The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

+105
stlowe
tatterd
Sin é
Gretgael1
Rory_Gallagher
Thomond
theslosty
Heaf
gelodge
boomeranga
majesticimperialman
Knowsit17
Full Credit
Pal Joey
Fernando
Aelandor
profitius
McLaren
ultra
Shifty
BamBam
Frankston
littlejohn
GloriousEmpire
Scrumdown
Cumbrian
t1000advancedprototype
markb
GLove39
valtrepkos
RDW
Breadvan
Good Golly I'm Olly
formerly known as Sam
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Exiledinborders
The Saint
trebellbobaggins
RDSguru
AFewTooManyKnocks
ospreysboyo
Hood83
Scoped
hodge
LeinsterFan4life
Scrumpy
SecretFly
B91212
The Boss
kiakahaaotearoa
blackcanelion
yappysnap
jimmyinthewell68
nth
MarcusHalberstram
JmD
funnyExiledScot
Geordie
daiglass63
RuggerRadge2611
Cadair Idris
flyhalffactory
Artful_Dodger
Taylorman
Cyril
Manu's Boxing Coach
pete (buachaill on eirne)
munkian
GunsGerms
rodders
RubyGuby
OzT
andy powells minder
HammerofThunor
George Carlin
fa0019
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
offload
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
Icu
kingjohn7
Pyleboy65
BlueNote
robbo277
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rugby Fan
Goosestepper
maestegmafia
dragonbreath
wayne
Feckless Rogue
Duty281
nathan
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
captain carrantuohil
jelly
wales606
109 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP Empty Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:00 pm

So, it's only a week to go before the first Lions test for 4 years.

Gatland has a host of injuries and a game against the Brumbies to manoeuvre while deciding the 23 players who will take to the pitch next Saturday.

Christian Wade and Brad Barritt have both been called up to cover for injury concerns over Jamie Roberts, Manu Tuilagi, Tommy Bowe and George North

My team for Saturday

1. Maku Vunipola
2. Tom Youngs
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. George North (Simon Zebo)
12. Jonathan Davies
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Richard Hibbard
17. Alex Corbisiero
18. Dan Cole
19. Richie Gray
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Ben Youngs
22. Owen Farrell
23. Manu Tuilagi/Stuart Hogg

Thoughts?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP Empty Re: Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by jelly Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

Wonder if O'Brien might get the bench spot ahead of Tipuric as he covers more options?

jelly

Back to top Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP Empty Re: Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:04 pm

jelly wrote:Wonder if O'Brien might get the bench spot ahead of Tipuric as he covers more options?

Probably, however, if things go wrong at the breakdown, Tipuric would have a huge impact of the bench - and you have the option to play two 7s in the second half if things go wrong

SOB could start over Croft, but I have a feeling Gatland favours Croft
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm

Do we really need cover for both props on the bench? Would rather have Tipuric AND Croft/O'Brien (whichever isn't selected for the starting XV) touching wood. Think the OP has the starting XV spot on, as it happens, although have a feeling that the brains trust may go with Heaslip at 8 instead.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:12 pm

wales606 wrote:So, it's only a week to go before the first Lions test for 4 years.

Gatland has a host of injuries and a game against the Brumbies to manoeuvre while deciding the 23 players who will take to the pitch next Saturday.

Christian Wade and Brad Barritt have both been called up to cover for injury concerns over Jamie Roberts, Manu Tuilagi, Tommy Bowe and George North

My team for Saturday

1. Maku Vunipola
2. Tom Youngs
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. George North (Simon Zebo)
12. Jonathan Davies
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Richard Hibbard
17. Alex Corbisiero
18. Dan Cole
19. Richie Gray
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Ben Youngs
22. Owen Farrell
23. Manu Tuilagi/Stuart Hogg

Thoughts?

I think you are spot on if Roberts is out, I am not a great fan of Faletau but Heaslip only showed up on 70mins. Toby tends to fumble the ball at the back of the scrum but so does Heaslip.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:26 pm

Heres my two pennies worth for next week:

Vunipola (Done all asked of him deserves the chance)
Youngs (None of the hookers claimed shirt the shirt Youngs went well today and Hibbard is good impact)
A Jones (Enough said)
AWJ (Really took his chance today)
POC (See A Jones)
Croft (Storming game another more than staked his claim and that's from a Lydiate fan)
Faletau (Just think he would compliment Croft and Warburton better)
Warburton (Good game today but we know he will start anyway)

Phillips (Quiet today but his experience will be vital)
Sexton (See A Jones

North (Zebo if North not fit)
JD (Even if Roberts is fit, he was outstanding today)
BOD (See A Jones)
Zebo (if North fit, if not Cuthbert)

Halfpenny (See A Jones)
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:27 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

I think you are spot on if Roberts is out, I am not a great fan of Faletau but Heaslip only showed up on 70mins. Toby tends to fumble the ball at the back of the scrum but so does Heaslip.

I can't comment on Faletua as I haven't seen enough of him but Heaslip is normally rock solid at the back of the scrum.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:28 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Do we really need cover for both props on the bench? Would rather have Tipuric AND Croft/O'Brien (whichever isn't selected for the starting XV) touching wood. Think the OP has the starting XV spot on, as it happens, although have a feeling that the brains trust may go with Heaslip at 8 instead.

You have to have a full front row on the bench. That was why they increased to 8 replacements.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:31 pm

Ah, thanks LT, I'm a bit behind the times there. Bit boring, that, since I think we only need three props to deal with whatever Australia's front row will offer. On the other hand, I can see our back row composition changing as the match changes/loses shape.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

What does Ben Youngs have to do in order to get a start in your teams? Phillips has only really played well against the Baa Baa's and i keep hearing the "oh he'll play better next game, we need him".

What ever happened to picking on form?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

He could always go for a 6/2 split on the bench which would give the option of having say SOB and Tipuric but doubt he will.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:34 pm

Didn't think Youngs done any better today when he came on though I admit Phillips was quiet today.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:35 pm

I would go for this:

The forwards:

Vunipola, Youngs, Cole, AW Jones, O'Connell, Croft, Tipuric, Heaslip.

The backs:

Youngs, Sexton, North, Davies, BOD, Cuthbert, Halfpenny.

Bench:

Jones, Corbisiero, Hibbard, Parling, Warburton, Phillips, Farrell, Hogg.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:36 pm

In theory, you might be able to get away with Youngs and Hogg as the two backs replacements, BW. Most of our other fit replacement backs will barely have got off the plane in any case and Hogg can cover 10-15. With two goal-kickers already on the park, I'd question the need for Farrell among the bench-warmers. As you say, I doubt that this will happen, but it could work.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:38 pm

cc,

Yeah fair one didn't think of that combination it could work but like said doubt it
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:39 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:He could always go for a 6/2 split on the bench which would give the option of having say SOB and Tipuric but doubt he will.

Considering the injury rate to backs at the moment, I think it would be a big mistake to do a 6/2 split

A scrum half and Farrell or Hogg. If it's Farrell there is no back 3 cover, if it is Hogg then we are in huge trouble if Sexton gets injured
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

I'm leaning more towards Youngs at 9. But Phillips is a big match animal.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

CC, you could have Croft as 2nd row replacement and have SOB on the bench, I wouldn't but it is an option

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:42 pm

Many would argue that we are up cack creek in a barbed wire canoe if Sexton gets injured in any case, wales606!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'm leaning more towards Youngs at 9. But Phillips is a big match animal.

FR,

I think that's what will get him the start, whoever starts will get my 110% support all I ask is that if they are having bit of a mare Gats has the crystals to make the big calls and sub whoever it maybe.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'm leaning more towards Youngs at 9. But Phillips is a big match animal.

It's fairly even on form

Phillips can raise his game, when he comes out to play he is the best in the world at what he does - he is possibly the best defensive scrum half and he will control a game.

Youngs probably doesn't suit Gatland's gameplan to start with - he could make a bit impact off the bench against tired legs - especially if he is coming on with Tipuric, Gray and Hibbard, that will really stretch tired Aussie legs
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:49 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Many would argue that we are up cack creek in a barbed wire canoe if Sexton gets injured in any case, wales606!

Farrell has played plenty of international rugby at 10 and I am sure he can manage to defend well in the 10 channel and give out the right passes and make the kicks - especially since Phillips can take over most of the running of the game from 9

Hogg on the other hand, has very little experience at 10 and there is potential for him to have a nightmare if he is suddenly put under international pressure at 10 - it is unfair on him tbh - there is also no 2nd 5/8th type at 12 to take the pressure off his kicking. JD2 can kick well left footed, but not move teams around the pitch like a flyhalf and neither can Hogg without experience kicking from flat.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:51 pm

I really think Farrell is getting more stick than he deserves, don't get me wrong if I see Sexton go down I will be thinking oh feck but I think Farrell would be ok when called upon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

I'm really worried about these injuries

Looking like we will be missing Roberts, North and Bowe. We can cope without Roberts, although Tuilagi is still carrying a knock, but losing our 2 first choice and on form winger is a huge blow.

JD2 and O'Driscoll have to start simply so we have some creativity in midfield that may be lacking without North and Bowe coming in off their wings, Halfpenny might have to hit the line again which could expose us to a clever Aus kicking game - especially with Cuthbert being questionable in an arial battle, hopefully Zebo will be ok with his experience at FB.

I hope Australia don't play Barnes, I have nightmares about that man as a Wales fan and he always seems to have an excellent kicking display when he pulls on a gold jersey.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:57 pm

On form I would pick JD and BOD anyway, though we know Doc will start if fit.

Bowe and North are losses if both out, if they are then I would go for Cuthbert and Zebo, Maitland was poor again today.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
On form I would pick JD and BOD anyway, though we know Doc will start if fit.

That is true

If Roberts is fit, BOD could be the one that loses out.

But I really doubt Roberts will be fit

Gatland has said that players have to take a full part in training this week to be included, Roberts won't.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

I think Roberts has probably been the most disappointing player of the tour. I wouldn't have him in the test team.

Healy was a very good player to lose. In my opinion the worlds best loosehead. But there's no worries there because the players that have stepped in at loosehead have been good.

Bowe and North are huge losses. I'd go with Zebo and Cuthbert. Maitland has not impressed me at all.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

So...Shane to start at 11?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:40 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:I think Roberts has probably been the most disappointing player of the tour. I wouldn't have him in the test team.

Healy was a very good player to lose. In my opinion the worlds best loosehead. But there's no worries there because the players that have stepped in at loosehead have been good.

Bowe and North are huge losses. I'd go with Zebo and Cuthbert. Maitland has not impressed me at all.

That is just a bizzare comment? Doc was very good today and has done well in all the games he has played in. Had he played as well for us in the 6n we would have strolled to a GS this year.

Don't really understand what your agenda is but your opinion has no basis in reality

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

I don't think Youngs was very good yesterday, certainly not enough to warrant dropping Phillps. Mikey was targetted a lot yesterday, but his passing was sound and he wasn't scragged. Youngs seemed to be setting up his runners a bit too and that, which is one thing Phillips gets criticised for.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm

With the team for Tuesday named does anyone else worry it means that SOB and Tipuric won't be on the bench on Saturday? I guess it means Heaslip starts anyway
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

wales606 wrote:With the team for Tuesday named does anyone else worry it means that SOB and Tipuric won't be on the bench on Saturday? I guess it means Heaslip starts anyway
I'd say whichever of them is subbed first (as long as it's not injury related) will be the sub,personally I'd go for SoB just cos of his versatility.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
wales606 wrote:With the team for Tuesday named does anyone else worry it means that SOB and Tipuric won't be on the bench on Saturday? I guess it means Heaslip starts anyway
I'd say whichever of them is subbed first (as long as it's not injury related) will be the sub,personally I'd go for SoB just cos of his versatility.

Unless it will be Dan Lydiate - the bench players for this game do look like the test bench at the moment.

I guess Gray and SOB/Tips can still make it if they only play the first 40/50 minutes
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

Can Lydiate play 8?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:Can Lydiate play 8?

Nope
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

That's why I'd have SoB somewhere in the 23,I think the backrow is so strong I wouldn't worry too much about whoever is picked but having a player who can cover all 3 positions in the event of an injury is pretty valuable.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

I think Lydiate is the bench man unfortunately. He did ok when he came on yesterday and I guess he's a good option to have if we have to shut up shop or if Warburton needs a bit more help in doing the dog work (which he probably will). I would like SOB just for the cover of three positions. I like Dan as a player, but I'd rather he wasn't there as people will want to over analyse his game.

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

If we're assuming it's Croft,Warburton,Heaslip what happens if either Warburton or Heaslip gets injured and Lydiate is on the bench?I'd much prefer Tipuric on the bench than Lydiate as he can play 7 and Warburton can move to 6 if necessary,at least that gives us some options.

If Lydiate is on the bench then Heaslip and Warburton have to play 80 minutes even if they aren't playing that well.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:14 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I really think Farrell is getting more stick than he deserves, don't get me wrong if I see Sexton go down I will be thinking oh feck but I think Farrell would be ok when called upon.

Why do you think this?

He has done nothing to prove you right. He had been little more than average at his best. We haven't seen him do anything to justify the opportunities he's been given.

I don't think people are being Harsh mate, Farrell is an incredibly unspectacular player.

He has proven time and again that he hasn't the temperament for crucial games, lets players get to him and when under pressure misses goal kicks that are in all honesty the only skill he has.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:21 am

BBC site saying North is rated at less than 50-50 for Saturday but that Bowe has an outside chance of being ready. No mention of Tuilagi and sounds like they still don't know what is wrong with Roberts.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

jelly wrote:BBC site saying North is rated at less than 50-50 for Saturday but that Bowe has an outside chance of being ready. No mention of Tuilagi and sounds like they still don't know what is wrong with Roberts.

Hopefully all will be fit. Worrying about North. Not only has he been outstandingly good, he has also been great to watch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:35 am

I think the Aussies will be massively relieved if he is out.

Wonder if they will be tempted to risk one of him and Bowe with a view to the other one being ready for the following week.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:06 am

jelly wrote:BBC site saying North is rated at less than 50-50 for Saturday but that Bowe has an outside chance of being ready. No mention of Tuilagi and sounds like they still don't know what is wrong with Roberts.

I guess the good news is that we can assume both will be fit for test 2?

Hoping that one of the two will be fit, who knows about Roberts though.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:12 am

James Robson has a slightly different view

"George is an exceptional character and has worked really hard," Robson added. "He is back running today. He is doing very well. An accurate assessment of his availability for selection will take place on Wednesday, but at the moment I think he is doing very well."

Jamie is a "grave doubt", Bowe is "unlikely", Tuilagi is fit.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:55 am

Has Croft ever played 2nd row for England or club.... Could he be seen as cover in that position by WG? I do like him but I would prefer to see

6 Tip (on form it should be him at 7 and SoB @ 6)
7 Warbs
8 Heaslip (don't mind if Faletau is started here either)

If that's the starting back three is there room for SoB and Croft on the bench (covering 6,7,8 and possibly 2nd row?)

Also Shane Williams:shock: - all credit to the guy and he'd be mad to turn down the offer but WTF are the coaching team thinking - smacks of jobs for the boy(o)s

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:19 am

BBC Website say North is less than 50/50, yet BBC radio report that he is doing well. Go figure.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:27 am

Well, I think I'd rather have North fit ahead of Roberts if we can only have one of them; nothing against Roberts I just think we are covered far better at centre than at wing.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

BOD jokes in his Telegraph column that Andy Farrell still works out in the gym and could probably do a job in the backline.

I do hope North is fit. He's become something of a talisman player on this tour.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:15 am

This morning's Times "understands" that he's out, but should be OK for the 2nd test.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:This morning's Times "understands" that he's out, but should be OK for the 2nd test.

Roberts or North?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next