The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that

+12
nganboy
anotherworldofpain
sugarNspikes
doctor_grey
BigTrevsbigmac
Taylorman
ospreysboyo
majesticimperialman
kiakahaaotearoa
Morgannwg
Running Dragon
A World Cup and 3 Finals
16 posters

Go down

That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that Empty That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_union/4253818/Ex-All-Blacks-ace-Wayne-Smith-is-favourite-to-coach-England-backs.html

So it seems that it's official, although we all knew it all along, that the Strettle try was a try, hence no moral GS for Wales and England unbeaten - great start for the fledgling boys in white.

With Wayne Smith, and Dave Ellis supporting Lancaster, the potential of this team is enormous. Imagine how good they can be with the amount of experience of a more established team like Wales and this well balanced coaching team. I mean, in their first 6N this team of kids were unbeaten and but for a bit of sloppy play from an unfit Lawes, GS winners, this time next year they'll be unstoppable in the NH and mounting a serious challenge to the top spot in world rugby soon after.

There is an embarrassment of riches at half back at the moment in England, the envy of all international squads, as always a world class pack and some really exciting backs coming through with the coaching set up to take full advantage. Great times to be an England fan!

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that Empty Re: That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that

Post by Running Dragon Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Wales will be the team knocking the ABs off their perch, not England, particularly now that Gatland may not be around, heals and Lions etc.
The future is Welsh and England will be fighting it out with Italy and Scotland for the crumbs. Very Happy

Running Dragon

Back to top Go down

That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that Empty Re: That try, Wayne Smith, England's prospects and all that

Post by Morgannwg Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Spoiler:

Yahoo
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Spoiler:

laughing

Source

Daily Mail Online, Peters Sam 25th February 2012. [WWW] Can be accessed at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2106445/Six-Nations-2012-Sam-Warburton-hails-Wales-Triple-Crown-victory.html
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Running Dragon wrote:Wales will be the team knocking the ABs off their perch, not England, particularly now that Gatland may not be around, heals and Lions etc.
The future is Welsh and England will be fighting it out with Italy and Scotland for the crumbs. Very Happy

Let´s just see how Wales do in Australia first before we start talking about knocking the ABs off their perch. Australia after all are the 3N Champs and forever will be it pains me to say given there is a new competition this year.

Then again, good news for Scotland. They are the eternal 5N champs.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 pm

That try, was it a try or not?

I thought it was but the TMO, said it was not. So England win 4 games and lose 1. Wales on the other hand win ALL 5 of their games and get the Grand Slam. That argument is over.

Wayne Smith, Have England even ask to talk to him yet?

The last i heard England have NOT been in contact with him yet.

If England could get Wayne Smith AND Dave Ellis, then England in the up and coming years, could well be the team of the future. But untill it gets comfirmed that England have spoken to Smith and Ellis, then it is all just wish full thinking.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreysboyo Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 pm

That article is bitter even for the Sun, England were two charge-downs/lucky bounce tries away from losing to both Italy and Scotland but the media seem to completely ignore that, as well as a missed dropgoal away from losing to France, fine margins for ALL teams this 6n to be honest!

ospreysboyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:29 am

Imagine if smith came down and had another bite at yours biltong. king

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 am

ospreysboyo wrote:That article is bitter even for the Sun, England were two charge-downs/lucky bounce tries away from losing to both Italy and Scotland but the media seem to completely ignore that, as well as a missed dropgoal away from losing to France, fine margins for ALL teams this 6n to be honest!

Entirely right thumbsup

Likewise the Western Mail would spin it as a well deserved grand slam for Wales ( can't blame them!)

Referreeing/TMO Decisions could easily have given Wales a loss and a draw.

We all spin it to suit our own teams the truth is the 6Ns table could easily have looked very different and we would all still be having the same arguments.
Look back on Wales 4th place position in the previous years it could easily have been different then....

There is very little difference between the Nations at the moment, but we are at different stages of development.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:That try, was it a try or not?

I thought it was but the TMO, said it was not. So England win 4 games and lose 1. Wales on the other hand win ALL 5 of their games and get the Grand Slam. That argument is over.
Ah, but you misunderestimate the powers of The Sun. That fount of all-seeing knowledge disagrees with you. And The Sun can't be wrong, can they (it?)? After all, they know what people are saying on their mobolie phones, don't they/

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:There is very little difference between the Nations at the moment, but we are at different stages of development.
I think that's an important point and the reason why England fans are quite optimistic. Finishing runners up in the 6Ns at that stage in the development ie pretty much square 1 (new coaches, many new players, following a poor world cup with attached controversy etc) wasn't too bad. If an upward arc can be maintained (including getting the right replacement(s) for Farrell) this set-up could really go places. I don't think its wrong to say that, in recent years, even at a low ebb England are there or thereabout in terms of NH rugby. Obviously the big three in the SH are a slightly different matter.

Nowt wrong with a bit of optimism Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Actually for so fresh team and not frequent combinator England frightening most teams in this six nation just finish.

Wales are good yes, but also had a bit lucky a few times so maybe not time to refresh the ice bucket for shampain.

It is hard to see the Wales much more further there game, but England you admit are not looking so good yet. But still the score is so close! How is this? My mind is great potention. I do not know if Mr Wayne Smith is the perfect calling to England. My mind is the style do not match.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:02 am

Agree with another. Smith is good with backs. England traditionally good forwards can he really get the combination right? He struggled a bit with the ABs but did well with the Crusaders.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:08 am

You have to laugh tho, I am not saying he wouldn't, but would Farrel have kicked such a high pressure kick from the touchline to get the draw ? It's all if's and but's. I like to talk facts, and the facts are the try was not given so Wales won, then went on to win their next two games and take the SLAM. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm

What is it about England prospects/future threads that are positivly swamped by drooling welsh supporters who can't wait to show off their shoulder chips and flare for being bad winners? Rolling Eyes

Good to see the English posters are demonstrating a lot more class by not bombarding the welsh future of rugby thread.

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:So it seems that it's official, although we all knew it all along, that the Strettle try was a try

It wasn't given, so it wasn't a try. No amount of arguement will make it other, although stuff like this is the kind of fat chewing that makes Rugby arguement tick over!

I would love to see Wayne Smith come in, but at the moment this is all speculation, and as far as i'm concerned this tabloid junk is the exact kind of thing that should be well steered away from. Tabloid sensationalism, as far as i'm concerned, has been one of the the banes of English rugby for the last decade (along with an RFU that actually listens to it!) and speculation is a big part of the this. So what happens if Smith doesn't join? The hypes been built up, then what? I hate that attitude. Report it when it happens, not maybes/ifs.

One thing i like about SL so far is level headedness and there is no quick fix, silver bullet solution, just hard graft and earning your place through your laurels and proper attitude. Yet the nature of the tabloid beast is what it is i suppose.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:You have to laugh tho, I am not saying he wouldn't, but would Farrel have kicked such a high pressure kick from the touchline to get the draw ?
Going from my beer addled memory Flood was on for Farrell by then. And he probably would have missed it. Rolling Eyes
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

nobbled wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:You have to laugh tho, I am not saying he wouldn't, but would Farrel have kicked such a high pressure kick from the touchline to get the draw ?
Going from my beer addled memory Flood was on for Farrell by then. And he probably would have missed it. Rolling Eyes

oh well then I would not expect Flood to have kicked it, but hey ho, I do hope England do get the coaches they want though, at least then Wales can have some tidy opposition to challange them. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

AlastairW wrote:
I would love to see Wayne Smith come in, but at the moment this is all speculation, and as far as i'm concerned this tabloid junk is the exact kind of thing that should be well steered away from. Tabloid sensationalism, as far as i'm concerned, has been one of the the banes of English rugby for the last decade (along with an RFU that actually listens to it!) and speculation is a big part of the this. So what happens if Smith doesn't join? The hypes been built up, then what? I hate that attitude. Report it when it happens, not maybes/ifs.

Completely agree - this report of what "may happen" - dressed up as news. A meteor "may" hit the Earth kind of tabloid cack.
It's not helpful. It's not news. It winds me up.
mad
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
nobbled wrote:

oh well then I would not expect Flood to have kicked it, but hey ho, I do hope England do get the coaches they want though, at least then Wales can have some tidy opposition to challange them. Wink

i think you'll find in that sort of situation an England try is worth 8 points thus making the need for the conversion redundant. I'm almost, totally convinced it's in the rules somwhere... Erm
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:52 pm

AlastairW wrote:What is it about England prospects/future threads that are positivly swamped by drooling welsh supporters who can't wait to show off their shoulder chips and flare for being bad winners? Rolling Eyes

What else would you expect in reply to what The SUn have written?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down