The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour

+3
Imperialbigdave
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
7 posters

Go down

32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour Empty 32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour

Post by 123456789 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:14 pm

The tour has been announced, we will play the waratahs, australia, Fiji and Samoa. I think we should aim for 4/4 for this. A 32 man squad will be announced next monto.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/17/scotland-australia-rugby-tour?cat=sport&type=article
If it were up to you who would you take, I'd take:
Back three: Hogg, Brown, Sean Lamont, Evans, Visser, Jones
Centres: Dunbar, De Luca, Bennett, Scott,
Half Backs: Weir, Jackson, Laidlaw, Blair, Cusiter
Back row: Denton, Wilson, Rennie, Barclay, Harley, McInally
Locks: Gray, Kellock, Hamilton, Gilchrist, MacKenzie
Props: Murray, Cross, Jacobsen, Welsh
Hookers: Ford, Lawson

I wouldn't actually pick Jackson but Robinson loves him so he will probably be captain (Brown's out), I don't think we'll see Brown, Dunbar, Bennett, Weir, Wilson, McInally or Gilchrist and I expect the likes of Strockosh, Kalman, Morrison etc. I'm actually angry already at the thought of Morrison and Jackson but it should be good to watch because we'll either play well or it will be Robinson's last games (surely).

Back to top Go down

32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour Empty Re: 32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

An interesting perspective:
The timing is not at all ideal for the Warriors players and, if either club gets through to the finals, the tour dates look wholly impractical.

The tour squad needs a minimum of 10 days in Oz to get over the jet lag and get acclimatised, 14 would be better. Even the former would mean flying out around the 25th May.

Before that, the coaches really need the players for at least a fortnight to absorb the fresh faces likely to be in a 32-man squad. Even if that was cut to 10 days, the squad would need to be assembling for training by Monday 14th May.

After their exertions in the semi-Finals, let alone if either gets through to the finals, the players will need at least a week's break, and more would be better for the bumps and bruises. That takes us back to 7th May latest.

However, if Warriors make the knockout stages of the RaboDirect, they are playing on w/end of 12th May, so already the timetable doesn't work, they would have to go straight into Scotland training on the Monday or Tuesday. Embra's HEC semi on 28 April is not a problem, but if either club gets through to the finals on 19 May (HEC) or 26 May (RaboDirect) - maybe a stretch of the imagination but anything is possible - the tour is really up the creek without a paddle.

I feel that the SRU should have looked to put the tour dates back by a week or two, I'm sure the three unions involved would have been sympathetic.

Last thing we need is an under-prepared, under-acclimatised and knackered squad taking on Australia, even a Tuesday night Australian squad.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour Empty Re: 32 man squad for Scotland's summer tour

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

Our players are perhaps the most well rested pros in europe. They always seem to get a week off after international windows while the other unions jet theirs right back into their clubs. Most of them know each other well already from the close knit age grades, or through the clubs, and half of the younger guys have been in scotland camps before even if theyre uncapped. Its really not as big a concern as that article makes it out to be.

Look at the 09 Lions tour. Leinster and Leicester played the heineken cup final and then their lions jetted off the next morning. I dont recall any of them showing signs of lack of rest.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:54 pm

Braveheart

My 32-man squad

Props: Grant, Welsh, Low, Cross, Shiells (5)
Hookers: Ford, MacArthur, Thomson (3)
Locks: Gray, Hamilton, Gilchrist, Kellock McKenzie/Ryder (4)
Backrow: Rennie, Barclay, Harley, Strokosch, Denton (5)
Halfbacks: Blair, Cusiter, Laidlaw, Weir, Jackson (5)
Centres: Scott, Dunbar, Grove, Ansbro (4)
Wings: Jones, Visser, S Lamont, Evans (4)
Fullbacks: Hogg, Brown (2)

We know that Brown will not recover from injury in time and am assuming that Leonard and Bennett are away with the U20s at the JWC

Harsh on the following, who are unlucky to miss out: McKenzie/Ryder, Fusaro, Wilson, Beattie, McInally, NdL (lessons to be learned), B Rennie (outstanding form for Exe)

Time to move on: Chunk, Murray, Morrison, S Lawson, R Lawson, Kellock

Shingler might yet feature in Robinson's plans if the IRB rework the eligibility rules
Apologies, a correction, either Ryder or McKenzie in for Kellock

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:11 pm

Broadly in agreement with your squad numbers.

You'll need three hookers though, so I would add Pat MacArthur. I'd also take Murray Low, Grant Sheills and Joe Ansbro.

For those four I'd drop Euan Murray, Jacobsen, Wilson and Bennett.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

I forgot about Ansbro, I'd take him before De Luca. I'd also take MacArthur over McKenzie but that's it. I suspect the real squad wil be as follows.

15. Hogg, Southwell
14. Evans, Jones
13. De Luca, Ansbro
12. Sean Lamont, Graeme Morrison
11. Visser, Danielli
10. Laidlaw, Jackson
9. Cusiter, Lawson, Blair
8. Denton, Vernon
7. Barclay, Rennie
6. Strockosh, Harley (who won't play, again)
5. Gray, Kellock
4. Hamilton, Gilchrist
3. Cross, Murray
2. Ford, Lawson, Hall
1. Jacobsen, Dickinson

And then the usual tripe about progress and improvement and experience etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

Does the game against Australia count as a full international??

Wales are playing Aus in tests on the Saturday before and after so this Tuesday team is surely no more than an A team at best?

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:56 pm

Officially yes but in reality probably not

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 18 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

123456789 wrote:I forgot about Ansbro, I'd take him before De Luca. I'd also take MacArthur over McKenzie but that's it. I suspect the real squad wil be as follows.

15. Hogg, Southwell
14. Evans, Jones
13. De Luca, Ansbro
12. Sean Lamont, Graeme Morrison
11. Visser, Danielli
10. Laidlaw, Jackson
9. Cusiter, Lawson, Blair
8. Denton, Vernon
7. Barclay, Rennie
5. Gray, Kellock
4. Hamilton, Gilchrist
3. Cross, Murray
2. Ford, Lawson, Hall
1. Jacobsen, Dickinson

And then the usual tripe about progress and improvement and experience etc.

I'd prefer this.

15. Hogg, Anyone but Shug I’d rather play Murchie
14. Evans, Jones
13. De Luca, Ansbro,
12. Scott, Dunbar
11. Visser, SLamont
10. Laidlaw, Jackson, Weir
9. Cusiter, Blair
8. Denton, Vernon
7. Barclay, Rennie
5. Gray, Kellock
4. Hamilton, Gilchrist
3. Cross, Low
2. Ford, Hall
1. Jacobsen, Welsh

There's no way Danielli and Southwell will go on the tour.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 18 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

Southwell FFS !!!!!!!!!! Surely even Idiot Brain Robinson could'nt - or could he ???
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 18 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

doctornickolas wrote:Does the game against Australia count as a full international??

Wales are playing Aus in tests on the Saturday before and after so this Tuesday team is surely no more than an A team at best?

Wales are playing the Barbarians in Cardiff on June 2nd before flying out and playing Australia in the first test June 9th. That suggests that they aren't bothered by the jet lag and short turn around before the first test. I expect Aus to use the game against us to get some players match fit and they'll all be playing for a place in the squad to face Wales. It's going to be a tough one.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down