The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P4P British Rankings

5 posters

Go down

P4P British Rankings Empty P4P British Rankings

Post by Union Cane Thu 26 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

1. Carl Froch - Super-middleweight - Nottingham (28-2, 20KOs)

Froch was outclassed by American Andre Ward in the final of the Super Six but could become a world champion when he fights IBF title-holder Lucian Bute in May.

2. Amir Khan - Light-welterweight - Bolton (26-2 18KOs)

Khan lost his world titles to Lamont Peterson in December but gets the chance for revenge in May. A defeat for Khan would leave his career in tatters.

3. Ricky Burns - Lightweight - Coatbridge (34-2, 9KOs)

Burns gave a polished performance in beating Paulus Moses and remains on a collison course with Essex fighter kevin Mitchell. That could be a classic.

4. Kell Brook - Welterweight - Sheffield (26-0, 17KOs)

Brook completely outclassed domestic rival Matthew Hatton in March and stands on the verge of a world title tilt. Has plenty of options in a talent-rich division.

5. Nathan Cleverly - Light-heavyweight - Cefn Fforest (24-0, 11KOs)

Cleverly outpointed American Tommy Karpency in February and the rather uninspiring performance suggested the Welshman needs to be stepped up in class.

6. Matthew Macklin - Middleweight - Birmingham (28-4, 19KOs)

Macklin gave another gallant display in losing to middleweight king Sergio Martinez in New York. Perhaps a match with domestic rival Darren Barker is next?

7. Darren Barker - Middleweight - London (23-1, 14KOs)

Barker pushed Argentine veteran Sergio Martinez all the way in a world-title challenge before finally being knocked out. British fight fans would love to see a match-up with Macklin.

8. Martin Murray - Middleweight - St Helens (23-0-1, 910KOs)

Murray was unlucky to draw with Felix Sturm in the German's backyard but forms part of a triumvirate of very solid British middleweights indeed.

9. Kevin Mitchell - Lightweight - Dagenham (32-1, 24KOs)

Mitchell looked back to his best in beating domestic rival John Murray in July. The fight every British fight fan wants now is Mitchell versus Burns.

10. Tony Bellew - Light-heavyweight - Liverpool (16-1, 10KOs)

Next up Bellew defends his British light-heavyweight crown against Danny McIntosh in April. Given his stirring display against Nathan Cleverly, Bellew should prevail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17691531

Can't fault it.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

P4P British Rankings Empty Re: P4P British Rankings

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Well the top four names are certainly the right ones, though you could perhaps quibble over the order a little. I'm not sure anyone at Light-Welterweight could beat Khan as decisively as Ward beat Froch, but then again I don't think there's anyone at Light-Welterweight who's as good as Ward, either. Khan has a decent claim to the top spot, but given that Froch hasn't accommodated any 'safe bet' opponents along the Salita / McCloskey lines over the past two or three years, I'd be happy to keep him top of the pile, just about.

Brook and Burns pretty much even in my eyes, too, and can be switched depending on which criteria you hold nearest and dearest.

Not quite sure if Bellew is good value for his tenth spot, mind you. A very spirited effort against Cleverly, but his performances against McKenzie were nothing to shout about beforehand, and I'd question how far he can go at 175 lb on the world stage. Would perhaps edge Groves in front of him.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Are you disappointed that your man Tyson Fury is not there, Union? Maybe at Bellew's expense?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

Gutted mate, but as the bigger fish are fried I am sure he will rise up the ranks.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:12 am

I don't have a strong opinion on Fury, but he has won his biggest fight and held the British/Commonwealth title, whereas Bellew lost his toughest fight, albeit closely, and hasn't fought since. I wouldn't have a problem with Fury replacing him or as Chris suggested, Groves.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

Would have Groves in at 10 instead of Bellew (though he's risking the spot with all these failed fights) but apart from that agree with all the above.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Perhaps if Groves shed a few pounds and lost to Sergio Martinez he might be higher up the list?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

I reckon we should conduct 606v2 British P4P rankings?

Mine would be

1) Amir Khan
2) Carl Froch
3) Ricky Burns
4) Nathan Cleverly
5) Kell Brook
6) Matthew Macklin
7) George Groves
8) Tony Bellew
9) Martin Murray
10) James DeGale

Soldier_Of_Fortune