The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!)

4 posters

Go down

Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!) Empty Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!)

Post by Birmingham Bulls Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:58 pm

Spoiler:

Leon Williamson is a power Running Back for the Birmingham Bulls. But for injury forcing Leon to sit out a regular season game in 2011, he would have surpassed the treasured 1000 yard rushing mark. As we count down the days until the 2012 season begins for the Bulls, Leon has taken the time to answer questions put forward by you, the fans…

Q: Tell us a little about your background…

Leon: Born and raised in Birmingham. Humble upbringing, I am the eldest of three children and have always been in to sports. I played football (soccer), basketball and cricket through school. I’m pretty much a quiet guy, but when I get on the field, either training or a game, you wouldn’t think that! I couldn’t keep myself out of trouble at school. I was really bored and wasted the last few years of school - but turned my life around and went college to get the grades I should have got in school. I also did a few training courses, and now I’m working and in my final year of Uni.

Q: What was your favorite sport growing up?

Leon: Football (soccer).

Q: When did you first play American Football and how were you exposed to the game?

Leon: Damo, a friend of mine, used to play for the Birmingham Bulls a few seasons ago and he told me to come along. It took me 2 years before I decided to come and have a look.

Q: What got you into American Football, rather than rugby?

Leon: I came down to the Bulls’ open training day at Moor Lane (the old home ground) a few years ago after Damo convinced me to come along. I only went to watch but after about 20 minutes asked Coach Steve ‘House’ Hannington if I could join in. #61 Mark Pagett blew me up and I just loved the game. I was never really into rugby to be honest.

Q: Which NFL team(s) do you support / follow?

Leon: New Orleans Saints as they were the first team that I ever saw on TV.

Q: Who is your favorite professional running back?

Leon: Reggie Bush. Again, for the same reason as above – the first running back I saw.

Q: Which brand of gloves do you use, why, and what makes them any better than others on the market?

Leon: At the moment, I’m using Cutters. I don’t really have a brand that I like more than any other...and I buy gloves every year.

Q: Do you just wear regular football/rugby boots or do you wear American Football boots/cleats?

Leon: Depends on the ground. If it’s a hard ground, I wear astro-turf trainers. On soft or wet ground, I wear American Football cleats.

Q: Do you prefer running through the middle, or going to the outside?

Leon: BOTH! I just love contact!

Q: Personally, what’s your favorite run you’ve made?

Leon: Last season (2011), against Oxford Saints. I think it was a 30 yard run, I read my blocks, cut inside, skipped a few tackles and into the end zone.

Ed. – Personally it was the 2010 match-up at South Wales Warriors which seemed to last 10 minutes (it was only 40 yards!), as Leon stayed behind some great O-Line blocks before eventually breaking free.

Q: What is your favorite receiving route, if any?

Leon: The flare. It’s my favorite, but also my most hated! Check out the the hit put on Reggie Bush a few years ago…that says it all!

Q: Is 1000 yards your personal target this season, or even higher?

Leon: I would love to break the 1000 yard mark, so yeah it is my personal target. Also, as we’re in the Premier Division (North) for 2012, it would make it that much sweeter. I’m always pushing myself each game to new levels.

Q: Is there a lot of competition/rivalry between the offensive and defensive sides of a team?

Leon: At the Bulls, of course! And I’m in the middle of it, stirring the pot....I used to be on the D (Linebacker), but now I’m on the O....

Q: How big is your playbook?

Leon: The playbook is pretty big – but that’s all I can say about it without giving anything away!

Q: Do you think it is a sport for young kids or is it an adult only thing?

Leon: I think it’s a great sport for kids to be playing, and not just for adults. There are so many kids out there that don’t play sports, or are only exposed to football / rugby, because of the TV coverage they receive. But this sport is definitely for those that want to try something new. Young or old, all are welcome. The Bulls have teams from ages 14-16 (Youth), 16-19 (Junior) and 19+ (Senior).

Q: Your average UK person who follows other sports tends to think American Football is soft because of the padding. How would you describe the physical nature of the game and do the collisions hurt?

Leon: When you’re running full speed into someone, the collisions hurt. Well, I wouldn’t say hurt, but it can be a shock to the system as this is the only sport I know of where you are taught to embrace the hits. Whoever says the sport is soft, I recommend that they put on some pads and a helmet, and I’ll run at you! How would I describe the nature sport? Like raging animals going full speed ahead at each other, and let’s see who is left standing. Go hard, or go home.

And finally…

Q: Why do you like American Football?

Leon: I love the contact, and to me American Football is like a game of chess. You and the coaches read and adapt on the field to get points on the board and to win the game much like a chess player would think a few moves ahead to win a game.

#unitedwestand

Birmingham Bulls

www.birminghambulls.co.uk
Facebook: Official Birmingham Bulls
Twitter: @BirminghamBulls
YouTube: BirminghamBullsTV

Birmingham Bulls

Back to top Go down

Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!) Empty Re: Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!)

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:16 pm

Thanks for answering the questions Smile

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!) Empty Re: Two Minute Drill Q&A w/ Leon Williamson (the responses!)

Post by TM Moot Tue 17 Apr 2012, 7:59 am

Informative responses, thanks... thumbsup

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 20 Apr 2012, 6:14 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions. Very informative.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down