The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales XV for Australia 1st test

+17
Pot Noodle Miner
Dontheman
gowales
Noble-Surfer
maestegmafia
CurlyOsp
RubyGuby
ieuan
bedfordwelsh
ChequeredJersey
slartibartfast
Looseheaded
Cymroglan
jay_welsh
Biltong
GavinDragon
idris
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Lee Byrne go on the Australia tour?

Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_lcap76%Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_rcap 76% 
[ 22 ]
Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 29

Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Empty Wales XV for Australia 1st test

Post by idris Sat 7 Apr - 9:53

First topic message reminder :

Wales must field their strongest XV against Australia and must start the tour with a win.

Losing Roberts in the midfield is a massive blow. He is an all round massive asset in midfield. I would definitely not risk giving Ashley Beck his first cap starting against Australia at 12. If he makes mistakes he will be slaughtered by fans and press alike. Most people on here seem to think Jon Davies is a better 12 than 13. If that is the case then boy do we have some player here, because he is a pretty damn good international 13.

Scott Williams is a good 22 player and this could be his chance to start. Personally I think Wales need to keep as much of their starting XV as possible. Having watched numerous highlights of the Grand slam and world cup I must say how impressed I am with the relationship Jon Davies and George North have on the field. North to Davies for his 2nd try v Ireland in the Aviva and Davies to North for the final try of the match. North comes in looking for work and this might be the opportunity to have a little reshuffle, but keep those two together.

I feel sorry for Lee Byrne, especially after watching his interview on sport Wales last night. However it is not a bad thing that an outstanding Leigh Halfpenny is keeping Byrne out of the starting XV although I do feel Byrne could have at least made a bench spot during the Six Nations. He is playing well for Clermont, they are in a better league and doing well in the Heineken Cup. Byrne has Lions aspirations and is apparently as fit as he has ever been. One thing that concerns me massively is that Leigh Halfpenny's only apparent weakness is in the air. I am not sure if it's his height or the fact he hasn't always played full back. Against France, Wales didn't win a SINGLE ball in the air. That was shocking. I have always though Halfpenny is a devastating finisher and a bigger asset on he wing. He is in the mould of Shane Williams as far as looking for work is concerned so it's not like he's hung out to try on the wing. That is his best position.

I believe my starting team against Australia makes sense and certainly needs to be our best.

15. Lee Byrne
14. Leigh Halfpenny
13. George North
12. Jon Davies
11. Alex Cuthbert
10. Rhys Priestland
9. Mike Phillips

8. Toby Faletau
7. Sam Warburton / Justin Tipuric (depends on injury)
6. Dan Lydiate
5. Ian Evans (outstanding)
4. AWJ (continuity)
3. Adam Jones
2. Matthew Rees
1. Gethin Jenkins

16. Paul James
17. Ken Owens
18. Luke Charteris
19. Ryan Jones
20. Rhys Webb
21. James Hook
22. Scott Williams

I think a Davies / North centre pairing is a chance worth taking and could be frightening and Lee Byrne has a point to prove. The bench picks itself to a degree although I prefer Rhys Webb to Lloyd Williams.

idris

Back to top Go down

Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales XV for Australia 1st test

Post by maestegmafia Mon 16 Apr - 11:18

HERSH that has nothing to do with the make up of the squad...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales XV for Australia 1st test - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales XV for Australia 1st test

Post by HERSH Mon 16 Apr - 11:20

maestegmafia wrote:HERSH that has nothing to do with the make up of the squad...!

Nor does half the posts on here, yet you target the Englishman, Hmm????
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 16 Apr - 11:32

Martyn Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great player in the past but now way past his best, he will hang up his boots for good in 2 weeks time.

Better options at 7:

Warburton, Tipuric, Shingler, Turnbull, Navidi, Jon Edwards, Jon Thomas!!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 16 Apr - 11:35

Martyn should have retired last season.

But I bet he gets called up for the Baa baas game so he gets that 100th cap.

I can't help but think thats why his hanging around.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 16 Apr - 11:41

HERSH wrote:Martyn should have retired last season.

But I bet he gets called up for the Baa baas game so he gets that 100th cap.

Its a nice gesture but i'm sure even Martyn would agree it would not be of a benefit to the Welsh team going forward. The Babaas game will be a game where we will see who the starting test team will be and who will go as part of the touring party. We need to see Tupiric step up to fill the shoes of Warbs, Edwards and Turnball can all be checked out in that game. If we play Martyn we learn nothing of these player. Martyn has got 99 caps to his name, how many rugby players can say that. 100 is a nice round number, but his time has gone and he was a wonderful player and he doesn't need the gesture of a 100th cap to cement his legacy further. Nice idea but it shouldn't happen. OK

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 16 Apr - 11:44

Can't see Wales fielding a full strength team against the Baa baas, thats just a rumour to sell more tickets by the WRU
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 16 Apr - 13:21

HERSH wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:HERSH that has nothing to do with the make up of the squad...!

Target the Englishman for what.

All post above are on topic yours is not. It doesn't matter what nationality you are you are still off topic...!

I personally object to your persistent xenophobic rational and list of excuses.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 16 Apr - 13:33

maestegmafia wrote:
HERSH wrote:

Target the Englishman for what.

All post above are on topic yours is not. It doesn't matter what nationality you are you are still off topic...!

In your opinion!

I don't think established internationals should be selected for this tour as they need a break.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2