The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather's Next Run Out

+5
azania
HumanWindmill
D4thincarnation
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
9 posters

Go down

Mayweather's Next Run Out Empty Mayweather's Next Run Out

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:44 pm

If Mayweather does ever fight again, aside from the obvious Pacqiaou fight, who else should Mayweather fight?

My people of choice would be -
Antonio Margarito - Light Middle - However I do feel he is too basic for Mayweather and I think it's virtually impossible to grind Floyd down.

Sergio Martinez - Light Middle - Most peoples P4P No. 3 in the world he is a big guy and could cause him problems especially if he does manage to connect, the drawbacks are I really do think
Floyd will be on his bike more than usual.

Andre Berto - Welterweight - Undefeated fighter shown that he has power and has very good technical boxing skill could pose a few problems to Mayweather, what's also on Berto's side is the fact that he fights in a similar style to Zab Judah, and let's not forget he was posing Floyd plenty of problems until he ran out of steam, but I do think that Mayweather's vast experience with dealing with fighters like him will pull him through.

Saul Alvarez - Light Middle - Well, yes he is very young and this fight will most probably not happen, but he looks like he can walk through shots and has very good technical bxoing skill combined with good power, could pose him problems, however realistically speaking I think Mayweather would outbox him off the back foot.

Miguel Cotto - Light Middle - Unsure, did Cotto duck Mayweather or did Mayweather duck him when Cotto was undefeated? Either way it could be tough for Mayweather, I do think Cotto is a slightly changed fighter since the Maragarito fight, however he seems to be rejuvenated at Light Middle so you never know, plus he has the style that Cotto prefers and won't be constantly charging at him, but Cotto does get troubled with speed and I think it would be the defining factor.

Paul Williams - Light Middle - Very tall and extremely long reach, could pose him problems with the pure speed and power, would struggle to see where Mayweather would find openings with the pure length of his arms on a small guy like Floyd, could be a very tough fight for him, however he HAS been beaten a few times before, and has been on the floor a few times also.

You guys got any others that could genuinely concern Mayweather into an at the very least challenging fight?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mayweather's Next Run Out Empty Re: Mayweather's Next Run Out

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

Floyd Mayweather to face Ryan Rhodes in Sheffield this November!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

To my knowledge Floyd Mayweather last fought in 1990, is a bit harsh lining him up against those guys. He's near enough 60 ffs!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:To my knowledge Floyd Mayweather last fought in 1990, is a bit harsh lining him up against those guys. He's near enough 60 ffs!

He is probably more likely to take those fights than his son.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:05 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:To my knowledge Floyd Mayweather last fought in 1990, is a bit harsh lining him up against those guys. He's near enough 60 ffs!

He is probably more likely to take those fights than his son.

He'd be about the right age to fight Pacquiao.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:06 pm

Personally I dont see the point in all this weight hopping. May should stay at his division and clean it out by fighting berto. Lord knows what weight pac is right now. Remember he was a SFW. So why on earth should he go up to MW and take on Martinez?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:11 pm

at mayweathers level, im not interested in seeing him fight anyone other than the top guns at welter or light middle.

for me that means berto and martinez.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

OasisBFC wrote:at mayweathers level, im not interested in seeing him fight anyone other than the top guns at welter or light middle.

for me that means berto and martinez.

Martinez is a middleweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

I would back him to beat all of the above with the exception of Martinez.

Cotto, Williams and Margarito are all damaged goods to one dgree or another; so he should stay away from them

Berto would be a somewhat intriguing fight. A young, undefeated title holder with a few defenses under his belt; he couldn't really be criticised for that one.

Just hope he doesn't fight Spadafora, that's all.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

Fer gawd's sake, I'm telling you, he's facing Ryan Rhodes. I have it on good authority though that Golden Boy are lining up an equally tough challenge if Rhodes doesn't make it past Alvarez.

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Matthew Hatton!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:20 pm

Well to be fair, if Rhodes beat Alvarez; he would be a legitimate opponent.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:21 pm

Martinez is a Middleweight but like Paul Williams who i am confident could give him a very tough run out at the very least can easily come down to 154 lbs, Martinez has actually said this, but he said he wouldn't go any lower as he doesn't see why he should kill himself to make the weight at 147 when it's been proven that Mayweather can fight at 154.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:23 pm

I honestly think despite his size Williams would get countered silly by Mayweather.

Despite being extremely tall and rangy, he doesn't use his height. He is really more of an aggressive, pressure fighter.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:25 pm

samevans1 wrote:Well to be fair, if Rhodes beat Alvarez; he would be a legitimate opponent.
I know, that's why I said it.

I think the game plan is to push Alvarez as a the next big thing and show Floyd just how much cash can be generated from the new darling of Mexican boxing. Floyd will see the big ol' $$$ signs whilst feeling he'd still have the beating of Saul anyway.

Now IF Ryan was to beat GBP's latest star, you can bet yer bottom dollar that Oscar would throw as much cash as he could Floyd's way as he's still consumed with a desire to get one over on Mayweather.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:28 pm

I think Williams is all wrong for Floyd.....Tall, rangy and could take him out of his comfort zone the same way Forrest did with Shane...

However now he's been splattered you'd have to pick Floyd but it wouldn't be easy..

Floyd won't get out of bed for less than 30 million so the only fights left for him really would be....Pacman, Khan, Cotto and Martinez..

Everyone else need not apply....

Pacman or Khan next me thinks..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:28 pm

I'm sure he is; but I don't think he ever will.

Mayweather will only fight on his own terms; which is why I don't think the fight with you know who will ever happen.

I think Berto and/ore the Khan-Bradley winner would both be good fights for him to take.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

Physically you are right Truss, completely.

But Williams does not utilise his size; e.g. he is not a stick and move boxer.

He is all about pressure and throwing dozens of punches in bunches. For his size, he is also pretty easy to hit.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:03 pm

He is but if Mosely can hurt Mayweather then I'm 99% certain that Williams can, he's bigger than Mosely maybe not as fast but can bully Mayweather around the ring, not saying he would beat him, but I honestly think he's got the entangables to beat Mayweather, it's just a case of him building the right game plan and executing. Also he will give a better work rate than Mosely did he has thrown constantly for 12 rounds before (Martinez first fight) and ok he did get smashed in the second fight against Martinez, however the first fight just proved how tough and durable he is. I genuinely think he would pose more problems to Mayweather Jr than Berto would!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

Whilst Chico's head was all over the place in their clash, I think the Corrales fight is an indicator of how a fight with Williams would go.

To beat Mayweather you are going to have to be at the top of your game and I'm afraid Williams is far too inconsistant to pull it off. He may cause Floyd trouble for even the first half of a fight but to me, there's always the risk of him taking his foot off the gas/eye off the ball at the wrong time.

He might be built like Tommy Hearns but that's about as far as it goes

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:42 pm

Agreed; he is too easy to hit and he might never recover from 'being rolled like a drunk'; as Truss would say!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 31 Mar 2011, 7:52 pm

If it's not a top fighter that he can earn at least $25 million from it wont happen. Don't think Khan and Berto are options their promoters wouldn't put them up against FMJ at this time in their careers would let them build a bigger fan base then maybe in 2 years time. It would need to be Berto, Cotto or Williams although I doubt the latter. Martinez I don't think is an option can't see FMJ at MW and wouldn't want to see a catchweight don't think we would see the best of Martinez that way and can't see FMJ giving up to much weight to an opponent. Williams would be the easiest fight for FMJ Williams doesn't fight tall leans in and is very aggressive and wide open. FMJ would just counter him for 12 rounds.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down