The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berto v Ortiz: Is this a given?

+5
ArchBritishchris
wow_junky
Soldier_Of_Fortune
azania
Seanusarrilius
9 posters

Go down

Berto v Ortiz: Is this a given? Empty Berto v Ortiz: Is this a given?

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

I may of posted on this on the old 606, but does anyone feel like this fight is being talked up as a dead cert victory for Berto. Now we all know what happened with Ortiz v Maidana and although i Good morning from acrosss the pond

feel he won his last fight he did show a lack of plan b against a very average fighter on the world scene. Personally i do not think Ortiz lacks heart for the sport. he has taken some difficult fights since Maidana and shows eagerness in moving up and fighting Berto to clear his name as a quitter as it were.

But qu is can he win?

Berto power at the weight will be a factor and confidence is huge in boxing which Berto must have a advantage with over Ortiz. But Berto has not faced that much quality opposition himself and looked to lose v Collazo in my opinion.

The intangibles are with Berto but can the kid Ortiz ull of a upset?

Anyone willing to put there neck out on this one?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Berto v Ortiz: Is this a given? Empty Re: Berto v Ortiz: Is this a given?

Post by azania Fri 01 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

berto should win. But more importantly, you should get your key board fixed of stop your laptop from freezing. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Apr 2011, 3:31 pm

Not to sure about this one you know.

Ortiz has been struggling making Light Welter recently and I think he will be better at Welter.

Ortiz can take a punch but he needs to prove he's got the heart again after the Maidana debacle

I thinks its a toss up. Berto's last live fighter was Collazo and I think he was very lucky to get the nod that night.

Who ever wins this, there stock will rise significantly!

Last edited by Soldier_Of _Fortune on Fri 01 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cos I like drowning kittens)

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri 01 Apr 2011, 3:50 pm

Ortiz has failed his 2 major gut checks against Maidana and Peterson.. Berto is quick enough and hits hard enough to make it 3 times failed I think, despite Ortiz being a superior boxer

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 01 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

wow_junky wrote:Ortiz has failed his 2 major gut checks against Maidana and Peterson.. Berto is quick enough and hits hard enough to make it 3 times failed I think, despite Ortiz being a superior boxer

As he is moving up in weight, and he was struggling to make light welter, theoretically his stamina and punch resistance should improve.

In regard to the Peterson fight I had him winning 96-92. Especially with 10-7 in the 3rd.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 01 Apr 2011, 4:22 pm

on talent i find that Ortiz actually has the edge, Berto is a bulldozing type welter who when knocked of his game will resort in the past to trying to ko opponents with every punch, if ortiz can do that he can triumph. He has to weather early and come on, out of interest has anyone seen Berto take a lot of punishment, whats his chin like,Oriz has pep in his punch,should carry it up as he normally comes in high in weight from welter anyway

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri 01 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

Berto isnt the sort of fighter to carefully outpoint an opponent over 12 rounds. He doesn't stand off or hover, waiting for the opportunity to land a well placed jab. If Berto carries the fight, its because of Ortiz's defence. He was ineffective at evading Berto's forward blows. In past fights Ortiz has been successful in boxing at range and is speedy around the ring. That could be successful against Berto, stylistically its a fight Ortiz can win. The fight is a hard one to pick, could easily go either way. To date Ortiz hasn't had much luck in big fights, I don't know if anyone's putting mega bucks on him. Wouldn't be suprised to see almost any result.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 02 Apr 2011, 8:27 pm

See Berto winning this but very close. Think the step up in weight will be good for Ortiz wasn't impressed with him against Peterson although I had him winning the fight by 3 rounds. Berto is more agressive but can be a headhunter at times and looks for the one punch KO to often and if he does that Ortiz is a good enough boxer to jab him at long range and take it on points. Like I said don't see it though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 03 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

Collazo? Am I wrong in thinking this was the guy Hatton had a tough night with? He is a good fighter and there would be no sham ein Berto losing to him or even having a close fight with for a start, but anyway Ortiz stepping up in weight and then taking on one of the best in the division straight away could be a mistake, I think he could take someone tough on Top Ten perhaps, would anyone love to see Kell Brook take on Ortiz? I think Kell would take him out but I think that would be a quality fight to see, I don't think Ortiz is quite ready for Berto, and for me there's a chance he never will be, but at least allow Ortiz the time to grow into a Welterweight before taking this fight on, right? I imagine Berto is loving this fight, against a big resepectable opponent with a good chance he could take him out. I prefer Berto on this one, wouldn't be shocked for a strong KO.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 03 Apr 2011, 3:33 pm

I think Berto will win. He has wasted some of the best years of his career; but he is talented. I think Ortiz is another GBP hype job and lacks heart.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 04 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

Berto will be favourite, but there could be a shock in this. ortiz is highly skilled, but has come in for a fair amount of critisism after Maidina and Peterson. He started well agaisnt Peterson, but failed to show the killer instict when he had him in serious trouble. Berto is being talked up by many, but what I've seen of him isn't that great. This is possibly Ortiz's last chance, despite his young age, to get amongst the elite - he has got to be up for it and if he boxs to his capabilities could pull off a UD against the Berto.

Fit for boxing?

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down