The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs durham match thread

+6
Tibor
HappierSurreyFan
thegooch7
jbd349
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Go down

surrey vs durham match thread Empty surrey vs durham match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

Surrey Team Director Chris Adams has named a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Durham at the Kia Oval.
Jacques Rudolph, who missed the drawn game against Worcestershire due to family reasons returns to the squad.
The Surrey squad for the LV= County Championship match against Durham at the Kia Oval which will not take place is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (capt)
Jacques Rudolph
Steven Davies
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan
Stuart Meaker
Jon Lewis
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach
my guess is none of them will play Wink

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs durham match thread Empty Re: surrey vs durham match thread

Post by guildfordbat Wed 25 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

Hi JimBob - thanks as ever for starting the match thread.

Not sure how much cricket there will be! Anyway, assuming the match gets under way at some point, I would make two changes from last time out.

Rudolph will certainly return to the team. Particularly given the expected weather (when we can hopefully have some play), I would recall Linley who should relish the conditions.

The two I would leave out would be Jordan and Batty. This enables Roy to deservedly maintain his place and means we have 'proper' batsmen all the way down to number seven. Meaker and Lewis at numbers eight and nine are no mugs with the bat whilst Dernbach showed against Worcs that he can give it some welly.

The omission of Batty means we have no slow bowler other than Hamilton-Brown. However, I don't think that should be too great an issue for this particular match and the conditions it's expected to be played in.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 25 Apr 2012, 3:10 pm

sounds like a good shout that guildford Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:13 pm

I'd agree with everything Guildford says

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

Over to you then adams Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:56 am

No play before lunch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:52 am

Although she doesn't offer much variation............she needs to spin the ball for a start! I think we should keep Norah! If it was my choice I'd drop River, and after his silly twittering, lack of form, and umpire abuse, Gramps! But I've a feeling Grizzly won't change anything, and Reindeer will come in for Le Roi, and the same 10 that escaped with a draw against Worcester will remain!
Mind you, with the weather so grim, I don't think it'll make any odds, as a draw appears on the cards with little play forecast! At least I'll be able to concentrate on the Hammers winning 3-0 on Sat and the Sky Blues holding the Saints to a draw at the same time! Imagination is a powerful thing eh?!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by HappierSurreyFan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

Cant see much Play today to be honest!
Gooch Cant see anything other than a Saints win saturday!!!

HappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 26 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Sorry Gooch, but geographical loyalty dictates that I am backing the Saints too!

Would like to see the Hammers win the play-offs though.

and speaking of geography, its not that bad weather-wise down in Soton at the moment. Windy but generally sunny. Might end up blowing towards the Oval later.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

sorry but who are west ham again Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

play abandoned for the day Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 3:14 pm

jimbob boxing the gooch!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

At least I'll be able to concentrate on the Hammers winning 3-0 on Sat and the Sky Blues holding the Saints to a draw at the same time! Imagination is a powerful thing eh?![/quote]

Hi Gooch, i don't think we wan't that outcome because I think I'm right in saying that the saints would go up on basis of having identical goal difference but the better results against us.... apologies if i'm wrong! - its been gloriously sunny here for most of the day on the s coast... so a bit galling that there's been no play... still on the positive side and given the weather forecast, we should be on for atleast 3 points by Sunday! which is probably what the hammers will get along with the Saints so playoffs here we come.... and if I'm really honest... the Saints do deserve to go up! Shocked

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

Goochie, Chichester, Corporal and any other Hammers fans looking in - unfortunately, I wouldn't bank too much on the Sky Blues doing you a favour. I was brought up in the West Midlands and was at Highfield Road in 1967 when Coventry won the old Division Two title and went up to the top tier of English football. How they've fallen!

Back to the cricket. I heard play was abandoned shortly after lunch. Apparently, the umpires had promised a pitch inspection immediately after lunch. Being men of their word, they carried out the inspection - under golf umbrellas as the rain came down! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

Ah Ah, Guildford... I hadn't got you down as a west midlander!
my only hope for saturday is that the Sky Blues have been so widely pilloried for recent performances that there is a bit of pride, new contracts or maybe scouts from other clubs watching, and no pressure... but in reality I'm doing a bit of straw clutching! Back on topic, I guess the Oval has seen a lot more rain in the last couple of days than we've had down here.... been listening to a bit of the commentary on 5 live of the lancs v Someset match... Lancs down well... good commentary with Vic Marks... at tea time there was an interesting interview with Schofield and Alison Mitchell... Did you know that Schofield's wife is a skin therapist?!! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:35 pm

Hi Chichester - been down this neck of the woods for well over thirty years now so all a bit of a memory. Follow Woking more these days (as does Jade Dernbach who lives nearby) but still keep an eye out for the Sky Blues' results.

I like Alison Mitchell - listened to her during the Middlesex game when she seemed to humour the male commentators well. Don't know anything about Schofield's wife. Was anything said about what he's up to now? I was pleased that Adams paid tribute to him at the Club's AGM last month.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

To be honest, Guildford Bat, I can't remember... I was trying to do two things at once... I remember him saying that their family had spent the winter in Australia and his wife had this very good job! sorry I can't remember what he said... he certainly seemed very chirpy about life. Agree about Alison Mitchell... she's even done the sports news on Today on Radio 4 sometimes and is very good at that... yes I thought she was excellent on the 5 live sports commentary.... maybe a promotion to Test Match Special at some point in the future? - forecast not too bad for tomorrow so hopefully should be some play and maybe Saturday as well.... given Ramps views on the wickets at present, 2 days should be enough to get a result Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:To be honest, Guildford Bat, I can't remember... I was trying to do two things at once... I remember him saying that their family had spent the winter in Australia and his wife had this very good job! sorry I can't remember what he said... he certainly seemed very chirpy about life. Agree about Alison Mitchell... she's even done the sports news on Today on Radio 4 sometimes and is very good at that... yes I thought she was excellent on the 5 live sports commentary.... maybe a promotion to Test Match Special at some point in the future? - forecast not too bad for tomorrow so hopefully should be some play and maybe Saturday as well.... given Ramps views on the wickets at present, 2 days should be enough to get a result Very Happy

Unfortunately promoting anybody new (and half decent) to TMS seems to be greeted with dismay that the BBC dare give airtime to anybody other than Blowers, CMJ, Aggers and co. Arlo White, who I thought was a good, young commentator, was given a go a few years ago, but was greeted with a torrent of complaints.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

chichestersurryfan wrote: At least I'll be able to concentrate on the Hammers winning 3-0 on Sat and the Sky Blues holding the Saints to a draw at the same time! Imagination is a powerful thing eh?!

[/quote]
Hi Gooch, i don't think we wan't that outcome because I think I'm right in saying that the saints would go up on basis of having identical goal difference but the better results against us.... apologies if i'm wrong! - its been gloriously sunny here for most of the day on the s coast... so a bit galling that there's been no play... still on the positive side and given the weather forecast, we should be on for atleast 3 points by Sunday! which is probably what the hammers will get along with the Saints so playoffs here we come.... and if I'm really honest... the Saints do deserve to go up! Shocked [/quote]

Hi Chichester, I thought goals scored came before head to head - again I'm not sure meself, but to be honest also, I agree with your last comment!
If Guardiola fancies a real challenge next season.....................

Anyway, bit brighter today, still no news on the Beeb or Cricinfo of teams/toss though

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:58 am

Inspection at 11.30 churchy reports

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

No play before lunch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 27 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

Play abandoned for the day Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:28 pm

I was amazed to hear play abandoned! - so much for my prediction of play today and tomorrow! - it hasn't rained down here for 2 days! - again glorously sunny for a lot of today! - weather forecast now atrocious for the whole weekend so I think we'll just take our 3 points if that is what it is, for a draw and move on.... v frustrating!
Shelsey 93 mentioned Arlo White... I do remember him.. I thought he was good too... whatever happened to him?

TheGooch 7 - I agree - it would be a bit of a challenge for Guardiola... but I'm sure he'd be up for it Very Happy tbh I'm not Sam's no 1 fan! - still naively believe in the beautiful passing game... not much in evidence in Upton Park this season...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 8:43 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:I was amazed to hear play abandoned! - so much for my prediction of play today and tomorrow! - it hasn't rained down here for 2 days! - again glorously sunny for a lot of today! - weather forecast now atrocious for the whole weekend so I think we'll just take our 3 points if that is what it is, for a draw and move on.... v frustrating!
Shelsey 93 mentioned Arlo White... I do remember him.. I thought he was good too... whatever happened to him?

TheGooch 7 - I agree - it would be a bit of a challenge for Guardiola... but I'm sure he'd be up for it Very Happy tbh I'm not Sam's no 1 fan! - still naively believe in the beautiful passing game... not much in evidence in Upton Park this season...

I think Arlo White ended up being briefly doing some US Sports for 5live, and then moving to America to work over there.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:24 pm

Looks as tho there is close to zero chance of play after lunch tomorrow with rain coming up from the south east. If the ground is too wet to start first thing I would say the entire match likely to be blanked out.

If there is any play the only option is to put opposition in since that represents the only possibility of getting any points from the match beyond the points for a draw.

Don't hold out much hope of Coventry doing Hammers a favour...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 28 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

Not that there is likely to be enough play for it to be relevant but Law 13 (b) can come into play in this game, which reduces the follow-on score to 100 if a game starts with 2 days remaining. Given the points situation (not very good if you get a draw) innings forfeitures could be an outside possibility as well. But in all likelihood there will be at most three hours play, before two more days of unbroken rain set in.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Drizzle this morning south of London. Looking more closely I would say it's actually steady rain

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 28 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

No play before lunch still raining Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

Captains and umpires in the middle though still raining - I would hazard that an abandonment would be considered, though captains may worry that the points situation doesn't make that a good option.

EDIT: Play abandoned for the day but they will try again tomorrow.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

a sunday one day match could be exciting if both captains could agree to it Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 28 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:a sunday one day match could be exciting if both captains could agree to it Very Happy

Except that the forecast for tomorrow is worse than today Sad

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 Apr 2012, 1:10 pm

Might not be too bad on Sunday afternoon.....after raining more or less continuously for the previous 24 Hours

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 28 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

It seems incredibly unfair that a side who get hammered by an innings having bowled out the opposition for say 600 in 110 overs in their first innings get as many points from the game as a side who lose narrowly after scoring less than 200 in their first innings (almost Surrey against Middx), or both sides from a 4 day washout (Surrey v Durham, unless something extraordinary happens). But I'm not sure what if anything could be done to rectify this.

As the letter writer to the papers asked this week: is this now officially the wettest drought on record?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:07 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:a sunday one day match could be exciting if both captains could agree to it Very Happy

Except that the forecast for tomorrow is worse than today Sad
what do those weather people know Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:08 pm

At this rate relegation will be mostly determined by which teams have the worst fortune with the weather.

Churchy shows commendable devotion to duty on the Surrey web site, standing out in the rain to report that the third day's play has been abandoned.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Churchy shows commendable devotion to duty on the Surrey web site, standing out in the rain to report that the third day's play has been abandoned.

Corporal - yes, I thought that was impressive. Very Happy

I hope we get better weather at Guildford!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

guildfordbat wrote:...I hope we get better weather at Guildford!
And better too than the last time Chichester and I went to Guildford... thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

Match now officially abandoned. 3 points each.

I don't think we can begrudge Churchy doing his fourth day report from the dry of the commentary box with shots of the saturated outfield!

What's the weather for Friday? Somerset at the Oval then for a repeat of last season's CB40 final ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

guildfordbat wrote:Match now officially abandoned. 3 points each.

I don't think we can begrudge Churchy doing his fourth day report from the dry of the commentary box with shots of the saturated outfield!

What's the weather for Friday? Somerset at the Oval then for a repeat of last season's CB40 final ....

3 points each is a very harsh system. You might get 3 points if you lost by an innings... In my view you should get 8 points each here.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

Shelsey93,

Couldn't agree more - see my earlier post on this thread timed at 1655 yesterday.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:11 pm

i will now edit the 1st post Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:31 pm

I guess one of the issues with awarding more points for a complete washout is where to draw the line. For instance Essex were put into bat v Northants but there were only 27 overs possible in the whole match - which means for practical purposes Essex had pretty much no chance of getting any bonus points at all, whereas Northants had at least some chance of getting a point or two.

Might need a Duckworth Lewis system mark two for working out possible effect of loss of time on a side's ability to get points. Very Happy

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I guess one of the issues with awarding more points for a complete washout is where to draw the line. For instance Essex were put into bat v Northants but there were only 27 overs possible in the whole match - which means for practical purposes Essex had pretty much no chance of getting any bonus points at all, whereas Northants had at least some chance of getting a point or two.

Might need a Duckworth Lewis system mark two for working out possible effect of loss of time on a side's ability to get points. Very Happy

Perhaps if the first innings - the time in which bonus points can be achieved isn't completed, then a set number of points should be awarded to each team. If that potentially causes teams to never declare, or get really defensive, then maybe a set number of overs. Maybe 80 or 100. Something needs to be done.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down