The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament?

+7
djlovesyou
reckoner
JuliusHMarx
spuranik
lydian
socal1976
hawkeye
11 posters

Go down

What is the most prestigious masters?

What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap0%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap32%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 6 ]
What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap11%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap26%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap31%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 6 ]
What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_lcap0%What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Empty What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament?

Post by hawkeye Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Cinncinnati? Pfft! Shanghai? Pfft! Paris? Pfft! The so called 5th slam (is that Indian Wells or Miami?) Pfft! Pfft!

I would say the most prestigious masters is either Monte Carlo or Rome. What do you think?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Empty Re: What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament?

Post by socal1976 Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 am

Neither Monte Carlo or Rome. I go with Indian wells frankly, maybe that is because I live close to that tournament. But Indian wells is the richest in terms of prize money. Is played in great facilities and draws a full field every year. By the way far and away the best attended non-slam event on tour. Plus you got the men and women out there that adds a little bit of feel although I am not a big fan of the women's game. And this year they stepped up and put shot spot on every match court the slams still don't do that. Plus the one million dollars winners check is pretty nice as well.

I think a better question is which is the least prestigious, that being Cincy. They really need to drop cincy to make room for a grass court masters.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament? Empty Re: What Is The Most Prestigious Masters Tournament?

Post by lydian Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:06 am

MC...has a very long history and the backdrop, etc, is amazing.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by spuranik Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:06 am

Similar article from old 606:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A42142880

The only change now is that Shanghai has replaced Hamburg. And Monte Carlo is no longer a "Mandatory" 1000 AMS. But still a masters so should be considered.

I know a lot of people don't like Madrid (for reasons which are mostly non-tennis), but I loved for last 2-3 years when they switched it to outdoor clay from Indoor Hard. Bigger courts, faster clay and pretty good rallies make it interesting. And players seem to challenge Nadal a bit more there than elsewhere makes it interesting. We had some great matches between Fed-Nadal, Djoko-Nadal and one match I particularly remember was between Nadal and Almagro.

I don't know how it will play this year though with again a change from Red Clay to Blue Clay.

Another AMS that I prefer is Cincinnati purely for it faster surface.

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 am

Miami has sometimes been referred to as the 'fifth major', more than the others.
A similar poll here, with around 400 votes apparently, although MC wasn't even listed as an option.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/2010/03/the_fifth_major_poll_how_to_save_professional_tennis.html

Monte Carlo has the prestige of the place itself (rich man's playground and all that) but I wouldn't say the tournament itself was the most prestigious.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

There is a difference between picturesque and prestigious.

Also it isn't "Monti" Carlo - need to fix the poll.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:12 pm

reckoner.

Just to clarify. The question was about the most "prestigious" not the most "picturesque". Of course there is a difference but they are not mutually exclusive.

JuliusHMarx

That poll you refer to had the winner as Rome.

I have always imagined that both Rome and Monte Carlo have historical significance. Are they the oldest? They also have nice trophies. It's more difficult to take a tournament seriously when they hand out a glass vase or a piece of twisted metal as a prize... not to mention a tacky and larger than life cheque... Maybe they should just shower the winner with gold coins?

social

As I am unlikely to win Indian Wells the size of the winners cheque does little to persuade me of its prestige although I have to admit if was lucky enough to be able to attend and have a nice time that would possibly be more convincing...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:reckoner.

Just to clarify. The question was about the most "prestigious" not the most "picturesque". Of course there is a difference but they are not mutually exclusive.

No clarification required, I simply disagree with you.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Historically, I think Miami used to have a larger field, possibly even 128 at some point. I don't think this is the case any more, and I might be completely wrong, if someone wants to look it up.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Has to be Miami or Indian Wells.

Hawkeye, you haven't just picked the ones your favourite wins have you?

Are you sure?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:48 pm

reckoner wrote:

But..But? It's my question how can you disagree with the question? Of course your free to choose whatever answer you want and If you want to talk about picturesque tournaments ask your own question...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:52 pm

hawkeye wrote:
reckoner wrote:

But..But? It's my question how can you disagree with the question? Of course your free to choose whatever answer you want and If you want to talk about picturesque tournaments ask your own question...

I'm disagreeing with your choice of Rome and Monte Carlo as the most prestigious tournaments. These two might be very picturesque locations but they are not the most prestigious tournaments. I hope that's clearer?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:54 pm

djlovesyou

I was asking the question as I was curious to know what others thought. What is it about Indian Wells and Miami that makes them stand out for you? Is it the big cheque... or maybe the women?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm

reckoner

No worries! I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with me. Which tournament do you think is the most prestigious and why? (I know its not Monte Carlo or Rome)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm

I went with MC, just. A few years ago would have been a no brainer, but not longer having it as a mandatory has diminished the prestige. My second choice would be Miami.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:31 pm

hawkeye wrote:reckoner

No worries! I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with me. Which tournament do you think is the most prestigious and why? (I know its not Monte Carlo or Rome)

No worries, hawkeye.

I'd say IW / Miami. They have high prize money and are mandatory - hence pretty much guaranteed a good field.

But really the Masters Cup is where it's at in terms of prestige - the best playing the best, where you have to earn entry.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 pm

I already did this article in September 2010 on 606 and here it is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A60709746

If you look in the article I totted up everyone's score and the ranking was

Miami
IW
Rome, Cinci
Monte Carlo
Canada
Madrid
Paris
Shanghai

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Agree with M4C. Didnt they used to call Miami the 5th slam? (back when it was the Lipton Champs)
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Monte Carlo, Paris are not even mandatory and the full field doesn't show up... Monte Carlo looks nice.......but the depth of the field prevents it from being the most prestigous.. If it was, you would have guys like Federer and Djokovic entering it EVERY year.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I bet Federer would quite like one of those pretty Rome or Monte Carlo trophies... He might even trade a Miami + an Indian Wells for one?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:36 pm

All prestigious:
The Monaco Grand Prix
The Monte Carlo Masters

Monaco / Monaco is famed for its royalty:
Currently the land is ruled over by Prince Albert (now where have I heard of him?) ...
... and the clay is ruled over by King ....

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Nore Staat wrote:... and the clay is ruled over by King ....

Elvis?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:... and the clay is ruled over by King ....

Elvis?

Nah - it ruined his shoes.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Who are these people voting for Madrid? And I thought everyone hated the slow, slow courts of Miami?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Madrid was better when it was a fast hard court at altitude.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Miami's nickname is the 5th slam isn't it?

And pretty much always has the full roster of top players.

I've not heard that said about any other Masters.

Personally, whilst Monte Carlo is the most beautiful, I don't think its the most prestigious at all.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I thought Paris was mandatory.

On Miami, is it me or does it not get referred to as the 5th slam as much. Seems more like another masters series.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am

TRuffin wrote:Monte Carlo, Paris are not even mandatory and the full field doesn't show up... Monte Carlo looks nice.......but the depth of the field prevents it from being the most prestigous.. If it was, you would have guys like Federer and Djokovic entering it EVERY year.

My feelings exactly you can't get to be the most prestigious regardless of how picturesque your facility is if you can't attract a full field of talent every year. Inidan wells has the second biggest staidum in the western hemisphere and it is in a very big market located about 90 minutes by car outside of Los Angeles. Bigger prize money and the women coming does help a bit in giving it a slam feel. Indian wells has by a wide margin the best attendance numbers of any masters event.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down