good England prospect - though perhaps not at No. 6 where I would rather have Bopara for now.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

To score two thousand run seasons, before the age of 20 is pretty special though. Has Stokes even had one thousand run season yet? And whilst not quite getting to his lofty best last year, he still scored 900 odd runs in about 13/14 CC games and averaging a shade under 40 is still pretty decent. Not too mention he had another very good List A season.

It has been almost more difficult to bat in Division 2 these last few seasons with the Tiflex ball making average bowlers look better than they are, and helping favour the medium pace seamer to swing it everywhere, see Masters and Linley, his record his still impressive for one so young. Far better than any of his contemparies.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

I don't wish to be overly offensive to any Leics supporters who might be looking in but, to be fair to Taylor, it should be emphasised that until now he has been playing for a truly awful county side.

It is always an added difficulty for a young batsman to carry the batting expectations for a continually losing and very poor team.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm

Let's see where he, and the other potential candidates, are at the end of this summer. I feel we may have some surprise candidates for the number 6 slot emerging (unless Bopara makes it his own this summer).

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

I wouldn't rule Patel out.

Tend to agree with Nasser Hussain who said on Sky this morning: ''He's not a great cricketer but he's a good cricketer.''

A second slow bowler supporting Swann and capable of scoring runs is a useful addition. Not totally convinced but those who wrote his Test obituary before he even made his debut were certainly premature.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 07 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

Of course, this will all be irrelavent when Taylor makes a triple century on Test match debut. zen

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I wouldn't rule Patel out.

Tend to agree with Nasser Hussain who said on Sky this morning: ''He's not a great cricketer but he's a good cricketer.''

A second slow bowler supporting Swann and capable of scoring runs is a useful addition. Not totally convinced but those who wrote his Test obituary before he even made his debut were certainly premature.

I guess he and Bopara could swap around to provide a 5th bowler and 7th batsman depending on conditions. Personally though I think we only need the four main ones while they are so good so pick the 6 best batsmen plus Prior. Patel isn't that. Bopara isn't either imo but he deserves his shot this summer to try and prove that he's the man. Strauss and Bell will be eager for runs this summer too which I'm sure they'll get.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

32 for Taylor today.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Most overrated Batsman in the country?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

Hardly. He has failed in two games this year. And it's not as if people are destroying bowling attacks around the country.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

He's on an upward curve - 4, 13, 32. To be fair it really isn't easy batting anywhere right now, over 50 wickets today so far, loads of low totals. He does need to prove himself this year otherwise he is in danger of 'doing a Denly'. Long, long way to go.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:58 pm

He is the top scorer for Notts in this innings! And he has only played three innings this season, give him a chance.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:00 pm

Compared to other young batsmen I have yet to see him do anything truly incredible, don't get me wrong I want him to succeed but I wouldn't put him ahead of Vince et al at the moment.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:04 pm

I think having two thousand run season before the age of 21 can be counted as exceptional. Have Vince, Stokes or Bairstow had two thousand run seasons between them?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:07 pm

Stokes furthering his credentials with two wickets. Be interesting to see how he fares with the bat.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:10 pm

It is fantastic to see Stokes bowling again. I did hear rumours that after the injury he got last year, he might never be able to bowl how he used to. But if he is back to his best to with the ball, he is the nearest thing we have to an all rounder which Flower and Strauss seem keen to try and get in the side.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

Depends whether we want a batting all-rounder or a bowling all-rounder.

Stokes would fit the batting all-rounder slot, but Chris Woakes would be a better shout for a bowling all-rounder.

I do like Stokes, though. I think a big season here might see him knocking on the England door.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

It does look like they are trying to fit a man to bat 6 and fill in with some overs here and there. That is just going on who they have picked, and how they have balanced the side and Stokes fits that mould better than Woakes. He also has the unfortunate advantage of Chris being injured, so if Stokes starts well then he will be at the forefront of the selectors minds.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 13 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

37 today. Getting better. Wink

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:23 pm

On the way up!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 31 May 2012, 8:38 pm

Time to resurrect this, he's just hit a magnificent 115* off 77 balls in the CB40 against Hants, some absolutely superb shots and magnificent power that I did not know he was capable of.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 31 May 2012, 10:13 pm

timely innings as well with KP having just retired

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 31 May 2012, 10:28 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 01 Jun 2012, 12:35 pm

Taylor's innings last night was the best I've seen him play. It might make me reconsider my thoughts on his suitability for number six and one-day cricket as well.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down