The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

+105
stlowe
tatterd
Sin é
Gretgael1
Rory_Gallagher
Thomond
theslosty
Heaf
gelodge
boomeranga
majesticimperialman
Knowsit17
Full Credit
Pal Joey
Fernando
Aelandor
profitius
McLaren
ultra
Shifty
BamBam
Frankston
littlejohn
GloriousEmpire
Scrumdown
Cumbrian
t1000advancedprototype
markb
GLove39
valtrepkos
RDW
Breadvan
Good Golly I'm Olly
formerly known as Sam
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Exiledinborders
The Saint
trebellbobaggins
RDSguru
AFewTooManyKnocks
ospreysboyo
Hood83
Scoped
hodge
LeinsterFan4life
Scrumpy
SecretFly
B91212
The Boss
kiakahaaotearoa
blackcanelion
yappysnap
jimmyinthewell68
nth
MarcusHalberstram
JmD
funnyExiledScot
Geordie
daiglass63
RuggerRadge2611
Cadair Idris
flyhalffactory
Artful_Dodger
Taylorman
Cyril
Manu's Boxing Coach
pete (buachaill on eirne)
munkian
GunsGerms
rodders
RubyGuby
OzT
andy powells minder
HammerofThunor
George Carlin
fa0019
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
offload
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
Icu
kingjohn7
Pyleboy65
BlueNote
robbo277
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rugby Fan
Goosestepper
maestegmafia
dragonbreath
wayne
Feckless Rogue
Duty281
nathan
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
captain carrantuohil
jelly
wales606
109 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP - Page 2 Empty Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

So, it's only a week to go before the first Lions test for 4 years.

Gatland has a host of injuries and a game against the Brumbies to manoeuvre while deciding the 23 players who will take to the pitch next Saturday.

Christian Wade and Brad Barritt have both been called up to cover for injury concerns over Jamie Roberts, Manu Tuilagi, Tommy Bowe and George North

My team for Saturday

1. Maku Vunipola
2. Tom Youngs
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Tom Croft
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. George North (Simon Zebo)
12. Jonathan Davies
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Richard Hibbard
17. Alex Corbisiero
18. Dan Cole
19. Richie Gray
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Ben Youngs
22. Owen Farrell
23. Manu Tuilagi/Stuart Hogg

Thoughts?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by R!skysports Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:23 am

Not sure Roberts is a concern, due to the fact he has been very poor on this tour anyway. 

How many times has he dropped the ball in contact, and has hardly made any breaks, generally getting stopped on the gain line

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP - Page 2 Empty Re: Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 22nd June : TEST 1 BUILDUP

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:39 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:This morning's Times "understands" that he's out, but should be OK for the 2nd test.

Roberts or North?

Sorry, should've been clearer. North.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:21 pm

Roberts 'grave doubt' for First Test but Manu T should be in contention to replace him. If Manu T doesn't make it then Davies can come in at 12.
BOD will play 13 surely.

Whoever plays in the centre they won't  have had much time together in a match.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:45 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Do we really need cover for both props on the bench? Would rather have Tipuric AND Croft/O'Brien (whichever isn't selected for the starting XV) touching wood. Think the OP has the starting XV spot on, as it happens, although have a feeling that the brains trust may go with Heaslip at 8 instead.

The rules of a 23 man are that you have to have 3 front row players on the bench
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to go with Manu and BOD now Roberts is out.

Manu fits Gatland's style at 12 as someone who can drag you over the gainline, and then offers a bit with his pace (if he makes a clean break) or his offloading game (if he makes a half break). Neither Davies or O'Driscoll have the same kind of power to play effectively in the same manner. Davies masterful performance came at 13, he didn't go so well at 12 against the Reds, so I think Tuilagi should start here.

The decision then is whether to play Davies or O'Driscoll at 13. I think O'Driscoll's leadership and experience counts strongly, as does the fact that he played well outside Manu earlier on tour. Despite his performance against the Tahs, I think Davies just misses out here too.

I'd have Davies on the bench in the 23 shirt, as both centres have picked up knocks earlier in the tour and Davies can cover both positions. The hope would be that the back three all remain fit, but if we were to try to cover the back 3 we would leave ourselves very vulnerable if one of our centres went down.

It may seem harsh on Davies after his display against the Warahtahs, but I can't see Gatland changing the gameplan to accommodate Davies at 12, I can't see Davies having the same kind of impact being asked to play at 12 in the current gameplan and I don't think Davies is a better selection than O'Driscoll at 13. Marginal after his most recent performance, but I would just go for O'Driscoll.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

Jon Davies is a big lump, mind - he doesn't give away much to Tuilagi in weight.  I'd be a bit surprised to see Tuilagi in the test team, more than anything because he has had so little time on the field on tour, but yes, it may be dictated by the game plan.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

Davies is no slouch on the crash ball mind you and is a big lump
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

If he is fit then don't be surprised to see Gatland throw a big curve ball and pick North at 12 if Roberts and Manu are out. His whole coaching ethos is based around a big 12 (that is why Hook never gets a look in) to take it into contact and North played all his age grade rugby at 12.

Personally think it would be a huge gamble but Gatland might not if they have been using him in training. Gatland has alway placed more emphasis on what happens in training than he does in games, that is why certain Welsh players are gauranteed their starting place no matter how they perform for their regions eg Roberts, Warburton, Cuthbert.

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

Pyleboy65 wrote:If he is fit then don't be surprised to see Gatland throw a big curve ball and pick North at 12 if Roberts and Manu are out.
I was wondering that too but it would be quite a gamble. More likely, if North is fit, Gatland would take comfort that he could field one of his "panzers" and go with the BOD/Davies partnership. If BOD gets injured, then North could switch to 12 later in the match.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 17 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm

robbo277 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to go with Manu and BOD now Roberts is out.

Manu fits Gatland's style at 12 as someone who can drag you over the gainline, and then offers a bit with his pace (if he makes a clean break) or his offloading game (if he makes a half break). Neither Davies or O'Driscoll have the same kind of power to play effectively in the same manner. Davies masterful performance came at 13, he didn't go so well at 12 against the Reds, so I think Tuilagi should start here.

The decision then is whether to play Davies or O'Driscoll at 13. I think O'Driscoll's leadership and experience counts strongly, as does the fact that he played well outside Manu earlier on tour. Despite his performance against the Tahs, I think Davies just misses out here too.

I'd have Davies on the bench in the 23 shirt, as both centres have picked up knocks earlier in the tour and Davies can cover both positions. The hope would be that the back three all remain fit, but if we were to try to cover the back 3 we would leave ourselves very vulnerable if one of our centres went down.

It may seem harsh on Davies after his display against the Warahtahs, but I can't see Gatland changing the gameplan to accommodate Davies at 12, I can't see Davies having the same kind of impact being asked to play at 12 in the current gameplan and I don't think Davies is a better selection than O'Driscoll at 13. Marginal after his most recent performance, but I would just go for O'Driscoll.

What logic, pick a player who has not shown any form and hardly played (and normally plays 13) in place of the best centre in the Lions set up. JD2 has played the most against the best teams to date playing 13 and 12 as he does for his region. I would put JD2 ahead of BOD he bigger, faster, his defence is good and has a handy left boot. JD2 looks the most likely player to last 80mins in the centre.

I am not convinced Roberts is unfit, the last AI's he went off in nearly all the games and then turns up for training the next day. If Roberts is fit I would go with Roberts and JD2 with BOD as cover on the bench and don't bother with Manu.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:38 pm

I think BOD will start and I would pair him with JD
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think BOD will start and I would pair him with JD

Completely agree...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

wales606 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:He could always go for a 6/2 split on the bench which would give the option of having say SOB and Tipuric but doubt he will.

Considering the injury rate to backs at the moment, I think it would be a big mistake to do a 6/2 split

A scrum half and Farrell or Hogg. If it's Farrell there is no back 3 cover, if it is Hogg then we are in huge trouble if Sexton gets injured

Tipuric can cover as a back

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:19 pm

While much has been written about the importance of harmony within the 2013 Lions squad it seems that a healthy rivalry has developed on the ping pong table.

The likes of Conor Murray, Simon Zebo, Jamie Roberts, Alex Cuthbert and Owen Farrell have all been filling spare time in the team hotel with table tennis battles.

Stoking the fires on Twitter Jamie Roberts wrote: “Faz I’m better than you, Conor likewise...Zebo I’ll admit inferiority and Cuthy yet to play.”

Murray replied: “ha ha jog on doc, yer all relieved not to get a beating off me in the next few days!”

In another heated Twitter domestic Simon Zebo wrote: “@owen_faz you got some practice to do,” to which Owen Farrell replied: “ha mate wait until the next table.”

Conor Murray also chipped in, writing: “all you have is a serve faz, I'll get you soon!“

"And @SimonZebo knows I've beaten him on numerous occasions!”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:05 pm

You don't give them an inch, you don't let them win one collision.
If the Wallabies are to defeat the British & Irish Lions there are some non-negotiables.
These are my top five key areas Australia must conquer to win the series.
1. PHYSICALITY
Every Wallaby must bludgeon his opposite number into submission, win every physical contest.
And they can start by targeting under-pressure Lions captain Sam Warburton.
Justin Tipuric, Sean O'Brien and Tom Croft offer so much more than Warburton and that could be a point of difference.
Wallabies openside flankers Michael Hooper and Liam Gill have a harder edge than Warburton on the ball.
If Warburton starts and Australia dominate him early, watch the other Lions players drop their heads.
2. THE START
In 2001, the Lions won three halves of footy before the Wallabies got into the series.
Australia were blown away in the first Test and in the early going of the second. They must ensure their start to the Brisbane Test is ferocious.
It is imperative the Lions don't get an early sniff.
Whoever wins the first Test, in my book, wins the series. The loser of the first Test will have incredible pressure on their build-up to the next game and that will overwhelm some.
But the start is not limited to what happens on the field. Australian supporters must rise up with their team.
The Lions fans overwhelmed the local supporters 12 years ago, and the first Test felt like an away game.
Maybe we can't out-sing them, but we certainly need to give it a go. The fans must feel it and experience it first hand as a once-in-a-lifetime event.
3. CONSISTENCY
They may be a combination of four different nations, but the starting Lions XV will have had one or two games together to develop combinations on tour.
The Wallabies had an opposed session against Sunshine Coast, some of their players haven't played 80 minutes for two months, while this will be their first Test of the year. But coach Robbie Deans has told me that he can't worry about what they don't have.
It's clear they must click as soon as they run on to Suncorp Stadium and show the consistency that has been lacking for some years.
4. SET PIECE
I have great faith in the Wallabies' lineout. Hiring Nathan Sharpe to coach the lineouts was a masterstroke from Deans.
He will ensure the Wallabies lineout is accurate, has variety, and provides the backline with clean attacking ball.
The Wallabies can go a long way to winning this series with their scrum, which is still seen by the northern hemisphere as their achilles heel.
Australia's pack must make every single scrum count. If the Lions forwards can't shove the Wallabies backwards it will be like kryptonite for them, their mentality will waver.
5. BACKLINE
I hope the Wallabies play with real attacking intent. You will beat the Lions only by testing them in tight, out wide, and with a strong kicking game.
They will go with brawn and brute force. Australia's backs must be adventurous and put the Lions under constant pressure. Then we will see them wilt, panic, and ultimately be exposed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
robbo277 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to go with Manu and BOD now Roberts is out.

What logic, pick a player who has not shown any form and hardly played (and normally plays 13) in place of the best centre in the Lions set up. JD2 has played the most against the best teams to date playing 13 and 12 as he does for his region.  I would put JD2 ahead of BOD he bigger, faster, his defence is good and has a handy left boot. JD2 looks the most likely player to last 80mins in the centre.

I am not convinced Roberts is unfit, the last AI's he went off in nearly all the games and then turns up for training the next day. If Roberts is fit I would go with Roberts and JD2 with BOD as cover on the bench and don't bother with Manu.

Well, he linked up well with O'Driscoll against the Force, and I don't remember Davies and O'Driscoll lining up together. Is the first test really somewhere to be testing out a new combination?

Davies had a great game at 13. He didn't play well when he was giving an opportunity at 12 against the Reds.

Judging by the initial selection and the selection for the first two games, Roberts and Manu were brought with a view to playing 12 and Davies and O'Driscoll were brought with a view to playing 13. Roberts was definitely hurt on Saturday, it looked like a bad one on the pitch, and now negative noises have come out of the Lions camp. If he's fit to play I'd start him, but I seriously doubt that he will be.

What I'm then saying is would I both change the gameplan that has been in place for the entire tour and move a player who played fantastically well at 13 to 12 (where he didn't play so well) in the same move? No I wouldn't, in which case you have to start Tuilagi (who is over a stone heavier than Davies, and has more explosive power).

Davies is an option at 13 and a very strong option there. But then the likelihood is that only Mike Phillips in the backline would have started a Lions test before. O'Driscoll therefore becomes a key figure as he's been there and knows what it's all about.

If Roberts is fit he's got Lions test experience and an established partnership with Davies, and I'd be tempted to start the two of them together as well. If Roberts is fit I'd definitely have him at 12 either way, whether Davies or BOD partners him. But like I said, I doubt he will be fit.

That's my opinion.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

Robbo

Davies gave the scoring pass for four out of the five tries last Saturday. The other try he scored.

He is an exceptional talent, his vision and skillset is far beyond what Tuilagi can offer. Not playing Davies with BOD is a bizarre call with no rational at all.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Icu Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:20 am

Digby's fit for the 1st test if required.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/ioane-declares-himself-fit-for-lions-clash-20130618-2ofae.html

So, a possible back 3 of Ioane, Folau and Beale for the Wallabies. Tasty

Icu

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:48 am

Before we start our regional in-fighting about who plays, I just want to see the Lions get through Tuesday unscathed.  No injuries, no niggles. 

Roberts did up his hamstring.  To me, he can't/shouldn't play the first test.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Jun 2013, 5:52 am

Davies is naturally a 12 but has played majority of hi International rugby at 13 to accomodate Roberts into the Welsh game style.

He is more than capable of playing 12 or 13 at Lions level and for me, despite me saying all along that I like the idea of a JD and Manu combination I would go with JD and BOD for the 1st test.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:28 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Davies is naturally a 12 but has played majority of hi International rugby at 13 to accomodate Roberts into the Welsh game style.

He is more than capable of playing 12 or 13 at Lions level and for me, despite me saying all along that I like the idea of a JD and Manu combination I would go with JD and BOD for the 1st test.

Bedford,

The 'welsh game style' also unsurprisingly appears to be the Lions game style' that is a big bashing 12. If that is the case then a fit Manu T should be favoured.
If there is doubts about Manu's shoulder then JD should get the nod even though it is an untried combo.

Yes JD has a different skillset & had a stormer in the last game at 13 but I agree with Robbo. Gats will probably stick to his gameplan to start at least.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:34 am

Davies can if need be also bash it up but has that little bit more skill than Manu who hasn't had hardly any gametime which is a shame as I rate him highly.

There is little between them in reality Davies is 6ft 1 105kg while Manu is 6ft 1 110kg.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:41 am

Not sure about those stats Bedford? According to Wicki Manu is a good stone heavier, he certainly looks it to me.

Anyway we will find out soon enough.

If he wanted a skilful 12 maybe he should have picked 12Ts from the off Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:48 am

Gotta tell you boys - I really don't give a kangaroo's testicle who plays in the centres. I just want to have good combinations who can move the ball forward. O'Driscoll will start, at least the first test. And we can be sure the Wallabies will target him when they have the ball. Going after the older guy wo appeared a bit frail in his last test. So we need quality backup there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:31 pm

Think we will see T Youngs & Croft in starting line up.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Well I've changed my mind now.

Vunipola, Youngs, Jones, POC, AWJ, Croft, Warburton, Heaslip, Phillips, Sexton, North, Davies, BOD, Zebo, 1/2p

Corbisiero, Hibbard, Cole, Parling, O'Brien, Farrell, Tuilagi, Hogg
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

offload wrote:Well I've changed my mind now.

Vunipola, Youngs, Jones, POC, AWJ, Croft, Warburton, Heaslip, Phillips, Sexton, North, Davies, BOD, Zebo, 1/2p

Brave not to have a scrum half on the bench

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm

Some would argue there is no scrum half on the pitch either - but lets not go there

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Hogg can cover it, as I believe he picked the ball out of a ruck once when 14 :Shocked

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

OOPS - I'll still go with Youngs, Farrell and Tuilagi as the backs replacements.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

lostinwales wrote:Some would argue there is no scrum half on the pitch either - but lets not go there

laughing

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

Not enough Welsh in the team. You can see from today that the Irish, English and Scottish participants don't have enough to compete at this level.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

lostinwales wrote:Some would argue there is no scrum half on the pitch either - but lets not go there

Yes - Phillips is the only player in world rugby who wears 8 1/2
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:46 pm

Nice to see the wheels have fallen off the Lions support wagon already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:54 pm

Wheels were never really on for me in the first place Risca. I'm not saying this as a disgruntled Scotsman peeved at the lack of representation - in fact I've always stated I'd rather the Scots played on their own tour i.e the Quad Tournament than the Lions but that's a different story.

I will take an interest though - it's only natural but what I do have a problem with is Gatland and the utter keek he's come out with from the start.

Now, unless I'm way off the mark and he has some remarkable alterior motive justifying his decision making over the last few weeks, he has really screwed up and is continuing to do so. Of course, if he wins the series then he'll be a hero blah blah blah but I can't see it.

I genuinly think the Lions will lose 2-1 whereas if the right players who were fully fit and on form (just like he promised) were actually picked, then I may have had a different view.

Today was a massive reality check for them all in showing just how hard a task this is going to be.

Australia aren't poor - just ask England back in the Autumn.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Nice to see the wheels have fallen off the Lions support wagon already.

When were they ever on? For the last few months its all been 'Lets all get behind my nation's players in the Lions'. And 'So and so is rubbish because if we repeat that enough times it must be true'.

And of course 'If only they had picked Hook'...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:15 pm

Personally I don't care if they fight like cats and dogs and hate each other come the end of the tour.... put 40 random guys with a 15yr age range together for 6 weeks, add competition into the mix and do you think they will all get along???

I'd rather they win the series then they all make friends for life... this isn't a girl guides summer camp.

Losses happen, we haven't won every midweek match in a lions tour since 1989.

It was a good brumbies side... and the coach is of the highest standard.

I wonder what Jake White will be doing in 2017??? Never won a test in NZ... perhaps he would like to redeem that failure.???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 6:56 am

Wallabies team "leaked"

Wallabies (unconfirmed): Berrick Barnes; Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Christian Lealiifano, Digby Ioane; James O'Connor, Will Genia, Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper, Ben Mowen; Kane Douglas, James Horwill (captain); Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson.

Beale on the bench
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 19 Jun 2013, 7:37 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Not sure about those stats Bedford? According to Wicki Manu is a good stone heavier, he certainly looks it to me.

Anyway we will find out soon enough.

If he wanted a skilful 12 maybe he should have picked 12Ts from the off Wink

Twelvetrees didn't make a good account of himself yesterday but with one training session he wasn't going to set the world alight.

If Lancaster had of picked Twelvetrees more often for England then he would likely have made the original 37. After playing so well in the opening match it was a surprise to see him hardly used in the rest of the six nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Jun 2013, 7:48 am

Aussie test team leaked by Australia Rugby's own fanzine, the Sydney Morning Herald:

Benn Robinson,
Stephen Moore,
Ben Alexander,
James Horwill (c),
Kane Douglas,
Ben Mowen,
Michael Hooper,
Wycliff Palu,

Will Genia,
James O'Connor,
Digby Ioane,
Christian Lealiifano,
Adam Ashley-Cooper,
Israel Folau,
Berrick Barnes.

Reserves:
Saia Faingaa, James Slipper, Sekope Kepu, Rob Simmons, Liam Gill, Nick Phipps, Kurtley Beale, Pat McCabe.

Not sure that this changes our own selection. No huge surprises there, really. Falau playing is one of the least surprising surprises since the announcement of the Pope's religious preferences.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 19 Jun 2013, 7:56 am

Just said on BBC that North WILL be available for 1st choice

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:10 am

O'Connor at 10 is a huge risk for them and something that will hopefully be exploited
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 8:41 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Just said on BBC that North WILL be available for 1st choice

YEAH!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:10 am

Thats a very strong AUS side.

Thats the pack I would have chosen, Douglas is a beast... its a big pack make no mistake. Mowen at 6 offers a very good lineout option. I think they may surprise the Lions pack.

In the backs they have 3 decent kickers in O'Connor, Barnes and Lealiifano and the wings look outstanding. Folau vs. North, not sure who will win that one???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

I think the days of Australia being destroyed up front like England done the them a while back are long gone, it may not be seen as their strongest part of game but they are no mugs. 

Hopefully the Lions will not think they are and take them seriously at scrum time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

From that... we need to pick Corbisiero rather than Vunipola. He will be targeted up front.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:04 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:O'Connor at 10 is a huge risk for them and something that will hopefully be exploited

If it doesn't work, they'll just swap him and Barnes, it's not that high risk
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:06 am

CJ,

I think if we can get at him early enough then even if they do swap him maybe the damage will have been done.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:07 am

He also has Lealiifano with him to ease his load... with barnes at 15 and a genuine first five-eigth at 12 I think he will look very good. Its not like we have McCaw or Pocock breathing down his neck.
Warburton is a good player on form but he's still yet to be impressive... solid against the Tahs but not impressive.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:08 am

And Hooper and Genia as his link-man/protector and inside man won't exactly make things harder for him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next