The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me!

+27
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
BelfastNI
Maddog
Dave.
Mickado
Shauna784
Jenifer McLadyboy
Notch
Irish Londoner
Feckless Rogue
MrsP
GunsGerms
Standulstermen
Artful_Dodger
BoyneRFC
clivemcl
Kingshu
Biltong
SecretFly
red_stag
Croyman
eirebilly
LondonTiger
LeinsterFan4life
rodders
Thomond
Rava
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me! - Page 2 Empty So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me!

Post by Rava Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

First topic message reminder :

This isn’t an article about how many or how few Ulster players get International recognition, nor is it a pop at Munster about who might be the current second best provincial team. It’s not even an “I told you so” to all those good friends who have had to endure countless hours of me telling them how good this Ulster team was and what could ultimately be achieved.

Lat year when the HC draw was made I cringed, as I’m sure many other Ulstermen did. Clermont and Leicester, two heavyweights of European rugby, stood in the way of at least equalling last years Quarter Final achievement. Me, I always though we were good enough. Never bragged though! At least not when I was sober Smile . Like last years team, maybe I was thankful for small mercies. Getting to a QF after 12 years trying was, after all, a marvellous achievement.
Many thought Ulster overachieved last year. Would they settle for another Magners League/Rabo top four place? Would this be seen as progress? Not if you were a true Ulster supporter, we had tasted soup at the top table and liked it. We wanted more. But wait!! After a reasonable start we dipped in the league. Our better players were at the World Cup or injured. We were “a team in crisis”. Could our season be turned around? Clermont came to Ravenhill and the question was answered. The rest, including an amazing night against Leicester, is history.
We needed results to go our way and thankfully they did. Who will ever forget the wet Friday night in Galway when Connacht turned over the mighty Quins?
So an away win in a Quarter Final at Fortress Thomond Park. Not possible they said. Only done once in the HC. This Munster team were unbeaten in this years competition. Even I had my doubts. (See my prediction on Sport Guru!!).
Yesterday’s result was a wake up to anyone who doubted this Ulster team. The desire to win has never been illustrated so well. Players who were prepared to put their bodies in places where most of us mortals wouldn’t even contemplate came through the test. Victory in the “Lions den” achieved, even though there were those who though it wasn’t possible. There were those who predicted an Ulster win but did they really believe it? Am I happy we didn’t beat Clermont in the South of France? Maybe a little bit. It was maybe better to meet Munster in Thomond than in the Aviva!
I went to Milton Keynes last year and stood watching a team that maybe felt they had reached their goal. It was an admirable performance. Sure we might have won but it was great achievement to get to the knock-out stages after 12 years of trying. That and a semi-final in the league was more that we could have wished for. Sure given the success of Leinster and Munster this was more than could be expected. We had closed the gap hadn’t we? But there were those including me who thought we could and should have done better. Especially in Dublin against a Leinster team with an eye on the HC Final.
I was at the HC final last year. Sang my heart out for Leinster (and make no excuses) and came away wishing it was Ulster. In 1999 I don’t think people really realised what Ulster achieved. For many years we have had to endure taunts that the competition was without the English teams. We beat what was put in front of us that year. The best the French (Welsh, Scots and Irish) could put forward!
We now stand in a place where many thought it wasn’t possible. Win against Edinburgh at “home” and a game against Leinster or Clermont awaits us. If we can get past Edinburgh, and I won’t be taking anything for granted, I will sit beside my friends in Twickenham supporting my own team. How good will that be?
Stand Up For The Ulstermen!!

Last edited by Rava on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me! - Page 2 Empty Re: So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me!

Post by Notch Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

It probably means big John Afoa will be cited for a tip tackle and will miss the Edinburgh game. Ooh, nerves are jangling about that,
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me! - Page 2 Empty Re: So what does Ulster’s Quarter Final win mean? Really!! To me!

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:07 pm

I hear he has been cited.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

He has yes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 10 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

"We havn't achieved anything yet!" - Dan Tuouy
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10374.php

Love the ambition and the self belief!

Also, I thought the citing is harsh, there has to be a difference between a player being tipped over the tacklers shoulder than a tip as a result of driving the tackler backwards. Player momentum has to be a factor. Theres a clear difference in the amount of intent required to achieve the two different tackles I've mentioned.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

I think any tackle like this that is missed by the ref should go to the citing team.

The citing team may decide that it wasn't a tip/spear tackle, but it should at least be refered to them if at all suspicous

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

I agree Kingshu.

Intent shouldn't come into whether or not it is cited. The likelihood of causing injury is not affected by intent.

Would I be right in assuming that Afoa has a clean record?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:35 pm

red_stag wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Just bought my tickets! Whoop whoop!

At least the semi was at Aviva and there was an allocation big enough for the bandwagoners Whistle

Beep beep tickets bought 2 more for the Ulster bandwagon! Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:39 pm

Whereabouts are you going to be in the ground Rodders?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

It's a shame they're not using Lansdowne. I think the Ulster/Edinburgh game is well capable of filling it. Shame on the organisers for picking Aviva instead Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:46 pm

SecretFly wrote:It's a shame they're not using Lansdowne. I think the Ulster/Edinburgh game is well capable of filling it. Shame on the organisers for picking Aviva instead Wink
They're playing a Heineken Cup semi final in the English Premiership? Shocked
I'm confused Ted.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

The AP boys demanded it, I'm afraid. They said the'y regard the semis as devalued if they weren't tied into the Premiership structure.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:50 pm

MrsP wrote:Whereabouts are you going to be in the ground Rodders?

Lower tier MrsP block 107 I think.

Cheers JeniferMcLadyboy, sorry booked tickets before I read your post guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

We'll wave across to you Rodders!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

roddersm wrote:
MrsP wrote:Whereabouts are you going to be in the ground Rodders?

Cheers JeniferMcLadyboy, sorry booked tickets before I read your post guinness .
The lower the number the better the seat in 107.
Also the lowest 6 rows are muck. Row Q and above are grand.

Personally I think the view is better from behind the goal than a side on view near the goal line. You may differ.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

We are on a corner on the first shelf.

Hope that's good Jenny?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:02 pm

MrsP wrote:We are on a corner on the first shelf.

Hope that's good Jenny?
Not a fan of corners but as long as you are not too low you will be grand. All the Cardiff fans were in the corner between the South and East stand.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:03 pm

roddersm wrote:

Oh the block with the trapdoor seats, leading into chutes that take the victims to the dastardly poisonous underground pool of toxic waste and the starving crocadiles with their up-to-date poison antidote shots!

63.4 minutes, Rodders........... try to remember not to be sitting in block 107 at 63.4 minutes into the game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:07 pm

Whole load more tickets appeared.

Block 113 ain't bad. If you want the lower tier. Go for a high seat number and Row Q or above.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

MrsP wrote:We'll wave across to you Rodders!

thumbsup

Are you's staying down in Dublin after the game? I'm guessing we will so if any 606ers want to meet for a guinness before or after then let me know RedWine .

Thanks Jen, as long as Ulster win I don't care what the view is like! Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

http://www.irishrugby.ie/aviva/map.php

Click on a section and you will get your view,make your own judgement!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:11 pm

SecretFly wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Oh the block with the trapdoor seats, leading into chutes that take the victims to the dastardly poisonous underground pool of toxic waste and the starving crocadiles with their up-to-date poison antidote shots!

63.4 minutes, Rodders........... try to remember not to be sitting in block 107 at 63.4 minutes into the game.

Jeebus modern stadiums eh! Beats standing behind that tall bloke with the afro in the promenade in Ravenhill anyways! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

Thomond wrote:http://www.irishrugby.ie/aviva/map.php

Click on a section and you will get your view,make your own judgement!

Laugh typical! wish I'd seen that earlier! Can't see either tryline from our block so hopefully it will be a placekicking duel! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:17 pm

I'm on the top shelf behind the goals. A bit higher than I was for the Wales game but a great view. I actually enjoy watching a game from the end.

Going to be heading home after the game so no guinness
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

We will probably head home straight after too since we will have all the little Ps and will already have done a lot before we even leave for Dublin!

We might be looking a good spot to park the car if anyone has any suggestions.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Shauna784 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

red_stag wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Just bought my tickets! Whoop whoop!

Bandwagoners and the non-rich who dont have a spare £150 each season! Wink

+1

Bought my tickets this morning after booking the hotel on Sunday. Cannot wait Very Happy

Shauna784

http://www.twitter.com/#!/shaunabean

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:32 pm

Will probably run a bus down from the pub for those with tickets. Got sorted for block 508 right at the front. Looks a reasonable view

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

I'm in a corner - 521. was in a top corner before which i was actually quite happy with despite the 'restricted view' which to me was non-existant!

A mate has also just offered my group a space on their bus from North Coast! Going to be epic!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

MrsP wrote:We will probably head home straight after too since we will have all the little Ps and will already have done a lot before we even leave for Dublin!

We might be looking a good spot to park the car if anyone has any suggestions.

The car parks in Belvo rugby club or the cricket club (both on Anglesea rd - mins walk from AVIVA) are the ones that the lads use. OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

According to the Ulster rugby FB site there are 35k Ulster supporters going so far.

How much is the bus stand? What time does it leave/return?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

In 508 you can't see either scorboard/big screen. 521 you can.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

roddersm wrote:According to the Ulster rugby FB site there are 35k Ulster supporters going so far.

How much is the bus stand? What time does it leave/return?

Rodders as its easter tuesday i cant get a quote to do a price which would include beers, a fry etc.

To be honest i was thinking be at the bar for 11/11.30 for breakfast and a pint, leave so that we are in Dublin at the latest 2.30/3pm and it would come back straight after the game (obviously allowing time for people tofile out of the stadium). It will be as cheap as i can make it as i have never done a bus this far before i am in total limbo as to what price it will be. Should know more tomorrow.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:54 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:In 508 you can't see either scorboard/big screen. 521 you can.

as long as i can see the pitch im fine. i was across from 508 for the wales game and i could barely see the big screen anyway.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:02 pm

Nice one stand. I'm not sure what we'll do but may stay overnight in Belfast if Dublin works out too expensive.

Want to watch the Leinster game on Sunday too, which means hanging around Dublin and not drinking ( Sad ) or heading home early. Watching it in Belfast would be handier. Are you showing it?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:06 pm

roddersm wrote:Nice one stand. I'm not sure what we'll do but may stay overnight in Belfast if Dublin works out too expensive.

Want to watch the Leinster game on Sunday too, which means hanging around Dublin and not drinking ( Sad ) or heading home early. Watching it in Belfast would be handier. Are you showing it?

Where is this famous bar and should I go there on Friday week? Normally go to the Crown in Town. (And Robinsons next door after, if I get too drunk to have any judgement Crying or Very sad )

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:07 pm

roddersm wrote:Nice one stand. I'm not sure what we'll do but may stay overnight in Belfast if Dublin works out too expensive.

Rodders, rodders, rodders. Hug

Of course!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:10 pm

Stand notworthy guinness guinness

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:16 pm

The taphouse Jen, just off Botanic avenue.

Worth poping into for a guinness if you're up that way in my book, especially if theres rugby on OK .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Looks decent. And straight up the Ormeau rd from Ravenhill.

Remind me to tell you te story about the tanning salon on the Ormeau rd if you bump into me. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:24 pm

Laugh Can't wait to hear it Jen guinness !
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:42 pm

MIssed your post Jen. Yeah we will be running a bus to the Leinster game so should be a good few Ulster fans back after the game and live music on as well. Its not a bad shout for a friday night in belfast.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:53 pm

Jasus! Does nobody walk up there? Smile
Looks like it's not much more than a mile from the ground.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

1.7 miles!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:05 pm

Something amazing when you think we are 160 minutes from dreaming the impossible dream........

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

MrsP wrote:1.7 miles!
Nerd!

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:15 pm

Just trying to make you feel better!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

Allthis chat of where people are sitting is breaking my wee heart, I'm away on family holiday which has been planned for 2 years and travelling back on Saturday during game. Have looked at different routes back via Dublin but doesnt look at all feasible. To make matters worse I'm away for final too! If we get there I think I'm going to bail on that and visit my bro in London instead, just need to pass it with the wife...

Maddog

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:29 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
MrsP wrote:1.7 miles!
Nerd!

2735 meters. Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

Rodders

Bus is sorted for those who have tickets already. £15 gets you bus there and back a fry and 2 beers. Need to let me know soon enough as nearly half the space are gone.

Pickup is 12.30pm from the Taphouse and come back at 8.30/9pm. Fry served at 11am ish.

Thats the plan

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

Thanks stand will pm you later if we interested. No sweat if theres no spaces left. Cheers OK guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

Ulsters ERC ranking points for the last 4 years make for interesting reading confirming that they have steadily improved each year. 1,2,3,4 and 6 points so far this year. If Ulster went on to win the tournament would this be kinda embarrassing for Ulster top brass given that they have already replaced the existing coach? Also is it true that the change is a result if the SA contingent and their influence over the team?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next