The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Afoa cited.

+39
Croyman
poissonrouge
BoyneRFC
B91212
JmD
Rory_Gallagher
The Great Aukster
logie28
UlstermaninGlasgow
Don Alfonso
1F'sgonnagetya!
funnyExiledScot
trustedwomble
Kingshu
dummy_half
Mickado
Rava
clivemcl
IanBru
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
eirebilly
Goosestepper
aucklandlaurie
Ozzy3213
Golden
Standulstermen
HammerofThunor
JayMaster3000
AlastairW
Portnoy
LondonTiger
MrsP
Thomond
red_stag
rodders
Notch
brennomac
Artful_Dodger
43 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

John Afoa cited. Empty John Afoa cited.

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Apr - 3:33

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/16480.php

Hoping he doesnt miss the Semi Final - was it dangerous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NfO2jjNivyU

Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Wed 11 Apr - 4:14; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

John Afoa cited. Empty Re: John Afoa cited.

Post by brennomac Wed 11 Apr - 3:37

I remember the tackle and thought it was marginal - Jones did go below the horizontal but only be a few degrees. If he does get a ban amazed if it's more than week or two - would miss a couple Rabo games but be ok for semi

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 11 Apr - 3:39

Mimimum ban is three weeks apparently. Might appeal on the basis he scrubs up well, our scrum coach thinks he's a good lad and he might captain Ulster one day Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr - 3:40

Flip! Sad
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Apr - 3:40

To me it is very simple. He did something illegal and committed a dangerous tackle. However I would have thought a yellow sufficient.

He neither drove Jones downwards nor did he drop him - they are the key factors for a red card.

Hopefully Ulster will have him for the semis. I am quite bitter than Poite did not penalise him but I want to see Ulster win the thing.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Apr - 3:45

It deserved a citing and low end would be fine. The rule needs consistency or it needs to be completely re done. He derseves to be punished for reckless play. Having said that, Zebo should be cited too for giving Jones a hospital pass!

Might be worth it including the Original Post, Dodger
Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Apr - 3:48

He has already captained Ulster Notch!

I will be holding my breath all day Thursday!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr - 4:02

Thomond wrote:It deserved a citing and low end would be fine. The rule needs consistency or it needs to be completely re done. He derseves to be punished for reckless play. Having said that, Zebo should be cited too for giving Jones a hospital pass!

Spoiler:

Personally I don't think tackles like that should be penalised and the IRFU have to sort this nonsence out. Afoa hasn't dropped him or driven him so its not deliberately dangerous. That to me is a hard tackle and with textbook technique. The nature of Rugby means you are going to get these physical mismatches from time to time but the only way to avoid these scenarios totally is if Afoa pulls out of the tackle, which in my opinion goes against the whole ethos of the sport.

Its seem every time a player comes of the deck now it's deemed as dangerous play, which it may well be but it's only reckless and dangerous in the context that rugby is a tough contact sport.

I'm not surprised that Afoa has been cited but it is frustrating non the less.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Apr - 4:14

Thomond wrote:It deserved a citing and low end would be fine. The rule needs consistency or it needs to be completely re done. He derseves to be punished for reckless play. Having said that, Zebo should be cited too for giving Jones a hospital pass!

Spoiler:

thanks.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Apr - 4:19

Rodders, Jones is very close to landing on his neck. It deserves some form of punishement.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 11 Apr - 4:35

From a neutral point of view, I was expecting a citing. At full speed on first viewing it felt as if he lifted the man and drove him into the ground.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 11 Apr - 4:36

Definite ban in my humble opinion.

I agree with Thomond and I suspect it won't be treated lightly. Minimum of three weeks - possibly as much as five would be my guess.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 11 Apr - 4:47

No different to the Warbs tackle last RWC, and Davies tackle in the Wales/Ireland match. A ban will be required in the name of reffing consistency, even if it is a token gesture, that didn't look to be done with malicious intent though.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 11 Apr - 4:54

It's very different to those other two tackles. Warburton dropped Clerc as did Davies. Davies was the worst because it was off the ball. All deserve discipline, the first two did so we will see what happens.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 11 Apr - 4:59

AlastairW wrote:No different to the Warbs tackle last RWC, and Davies tackle in the Wales/Ireland match. A ban will be required in the name of reffing consistency, even if it is a token gesture, that didn't look to be done with malicious intent though.

Are you being serious? They were much worse.

Saying that though Afoa will probably get banned for this. Mostly on the back of this tip-tackle taboo that has developed since the RWC. Though he didn't drive him or drop him he did turn him which resulted in his legs above his shoulders.
As soon I saw it I jumped, and was surprised that the ref did't pick up on it.

Three week ban I say. Hope I'm wrong.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 11 Apr - 5:05

Tilting someone isn't illegal. If you do you have to ensure they hit the ground safely. Dropping someone is a big no no as you lose all control over the player (Warburton). I haven't watched it in detail however if the guy hit the ground safely and the head didn't hit the ground first there will (should) be no more to it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Apr - 5:07

I think he will get about 3/4 weeks off sadly for Ulster. We should fly St Keven of Mealamu over as a character witness.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 11 Apr - 5:08

JayMaster3000 wrote: Though he didn't drive him or drop him he did turn him which resulted in his legs above his shoulders.

Which is a tip tackle and he didn't drive him onto his back, he landed on his shoulder and neck. I agree with you completely that Warbs & Davies tip tackles were much worse, but according to the letter of the law a ban will be required or it sets a bad precedent.

As you say 3 weeks sounds about right.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 11 Apr - 5:12

There is no "letter of the law" regarding bans. A quick look suggests that he didn't drop him or drive him on his head. That's what was recommended for a red card.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 11 Apr - 5:12

HammerofThunor wrote:Tilting someone isn't illegal. If you do you have to ensure they hit the ground safely. Dropping someone is a big no no as you lose all control over the player (Warburton). I haven't watched it in detail however if the guy hit the ground safely and the head didn't hit the ground first there will (should) be no more to it.

Not exactly Hammer,

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and either dropping or driving that player's head and/or upper body into the ground whilst the player's feet are off the ground.

Under the IRB Recommended Sanctions for Offences Committed within the Playing Enclosure, Law 10.4 (j) carries the following penalties: Low End: 3 weeks; Mid Range: 6 weeks; Top End: 10+ to 52 weeks.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Apr - 5:21

Portnoy wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Tilting someone isn't illegal. If you do you have to ensure they hit the ground safely. Dropping someone is a big no no as you lose all control over the player (Warburton). I haven't watched it in detail however if the guy hit the ground safely and the head didn't hit the ground first there will (should) be no more to it.

Not exactly Hammer,

Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and either dropping or driving that player's head and/or upper body into the ground whilst the player's feet are off the ground.

Under the IRB Recommended Sanctions for Offences Committed within the Playing Enclosure, Law 10.4 (j) carries the following penalties: Low End: 3 weeks; Mid Range: 6 weeks; Top End: 10+ to 52 weeks.

Afoa didnt drop or drive him though. Although if your going by consistency he should get a ban

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Apr - 5:22

But the important part there is the,

"....and either dropping or driving...." bit.

That is the "red card" definition.

If they do not think it was a red card they would not uphold the citing.

I do however expect a short ban, just clarifying the threshold for citings.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 11 Apr - 5:44

Players have been banned this season for making identical tackles to that. It will be low end so entry point of 3 weeks. He will then get a week added as the IRB want to stamp out this sort of tackle, then will get a 50% reduction for being a good egg meaning it will be a 2 week ban.

He will therefore miss 2 Rabo games that he might have been rested for anyway and will return for the semi final against Edinburgh.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 11 Apr - 5:46

Ozzy3213 wrote:Players have been banned this season for making identical tackles to that. It will be low end so entry point of 3 weeks. He will then get a week added as the IRB want to stamp out this sort of tackle, then will get a 50% reduction for being a good egg meaning it will be a 2 week ban.

He will therefore miss 2 Rabo games that he might have been rested for anyway and will return for the semi final against Edinburgh.

Get that man on the judicial panel. i like that reasoning! Hug

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 11 Apr - 5:51

Wasn't it very similar to Ferris' tackle? We may have seen bans for similar tackles but we've also seen no bans for similar tackles.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr - 5:56

Golden wrote:Afoa didnt drop or drive him though. Although if your going by consistency he should get a ban

Thats what I think too but I feel that it is wrong. This tackle is akin to Ferris on Davies and the rediculous one Stephen Jones got a red for on Bowe. Its a world away from Davies tackle on Ryan, which would have earned a disqualification in WWF wrestling or even Warburtons on Clerc, where Clerc was dropped.

There needs to be a distinction made from a tackle were a player is deliberately lifted and dropped/driven and a well executed strong tackle were the impact of the collision takes the player off the ground.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 11 Apr - 6:09

If there is contact with the upper body/neck/head first I think there should be a ban purely to discourage tackles where the player can't control the tackle well enough. However if they side on or land horizontal then nothing.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr - 6:12

I agree Thunor.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 11 Apr - 6:40

Only saw it once,at actual speed.Thought it was an excellant tackle.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 11 Apr - 7:36

Ozzy3213 wrote:Players have been banned this season for making identical tackles to that. It will be low end so entry point of 3 weeks. He will then get a week added as the IRB want to stamp out this sort of tackle, then will get a 50% reduction for being a good egg meaning it will be a 2 week ban.

I really do pray thats the case. Of course, who knows once you go into the lottery that is the disciplinary system?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 11 Apr - 8:03

Absolutely. You know my thoughts on the complete inconsistencies that there have been this season. The whole disciplinary process is a farce and requires a complete overhaul on a global level.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Goosestepper Wed 11 Apr - 13:51

Spoiler:

I think Zebo needs to back himselft in those situations, there were a couple of times when he got into his stride where I was willing him to pin his ears back and either look to punch through or go outside - rather than slow down looking for someone to pass to and/or giving the defender the advantage of making the big hit

Goosestepper

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr - 16:43

At the time i thought that he and Ulster were very lucky. They were having a player come back from the bin and were under extreme pressure so a yellow or a red card for him may have seen Ulster lose the game. I will be an honest Munster fan here and say that i was screaming for at least a yellow.

It looked bad but there was no real malice in it, going by the precedence set he will receive a ban but i hope that it is not a long one.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 11 Apr - 19:25

There needs to be a distinction made from a tackle were a player is deliberately lifted and dropped/driven and a well executed strong tackle were the impact of the collision takes the player off the ground

Once you remove a player from his feet it is your responsibility to but him down safely again. That does not involve sending him crashing to the floor shoulder first. Flat of back or on his ar$e are perfectly acceptable but shoulders, head and neck are not. It should be a low level ban because the player is neither dropped nor driven but it is still a dangerous tackle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Apr - 19:26

Hoping he gets 4 weeks cut in half for good behaviour so he would miss 2 games but be back for the semi final.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr - 19:34

I can see a maximum of two weeks as well. Just wish he had seen yellow during the game as then i think that Munster may have won Wink

Yes i am aware that i am saying Munster needed a little bit of extra help Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr - 19:40

When is the hearing? Before or after this weekend?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 11 Apr - 19:40

I'd prefer a system where the player is banned for a certain number of games in the same competition as the offence occurred, in much the same way as football. Sure, the current system is simpler and more flexible, but it fails to set any real disincentive for dangerous play.

It bothers me somewhat that a player can commit a pretty heinous challenge in an HC game in January, get banned for eight weeks, and then be available to play in the quarter finals.

In effect, assuming that Afoa gets a two week ban, the IRB are admonishing Afoa for a dangerous tackle, but still providing him the opportunity to repeat his offence in the next round.

Also, don't get me started on reducing the length of bans for good conduct during the hearing...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 11 Apr - 19:42

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:When is the hearing? Before or after this weekend?

Tomorrow. It's in the OP link, As.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr - 19:42

IanBru wrote:I'd prefer a system where the player is banned for a certain number of games in the same competition as the offence occurred, in much the same way as football. Sure, the current system is simpler and more flexible, but it fails to set any real disincentive for dangerous play.

It bothers me somewhat that a player can commit a pretty heinous challenge in an HC game in January, get banned for eight weeks, and then be available to play in the quarter finals.

In effect, assuming that Afoa gets a two week ban, the IRB are admonishing Afoa for a dangerous tackle, but still providing him the opportunity to repeat his offence in the next round.

Also, don't get me started on reducing the length of bans for good conduct during the hearing...
Ian, next round, but i take your point. The only problem with your suggestion is internationals which happen relatively infrequently. I'd like a 'match' ban rather than a 'weeks' ban, but don't think you could make same competition work OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 11 Apr - 19:44

Quickly edited, Asbo, old chum!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr - 19:46

Portnoy wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:When is the hearing? Before or after this weekend?

Tomorrow. It's in the OP link, As.
Thanks, Portnoy, should have looked up Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 11 Apr - 19:51

I have a preference for a match ban which must be served on at a level which is at least that at which the event occurred. That way a player banned for example 8 weeks in an international misses that number of games.

Equally clubs could not run down bans by playing them in meaningless stuff like the LV.

Last edited by Portnoy on Wed 11 Apr - 19:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Apr - 19:52

formerly known as Sam wrote:
There needs to be a distinction made from a tackle were a player is deliberately lifted and dropped/driven and a well executed strong tackle were the impact of the collision takes the player off the ground

Once you remove a player from his feet it is your responsibility to but him down safely again. That does not involve sending him crashing to the floor shoulder first. Flat of back or on his ar$e are perfectly acceptable but shoulders, head and neck are not. It should be a low level ban because the player is neither dropped nor driven but it is still a dangerous tackle.

No I don't accept that. That depends on the trajectory and angle of the impact. Landing on the back is every bit as dangerous as landing on the side or upper arm.

This sort of tackle is less dangerous than collapsing a scrum, tackling a player in the air, a high tackle, clearing out a ruck aggressively and any number of other aspects of the game legal or otherwise which don't warrant a ban.

It was textbook technique from Afoa and it is unfortunate for Jones that the impact has lifted him off his feet. The IRB can't seriously expect Afoa to pull out of the tackle, which is the only way to avoid this sort of thing totally.

It's a tough game and if you want to eliminate all risk then you should play another sport.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 11 Apr - 19:53

IanBru wrote:I'd prefer a system where the player is banned for a certain number of games in the same competition as the offence occurred, in much the same way as football. Sure, the current system is simpler and more flexible, but it fails to set any real disincentive for dangerous play.

Well you would do wouldnt you that way he would miss the Edinburgh game Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 11 Apr - 20:07

You make it sound like you think there is thought going into the offences. Like they would think "Yea I'll go for a full tip, I'll only miss a few Rabo games". I see absolutely no reason to keep the bans limited to the one competition. The threat of missing HC games compared with rabo games will have no effect as a further deterrent at all. Nonsense.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed 11 Apr - 20:11

The thing is, in the heat of a game, the harder/fiercer the tackle, the less chance of an offload, more chance of a spilled ball. For Afoa to think "hold on, I better let him down gently" is effectively saying "I'll allow him time to look round for an offload".

Its hard on the players. I personally dont agree with the horizontal technical detail. I don't think that tackle was dangerous. I've said it before, if we wanted to eradicate danger you wouldnt allow to players to challenge for a catch in the air.

Basically, by the letter of the law, he SHOULD BE CITED, I just dont agree with the letter of the law...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 Apr - 20:15

clive, i think that in driving up during the tackle, Afoa probably ensured that Jones's body was going to breach the horizontal at some point - i think it will depend on their view of that in all honesty

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 11 Apr - 20:17

So you are saying that Calum Clarke should be available for the England Summer Tour then and that Bradley Davies should have been allowed to play for the Blues as soon as the 6 Nations was over?

The point in the citing process is to punish the offending player and take him away from the game for a time. Bans have to remain for all competitions. The "number of games" thing is reasonable although could be open to abuse. Maybe the off season should not be counted as "weeks".

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 11 Apr - 20:19

Was it ignored by the ref due to the knock on seconds before hand? If it warrents a citing then surely the game should have been stopped?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next