The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez' journey

+5
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
azania
hampo17
Sugar Floyd Louis
9 posters

Go down

Alvarez' journey Empty Alvarez' journey

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Following on from a post I saw by Azania claiming this guy's an accident waiting to happen, I'm wondering if anyone is giving Mosley a chance? Boxing's funny, and besides Mayweather I think we can't overlook underdogs a la Khan-Peterson.

Got to admit I haven't watched this guy often but been impressed by the lil clips I've seen of him.

So anyways, what side are you on with this guy, is he the future and there's no stopping him? Or have you seen anything in his fights that suggests he's maybe a tad overrated?

Also is it a foregone conclusion that Mosley should retire (considering he gave Manny a decent bout) and won't stand a chance against Alvarez?

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Alvarez' journey Empty Re: Alvarez' journey

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

I like Canelo, he's young and exciting to watch. Could easily have over 100 pro bouts if he wanted to with hard work and dedication.

Personally I think SSM will be a test for him in the early rounds, Canelo hasn't been in with anyone like Mosley and it's whether he gets past that knowledge of fighting a ring legend.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Alvarez is an exciting prospect who has been carefully matched. That he is a so-called world champion without fighting a world class fighter says much of the state of boxing and its politics. Exciting doesn't mean good. By goo I mean elite level which is what he is being touted as. As soon as he steps up to fight a legit fighter he will lose. But his fight will be exciting as he comes in ready to rumble.

As for SSM being a legit opponent. Ridiculous. The guy is 40 and hasn't won a fight in 3 years. Khan was roundly and rightly criticised when the thought of him squaring up with SSM was mooted. Note he has a title shot on the back of losses against Paq, Floyd and a draw against the formidable Mora (who?).

Last edited by azania on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Trust Az to throw Khans name into an Alvarez thread (sigh)

The nuthuggery knows no bounds.....
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Trust Az to throw Khans name into an Alvarez thread (sigh)

Cue Az pointing out that 'actually' he doesn't favour Khan at all and 'in fact' has already said he expects Peterson to beat him next time etc etc...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Trust Az to throw Khans name into an Alvarez thread (sigh)

Good grief. Quit baiting and stick to the OP if you can.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:12 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Cue Az pointing out that 'actually' he doesn't favour Khan at all and 'in fact' has already said he expects Peterson to beat him next time etc etc...

Haha.

I was gonna stick to the OP before you hijacked it into an Amir Khan thread Az (tut)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Haha.

I was gonna stick to the OP before you hijacked it into an Amir Khan thread Az (tut)

In what way have I highjacked it into a Khan thread? I mentioned Khan the same number of times I mentioned Floyd, Paq and Mora. It says more about you that anything else.

Can you now go back to the OP and dont destroy what is a very good OP.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Sticking to the OP would be a good idea all round, thread is about Alvarez, not Khan if you want to discuss Khan write a thread about him or find one of the other 50 that have surely been written in the last couple of days.

Take this as the final and only warning that comments about Khan will be deleted from here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Blimmin heck, what's happened here?!

Anyways Az do remember Canelo is 21...

Bit too much to want Canelo in high risk fights. Time will come when yes we can criticise the level of opposition if it doesn't improve.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Sugar Floyd Louis wrote:Blimmin heck, what's happened here?!

Anyways Az do remember Canelo is 21...

Bit too much to want Canelo in high risk fights. Time will come when yes we can criticise the level of opposition if it doesn't improve.

Godness knows what happened there.

I'm aware of his age hence I described him as a prospect. But I'm of the school of thought that once you are a world champ you are obliged to fight the best available and not lower ranked 'named' fighters to boost your ledger and to make you look good. High risk fights comes with the territory of being world champ. Clev is getting ripped for doing the same thing to an extent.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 pm

I think he's great and might not have the talent of broner but is still a top prospect.

He's a bit slow (footwork) but he looks world class when he's throwing combo's.
Let's not forget that the kid is 21 with NO amateur experience. He was a 16/17 year old plying his trade vs older and mature opponents.

He has a strong CV as well, especially given his age. Hatton, Rhodes, Gomez, N'Dou, Baldomir, Cotto and Cintron and so far, he has been in trouble once (vs cotto) and has dominated all of those opponents.

He has a good style too, he isn't a high volume puncher but is very accurate with heavy hands and has a pretty tough guard and can counter despite not having great head movement

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 pm

That's the problem I see in him. Poor footwork and little head movement. I feel he will pay for his lack of head movement. For an aggressive fighter, head movement is essential. I also question his power at the top level.

Nevertheless he is an exciting prospect and will have exciting fights in the future. I see a relatively short career at top level, unless he continues with the same level of opponents.

A future fight with Chavez will be a huge money spinner for both of them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

azania wrote:That's the problem I see in him. Poor footwork and little head movement. I feel he will pay for his lack of head movement. For an aggressive fighter, head movement is essential. I also question his power at the top level.

Nevertheless he is an exciting prospect and will have exciting fights in the future. I see a relatively short career at top level, unless he continues with the same level of opponents.

A future fight with Chavez will be a huge money spinner for both of them.

That seems be the only flaw he has though, and vs cintron and Gomez he was showing better movement than he has previously. I don't question his power, hatton took a real beating, Rhodes (I rate Rhodes as fringe world level) got stopped and could have happened earlier, Gomez was leggy and Alvarez showed real killer instinct and
Cintron got shaken with every punch. He is a huge light middle and and throws with the intention o hurt, eve his jab looks like power punch.

His matchmaking is slowly getting better and while Mosley is past it, he is a great name for marketing purposes and stopping him will be a huge achievement still

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 pm

SSM was past it when he could only draw with Mora and that was 4 years ago. Sorry but its a shockingly bad choice. Nothing other than name recognition. He should fight the best in the division and not the best names who are half a decade past their prime.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

19 months not 4 years*

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm

He deserves a bit more praise. He isn't going to fight the very best at 20, let's be real.

He defences imo are better than champions like burns, cleverly etc. at least you know the people he's fighting. Cintron lost to Molina and was past his prime, but Molina has proved he is a top guy and someone who is almost impossible to look good against so the manner of his stoppage win was still very credible.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:41 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:He deserves a bit more praise. He isn't going to fight the very best at 20, let's be real.

He defences imo are better than champions like burns, cleverly etc. at least you know the people he's fighting. Cintron lost to Molina and was past his prime, but Molina has proved he is a top guy and someone who is almost impossible to look good against so the manner of his stoppage win was still very credible.

I'd give him praise if he was not a 'world champion'. His age is irrelevant. If you're the world champ you are supposed to be the best (or top 4) and as such you fight the best available out of the contenders.

He's a good prospect fighting the right people for a prospect learning his trade. But he is a supposed world champ and the prospect tag should be lost and he should be judged as a champion and not a prospect. Harsh maybe, but that's how I see it.

I still believe he's an accident waiting to happen because his flaws are serious and I doubt he will remedy them before he suffers brutally for it.

He's a very exciting fighter though. SO is James Kirkland and I'd like to see them square off and throw bombs at each other. That will be a 3 round fight and I cant call the winner. Who lands first wins.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:19 months not 4 years*

He's lost his last 2 fights. 3 out of his last 6 fights. Pushing 41 years old. He should not be fighting anyone let alone fighting for a world title. Its a shameful matchup.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:05 pm

He's lost his last fight before which was a draw, I don't even have to use Boxrec to know that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Talk about splitting hairs ghosty. For me he shouldn't be anywhere near a world title shot. Against Paq he looked ouit of sorts and his fight with Mora was simply dire. He's just not good enough anymore.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am

Its not a great choice of opponent but its not a bad fight when you consider its an undercard fight. Especially with Cotto and Mayweather in the same division headlining.

I think some people have mentioned flaws in Alvarez game but to be honest I think they are made in fights where he is just so comfortable that he can aford to take one to land one and have a defence a bit more open. The power from the likes of Hatton or Rhodes isnt going to trouble him so he can walk them down if he wants to.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Manos... also we mustn't forget..... there's every possibility he could improve A LOT!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down