The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season updates thread

+21
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
seanmichaels
kingraf
DP
NickisBHAFC
Carrotdude
alfie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Barney92
Liam
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
hampo17
Shelsey93
JDizzle
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Fists of Fury
hodge
25 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Season updates thread - Page 13 Empty Season updates thread

Post by hodge Mon 16 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

First topic message reminder :

I just thought for anyone who is playing this season that we could have a thread where people give updates on how their season is going both personally and for their team if they are interested?

As I said in another thread I have what are apparantly my university's first every cricket games thursday and friday this week and i'm captaining the side, no pressure there Shocked We have Newport cricket clubs midweek team on thursday and face UWE 2nd XI on friday who a freind of mine is captain so we have a little wager on the outcome of the game. Loser has to buy the winner a drink for every club 2nd XI game we both play in Shocked Again no pressure there!

Anyways good luck to everyone for this season, unless somehow in some strange case you end up playing against me! boxing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Season updates thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Season updates thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Feb 2023, 3:12 pm

Top work Alfie to make that comeback in season - get yourself rested and ready for next summer!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 02 May 2023, 2:43 pm

Season started on Saturday - I was out twice in 5 deliveries for 2 runs. (Dropped on 0, second ball by square leg).

Not a good start!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 03 May 2023, 9:02 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Season started on Saturday - I was out twice in 5 deliveries for 2 runs. (Dropped on 0, second ball by square leg).

Not a good start!

Only way is up from that !

At least you didn't waste valuable deliveries and mess with the Run Rate Smile

Look forward to a report of a quick bounce-back next week thumbsup

alfie

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 May 2023, 12:00 pm

A bounce back indeed happened Alfie! 24 run victory, including 56 off 82 balls for yours truly...played in quite frankly horrid conditions, constant light drizzle all day and tbh if we hadn't already started and got into the match by the time it started, I doubt we'd have gone on and played in it. But, batted much better this week and felt more comfortable, think the conditions made me concentrate properly

https://horsford.play-cricket.com/website/results/5792520
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 30 May 2023, 10:46 am

Last couple of weeks have been not so good for me

Rained off three weeks ago

Two weeks ago we were away at 1st in the division, with only 10 players (of which 4 were players, playing up a side) - won the toss and batted first, was going nicely on 18* before I was triggered by one of our own players for one which never in a million years was hitting the stumps, going miles down leg to the point only the bowler half appealed and the keeper was like "oh he's given you out". Just what you need

This saturday was bowled for 1, dumb dumb leave which bowled me off stump. Not my finest moment, wasn't concentrating properly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 30 May 2023, 2:00 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Last couple of weeks have been not so good for me

Two weeks ago we were away at 1st in the division, with only 10 players (of which 4 were players, playing up a side) - won the toss and batted first, was going nicely on 18* before I was triggered by one of our own players for one which never in a million years was hitting the stumps, going miles down leg to the point only the bowler half appealed and the keeper was like "oh he's given you out". Just what you need

This saturday was bowled for 1, dumb dumb leave which bowled me off stump. Not my finest moment, wasn't concentrating properly

Bu..er of a time for DRS to go down , eh Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 30 May 2023, 2:18 pm

alfie wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Last couple of weeks have been not so good for me

Bu..er of a time for DRS to go down , eh Very Happy

Honestly I know it's only a village game of cricket, but you spend all week pulling a side together, you're finally playing and not only playing, I was feeling SO good with the bat too (which like happens a few times a year), and you're not even out when you're out.

This dumb sport that we love really tests you sometimes Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 17 Jun 2023, 11:37 pm

So last three weeks I've posted scores of 34, 40 and then today, 104*

Properly in the groove batting wise - game has never felt as good. 104* today was in a score of 165-8 team wise, next top score was 18...! Scorecard below for proof

https://horsford.play-cricket.com/website/results/5793449
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 17 Jun 2023, 11:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:So last three weeks I've posted scores of 34, 40 and then today, 104*

Properly in the groove batting wise - game has never felt as good. 104* today was in a score of 165-8 team wise, next top score was 18...! Scorecard below for proof

https://horsford.play-cricket.com/website/results/5793449

Wonderful, Olly - really well done! clap clap And a couple of snaffles as well.

PS I assume ''your Jamie Smith'' isn't the Surrey and future England player.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 18 Jun 2023, 5:04 am

Well done Olly ! Glad to hear you are on a run of great form.

We should maybe give Baz a call : you wouldn't have missed that stumping I'm sure Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Jul 2023, 11:03 pm

Bizarre game today - opposition batted first and were 80-2 off 15 overs at the first drinks break, and ended up 99 all out after 23 overs. Not seen a collapse quite like it!

We knocked it off for two down, I got 43*. This following last week, where me and my best mate Rob knocked off 142 as the opening pair and I ended 65*.

Good couple of wins, good few weeks. 10 games into the year, 364 runs at an average of 52 (those red inkers the last few weeks helping!). 2 fifties and a century. Seeing it so well at the moment, just need to remember to keep my head and get myself in (week after the century was out for 1, flashing at a wide one 3rd ball)

https://horsford.play-cricket.com/player_stats/batting/4986545?rule_type_id=179
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 17 Dec 2023, 12:53 am

Very late start to a season for me : that shoulder issue flared and kept me out of the early games this year and then it rained for two weeks solid. Some trepidation yesterday wondering if the tricky body parts would hold up for even a couple of overs ... rather relieved when my very first ball removed the opposition opener who unwisely left an inswinger...thought then it might be my lucky day.

Sort of was as I ended up bowling a full allocation of 8 overs and taking 5/22 (without my arm actually falling off) ; though it and other joints are a bit sore this morning. But unfortunately we then managed to drop about ten catches allowing the opposition to regroup and post a winning score. Hasn't been a good season so far for my usual side but hoping we can do better when resuming after Christmas... but at least I can now look forward with some confidence to playing regularly again in January...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Dec 2023, 11:32 am

alfie wrote:Very late start to a season for me : that shoulder issue flared and kept me out of the early games this year and then it rained for two weeks solid. Some trepidation yesterday wondering if the tricky body parts would hold up for even a couple of overs ... rather relieved when my very first ball removed the opposition opener who unwisely left an inswinger...thought then it might be my lucky day.

Sort of was as I ended up bowling a full allocation of 8 overs and taking 5/22 (without my arm actually falling off) ; though it and other joints are a bit sore this morning. But unfortunately we then managed to drop about ten catches allowing the opposition to regroup and post a winning score. Hasn't been a good season so far for my usual side but hoping we can do better when resuming after Christmas... but at least I can now look forward with some confidence to playing regularly again in January...

Great to hear that news Alfie - both you are back playing, but also rattling through the oppo again! On the honours board heart
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 18 Dec 2023, 1:07 pm

Why thank you , Olly. I suppose the stars aligned for me on Saturday and not really expecting to find the going as easy in January...but we do play the same opponent a few rounds on so will be interesting to see if they've worked me out Wink

Seriously , just delighted to be able to play again - have found Saturdays strangely empty when unable to do more than spectate. Keeping fingers crossed that the body will hold together for the next couple of months . And hopefully to play a moderately useful part for the team going forward...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 25 Feb 2024, 3:35 am

While waiting for play to resume in India , a final (somewhat self-indulgent , forgive me ) season report ...

As fate would have it , January didn't bring me continued success...maybe overdid it at practice which caused more injury issues . So after a couple of short and unsuccessful spells - not helped by the fact that we kept getting bowled out for under 100 so defending became frankly impossible - and annoyingly having to miss a couple of games due to some healthy weeks coinciding with byes for the side , a related injury sidelined me for most of February Sad

Desperate to play the last round yesterday (team was short of players anyway) so combined massage , painkillers and perhaps unwise determination to play through anything and opened the bowling : again with a lousy 110 on the board. Got smacked for a few boundaries by an aggressive opener keen for an early beer but had the last laugh when he skied one to mid off  ... and happily also found that after a couple of (painful !) overs the muscles sort of settled and finished with some respectable tight overs in a bit more comfort. We lost , but at least made them work for the runs so altogether not a bad note to end the season on. Hope it isn't my swan song (bit of physio work needed for the next few months !) but if it was then at least gratifying to finish with a couple of my old teammates who had also made the effort to come back from injury absences.

Bit sore today but wouldn't have missed it for anything. Just love this game...

alfie

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 25 Feb 2024, 9:23 am

alfie wrote:While waiting for play to resume in India , a final (somewhat self-indulgent , forgive me ) season report ...

As fate would have it , January didn't bring me continued success...maybe overdid it at practice which caused more injury issues . So after a couple of short and unsuccessful spells - not helped by the fact that we kept getting bowled out for under 100 so defending became frankly impossible - and annoyingly having to miss a couple of games due to some healthy weeks coinciding with byes for the side , a related injury sidelined me for most of February Sad

Desperate to play the last round yesterday (team was short of players anyway) so combined massage , painkillers and perhaps unwise determination to play through anything and opened the bowling : again with a lousy 110 on the board. Got smacked for a few boundaries by an aggressive opener keen for an early beer but had the last laugh when he skied one to mid off  ... and happily also found that after a couple of (painful !) overs the muscles sort of settled and finished with some respectable tight overs in a bit more comfort. We lost , but at least made them work for the runs so altogether not a bad note to end the season on. Hope it isn't my swan song (bit of physio work needed for the next few months !) but if it was then at least gratifying to finish with a couple of my old teammates who had also made the effort to come back from injury absences.

Bit sore today but wouldn't have missed it for anything. Just love this game...

Top stuff Alfie - hope the body doesn’t punish you too much, and some physio and good maintenance over the winter mean that isn’t a swan song!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 25 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm

Top stuff indeed, Alfie. Always good to finish with something in the end column. Winter well, my friend.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13