The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour

+10
Artful_Dodger
kiakahaaotearoa
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
Croyman
eirebilly
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
rodders
Biltong
14 posters

Go down

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap24%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 27 ]
Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap23%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 26 ]
Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap16%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 18 ]
Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap8%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]
Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap24%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 27 ]
Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_lcap4%Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 112

Poll closed

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Empty Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:19 am

Pick four.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Empty Re: Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour

Post by rodders Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:26 am

Ryan, O'Connell, Tuohy and Toner for me, although I'm sure O'Callaghan will go and possibly Cullen/McCarthy at the expense of Toner and Tuohy.

Mike McCarthy should be on the list I think.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour Empty Re: Irish lock selections for New Zealand tour

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:26 am

I went Ryan, POC, Tuohy and Toner.

I think Toner is underrated and could grow into quite a good lock for us at one point.

Ryan is a must, we need more mobility as POC is anything but mobile, Ryan's ball skills and awareness are also very good for a lock foward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

Ryan, POC, Tuohy and Cullen.

I expect O'Callaghan to not win out in this poll as someone we want to see tour, but to start at least one or two tests Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:38 am

Why would you bring Cullen Notch, I find that an odd call.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:41 am

Second best lineout organiser we have available and a leader. I would have voted for Mike McCarthy instead had he been in the poll but I haven't been won over by Devin Toner yet.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

Cullen has limited value because O'Connell will always start if fit, also I think Donnacha Ryan is capable of stepping into O'Connells shoes if necessary.

Toner has a skill set that none of the other locks have. His ball skills and handling have been a revelation this season, he's like a giant centre at times.

He still lacks the physicality of the other candidates but hes getting there.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:52 am

Ryan, POC, Tuohy and Toner all the way for me Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Croyman Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

POC, Ryan, Tuohy and Hayes (Toner of the ones listed)

Croyman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

I don't think Cullen is a great player at International level anymore, he was pretty good in 2010 at times. He is a leader but Ireland have more than enough of them.

He is very similar to POC too in his strengths and weakness'.
He is an old style lock who is not mobile, good lineout operator and good grunt but POC is better at all those things.

Toner has come on massively this season and is only 25.
Locks normally grow into their position and he has his best years ahead of him. I'd say he's been one of Leinsters best players this year tbh.

His ball skills and offensive awareness have improved no end and he is comfortable offloading or taking the contact. He isn't immense in the contact area but he doesn't get blown out of it the way he did last season.

He is such an asset in the lineout and despite being gangly adds something near 20 stone in the scrum.

I think the future lock pair will be Tuohy and Ryan and it will be a good combo that but having Toner as cover will be huge as he is a very good player especially now that he is more affective in the loose and coming on with 20/30 mins to go could work really well for him. It has for Leinster since Thorns arrival.

Underrated player IMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

Went Ryan, POC, Toner and Tuohy. Really debated picking DOC. Hes been good this season and went well during the 6 nations. As long as hes not first or second choice maybe not even 3rd i wouldnt mind him going, but toner has had such a good season i cant leave him out and Tuohy too.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

Doh ignore!

Last edited by rodders on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:42 am

He said Tuohy and Ryan rodders, not Toner and Ryan! Whistle

Also, missing an "m" from your name?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

Good spot Rory! Yeah dropped the m!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:49 am

Yeah i just noticed that as well. Loads of name changing today
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 20 Apr 2012, 12:06 pm

I was thinking of americanising my name. BEEFJERKY
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

I think we need to change Toner. His name appears very faint alongside the other names. The only problem is I always have trouble loading the cartridge.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:I was thinking of americanising my name. BEEFJERKY

I had some of that Biltong stuff not so long ago - cant say I was won over, very strange consistency.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:07 pm

Thohy has impressed me. Toner OK(ish)

The rest - too old
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:09 pm

Ryan is 28 - why is that too old? What is the acceptable age for players?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 20 Apr 2012, 1:14 pm

It really depends on the player doesn't it,after all Brad Thorn was still starting for the All Blacks last year and by all accounts they'll struggle to replace him.The Crusaders are definitely weaker without him.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

I went for POC and Cullen because NZ is not somewhere you want to go without an experienced lineout leader. Went with Ryan and Tuohy after that as Ireland need to develop some younger options and Ryan did okay in the 6N. Tuohy I went with because he was Ulster's best forward in both games against Tigers and probably their best player overall at Welford Rd.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:32 pm

Ryan,POC and Tuohy should make it easy.

Somehow however I fear DOC, POC, Cullen and Ryan.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:33 pm

Ryan was a fantastic line-out operator over the 6 nations. He is learning a lot from POC. Tuohy is also very good at the line-out, improving each game in that regard. Ryan is in his best form now, really needs to be nailed down for Ireland.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:34 pm

In fact, speaking from an Ulster POV, I think Ryan is a similar player to Muller, except younger and more mobile. Both are a similar size according to their stats, and both are hard workers and great line-out operators. Tuohy works brilliantly with that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 20 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

Ryan is crucial for us to develop. The fact he is so mobile and his ball skills and vision are good means we can play that "total" rugby with backs and forwards all comfortable on the ball.

Ryan and Tuuohy are going to be a great combo one day.
Ian Nagle really has disappeared.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down