Season updates thread

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Season updates thread

Post by hodge on Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I just thought for anyone who is playing this season that we could have a thread where people give updates on how their season is going both personally and for their team if they are interested?

As I said in another thread I have what are apparantly my university's first every cricket games thursday and friday this week and i'm captaining the side, no pressure there Shocked We have Newport cricket clubs midweek team on thursday and face UWE 2nd XI on friday who a freind of mine is captain so we have a little wager on the outcome of the game. Loser has to buy the winner a drink for every club 2nd XI game we both play in Shocked Again no pressure there!

Anyways good luck to everyone for this season, unless somehow in some strange case you end up playing against me! boxing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Re: Season updates thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 2:45 pm

Attritional stuff now as the draw just beginning to come into play as possible outcome. (Only tho if Middlesex lost a number of early wickets which forced them to defend.)  Minimum overs remaining 47, with the lead 229.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

deleted post

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 2:50 pm

[wrong thread]

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 2:59 pm

wrong thread again!

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:00 pm

Wrong thread again...

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:04 pm

Wrong thread again....!

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 22 May 2017, 3:06 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Foakes takes single off first ball of new over! Shocked Shocked   Not a good idea imho!

Erm, wrong thread Corporal?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 23 May 2017, 4:36 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Yep, good luck, Pete. Valley End is just up the road from my gaff Guildford Towers.Very Happy A bit of a yoyo side, being regularly promoted to and relegated from the Surrey Championship. Mind you, that's the top level here before full-time County cricket. Some of their players were on the books at Surrey and Middlesex - hopefully, they won't be featuring on Sunday although it might be best to try and get your numbers fully up! Wink

We're in Guildford this weekend mate, playing Sanford Arms CC

Unfortunately for us we only had 10 men, while Valley End's first XI were rained off on Saturday so 2-3 of them opted to play against us yesterday. We got put in on a pitch that their 2nds defended 80 on on Saturday. It was green enough for plenty of swing, and soft enough that the odd ball was stopping, meaning we struggled through to 101 all out in 40 overs - I carried my bat for 32 not out, after struggling in the early overs (I was on 7 at drinks Doh ) then not getting much strike at the end. Only 2 others made double figures.

We started OK with the ball, knocking over both openers early, before their giant of a #3 started depositing balls into the treetops on the boundary, and knocking off the last 70 runs in 6 overs

Hi Pete - just worked my way through all the Corporal's deleted posts to find this one from you. Wink

Given you were a man short and Valley End had 2-3 first teamers playing, an 8 wicket defeat isn't the end of the world! Congrats on your own contribution as well.

I don't know Sanford Arms but suspect you'll find them a pretty social and bit gentler opposition. Good luck again!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

Our rather dismal start to the season with the bat continued this week - all out for 90, including yours truly for a duck as I played down the wrong line to an inswinger, plumb LBW. At least the weather was nice, and a cracking location in Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire.

We were playing Sir Tim Rice's Heartaches, who provided a superb afternoon tea at least before knocking off the runs. We're still yet to dismiss their opening bat in about 6 years of trying (we did beat them last year by keeping him off strike when they needed 10 off the last over)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 12:12 pm

Not quite as bad as me leaving one that hit clattered halfway up middle and off stump this weekend Pete - didn't even swing or anything, I just didn't play a shot!

But...our young 13 year old Norfolk leg spinner took the ridiculous figures of 2.5-2-1-6

Yes 6 wickets for 1 run off 2.5 overs. The first two were admittedly long hops hit straight to square leg, but the next four were magnificent. One googly between bat and pad, one leggie that was caught at slip and the final one bowled the batsman round his legs. I do enjoy playing for our 4th team with all these youngsters, we're very lucky to have such a strong youth section
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 2:53 pm

Had a decent start to the season, cracked 20 league wickets at less than 8 and over 120 runs already and we are sitting fourth. Can't complain.

The biggest issue we are facing in our league at the moment is the amount of concessions. The season is 7 weeks old and there have been 20 conceded games across all leagues already - this is not a new problem, it has been getting steadily worse over the last few seasons. Pretty depressing stuff!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 12 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

JDizzle wrote:Had a decent start to the season, cracked 20 league wickets at less than 8 and over 120 runs already and we are sitting fourth. Can't complain.

The biggest issue we are facing in our league at the moment is the amount of concessions. The season is 7 weeks old and there have been 20 conceded games across all leagues already - this is not a new problem, it has been getting steadily worse over the last few seasons. Pretty depressing stuff!

Ouch.

At Village level, we had 3 games cancelled last season due to the oppos not being able to field a team. In our 3 matches to date this season (we only play a dozen or so games spread across the season so not every week) we've fielded 10 players twice (in one of those the oppo also had 10) & on Saturday our 11th man was an Icelandic mate of our club captain who'd never held a bat before (in fairness he properly middled the ball he got out to, more than I can say).

Anecdotally the teams we play say player recruitment is getting harder - possibly the impact of no cricket on free to air TV finally filtering through to adult ranks?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:59 am

4 games done for the season, and 4 losses - our bowling has been fair, batting and fielding a bit lacking.

I arrived at the ground at 13.55 (trains mutter mutter) & got told to pad up & go in to face 1st ball at 14:00 - our other opener for the day normally bats 8 so I was a bit apprehensive to say the least.

As expected, other opener & #3 went cheaply though both hung around a while against tight bowling on a flat but slow deck - I'd crept through to 7* by the 1st drinks break after 12 overs, & we were 5 down pretty quickly after. I managed accelerate a little later on (added 50 with our #7, but getting out slogging in the 35th over for 39 was too slow Sad. And I was utterly exhausted come time to field too after 3 hours in the middle in the heat - there were a couple of half-chances that came near me at slip that I might've at least gotten a hand to on a good day

Our 124/8 was far too little, especially after our opening bowlers were just the right pace to get smashed (admittedly with a few potential chances going just wide of fielders) & the oppo got there in 15 overs 3 down.

Worryingly my 39 is the highest score posted by any of our bats this season, & we've only had 1 score over 30 in each of our matches. It's the first time the captain-on-the-day hasn't top-scored too (he was a DNB at #11)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Not quite as bad as me leaving one that hit clattered halfway up middle and off stump this weekend Pete - didn't even swing or anything, I just didn't play a shot!

But...our young 13 year old Norfolk leg spinner took the ridiculous figures of 2.5-2-1-6

Yes 6 wickets for 1 run off 2.5 overs. The first two were admittedly long hops hit straight to square leg, but the next four were magnificent. One googly between bat and pad, one leggie that was caught at slip and the final one bowled the batsman round his legs. I do enjoy playing for our 4th team with all these youngsters, we're very lucky to have such a strong youth section

An update on this - our 13 year old leggie has since taken two more five fors, and today played for our 3rd XI, and took 5-23 off 9 overs - don't think he'll be playing for us again!

Our 4th team are going well (team I play in), we've won 4 of our last 5, and are now 4th in the league following promotion last year. I am going well personally, I made 74 off 66 opening in the one game we lost (Chasing 330 off 45 overs, my opening partner got 22 off 81 balls - he hasn't played since!), and today I made 94. Unaware I was on such score, I came down the wicket and missed a hoik off the spinner and was stumped. Gutted, but we won by 80 runs, and the second top score in the match was 33 by their #6, so I'm pleased!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 9:43 pm

Olly - well done, mate. Take your bat when next at the Oval.clap Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat 15 Jul 2017, 10:11 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote: I am going well personally, I made 74 off 66 opening in the one game we lost (Chasing 330 off 45 overs, my opening partner got 22 off 81 balls - he hasn't played since!), and today I made 94. Unaware I was on such score, I came down the wicket and missed a hoik off the spinner and was stumped. Gutted, but we won by 80 runs, and the second top score in the match was 33 by their #6, so I'm pleased!

You're not a moonlighting Olly Pope are you? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 10:52 am

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - well done, mate. Take your bat when next at the Oval.clap Wink

Averaging 38.73 this season if I include my pre season friendly 52 not out (which I do because a red inker is always good for the average Smile)

Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 1:34 am

Sounds like a fine run of form , Olly . Keep it going thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 9:03 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Olly - well done, mate. Take your bat when next at the Oval.clap Wink

Averaging 38.73 this season if I include my pre season friendly 52 not out (which I do because a red inker is always good for the average Smile)

Nice one.

Last weekend I filled in for one of our regular rivals (our Saturday game had been cancelled due to lack of numbers, & they were short on the Sunday). Turned up and got asked to wicket-keep in a 40 over match. That's the longest stint of keeping I've ever done, & it was a hot day - was sore for most of last week, & the bruises on my forearms from standing up to the spinners (I lost track of a few down leg behind the batsman) are still fading. We lost 3 fielders to injury along the way (broken finger, strained shoulder, & pulled hamstring) - but we borrowed a couple of local lads to bat for us from the home team's Saturday side, and they nearly got up up to the 270 we needed.

I got sent in to open our reply after tea, and made a very tired 4. Which is definitely not going onto my average for the season Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

Pete - getting sent in to open after keeping on a hot day for 40 overs, the most you've ever done. It's right to ensure the guest player is involved but not to kill the guy off! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Pete - getting sent in to open after keeping on a hot day for 40 overs, the most you've ever done. It's right to ensure the guest player is involved but not to kill the guy off! Wink

That thought did cross my mind as I trudged off Guildford Wink

5 games played this season, and I've kept wicket for 3 of them. And I haven't managed to get a bowl yet either. May have to look at changing my job description ...

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 4:56 pm

Found some form with bat so far this year...scored 1 century and 2 half centuries...averaging 62 after 8 games Smile

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 8:04 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Not quite as bad as me leaving one that hit clattered halfway up middle and off stump this weekend Pete - didn't even swing or anything, I just didn't play a shot!

An update on this - our 13 year old leggie has since taken two more five fors, and today played for our 3rd XI, and took 5-23 off 9 overs - don't think he'll be playing for us again!

Our 4th team are going well (team I play in), we've won 4 of our last 5, and are now 4th in the league following promotion last year. I am going well personally, I made 74 off 66 opening in the one game we lost (Chasing 330 off 45 overs, my opening partner got 22 off 81 balls - he hasn't played since!), and today I made 94. Unaware I was on such score, I came down the wicket and missed a hoik off the spinner and was stumped. Gutted, but we won by 80 runs, and the second top score in the match was 33 by their #6, so I'm pleased!

In the past two weeks I've scored 2, and yesterday I scored 91 - two extremes! The 2 I stupidly tried to cut a ball from off stump, which ended up bowling me and yesterday I was caught on the fence trying to push the rate up!

We've had two close losses - the first game where I scored 2 we lost by 3 runs chasing 205, and yesterday we lost by 1 wicket defending 194, and dropped the final wicket twice for victory....annoying to say the least!

I am now top run scorer in the division however (http://norfolkcl.play-cricket.com/website/web_pages/862 - link here, division is Division 3 east) with 413 runs in 12 innings at an average of 34.42 with 4 half centuries. Going well this year, and weirdly I am playing better away from home where we usually play on uncovered village hall wickets rather than our home Norfolk cricket prepared pitch!! Maybe I need to concentrate at home better....

Speaking of Norfolk cricket - they are currently playing Bedfordshire in the minor counties championship, and a certain Monty Panesar is playing for Bedfordshire. I will be going down tomorrow afternoon weather permitting to see him bowl, he should enjoy our home ground as it is usually prepared for spinners...
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 1:50 pm

We had our annual "Festival" game yesterday - 2 teams assembled from players off our regular/occasionals lists, & played 2 T15s where everyone had to bowl at least 1 over across the 2 matches, and max. 5 overs across both. And the batting orders were reversed for match 2.

Managed 2 overs 1 maiden 0-5 in my first competitive bowl of the season, then kept wicket in our 2nd fielding stint, 1 catch, 1 stumping. Was run out for 4 in my only bat though.

The score across the 2 matches was 1-1, so we had a bowl-off - all 11 players from each side getting 1 ball at an open wicket. Which finished 0-0! Good afternoon tea, and post-match bbq though
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 01 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote: The score across the 2 matches was 1-1, so we had a bowl-off - all 11 players from each side getting 1 ball at an open wicket. Which finished 0-0! Good afternoon tea, and post-match bbq though
Very Happy clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 12:11 pm

Forgive me for being a bit happy tonight but I've managed to get back on the field today for only the second time this season (nagging back/leg pain has had me struggling for months ; sometimes nearly giving up. Costing me a small fortune in physio's fees etc too)
Nothing special ; eight over spell , couple of wickets , in a losing cause ; but at least it gives me hope of playing semi-regularly this year : and hopefully fixing the problem completely so my new boots don't go to waste Smile

Stiff tonight but at least I can still walk...which is better than my previous attempt a month ago. Onwards and upwards !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 12:45 pm

Great stuff Alfie - fingers crossed this is the first step of many positive ones!
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 1:48 pm

Yeah, well done, Alfie. In any form of the game, a couple of wickets is always a proper return. clap thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:39 am

Thanks chaps

Walking normally again now , just 24 hours later ...so reasonably optimistic for next week and the after Christmas part of the season.

But I'd better let Bayliss know he will have to look elsewhere for net bowlers this Boxing Day Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum