The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June

+10
gowales
kiakahaaotearoa
TycroesOsprey
Dontheman
HERSH
Effervescing Elephant
MonkeyOwain12
GavinDragon
Biltong
idris
14 posters

Go down

How many wins will Wales get out in Australia in June?

Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_lcap18%Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_lcap45%Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 5 ]
Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_lcap36%Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 11

Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Empty Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:41 am

Wales came reasonably close to Australia in the third place playoff and again in December. Hopefully the extra steps Wales have made plus the extra experience will get Wales at least 1 win from the 3 test series in June.

It will be interesting to see. Does Gatland play his best XV 3 times in a row or does he blood and test as many other future stars as possible?

I would prefer to see a mixture. Either go all guns blazing in the first or third test and mix it up inbetween. The good news now is that all available players should tour as there are no longer any golden oldies in our starting XV who need to stay home and "rest".

With only the Blues in the Heineken cup latter stages we should have few injuries or fatigued players by the time the tour comes round. Warburton and Halfpenny are probably our 2 most important players right now so I hope they can make it unscathed until then.

The tour will be an excellent chance to finally give Jason Tovey a chance. He has every right to at least be given a run after the Priestland shocker on Sat. I personally would like to keep Preistland as the main man, for now, but Tovey deserves a go. We can see what Harry Robinson has to offer. Will be interesting to see if Tom Prydie can ever re-surface? He is still young and he is very tall so he may become a potent weapon once he fills out a bit, who knows?

I think one of the most important things Wales need to do right now is give as much experience as possible to long term replacements for the likes of Adam Jones and Gethin Jenkins. We always worry without Adam and we really need more quality depth in that area. Lock is also something we need to work on. When AWJ, Bradley Davies, Charteris, Ian evans and Ryan Jones are all fit it seems like there is nothing to worry about, but it's amazing how fast we can get depleted.

Another reason this tour could prove so important is because of the Lions in 2013.

The Lions management are already lining up Warren Gatland as their coach and I can already see Sam Warburton head and shoulders above the rest to be a test team starter and Lions captain. George North is virtually sealed as one of the test wings and I'm sure if Wales win the GrandSlam then there will be a big Welsh contingent touring.

Australia will also be aware of this and will want to field their strongest possible sides in June.

idris

Back to top Go down

Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Empty Re: Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:49 am

Not wanting to question your motives Idris, but wales is still busy winning the Six Nations, have already won the Triple crown, and you are already looking toward the australia tour.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the success of this tournament first mate.

Live in the moment, the future will eventually arrive. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June Empty Re: Wales v Australia - 3 test tour - June

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:50 am

Oh, you also forgot to put the 0 option in your poll.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:52 am

tbh GS and 6n or not its on the whole not important in real terms....how many 6n teams have won a WC? 1

your rite in what your saying biltong we should not get ahead of ourselves the tournament is not won and we have two tought games left....but in my opinion if we do win ill obviously be happy....but i want to see us push on and start beating SH sides consistently home and away...that is the greater challenge

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:55 am

No issue with that GavinDragon, it is just a case of when you keep on focusing on the future you lose sight of the present.

June will come around soon enough, and looking at this welsh side, they have greater things to accomplish, but in the meantime...
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:56 am

Spot on Biltong...twice.

I am looking forward to it though, a great way to end my year in Aussie...

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:57 am

biltongbek wrote:Oh, you also forgot to put the 0 option in your poll.

I did put 0 actually! where has it gone? !!?!

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:58 am

yes i agree we need to focus...but i bet if we do win world opinion will state that we won due to the poor standard of the comp...eng in transition....french new coach...ireland over the hill etc

the only way you earn respect is if you play ad beat the best....and the best teams play in a different competition

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:02 am

GavinDragon wrote:yes i agree we need to focus...but i bet if we do win world opinion will state that we won due to the poor standard of the comp...eng in transition....french new coach...ireland over the hill etc

the only way you earn respect is if you play ad beat the best....and the best teams play in a different competition

Sorry mate, but world opinion means nothing when you look at the record books. And yes beating the best is the ultimate goal, however it starts with the local tournaments.

You first get your provincial/regional/club teams to win and build depth.

Then you win the six nations

And then you run with the big dogs.

We struggled for 10 years to get a team to win the super rugby, only when that happened did we win the trinations again and the world cup.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:06 am

There is something very wrong with my psyche. Came on this poll with every intention of giving at least 1 victory to Wales but as soon as i saw there was no zero option that's the only option i wanted. Need to give myself a good talking too!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:07 am

Carpe Diem wrote:There is something very wrong with my psyche. Came on this poll with every intention of giving at least 1 victory to Wales but as soon as i saw there was no zero option that's the only option i wanted. Need to give myself a good talking too!
Laugh where's your optimism mate? I am used to seeing welsh fans being optimistic not pessimistic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

I'm more interested in the Wales v Baa-baas game

The Barbarians have played against Wales eight times notching up six wins.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:12 am

biltongbek wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:There is something very wrong with my psyche. Came on this poll with every intention of giving at least 1 victory to Wales but as soon as i saw there was no zero option that's the only option i wanted. Need to give myself a good talking too!
Laugh where's your optimism mate? I am used to seeing welsh fans being optimistic not pessimistic.

I'm English! Some deep rooted issues there i believe!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:13 am

Sorry. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:16 am

S'alright! Very Happy
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:10 am

Australia v Wales surely Cool

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:37 am

biltongbek wrote:Not wanting to question your motives Idris, but wales is still busy winning the Six Nations, have already won the Triple crown, and you are already looking toward the australia tour.

No offence biltong but Wales aspirations are higher than just the championship, I said before the six nations started that winning a grand slam was not the target this year winning a series in Australia is. Gatland has already stated that Australia is the big thing this year and I agree with him. If we hadnt won a grand slam for 28 years or if the world cup had been a disaster then focussing on the six nations would be a good thing. Since weve won a couple of slams in the last few years and did ok in the world cup the next step in this teams development is winning in the Southern hemisphere. There are three blocks of rugby this year we have already done well in the six nations even if we lose to France. So for the fans to start thinking about the next and most important block of Rugby is understandable. Wales fans have the same aspirations as the team, and that is to build a squad that is capable of challenging for the world cup in 2015. We are one of the top three sides in the North (not much difference between Ireland, France and Wales) so taking the next step is now paramount.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 9:16 am

Wales have so far in this 6N improved on their results in recent years. They have acquired a mental resolve that has been missing perhaps in recent times or perhaps the bounce of the ball has gone their way for a change or a combination of the two.

I disagree with your assessment to build for the future with a younger squad. How much younger can you get than North?! The best way to build for the future is by winning. Wales had the perfect opportunity last year to gain some much needed confidence and beat Australia. To say those matches were dead rubbers is to ignore the important psychological boost of beating the top teams. Look at the self belief England acquired in 2002 and indeed in 2010.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:03 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Not wanting to question your motives Idris, but wales is still busy winning the Six Nations, have already won the Triple crown, and you are already looking toward the australia tour.

No offence biltong but Wales aspirations are higher than just the championship, I said before the six nations started that winning a grand slam was not the target this year winning a series in Australia is. Gatland has already stated that Australia is the big thing this year and I agree with him. If we hadnt won a grand slam for 28 years or if the world cup had been a disaster then focussing on the six nations would be a good thing. Since weve won a couple of slams in the last few years and did ok in the world cup the next step in this teams development is winning in the Southern hemisphere. There are three blocks of rugby this year we have already done well in the six nations even if we lose to France. So for the fans to start thinking about the next and most important block of Rugby is understandable. Wales fans have the same aspirations as the team, and that is to build a squad that is capable of challenging for the world cup in 2015. We are one of the top three sides in the North (not much difference between Ireland, France and Wales) so taking the next step is now paramount.

Tycroes, the point I am making is you are allready lloking towards June, when currently you are busy with the six nations.

I agree Wales should set goals, nothing wrong with that, the question is this: What do you think Warburton and his men are focusing on right now?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 10:57 am

But you were directing the original question at the poster Headscratch

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

Yes, then I was questioned by Tycroes. Wink

Keep up mate, we ain't going to wait for you. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

Well bil the team will be focussed on the Italy game but the management have got one eye on the summer tour and I think thats a good thing. Assuming we beat Italy then our target for the six nations has been achieved even if we dont get the slam. Whilst Im sure the boys will then focus on the French game, the bigger picture is the tour to Aus. Ive been consistent in saying I would swap the grand slam for a series win in Australia and I have a feeling the management would to.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

biltongbek wrote:Yes, then I was questioned by Tycroes. Wink

Doh i need to keep up with the times

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

Why aren't all the options available? The most likely one is missing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:34 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:Well bil the team will be focussed on the Italy game but the management have got one eye on the summer tour and I think thats a good thing. Assuming we beat Italy then our target for the six nations has been achieved even if we dont get the slam. Whilst Im sure the boys will then focus on the French game, the bigger picture is the tour to Aus. Ive been consistent in saying I would swap the grand slam for a series win in Australia and I have a feeling the management would to.

I can accept that. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

gowales wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Yes, then I was questioned by Tycroes. Wink

Doh i need to keep up with the times

no worries mate, I get a lazy eye this time of the afternoon and don't always read with enough attention. thumbsup

Or maybe I am just lazy this time of the afternoon. Headscratch
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:47 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:Ive been consistent in saying I would swap the grand slam for a series win in Australia and I have a feeling the management would to.

Surely you have to have something before you can swap it for something else?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

Its a statement of importance luckless. We have won about 6 slams in my lifetime and loads of triple crowns/championships, but never won a series in the Southern Hemisphere unless you count Argentina. Im not bothered about the Slam to be honest. great fine if we win it, but I want a series win in Australia, I want a win over the All Blacks, I want us to build for the RWC in 2015 even if that means sacrificing results along the way to get there.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

So you want a series win and a win against the ABs but you also want to build for the RWC in 2015 and you´re prepared to sacrifice results along the way?

Then I imagine the former will be very difficult to achieve and the latter is very hard to bank on. A far better policy is to try to win every game you play. Difficult but you have a better chance of completing those two distinct goals.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

A series win in Oz and a win against the All Blacks are building blocks towards that goal kia. The six nations is not, werve won it before and we will win it again. Its about pushing the boundries and taking the team to a place it has never been before. A mans reach must ever exceed his gain or whats a heaven for? as Browning would have put it.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:48 pm

So are you saying sacrificing results in the 6N? I´m just not clear on that part of what you said mate. Sacrificing results is not building in my opinion.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:51 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Its a statement of importance luckless. We have won about 6 slams in my lifetime and loads of triple crowns/championships, but never won a series in the Southern Hemisphere unless you count Argentina. Im not bothered about the Slam to be honest. great fine if we win it, but I want a series win in Australia, I want a win over the All Blacks, I want us to build for the RWC in 2015 even if that means sacrificing results along the way to get there.

Suddenly I feel left out. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

He´s talking about beating those sides so it´s a good thing to be left out of that mate! Hug

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:He´s talking about beating those sides so it´s a good thing to be left out of that mate! Hug

It makes me feel marginalised, as if we don't matter. Sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:So are you saying sacrificing results in the 6N? I´m just not clear on that part of what you said mate. Sacrificing results is not building in my opinion.

Really? what did Graham Henry do in last years tri nations? what did Jake White do in the build up to 2007? did they not sacrifice the tri nations for the bigger prize? Whether we win the grand slam or not is immaterial, winning in Australia is the goal for this year.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

Pls can you add a zero option for the poll? Thanks

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:So are you saying sacrificing results in the 6N? I´m just not clear on that part of what you said mate. Sacrificing results is not building in my opinion.

Really? what did Graham Henry do in last years tri nations? what did Jake White do in the build up to 2007? did they not sacrifice the tri nations for the bigger prize? Whether we win the grand slam or not is immaterial, winning in Australia is the goal for this year.

Tycroes just so you know, I was never happy with sacraficing tests.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Why aren't all the options available? The most likely one is missing.

Sorry SafeAs but 4 wins from 3 tests is logically impossible and therefore highly unlikely Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Why aren't all the options available? The most likely one is missing.

Sorry SafeAs but 4 wins from 3 tests is logically impossible and therefore highly unlikely Wink
Laugh What a reposte!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:

Well you´re right. We wisely gave Oz the poisoned chalice in the last game. No team ever won the 3N and the RWC. But even though we sent a rotational looking team to SA we wanted to win in Brisbane. Moreover, the 3N last year ended two weeks before the World Cup started. Difficult to build your team in two weeks. You´d think or at least hope your team is built by then. We´re talking 3 and a half years out from the World Cup. That´s building but I don´t agree there should be sacrificing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

I don't think sacrifice is the correct term. When has any side ever taken to the field with the intention of losing/not playing? Teams might take some fixtures less seriously than others is I think the best way of describing it.

I think one of the best ways of building is win, win and win. A belief and taste for success needs to be instilled to best prepare sides for the big occasions imo.

Personally though I disagree with this concept of "building" as I think it overcomplicates and devalues and I doubt that the players on the day are consciously focused on building or preparing for games ahead, they're just playing. That's what you do, you play what's in front of you and try your best to overcome it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:20 pm

Knowsit, sorry mate but there is a marked difference when you send a team with a forward pack that has 160 caps, and 150 of those caps are between two players and 10 from the rest.

And you do that againt the all Blacks.

You don't go with the intent to lose. but you realistically know it ain't likely you are gong to win either.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:28 pm

We used four flyhalves in our last RWC campaign. How do you build for that? The ugly duckling turned into a beautiful beaver but that´s more good fortune than planning. There´s no way you can prepare for injuries. But what you can do is build a team (including the bench) that has proven combinations and has a winning mentality and you hope that they make it through in one piece.

But building for the World Cup means you´re not good enough to win at the moment in my opinion. You should aim to win any game no matter what or when it is. Simple.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 29 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Less than one win is an unacceptable return. It would be nice to win the series (2 outta 3), but I think that is unlikely down there.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down