The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McGeechan on the scrum

+8
gowales
tigertattie
damage_13
screamingaddabs
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
formerly known as Sam
majesticimperialman
wickedwasp
12 posters

Go down

McGeechan on the scrum Empty McGeechan on the scrum

Post by wickedwasp Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:05 am

“If I could change one thing, it would be to take away the hit at the scrummage because I think the physics of it are against stability.

"I’d go back to having the front rows engage, then getting the back five on, then the set and then the drive. It wouldn’t stop sides scrummaging and we would still have a physical, technical contest, but it would improve a situation which currently can’t be refereed properly and is inherently unstable.”

What can I say - absolutely right and obvious. Why can't the IRB see it? Scrums are becoming a farce and this is a simple solution.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

McGeechan on the scrum Empty Re: McGeechan on the scrum

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:30 am

If i could take away one thing, it would be the Pause. I think this is responsible for alot of collapsed scrums, reset scrums.

The ref should say down, touch, engage. I think this would be better for both teams, in fact i am pretty sure this is how it used to be, pre 2003 rugby world cup.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

Here's a clip of Newport v Pontypool in 1992. Look at the scrum on 30 seconds. I think this is what the scrum should revert to. Both teams engage and then the ref waits until the scrum is settled, and then the push is only allowed as soon as the ball is put in. However, as this video shows, this does not negate the dominant scrum. Pontypool are able to win this against the head even without the hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksa2rKcKf8c

I just think this would simplify things so much, be a better spectacle, less wasted game time, yet not taking away the art of scrummaging which I think is vital for the identiy of union as a sport. Without props you'd have a team of 'lean' players approaching uniformity in size which would do away with the mismatches that make the sport so entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

Agre fully and that is a good example Griff. Zero tolerance on feeding at the scrum is needed as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:33 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Agre fully and that is a good example Griff. Zero tolerance on feeding at the scrum is needed as well.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:22 am

I think virtually everyone agrees that the easiest way to sort the scrum is simply to use the rules that are there.

"The hit" is not in the rules. The rules say that the scrum must be square and balanced and that no pushing should happen until the ball is put in straight. It actually changes how props and hookers have to do their job, making it far more of a wrestle and needing more static and dynamic strength than explosive strength. This will mean that square props (as wide as they are tall) and the shorter guys who can get the body angles right will be really good scrummagers, helping stop everyone from becoming identikit 6'4" muscle men.

The sooner the IRB simply make the referees apply the laws that are already there the better.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:48 am

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

I just wish the IRB would read this thread!

Everyone seems to be in agreement.

The Hit is stupid. get rid of it. Go back to scrums as they used to be and let the game continue rather than subjecting us to restart after restart!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

I quite like the hit, most pro props don't seem to mind it either

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

damage_13 wrote:I posted this a while back on this thread

https://www.606v2.com/t27788-problem-at-the-scrum-the-team-jersey-s

Tis a fair point, damage, you see a lot of penalties given for a slipped binding where one player just hasn't been able to get enough shirt to grab on to OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
damage_13 wrote:I posted this a while back on this thread

https://www.606v2.com/t27788-problem-at-the-scrum-the-team-jersey-s

Tis a fair point, damage, you see a lot of penalties given for a slipped binding where one player just hasn't been able to get enough shirt to grab on to OK

The answer is simple. All props should be required to grow the same set of love handles as Chunk Jacobsen has carefully nurtured. Problem solved.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 24 Apr 2012, 2:44 pm

gowales wrote:I quite like the hit, most pro props don't seem to mind it either

Everybody likes the hit when the scrum stays stable and the game commences as normal. But as Geech says, the laws of physics are against modern scrums staying stable. So we're getting the terrible setting and resetting and finally random penalty. It's awful.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

yes, the hit can't be done without decent binding, but the existing rules STILL need to be reinforced.

hmmm....

What about if the scrum needs to be re-set a second time then the bind is done first but its the ref, that puts the ball in.

If the team without the ball tries to disrupt the put in during the first scrum with a dominant hit (more than two feet of movement) and bad binding (collapse) then they are penalised.

If the team with the ball doesn't bind properly or collapses in the first scrum they lose the put in to the ref.

in other words Both teams stand to lose something if they don't bind correctly and contest correctly the first time.

If its down to a moving pitch the thee fault isnt the teams and the scrum is re-set as normal.

in addition the closest lines judge should be called in to ref the other side of the scrum to ensure correct binding/straight put in and illegal boring.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

One thing that gets me is the props going out of their way to stop the other team getting a bind

I think the ref putting it in is a good idea too as it makes it a contest and the scrum has to be stable to try win it.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

The ref can't put the ball in.

For one thing the cries of "Cheating ref" will be heard across the land, but more importantly, the side that has the put in should rightly have the advantage. With the put in (if you apply the rules properly, the team has the advantage of knowing exactly when the ball will arrive and hence when to start shoving. With the ref putting it in it is 50-50 - surely not fair if the opposition knock on?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:57 pm

thats why I said it should only be done as 'punishment' if the team with the put in can't bind and hold properly.

re-read what I wrote

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

To be fair the scrum is more of a its no ones fault let start again. A knock on isn't really free its just giving the ball to the other side to strat their attack.

Why can't they put the ball in place and from the scrum with ball in place and then ref says push and they go at it.

If a player touches the ball other then when the hooker gets his distance is a pen to the other team and moved up the field 10ms

Surely that would make them fairer

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:04 pm

Crounch, bind, when everyone is correctly bound "GO", scum half has 5 seconds to get the ball in otherwise free kick

Why don't prop shirts have handles?

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Wed 25 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

or

crouch, bind (ref checks binding), 3 ,2 ,1, push!
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down