The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread

+9
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
JDizzle
Fists of Fury
packofwolves
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
liverbnz
jimbohammers
Shelsey93
13 posters

Go down

County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread Empty County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

The fourth week of Championship games starts tomorrow, after which a few teams will be a quarter of the way through their season Shocked. Worcs-Notts and Kent-Yorks are rematches from the opening week, when Notts beat Worcs and Yorks-Kent was drawn.

Division 1

Somerset v Lancashire @ Taunton - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cp6mn (BBC 5LSX)

Lancs 400 (Croft 113, Prince 96, Brown 50, Philander 5-71) Somerset 87-3 (Hildreth 30, Chapple 2-15)

Match drawn

Surrey v Durham @ The Oval - Match discussion thread https://www.606v2.com/t28211-surrey-vs-durham-match-thread Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17828608 (BBC London)

Match abandoned without a ball bowled

Sussex v Warwickshire @ Hove - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17828612 (BBC Sussex/ Coventry and Warwickshire)

Warks 545 (Trott 178, Chopra 105*, Clarke 78*, Ambrose 75, Nash 3-44) Sussex 80-5 (Nash 18, Barker 3-28)

Worcestershire v Nottinghamshire @ New Road - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17828615

Notts 243 (Hales 49, Jones 4-76) and 88-2 (Edwards 49*, Jones 1-34) Worcs 157 (Kapil 41, Adams 5-62)

Match drawn

Division 2

Essex v Northamptonshire @ Chelmsford - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17831429 (BBC Essex)

Essex 54-6 (Pettini 16*, Brooks 4-22)

Match drawn

Gloucestershire v Glamorgan @ Bristol

Match abandoned without a ball bowled

Hampshire v Leicestershire @ Rose Bowl

Leics 234 (Smith 68, Dawson 5-29) Hants 217-4 (Carberry 84*, Katich 54, Wyatt 3-63)

Kent v Yorkshire @ Canterbury - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17831432 (BBC Kent/ BBC Leeds)

Yorks 247 (Ballance 38, Coles 4-70) Kent 350-9 (Nash 132*, Bresnan 3-89)

Match drawn

Scores up to date to Stumps, Day 3

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:07 am; edited 3 times in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread

Post by jimbohammers Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

Just 3 games underway thumbsdown

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread

Post by liverbnz Thu 26 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

Joe Sayers out for a low score after taking up most of the morning's session. I know he's struggled with illness in the last few years, but he constantly puts the team on the back foot with his slow SR and it's seriously detrimental. If you're going to score slowly, you must score big, especially in 4 day games.

Anyone know if we have anyone else in the 2nd XI to come through? Even someone down the order as Jaques or Gale can open.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Briggs and Adams dropped for Hants.

Headscratch

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

Spiffing ton from the Trottinator.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Spiffing ton from the Trottinator.
H Hoggy - and more runs from Chopra too. I saw him play a couple of seasons ago for Essex and thought they had sold the Bears a pup - showing once more my failure to understand the game! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:30 pm

Notts all out for 243. High score of 49 from Alex Hales. Worcester youngster Aneesh Kapil did well with the ball, taking 3-17 off 9 overs. Rich Jones also continued his good start to the season, taking 4-76 from 20.1.

Worcs have just started their reply.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

Dawson picks up 2 wickets. Strange story there. He started off being a bowler who could bat a bit, representing England under 19s and captaining them. Now he is an opener who isnt fond of bowling Laugh

When i have seen him bowl he has been very impressive Headscratch

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

Worcs survive a tricky five overs without loss. They will start tomorrow on 5/0 hoping to build a lead on Nott's total. Fingers crossed!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

Hi Pack - even though Alan Richardson wasn't the star of the show today, I see he was still Mr Reliable. Two wickets for 23 runs off 22 overs. clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:15 pm

Hi Guildford. Yeah, very miserly indeed from Rico today. Not a hat full of wickets but he made a couple of key break through's earlier in the day.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Dawson picks up 2 wickets. Strange story there. He started off being a bowler who could bat a bit, representing England under 19s and captaining them. Now he is an opener who isnt fond of bowling Laugh

When i have seen him bowl he has been very impressive Headscratch

I think that spinners are often late developers at all levels of the game - he could yet have a very good career as a front-line spinner. His progress at Hants has rather been blocked by the faster development of Briggs, though I would argue that, outside of T20, Briggs is yet to prove himself. My personal opinion is that Briggs will not be effective at Test level, and less effective at FC level than many, bowling the defensive line he tends to bowl. In T20 cricket this has already brought him huge success.

Somerset, who were fielding a very young bowling attack, have been dominated at Taunton by Lancs, though Bell got a duck.

Mat Coles looks, from the stats rather than actually having watched him play, to be a superb cricketer. He keeps featuring in the 'best bowling in the innings' or 'top score' columns in my opening posts. One to watch?

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

150 up for the Trottster thumbsup clap

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:31 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:

Mat Coles looks, from the stats rather than actually having watched him play, to be a superb cricketer. He keeps featuring in the 'best bowling in the innings' or 'top score' columns in my opening posts. One to watch?
Shelsey - others, arguably even more significant than you in the game, have also noticed. He's just been named in the England Lions twelve for the Windies match in May. I saw him at the Oval last season - not really a stand out cricketer although I suspect he must have a decent temperament and good cricket brain.

The Lions squad is skippered by Jimmy Taylor so expect JDizzle to be setting off fireworks shortly!

Jack Brooks also in the squad - that boy can bowl.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

I think you got a bit confused there, Shelsey. Warks are playing at Sussex, whilst Somerset were dominated at Taunton by Lancashire.

What's this Brooks like then, chaps? Must admit I don't know a great deal of him.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

Most under-rated player - Rikki Clarke from Warwickshire? Always seems to get runs and wickets

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:41 pm

England Lions squad:
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire, captain)
Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Jack Brooks (Northamptonshire)
Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
Matt Coles (Kent)
Nick Compton (Somerset)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)

Initial thoughts are that if Compton, Stokes, Patel and of course Taylor are included, then I would assume that this means Bopara is almost certain to play in the First test against the Windies.

Very pleased to see Compton included, and he definitely deserves it after his scintillating form this season. Now, I don't know much about Coles but he is a 21 year old all rounder, and that could be very useful and someone obviously likes him.

Surprised there is no Alex Hales. I'd certainly say he was a as good a opener as Root and Carberry, and a lot younger than Carberry as well.

And Kerrigan in as the spinner ahead of Briggs which is probably to do with Briggs slow start to the 4 day season.

And of course, Jimmy is captain! Yahoo

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:

What's this Brooks like then, chaps? Must admit I don't know a great deal of him.
Hi Fists - he's a right arm quick bowler with Northants. I've seen him a couple of times - can certainly generate pace and gives it everything. If that doesn't make him stand out, his longish hair and girly headband certainly do!

Had a quick look on Cric Info before posting (so as not to make a complete arse of myself). He's actually a fair bit older than I thought - he'll be 28 in five weeks' time. Apparently he had a few seasons playing Minor Counties cricket with Oxfordshire before getting a break with Northants. That probably suggests he won't have enough time to develop into a Test bowler but I'll reserve judgment on that for now and wish him well.

He, Meaker and Dernbach should certainly be an interesting and pacy seam attack for the Lions against the Windies next month.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

I like the look of Jack Brooks Fists. Aggressive, good bowling mentality and he bowls a heavy ball. A late bloomer, he served his apprenticeship in Minor Counties, so he is already 27 and I don't see him developing into a real quality Test player but it is possible he could force his way into the ODI squad but I would say he is more than likely just to become a very solid county pro.

But I do hope we pick him for a T20 just to see him change his headband every over!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

I'll be annoyed if Ravi gets runs against the Windies - just as he did before - because you know that as soon as South Africa roll in to town, he will fail - just as he did before.

That number six spot is proving to be incredibly troublesome, and there is no stand out candidate. Let's hope one of those Lions boys gets a monstrous score against the Windies and tempts the selectors in to picking them.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:46 pm

Thanks for that, Guildford. I suspect you're right, 28 may seem a little old to make much headway at Test level.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:47 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I think you got a bit confused there, Shelsey. Warks are playing at Sussex, whilst Somerset were dominated at Taunton by Lancashire.

I hadn't either until I wound up trading him into my team in the EPL fantasy league. Self taught cricketer who played in village leagues until he was 20 or so. Useful first class and T20 record, though for some reason he hasn't cracked the 40/50 over games.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/10622.html
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Most under-rated player - Rikki Clarke from Warwickshire? Always seems to get runs and wickets

Fabulous player is our Rikki. Missed his calling with England now, but what a huge asset to Warwickshire. His batting and bowling are both of a very high standard, and let us not forget his fielding - probably the best catcher in English cricket.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:58 pm

Fists OK

Have always been impressed by him, would have him in for England over Bopara any day

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:01 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:Most under-rated player - Rikki Clarke from Warwickshire? Always seems to get runs and wickets

Fabulous player is our Rikki. Missed his calling with England now, but what a huge asset to Warwickshire. His batting and bowling are both of a very high standard, and let us not forget his fielding - probably the best catcher in English cricket.
Even allowing for a nightwatchman (Wright) batting ahead of him, I was surprised Clarke is as low as number nine in Warks' current CC match against Sussex. That would appear to say a lot about the strength of the Bears' batting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

Carberry called up to the England Lions Headscratch not had a good start to the season, need an innings from him now Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:38 pm

The Bears simply bat right the way through, Guildford. Wright, our number 11, is a very handy bat himself. Jeetan Patel at 10 says it all, really.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:The Bears simply bat right the way through, Guildford. Wright, our number 11, is a very handy bat himself. Jeetan Patel at 10 says it all, really.

And that's without Woakes!!

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

Meanwhile, as Essex commence the first innings in their match against Northants, they slump to 16-3. A couple of wickets for Brooks!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

Carbs listened too me thumbsup

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I think you got a bit confused there, Shelsey. Warks are playing at Sussex, whilst Somerset were dominated at Taunton by Lancashire.

That's what it says Erm Very Happy

To cover a few topics in one:

Brooks is a very good bowler - arguably the equal of a Sidebottom and creates good pressure. However, as others have said a Test call is unlikely given the strength ahead of him - I would suggest England's seam pecking order is currently Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Finn, Tremlett, Onions, Dernbach. Brooks might be next after that, but would have to rely on an injury crisis to break through.

Rikki Clarke has been a frustrating cricketer. It is easy to forget that as a young man he played both Tests and ODIs for England and was regarded as Andrew Flintoff's understudy and eventual successor. The last two years have seen something of a return to form - though he is now merely a gutsy batsman, useful bowler and unbelievable good fielder. A real disappointment as far as England is concerned I would say.

Carberry looks to me one of the most complete players outside of the main England set-up. True, he hasn't scored runs yet this year but he would be my first pick if one of the openers breaks a finger before a Test. He is a player who, given the opportunity, could kick on to great things like Trott has. For me Hales is some distance away from being Test-ready (though he has done relatively well in the last year or so), and thus am happy with his exclusion from this Lions squad. Root seems to me to be somebody, like Borthwick, who the selectors have a hunch on rather than basing his selection on a proven record. So I'm happy with the Lions squad - a good mix of in-form and experienced reserves (Carberry, Compton, Brooks) and young talent like Root, Taylor and Coles.

Unlike guildford I really hope Bopara has a good summer this year - he is due an opportunity, and this will rightly be his last opportunity. He is still young enough to become a very good player at number six. The media 'witch hunt' against him is a little unfair - he has only had two bad series really, and whilst it is true that the rest of the England top six all cracked it right from the off, some players will take a bit more time.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 9:58 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:

Unlike guildford I really hope Bopara has a good summer this year - he is due an opportunity, and this will rightly be his last opportunity. He is still young enough to become a very good player at number six. The media 'witch hunt' against him is a little unfair - he has only had two bad series really, and whilst it is true that the rest of the England top six all cracked it right from the off, some players will take a bit more time.

Shocked ???

Don't know where the ''Unlike guildford'' comes from.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

Shocked ???

Sorry, I meant Fists Doh Second error in two days on this thread Doh

Scores updated (hopefully without error) on the opening post.

Kent are making good progress this season. Brendan Nash seems to have settled in well, and though his international career ended in rather embarrassing fashion last year - averaging 9 against Pakistan in a 3 Test series - he has the potential to become an important part of the Kent team and, at 34 and with no T20 or international commitments, could become a regular at Canterbury over the next few years.

With woeful forecasts for Sunday all matches are likely to be drawn. Tomorrow afternoon could be quite wet too, after a dry-ish morning.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

Shocked ???

Sorry, I meant Fists Doh Second error in two days on this thread Doh

Scores updated (hopefully without error) on the opening post.

Kent are making good progress this season. Brendan Nash seems to have settled in well, and though his international career ended in rather embarrassing fashion last year - averaging 9 against Pakistan in a 3 Test series - he has the potential to become an important part of the Kent team and, at 34 and with no T20 or international commitments, could become a regular at Canterbury over the next few years.

With woeful forecasts for Sunday all matches are likely to be drawn. Tomorrow afternoon could be quite wet too, after a dry-ish morning.
Shelsey - thanks for clarifying that.

Agree with your last para. We may well have the position of play finally getting underway for a couple of hours or so at the Oval tomorrow with everyone knowing there's very little chance of any play on Sunday (the last day). Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:31 pm

Am pleased to see Rikki Clarke performing well. He is remarkably good batsman to be going in at No 7 or 8.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 4 Discussion Thread Empty Pure idiocy

Post by Spiny Norman Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:43 pm

What genius decided to play CC cricket in April?

This is the third day of Glos v Glam and not one ball has been bowled.

Guess how many real games we have at Bristol in June and July. That's right - NONE!!

If I wasn't a life member, I'd resign Sad

Spiny Norman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:What genius decided to play CC cricket in April?

This is the third day of Glos v Glam and not one ball has been bowled.

Guess how many real games we have at Bristol in June and July. That's right - NONE!!

If I wasn't a life member, I'd resign Sad

There are good reasons for playing in April - as a cricket fan the last thing I want is a four and half month season (whilst football fans get a nine month season). The weather has been superb in April for the last two years, and these sorts of conditions are just about as likely in any other month.

As for having few 'proper' games in June and July, I think that is regrettable. But I can't see what can be done about it - T20 games generally get the biggest attendances (most likely to come in in the middle of the summer), start later (the light is better in the middle of the summer and it is warmer) and need to attract world class players (which wouldn't happen if it clashed with the IPL or wasn't played in a single month). 16 T20 games last year was too many, as is the 14 proposed for 2013, but we need a 10-game season in that format.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiny Norman Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

Maybe I should take up bowls, so I can be involved in a summer game, rather than a spring and autumn one Erm

Spiny Norman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:58 am

Due to the inclement weather Surrey-Durham, Gloucs-Glam, Essex-Northants, Kent-Yorks, Somerset-Lancs and Worcs-Notts have made the sensible decision to shake hands on a draw. Hants-Leics and Sussex-Warks will surely follow suit shortly.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiny Norman Sun 29 Apr 2012, 11:27 am

And in the balmy sunshine of June and July we will have hit-and-giggle.

O tempora! O mores!

Spiny Norman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:And in the balmy sunshine of June and July we will have hit-and-giggle.

O tempora! O mores!
O timetabling? O morons? Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

Worcestershire on flood watch again, River is looking very high indeed. Not good, hopefully this rain starts to lighten up otherwise we'll be in for a long and unsuccessful summer.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiny Norman Sun 29 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

Mat wrote:Worcestershire on flood watch again, River is looking very high indeed. Not good, hopefully this rain starts to lighten up otherwise we'll be in for a long and unsuccessful summer.

That's what happens when you have a drought or, to quote the BBC, "a drought situation" Wink

Spiny Norman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:12 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:And in the balmy sunshine of June and July we will have hit-and-giggle.

O tempora! O mores!
O timetabling? O morons? Whistle
Laugh Laugh Laugh

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

Spiny Norman wrote: That's what happens when you have a drought or, to quote the BBC, "a drought situation" Wink

I'm increasingly of the view that we should stop using the word "drought" when we really mean "p*sspoor management of the water supply".
(Hugo Rifkind)

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down