The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Jones to Wasps

+15
niwatts
Morgannwg
glamorganalun
sirtidychris
gowales
yappysnap
HongKongCherry
pioden gorllewin
HammerofThunor
ScarletSpiderman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
eirebilly
formerly known as Sam
wales606
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen Jones to Wasps Empty Stephen Jones to Wasps

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Stephen Jones is expected to complete a move to Wasps within days, despite the financial uncertainty at the Aviva Premiership club.

The former Wales and Lions fly-half, 34, is set to leave the Scarlets at the end of the season in a move that could be the last of his playing career. The deal could be done before the end of this week.

Jones is set to join his former Wales team-mate Dai Young, now head coach at the former European champions, where he will share the No10 jersey with Nicky Robinson.

It had been thought the move was in doubt after Wasps released a statement yesterday warning that they are in danger of going into administration following the collapse of takeover talks.

But now it appears Jones will join the Adams Park club, which has been afflicted by mass injuries and off-field uncertainty all season.

His departure from the Scarlets will come as all the Welsh regions embark on cost-cutting measures, and it would bring to an end a six-year second stint there following a two-year spell with Clermont Auvergne between 2004 and 2006.

Jones is an attractive acquisition for Wasps because his international commitments with Wales appear to be over.

Meanwhile, Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty has vowed to do all he can to help Wasps find new investors and stave off the growing threat of administration.

Wasps were close to completing a takeover deal last week but that arrangement has fallen through, leaving the club in a precarious financial position.

It is understood Wasps have enough funding to see them through the next month, which would allow them to complete the Premiership season, but the club need urgent investment to remain in business beyond May.

Wasps have returned with their begging bowl to three parties who had previously expressed an interest in the club while issuing an appeal for potential new investors to step forward.

If no investment is forthcoming, Wasps would find themselves in administration and facing a potential points deduction.

McCafferty said: “It would be unhelpful to speculate about that (administration) at this point.

“We understand that London Wasps are doing everything they can to avoid this situation and are actively seeking investment as a matter of urgency.

“It is well known that London Wasps were seeking new investment and despite moving to advanced stages of completing a sale the negotiations have stalled.

“London Wasps are looking for alternative approaches and we’re doing everything we can to help.”

Wasps have been looking for a new owner since last July, when Wycombe council withdraw its support for the construction of a new stadium.

In February, Wasps said they were at “advanced stages of discussions” with four interested parties but, having identified a preferred bidder, talks have fallen through.

A club statement said: “The board is disappointed to confirm that negotiations, which had been leading towards an imminent takeover of the club, have stalled.

“The board, having taken independent advice, is able to confirm that London Wasps Holdings Limited remains nevertheless a going concern.

“However, the board acknowledges the urgency of the current situation surrounding the club.

“There are ongoing active discussions with other potential investors but the club is seeking, using all best endeavours, further expressions of interest.”

It is understood the collapse of the takeover bid was due to funding issues with the potential investor.

It emerged last week that Wasps’ current owner Steve Hayes had been arrested and bailed as part of Scotland Yard’s computer-hacking investigation.

Wasps have been battling against relegation all season and, with three matches remaining, they have still not mathematically secured their Premiership status.

The club have fallen a long way since 2008, when Lawrence Dallaglio lifted their fifth English league title to go with the European crowns they won in 2004 and 2007.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/04/11/scarlets-stephen-jones-set-to-complete-move-to-wasps-within-days-91466-30737357/#ixzz1rjExZ4aH

..................................................................................................

I think Wasps is a bad move for SJ - He is still playing well and could easily be 1st choice at a better club, rather than competing with Robinson at Wasps.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Stephen Jones to Wasps Empty Re: Stephen Jones to Wasps

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 pm

I won't believe it until the Scarlets announce it. It wasn't all that long ago that he was practically confirmed to be going to Gloucester.

Plus if Wasps go under, I doubt Jones will still go.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm not sure how many AP clubs other than LI are in the market for a fly half so his English opportunities may have been limited. Having said that a move to London Irish where he would have been a guarenteed starter and would have been working with former Scarlets team mater Shingler would have surely been more appealing than Wasps?

Bizarre move for both parties this one, Wasps need to replace the loss of key forwards before signing another 10 as they have Davies and Robinson on the books at present so it isn't like they are desperate.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Whoever finally signs Jones will have a very good player who will bring a wealth of experience and professionalism to their club. At 34, Jones will still be a top quality 10 for at least 2 years.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Wouldn't mind Jones at Ulster to be honest. He's not the player he was but is still a class act and has bags of experience.

He'd also have been far better for Connaght than Dan Parks!

One of the best fly-halves around in his prime and massively underrated.

I'm sure he'll do a great job whereever he goes.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

Poor old Ryan Davis

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:32 pm

I thought when Jones signed his last contract he said he would see out his playing days with the Scarlets, so is this a case of the Scarlets not wanting to keep him?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Are Wasps going to merge with London Welsh? Nice to see Dai is carried on the format that lead the Blues to their heady heights of the LV/Amlin cup.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I thought when Jones signed his last contract he said he would see out his playing days with the Scarlets, so is this a case of the Scarlets not wanting to keep him?

Scarlets not wanting to pay two very good FHs, especially while they have a load in their academy I guess.

Though Preistland will be away for a lot of the time (and probably now demands a higher wage than before - when he was available all year)

Scarlets could suffer during international windows without Jones.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I thought when Jones signed his last contract he said he would see out his playing days with the Scarlets, so is this a case of the Scarlets not wanting to keep him?

Scarlets not wanting to pay two very good FHs, especially while they have a load in their academy I guess.

Though Preistland will be away for a lot of the time (and probably now demands a higher wage than before - when he was available all year)

Scarlets could suffer during international windows without Jones.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Poor old Ryan Davis

Thought he had a good game at 12 against Biarritz on Saturday. Maybe he'll move to 12 full time next season with Flutey moving on with Robinson and Jones filling the 10 shirt on rotation.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:47 pm

w606 - yeah I guess with the cap coming in it is a case of only paying out for the necessarities, and then utilise the youth for fill the gaps as required.

Dai Young has been trying to get Stevo to sign for him for pretty much everytime his contract has been out (and Dai has been coaching of course), so I guess the link is no shock as such.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

I am not taking anything from the walesonline as fact until either Stephen or Scarlets come out to announce that he is leaving.

Any move to Wasps does not make sense at all for Stevo, especially when you consider he's got his business down in Llanelli too.

Gloucester was realistic as it's still pretty close, but I wouldn't say Wasps.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 pm

apparently until recently there was 3 teams in the jeff & 3 teams in france looking to sign stephen. like dreamer said i wouldn't rely on the walesonline - guess the scarlets have two options (if stevo wants to stay):

1) sign him on reduced terms and possible coaching responsibilities.

2) thank stevo and wish him best - free up a lot of money which can be used elsewhere in the squad (TH/Locks). then go with the current national number 10 in priestland, the improving aled thomas and the up and coming jordan williams.

on a side note is nicky robinson still in contract with the wasps for next season?
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 pm

apparently until recently there was 3 teams in the jeff & 3 teams in france looking to sign stephen

I'd guess the three AP teams would have been Wasps, LI and Sale. Sale have now secured Cipriani and so would be off the table but LI will no doubt still be keen as they are really lacking in 10 options for next season and they only two they do have (Homer and Shingler) are both young.

If Glaws were interested I guess that fizzled out when the signed Twelvetrees and renewed the contracts of Taylor and Burns. Right there they have Burns a very talented young attacking 10, a solid but unspectacular 1o in Taylor and a good 12 who can cover 10 adequetely and who brings a massive (if not always accurate) boot.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Glaws were in talks with Jones, but pulled out a month or so ago. The money earmarked for him has gone on signing Jimmy Cowan instead and Tim Taylor has been re-signed as our back up FH, with Mills and 36 acting as further cover - I wouldn't have thought it would be too long until we start seeing Billy Burns appearing.

This does seem a very strange signing by Wasps. Their years of success came from an outstanding pack and the present version is a very poor comparison. They have a promising backrow, but their front 5 is poor especially with the loss of Thompson and now Webber. Therefore the signing of Jones is a needless luxury and even the best FH in the world is going to struggle on the kind of back foot ball the Wasps pack are delivering.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I am not taking anything from the walesonline as fact until either Stephen or Scarlets come out to announce that he is leaving.

Any move to Wasps does not make sense at all for Stevo, especially when you consider he's got his business down in Llanelli too.

Yeah but doesn't Peel have a steak (pun intended) in that business too, and manage alright in Manchester? That said I am with you on not believing anything uptil it is confirmed by Steve/Scarlets as Stevo is always meant to be signing elsewhere (usually the Blues) when his contract is coming to an end.

I heard talk of Nicky Robinson signing for the Dragons (although it may well be purely rumour), which would possible make the Wasps link seem more believable though
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Dai is an idiot if he has signed him, what he needs is more forwards not another back.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm

HongKongCherry wrote: Therefore the signing of Jones is a needless luxury and even the best FH in the world is going to struggle on the kind of back foot ball the Wasps pack are delivering.

Nice to see someone admit to Steve being the best flyhalf in the world Run
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:I am not taking anything from the walesonline as fact until either Stephen or Scarlets come out to announce that he is leaving.

Yeah but doesn't Peel have a steak (pun intended) in that business too, and manage alright in Manchester? That said I am with you on not believing anything uptil it is confirmed by Steve/Scarlets as Stevo is always meant to be signing elsewhere (usually the Blues) when his contract is coming to an end.

I heard talk of Nicky Robinson signing for the Dragons (although it may well be purely rumour), which would possible make the Wasps link seem more believable though

Would be a good signing for the Dragons, is his contract up?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote: Therefore the signing of Jones is a needless luxury and even the best FH in the world is going to struggle on the kind of back foot ball the Wasps pack are delivering.

laughing
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48 pm

I don't think so. I think he signed a two year deal when he joined Wasps but is only in his first year of that. Wasps might release him if Jones is a cheaper alternative though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Doh I walked into that one!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

I don't think so. I think he signed a two year deal when he joined Wasps but is only in his first year of that. Wasps might release him if Jones is a cheaper alternative though.

Purely from the rumour mill in glaws, but apparently Robinson is very unhappy at Wasps. He signed a 2 year deal with them so has another year, but under present circumstances if there is a shred of truth to this he could be off.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 am

The move is confirmed. Beyond gutted Crying or Very sad

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/4802.php

Diolch am bopeth Stevo clap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:52 am

Seems like an odd move?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:56 am

Purely from the rumour mill in glaws, but apparently Robinson is very unhappy at Wasps. He signed a 2 year deal with them so has another year, but under present circumstances if there is a shred of truth to this he could be off.

I suppose if there's a club willing to give Wasps a nominal fee for the last year of his contract that would be a result (given Wasps financial status), doubly so if they've got in Jones on a cheaper contract. The whole thing may well fall apart if Wasps go under and get relegated though. Still can't believe that LI didn't get in on this deal! Experienced international who is unlikely to get be called up is looking for two year deal before retirement didn't appeal to a club with only youngsters (Shingler and Homer) and journeymen (Jarvis) as current options?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:01 am

Dai Young has tried for years and years to sign him As, so guess it was going to happen at somepoint!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am

I suppose if there's a club willing to give Wasps a nominal fee for the last year of his contract that would be a result (given Wasps financial status), doubly so if they've got in Jones on a cheaper contract. The whole thing may well fall apart if Wasps go under and get relegated though. Still can't believe that LI didn't get in on this deal! Experienced international who is unlikely to get be called up is looking for two year deal before retirement didn't appeal to a club with only youngsters (Shingler and Homer) and journeymen (Jarvis) as current options?

Brian Smith apparently poured cold water over the prospect of him moving to Irish when he came back. There have been rumours that Jarvis might move to France too, so who knows where that leaves us!

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:09 am

It's not just Stephen Jones, there's 4 new signings announced by Wasps:

London Wasps have confirmed the arrival of Wales fly-half Stephen Jones and Springbok loose forward Ashley Johnson amongst four new signings.

The international duo will be joined at Adams Park by Leeds tighthead prop Phil Swainston and Ospreys prop Will Taylor.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:11 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:It's not just Stephen Jones, there's 4 new signings announced by Wasps:

London Wasps have confirmed the arrival of Wales fly-half Stephen Jones and Springbok loose forward Ashley Johnson amongst four new signings.

The international duo will be joined at Adams Park by Leeds tighthead prop Phil Swainston and Ospreys prop Will Taylor.

Who?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 am

Ashley Johnson is a big signing imo. He impressed when he burst on to the scene but unfortunately hasn't been able to kick on.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 am

How many awesome back row forwards and props do SA have..... they keep churning them out..... it seems every NH club team signs either a SA loose forward or prop...when will this madness ever cease.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:30 am

Good move by the Scarlets, bring on the younger players and get their cost base down i.e., win win. Scarlets must move on and strengthen the front 5 starting with I Evans he has a contract for a year, like Bowe I believe he can leave before his contract ends.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 am

Ian Evans is off to Exeter next year apparently - Mitchell has convinced him Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:42 am

Asbo - are you still persisting with that rumour! laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:43 am

Course I am - I know it's source - rock solid, guaranteed Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 am

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 am

It was interesting Humph stated that they managed to keep their keys forwards but he did not mention Evans and I heard any of the players could go contract or not.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:04 am

glamorganalun wrote:It was interesting Humph stated that they managed to keep their keys forwards but he did not mention Evans and I heard any of the players could go contract or not.
You see, dreamer, I told you! Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 am

laughing

yes well I've heard he's coming to the Scarlets, so we shall see who is right.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 am

rugbydreamer wrote:laughing

yes well I've heard he's coming to the Scarlets, so we shall see who is right.... Wink
Aye, but you just made that up! furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:laughing

Aye, but you just made that up! furious

aha! that's what you think Wink I heard it a few weeks back I'll have you know, rumours were a flying at the BLues v Scarlets match, but this one seemed more concrete than the others Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:16 am

Laugh Flying concrete - hmm Headscratch must've been at the Parc Y Scarlets then? Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:23 am

laughing you not been to CCS then? far, FAR more concrete there than at y Parc Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 am

If Evans does go I hope it is to a Welsh team, he is on cracking form I think the Ospreys are mad to let him go, it may change now Holley and Johnson have gone. It does seem strange the Scarlets lose Dom Day and Lou Reid. I thought Evans should have gone to the WRC. I suspect R Jones was lined up to go into the second row under the previous coaches but common sense may change that.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:26 am

to be fair, Evans hadn't had much rugby before the rwc, this is his first season in years where he's been injury free, and it shows as he's finally back on top form.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 am

I bet Nicky Robinson would go back to the Blues rather than the Dragons, then rotate with Tovey. Dragons have Jones, Robling and are apparently looking at Peter Grant. Then there is still Henson on the market Whistle.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 am

Poor old Ryan Davis

Thought he had a good game at 12 against Biarritz on Saturday. Maybe he'll move to 12 full time next season with Flutey moving on with Robinson and Jones filling the 10 shirt on rotation.

I've always been pretty underwhelmed by Davis at FH, but thought he looked half decent at 12, as good as I've ever seen him play at 10.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm

sirtidychris wrote:How many awesome back row forwards and props do SA have..... they keep churning them out..... it seems every NH club team signs either a SA loose forward or prop...when will this madness ever cease.

I wish Quins would sign one then.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next