The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

+10
nathan
Moorsman
ChequeredJersey
HongKongCherry
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
Equo Troiano
logansrun38
LondonTiger
yappysnap
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Turning away from the car crash that has been the Premiership clubs European campaigns, we can all focus on the third to last round of Jeff rugby that's coming up this weekend.

The current standings are:
Harlequins 19 15 1 3 66
Saracens 19 13 1 5 60
Leicester Tigers 19 12 1 6 60
Northampton Saints 19 12 0 7 56
Exeter Chiefs 19 11 0 8 53
Gloucester Rugby 19 8 1 10 43
Sale Sharks 19 8 0 11 41
Bath Rugby 19 8 0 11 39
London Irish 19 6 1 12 37
Worcester Warriors 19 7 1 11 35
London Wasps 19 6 0 13 31
Newcastle Falcons 19 4 2 13 23

Friday 13th April

Sale Sharks v Bath Rugby, Edgeley Park, Stockport

Bath travel to Sale at the closing stages of a horrid season for the West Country side. Having lost players, coaches, the LV Cup, and quite possibly Heineken rugby next season it will be an interesting test of the clubs character in what will surely be a demanding away fixture. Sale can welcome them in far better spirits and with relegation a distant blur will be looking to show that they can challenge the top six sides in a late dash. Bath's forwards have so far spectacularly underachieved and again this will be a game where a lot is riding on them, with the dismal Northern weather having a big influence expect a tight mud feast and sale's smarter and nastier pack to come out on top in what will likely be a battle of the kickers. Sale by 6 no bp.

Saturday 14th April

Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers, Franklin's Gardens, Northampton

I don't think anyone can have missed the various incidents from the last time these two have battled. Saints will welcome Tigers with the memory of their LV loss fresh in their minds, for what it's worth Leicester will surely be thinking of it as well (possibly for different reasons though). This has all the right ingredients to be the match of the season and could well be a warm up for the final in a month's time. Tigers have hit some impressive form scoring 120 points and 16 tries in their last three Prem games and while Saints have been hard working, they will be a little concerned by the lack of form of certain players. I can't really see past an away win here, the Leicester juggernaut is in full flight and while Saints have a nasty pack to slow them down, the lack of try scorers in the backs and their constant issues at 10 will be too much of a hindrance. Tigers by 12 and a bp.

Gloucester Rugby v Newcastle Falcons, Kingsholm, Gloucester
Gloucester will be looking to put as big a gap between them and the chasers as possible this weekend as they host the struggling Falcons. It has been another season of highs and lows for the Cherry and Whites but Sat should be a good chance to get back on the point scoring band wagon especially if the sun stays out. Falcons will be desperate for any points at all and will want to keep it a kick fest so the home side must open the game up as much as possible. Gloucester should be far too much for Falcons and with their exciting backline out on display will have far too much talent and pace for the visitors. Glos by 20 and a bp.

London Irish v Saracens, Madejski Stadium, Reading
I don't think anyone could have predicted the result for Saracens on Sunday. At least the match this weekend allows for some early atonement as they travel across London to the Madejski. LI are another team who've had a season to forget and after three losses on the bounce must be dreading the appearance of the men in Black. Saracens have their limitations though, as shown if you score early and create a big margin they have almost no answer, it is only if Saracens manage to keep the score tight then they are more comfortable. I can't see LI managing this unfortunately and I think we can expect a lot of aggressive defending from Saracens coupled with kicking any ball they do get, which will probably be enough to get them the win LI are that bad at the moment. Saracens by 6 no bp.

Worcester Warriors v Exeter Chiefs, Sixways, Worcester
Worcester were royaly tonked in their last game against Leicester, their much vaunted defence being breached on seven occasions by the home side. Exeter on the other hand will be upset that they lost a completely winnable knock out match against Stade last week and will be out to make amends now, especially as they still have a chance to break in to the top four if they get the win and Tigers do them a favour. The home side can probably expect their defence to be challenged less this weekend, but without Shaun Perry Worcester are pretty toothless in attack and Exeter have a mean defence of their own. This could be another game that comes down to kicking and Exeter's big kicker along with their pack which is usually so good at closing games out should be enough to win this match away for them although I think it will be close between the teams. Exeter by 3.

Harlequins v London Wasps, The Stoop, London
Harlequins will want to forget Friday night's away match, and although they might have really had one eye on the Prem the whole time capitulating like they did has to be bad for moral. Luckily for them though they are now hosting Wasps who are currently struggling near the bottom of the table and do not look to be getting away from it soon. If Quins start more of their first choice players and find that old hunger that saw them get to 14 wins on the bounce at the start of the season then it could be a very long day for Wasps who've been hit by injuries throughout the side but who's youngsters did show up well on Sunday. Unfortunately Quins slump in form has been around for a while and if they cannot get back more of their first choice players and if Evans is not on form I think the Pests could well sneak a win in a high scoring affair. Wasps by 5 with a bp.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by LondonTiger Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:51 pm

Narrow win for Sale almost confirms Bath's place in the Amlin next season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round 19 Preview & Live Match Thread

Post by yappysnap Sat 14 Apr 2012, 8:53 am

Bath really are shocking aren't they?

Good win by Sale but I do wish Barnes would stop gushing over their fullback! Yes he's quick but so are 90% of the other young English players out there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 14 Apr 2012, 9:49 am

yappysnap wrote:Bath really are shocking aren't they?

Good win by Sale but I do wish Barnes would stop gushing over their fullback! Yes he's quick but so are 90% of the other young English players out there.

Bath only started to play when time was up. McLeod's penalty came up short and they suddenly burst to life.

I do like Rob Miller - as someone who was originally a 10 he brings a little something else to the position - but yes the hyping that Sky/Barnes do of players to sell their own subscriptions can be tiring.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 14 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

Huge win for Falcons, as Glaws continue to push for an Amlin spot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Sat 14 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Wow, Chiefs, unbereal result. Awesome win!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 15 Apr 2012, 9:45 am

LondonTiger wrote:Huge win for Falcons, as Glaws continue to push for an Amlin spot.

If it were possible we'd throw that away too! Truly dreadful performance by Glaws, the set piece was woeful in the 1st half and the backs just threw it wide as quickly as possible. Whatever happened to earning the right to go wide?!

But it certainly makes next week's game interesting!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

HKC,

I think you shoul dask to play Bath every week.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Wow, Chiefs, unbereal result. Awesome win!
Yahoo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:21 am

LondonTiger wrote:HKC,

I think you shoul dask to play Bath every week.

It would get boring if we won every week! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

Can't believe Falcons have done the double over us. But credit where it's due.

We simply must beat Sale next week. Then we've got a tricky trip to Irish whilst Sale play Quins. I can't call it, wouldn't dare.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 15 Apr 2012, 10:33 am

What is it with West Country teams and consistency Bath and Glos promise so much and look at what they do!

I bet Twelvetrees will be excited to experience Amlin rugby for the first time next season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sun 15 Apr 2012, 11:03 am

Well he can take some of the blame after letting Tigers beat us twice as well.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:10 am

Equo Troiano wrote:I actually think Tigers will come away with a win and tbp. Saints are missing key players and are all at sea out in the backs. And i'm not sure how you can say that recent AP results have flattered Tigers when as has been pointed out, they've scored 120 points and 16 tries in their last three Prem games. Thats domination, that isn't luck.

I love it when a plan comes together, all ye of little faith.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2