The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic.

+4
doddieman
Bathman_in_London
George Carlin
Biltong
8 posters

Go down

British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic. Empty British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic.

Post by Biltong Tue 07 May 2013, 8:15 am

I thought it would be good to go down memory lane, seeing that the Lions are on their way to OZ soon. Here is the best highlights of the first test. I will do the other two as a series as well.

Lions vs Australia First test.

The first try for the Lions came in the 3rd minute when the Lions secured a line out ball, Wilkinson fed the ball to O’Driscoll, after a good offload by O’Driscoll from the ground, the Lions attack left, Robinson gets the ball stops for a wee moment which makes Latham hesitate he and easily completes the touchdown. Secret to this try, offload from the floor and quick hands by the backline.

In the 33rd minute O’Driscoll breaks the line by beating Larkham in the tackle, he offloads to Robinson who draws his man and passes the ball to James who only has about 15 meters to go to score in the corner. Again offloads and accuracy provides the space to score the try.

O’Driscoll magic. In the 41st minute, Brian O’Driscoll leaves everyone for dead as he breaks the line and runs 60 meters to score a try.

In the 50th minute, Henderson does an O’Driscoll, breaks right through the defences, gets caught 5 meters out, and after a quick ruck, Scott Quinnell, goes for the pick and drive and goes right through to score under the posts.

In the 65th minute Australia gets on the try card with a beautiful run from Andrew Walker who has quite a bit to do, he breaks a few tackles running on the angle and scores.

On the 69th minute after a good number of phases George Gregan sends the ball down the backline, Roff gives and inside pass to Nathan Gray.

In this test it was Brian O’Driscoll at his best. The catalyst that sparked the Lions and sent them on a four try scoring spree.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJfj1rILtHo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic. Empty Re: British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic.

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 8:29 am

I remember knocking on the door of the pub at 6.30am to watch the game. The pub was already packed. The rest is a blur!!!

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic. Empty Re: British and Irish Lions vs Australia June 30th, 2001: The O'Driscoll magic.

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 May 2013, 8:43 am

The Robinson try should be on every 'best step' highlight reel on YouTube from now until the end of time. Nobody else on the field could have done it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 07 May 2013, 10:09 am

What a game that was, I still can't believe the Lions managed to lose that series.

Sadly I'm not convinced there is a Robinson or young O'Driscoll in the current squad who could reproduce such magic.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Tue 07 May 2013, 10:22 pm

Completed scrums, offloads, centres that sidestep, its like a different game! Dont think I paid the lions any attention until 2005 so cheers for the recap.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Wed 08 May 2013, 12:13 am

Take a look at the teams for that game. Both teams full of legends!!
Mad too that BOD, Smith and Wilkinson are still playing at a top level too - says a lot about their reselience.

Teams:

Australia: C Latham, A Walker, D Herbert, N Grey, J Roff, S Larkham, G Gregan, N Stiles, J Paul, G Panoho, D Giffin, J Eales (capt), O Finegan, G Smith, T Kefu.
Replacements: M Foley, B Darwin, M Cockbain, D Lyons, C Whitaker, E Flatley, M Burke.

Lions: M Perry, D James, B O'Driscoll, R Henderson, J Robinson, J Wilkinson, R Howley, T Smith, K Wood, P Vickery, M Johnson (capt), D Grewcock, M Corry, R Hill, S Quinnell.
Replacements: J Leonard, G Bulloch, C Charvis, M Williams, M Dawson, A Healey, I Balshaw.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 08 May 2013, 1:10 am

A great O'Driscoll performance. He came out with a big performance against Australia again in the 2003 RWC. But with Ireland he had to do it all himself, including a drop goal and a try. Nearly single handedly dragged Ireland to a win, but for Humphries drop goal going agonizingly wide right at the end.

O'Driscoll popped up again against Australia in 2009, with a last gasp try that drew the match and ensured Ireland's only unbeaten season.

He's always played well against the Wallabies and has a few wins under his belt, including 2006 and 2011 off the top of my head.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 May 2013, 3:52 am

doddieman wrote:Completed scrums, offloads, centres that sidestep, its like a different game! Dont think I paid the lions any attention until 2005 so cheers for the recap.

Absolutely doddie! What I wouldn't give to see a backline such as below running out for the first test in Aus. All capable of making a break themselves and creating one for someone else. Davies and O'Driscoll is still my first choice centre partnership for the mere fact that they would try to work rather than crash their way through the Aus defensive line.

9.Youngs 10.Sexton 11.Wade 12.Davies 13.O'Driscoll 14.Bowe 15.Hogg

Alas that was a great side and tour looking back though. Just a shame about the final result! Sad

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 10 May 2013, 5:53 am

Whaadaya mean? T'was a great final result! Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down