The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero

+7
coxy0001
D4thincarnation
WDR
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
BALTIMORA
azania
Sugar Boy Sweetie
11 posters

Go down

Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero Empty Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:33 pm

This is the undercard bout for the Maidana - Morales match next weekend, and is a much tastier prospect than the main event itself.

Both guys have suffered recent personal trauma, katsidas losing his brother prior to his stoppage defeat to JM Marquez, and Guerrero has not long returned to boxing following his wifes battle with leukaemia.

Both guys can punch, although Katsidas is more of an all out warfare guy than Guerrero who likes to box behind his southpaw skills. Marquez showed that if a technically proficient fighter can take Katsisas power and mix it up when needed then he can handle Kats. I fancy Guerrero to win this via decision as I feel he is a more rounded fighter than the exciting, but one slightly dimensional Katsidas.

This fight has kind of flown under the radar but I think it has the ingredients for FOTY potential. If Geurrero can get the win I'd like to see him have a crack at Marquez (assuming Marquez can't secure a 3rd date with manny).

What are your thoughts on this fight?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero Empty Re: Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero

Post by azania Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Any fight that Katsidis is involved has the potential to be FOTY. Not the most skilled operator, but damn, he is exciting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero Empty Re: Michael Katsidas vs Robert Guerrrero

Post by BALTIMORA Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Of the two I think I'd rather see Katsidis take this one. After losing his brother and being stopped by Marquez I wonder if he'd see much point in fighting on if he suffers consecutive losses, and if he DOES, then I can't see him being much more than a gatekeeper.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 pm

I think Gurrero might take this one. Kats is a one dimensional fighter and JMM showed if you can take his shots then he can't beat you. Guerrero to outbox him to a wide UD. Definately a FOTY candidate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WDR Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 am

The better more fluid technical skills are with 'The Ghost' and I think he'll move and look to counter the more predictable Katsidis.

I've seen Guerrero fight a few times and he doesn't really seem that solid a fighter and his power is respectable rather than hard hitting. I heard Katsidis had picked up a cut in training but thats just a rumour.

Katsidis has had an awful 12 months out of the ring and the defeat to Marquez, while heroic was also devastating interms of the effort he put into winning but still lost.

Guerrero should nick this on points but I'm gonna go out on a limb and can see Katsidis getting the stoppage. (Heart over head)

WDR

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 pm

It is the fight I'm looking forward to this weekend, should be a great fight and though Guerrero is the more technical boxer, I want Katsidis to win and I think he will.

His heart, will and determination will be too much for Guerrero.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Picking Guerrero in this one

Bit too technical for Katsidis. May have to get off the deck to do it as well.

Think MK may have had one war too many, showing signs of tear. Will be watching as a neutral as i'm a fan of both.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Ayup Sweetie, nice article and mention for this fight, which could be a cracker. I'm a fan of both, but while my heart says Katsidis, my head is saying Guerrero. Mind you, I still reckon that even if Guerrero (slightly more technical and methodical than Katsidis) wins, it'll still be a quality fight.

I think Katsidis will put him through absolute hell for the fist five or six rounds, and may even be getting the better of it, but I'm not fully convinced that Katsidis has the stamina to maintain such a frenetic style right until the latter stages without leaving himself open to be countered, which Guerrero certainly has the skills to exploit. We've seen Katsidis run out of steam once or twice before, and I think that Guerrero will pace himself a little bit better and see his superior boxing ability come in to play from the middle rounds onwards, taking a win on the cards or possibly a late, late stoppage.

Promises to be a great and interesting fight all the same, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:38 pm

I know Guerrero is supposed to win this, to set him up for big fights in the future fights, but I think Katsidis will catch up with him in the late rounds. Guerrero is probably a better 'boxer' but Kats wouldn't have gave JMM so many problems if he was completely useless in that regard.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 pm

this will be a great fight i reckon and i am looking forward to the card in general with Paulie v Cotto and Morales (the ghost of) v Maidana altho i fear a legal murder as i read somewhere else today in that one.

Kats has never been able to beat a top contender as it were really and has fell short against his 3 toughest opponets,so would love to see him prevail here,all depends of guerrero chin. Kats will come forward and look to throw dynamite, If Guerrero can weather he will get shots off and personally i feel anyone who stays with KAts, can cut him up and possibly TKO him

gonna be grand fight and as i live in North America i can watch on HBO sweeeet

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

It would be such a shame for a fighter like Katsidis to finish his career without being a world champion.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:It would be such a shame for a fighter like Katsidis to finish his career without being a world champion.

Can't Manny donate one of his world titles to Katsidis or something then, if that's the case? I mean he has about 434 of them in 112 weight classes, he's not exactly going to miss just one of them, is he?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wright Hook Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I think Guerrero will box smartly and win a unanimmous decision - will be rooting for Kats tho!

Wright Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:It would be such a shame for a fighter like Katsidis to finish his career without being a world champion.

Cant believe I agree with you. Especially in the modern game with so many titles going about.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:38 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:

Cant believe I agree with you. Especially in the modern game with so many titles going about.

You can't help but admire the heart and effort he puts into his fight even when he is facing tough round after tough round and it is only a matter of time till the inevitable happen he will put everything into that round and the rest of the fight hoping to win.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Was hoping he would beat JMM showed real heart to get in their after what happened with his brother which would have seriously harmed his preparation. Think he was just out of his depth against a P4P top 5 fighter. Whose title is this a final eliminator for?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:50 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Was hoping he would beat JMM showed real heart to get in their after what happened with his brother which would have seriously harmed his preparation. Think he was just out of his depth against a P4P top 5 fighter. Whose title is this a final eliminator for?

I had my money on JMM, I'm a big fan of Marquez but felt gutted for Katsidis when he lost. What did you think of the interview after the fight?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Don't remember seeing then mate I watched it on a poor stream had to download it and it never had the interviews on it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:59 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Don't remember seeing then mate I watched it on a poor stream had to download it and it never had the interviews on it.

Merchant was asking him about his brother and Kats was understandingly tearing up. Just wanted to see you view on Merchants questions to him. I'll see if I can find it.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

I read about it Merchant shouldn't have mentioned his brother to him it's his private life and should be kept that way.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Larry merchant needed a smack for the way he said soemthinglike

'you said you wanterd to make your brother proud, do you think he would be proud?' but in such a dead pan way that it sounded lie he was giving him grief for losing.idiot

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Very poor from a man of Merchants age and experience in his job should know better.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down